Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

yeah zestimate is high.

Redfin estimator gets it right but only the day before a sale by using the mortgage calculator to steal the max offer somebody is going to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Crusty Nutsack posted:

when I eventually buy a house at 40-something I will stay there forever, bitch

realtors call these "forever homes"

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

yeah, while this is a cute game, the current zestimate for my home is $125,000 above what we paid for it in 2020. unlikely!

ours is apparently set to have gained a clean 50% over our purchase price according to all of them i can see for free. we also bought in (early) 2020. calolifornia

e: and in 12 months (and change) at the rate of last month's increase sees it gain the other 50%. somehow i doubt that, probably because i'm a dumbass

H.P. Hovercraft has issued a correction as of 06:27 on May 16, 2022

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Everyone Zillow your childhood home
Mine: $289,500 for a 4 bedroom ranch in a town mostly known for meth

North seattle starter in maple leaf neighborhood, 1100 sq ft 2bdrm nothing fancy at all little nice back yard. 150k in 1987, i think she sold it for 250k in 1995. They upgraded the front with a faux mid-century front deck and its 1.1mil now

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

North seattle starter in maple leaf neighborhood, 1100 sq ft 2bdrm nothing fancy at all little nice back yard. 150k in 1987, i think she sold it for 250k in 1995. They upgraded the front with a faux mid-century front deck and its 1.1mil now

Lmao

I'm renting a place in Tacoma, 120k in 2012, 550k in 2022.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It's called zillmate

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
my parents home is only $71k on zillow. buncha old money ghouls itt

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

euphronius posted:

starter home was what you got immediately after you got married before you had a lot of kids and “needed more space “

the house I live in was probably built as a "starter home"

I'd be interested to know what cost in todays dollars when it was built (in like 1955)

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Yeah Zillow estimate sucks. There amazing algorithm ran their home flipping subsidiary straight into the ground last year. They lost half a $420 million in 3 months.

In fairness they did not have to bolt a house-buying machine directly to the estimate machine and just flip the switch and walk off

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I was doing family research a few years ago and found out my immigrant great grandfather bought his house (a three story row home adjacent to the neighborhood I grew up in) for $1100 while his salary was listed at $950.

can you imagine buying a 5br/2bath house (though I think it was 6br/1bath when purchased, the third floor bathroom was way nicer than the second floor’s) with a basement for 115% your annual salary lol

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

rent values have been rapidly increasing the past few months and will continue to do so, making calls on what monthly amount will get you what where is premature, and the product of this forums being filled with computer touchers who use leftwing politics as a way to fulfill their pathological desire to be right online

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
[quote="Deadly Ham Sandwich" post=""52347"] Complaints that it doesn't go far really remind me more of rich people talking about spending huge amounts of money and complaining about barely having anything left over to feed their family.
[/quote]

you just described being a parent

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Agean90 posted:

rent values have been rapidly increasing the past few months and will continue to do so, making calls on what monthly amount will get you what where is premature, and the product of this forums being filled with computer touchers who use leftwing politics as a way to fulfill their pathological desire to be right online

I would like housing

being correct online is a close second tho

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Drunkboxer posted:

must be in a real shithole area or something then, basically the shittiest home in any slightly livable market had rocketed up over the last 5 years

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Agean90 posted:

k

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019
Soon starter homes will return as the squat you inhabit while planning your assault and conquest of the house you really want to live in

bonelessdongs has issued a correction as of 01:51 on May 17, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Rents are gonna get so high they'll loop back around and you can get a 7 bed 5 bath for $10

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

haha remember when that guy in NY used “the rent is too drat high” as a meme while running his farcical electoral bid? Crazy how much that would resonate with people if it hadn’t been presented as a joke for some reason. Oh well.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

TheSlutPit posted:

haha remember when that guy in NY used “the rent is too drat high” as a meme while running his farcical electoral bid? Crazy how much that would resonate with people if it hadn’t been presented as a joke for some reason. Oh well.

Well he was a joke in other ways, but yea it was a solid slogan.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Drunkboxer posted:

hmm red state that isn't having a huge boom in dipshit yankees....gonna go with Kansas

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Agean90 posted:

https://i.imgur.com/KBtYmqX.mp4

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Agean90 posted:

That’s why I felt forced to bite the bullet on a house.

Rent going up, rates going up, gonna get hosed either way.

Good news is I have plenty of motivation to learn carpentry now.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Agean90 posted:

:qq:

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

FizFashizzle posted:

Good news is I have plenty of motivation to learn carpentry now.

I have some good news for you re: the price of wood,

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Peanut President posted:

hmm red state that isn't having a huge boom in dipshit yankees....gonna go with Kansas

Lol, my parents 70k in 1994 house is now 250k in kansas

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

shrike82 posted:

lol must suck to be canadian

it does suck

a single detached home costs around $1.5M here in major urban centres like Toronto and Vancouver. New build single detached are more like $2.5M.

if you are a millennial couple who make the coveted six figgies in combined income, there is no way you’d be approved unless you have 20% of the purchase price in cash which is a big lol

what they’re building now are stacked townhomes, basically low rise condos with separate entrances. they’re still going for close to a million if you need one big enough to raise a family

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
We require more vespine gas loonies and toonies

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Detroit to Toronto is only 230 miles so …. you’d save money by living in Detroit and commuting

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

single detached homes should be outlawed along with personal automobiles tbh

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

indigi posted:

single detached homes should be outlawed along with personal automobiles tbh

we’ve dedicated entire swaths of the greater Toronto area to single detached, so if you want to buy a place big enough for a family, it’s gonna be one of those ones that are already built. if you can’t afford to buy, chances are you’ll be renting someone’s basement since we stopped making rental apartments at some point

naturally the transit sucks in those places, so cars are a necessity. let this be a lesson to future city planners lol

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Is there any place in the PNW where things are cheaper?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

err posted:

probably not anywhere you’d want to live

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I believe americas policy is that if you can’t figure it out you’re welcome to die under one of the millions of beautiful PNW trees

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

TheSlutPit posted:

IIRC he became a meme because the slogan did resonate and also because he was a ridiculous person otherwise.

like I don’t think most people sharing it disagreed

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

err posted:

We were looking for houses in the PNW we could afford last night. Debating moving to a place where the nearest real grocery and hospital is an hour and a half away

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Schmeichy posted:

We were looking for houses in the PNW we could afford last night. Debating moving to a place where the nearest real grocery and hospital is an hour and a half away

the two places I've been in the PNW that aren't urban are Lincoln City and Hood River, and drat those are some prices

of course I think they are both pretty touristy, especially Hood River with the Columbia River, vineyards, and great views of Mt Hood

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

actionjackson posted:

the two places I've been in the PNW that aren't urban are Lincoln City and Hood River, and drat those are some prices

of course I think they are both pretty touristy, especially Hood River with the Columbia River, vineyards, and great views of Mt Hood

Yeah you have to get real deep into the chudlands for prices to go down

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

err posted:

Idaho

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

lol

have you looked at the Boise (and Boise area) property market lately my dude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Not even West Virginia is free of this bubble.

Note: house is uninhabitable.