Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I typically write "species for X type game" so I can remember what they are for and the date, like species name"RT01", "spc for tall research build 5-16-22", or MC01 "spc for megacorp run 5-16-22".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hah, Guilli did some optimization in this latest patch for Planetary Modifiers. I'll be damned if it actually was causing some performance issues as of late

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm playing a Determined Exterminator and this is my first game as the Crisis. When I go to war, the systems are reverting to neutral as opposed to me taking them over (unless there's a planet in them). What's causing that? My War Goal, the AI abandoning the system, something else? It's annoying having to keep constructors close to my fleets to re-starbase the system.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

So are mercenary fleets supposed to cost upkeep? I would have thought one of the benefits is that you dump a wad of cash to hire one then don't have to worry about that.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm playing a Determined Exterminator and this is my first game as the Crisis. When I go to war, the systems are reverting to neutral as opposed to me taking them over (unless there's a planet in them). What's causing that? My War Goal, the AI abandoning the system, something else? It's annoying having to keep constructors close to my fleets to re-starbase the system.

You're a Crisis, you blow up starbases like any other crisis.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

TheCIASentMe posted:

If you really want it fixed, I think this will work:

Downgrade the Zantos Blackhole Station to nothing (releasing the system) and it should allow the non-core sector to expand into the planet area.

Then you’ll have to rebuild the station to reclaim the system.

If you disband the station while paused, you should be able to queue up the new station without any influence cost since it's still technically your space until you unpause.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Porkness posted:

You guys are still writing something for the species description at the empire creation screen, right?

I would if the UI would let me enter line breaks without having to paste in from a text editor. And if it added a scroll bar for long descriptions.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I think the AI is getting a little TOO good. I've had to scale down from Commodore to Captain, and am considering going lower, because even at those difficulties surviving the first 25 years is pure RNG. You either buddy up with your immediate neighbor or they crush you. It simply isn't possible to keep up with how fast they can poo poo out corvettes no matter what you do.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The player’s snow ball is still better than what the AI empires can put together, I’m not sure how that could be fixed really.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

The player’s snow ball is still better than what the AI empires can put together, I’m not sure how that could be fixed really.

Yeah this is a perennial problem with strategy games it seems. Either the AI is too weak early on and stagnates for ever, or it's mathematically impossible to surpass early on and you have to follow a script (if not outright exploit) to keep it from destroying you at the first opportunity.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Jabarto posted:

I think the AI is getting a little TOO good. I've had to scale down from Commodore to Captain, and am considering going lower, because even at those difficulties surviving the first 25 years is pure RNG. You either buddy up with your immediate neighbor or they crush you. It simply isn't possible to keep up with how fast they can poo poo out corvettes no matter what you do.
Turn the difficulty up but enable scaling difficulty.

You get a fair enemy early on and a boosted one as you snowball

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Jabarto posted:

this makes me happy to read. I put a lot of effort in making tons of bug reports (w/ saves) and threads about the AI in the past year or two. More importantly, PDX actually stepped up and did something about it with at least 1 dedicated staffer over multiple releases. I look forward to building a federation (or, in 3.4, maybe having some vassals...) where the AI allies do the heavy lifting in the endgame fighting tedious enemies.

hobbesmaster posted:

the AI snowball is getting a little firmer than it was, though. it can even defeat the Crisis on its own regularly in 3.4 with default settings and no human help. I observed this in 4-5 games in 3.4.2 and none of my test games ended up with a crisis faction overrunning the galaxy. Unheard of in, say, 3.2

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

Turn the difficulty up but enable scaling difficulty.

You get a fair enemy early on and a boosted one as you snowball

That's what I tried on my last game. I set it to scale up to Grand Admiral and the AI killed me 70 years in, so even a midlevel difficulty might be enough to work.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the AI is getting better. It just seems weird that the baseline is so high.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Jabarto posted:

That's what I tried on my last game. I set it to scale up to Grand Admiral and the AI killed me 70 years in, so even a midlevel difficulty might be enough to work.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the AI is getting better. It just seems weird that the baseline is so high.

In, say, 3.0/3.1, the AI was so utterly incompetent at managing its economy on default settings that left to its own devices, it would more often that not just death spiral and fall apart in internal rebellion. Or have utterly no capability to ramp up alloys to make a fleet. All sorts of REALLY bad problems that most people masked by just... cranking the difficulty way up in order to give the AIs free resources so they could not self-implode.

This sucked if you had vassals because they would not get bonuses. Also it sucked when you took over enemy planets because they were nonsensical. Also it didn't really help the AI scale up in the endgame.

Some basic bugfixes and other changes to the economic AI (and now in 3.4, military AI fixes) have made the AI something that at least gives people an interesting game to play without cranking up everything to grand admiral or whatever. I think it's very neat and bodes well for the longevity of Stellaris.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
How is it so goddamn hard to get mega engineering!

I have all the bloody prereqs and 5 citadels, what the hell else can I do!

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

pmchem posted:

In, say, 3.0/3.1, the AI was so utterly incompetent at managing its economy on default settings that left to its own devices, it would more often that not just death spiral and fall apart in internal rebellion. Or have utterly no capability to ramp up alloys to make a fleet. All sorts of REALLY bad problems that most people masked by just... cranking the difficulty way up in order to give the AIs free resources so they could not self-implode.

This sucked if you had vassals because they would not get bonuses. Also it sucked when you took over enemy planets because they were nonsensical. Also it didn't really help the AI scale up in the endgame.

Some basic bugfixes and other changes to the economic AI (and now in 3.4, military AI fixes) have made the AI something that at least gives people an interesting game to play without cranking up everything to grand admiral or whatever. I think it's very neat and bodes well for the longevity of Stellaris.

Yeah I've seen your posts and I'm really impressed by how hard you're pushing AI stuff. And yeah, it'll take some fiddling but I'm fairly confident that the pieces are there to find a mode that works for me.

Also in fairness I was playing as Inward Perfectionists this last game so I couldn't even attempt to ally anyone to help me out. After trying it I'm pretty convinced it's the Doomsday Origin of civics.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Natural 20 posted:

The biggest thing would be having any megastructure in your empire, which multiples the tech's weight by 20. Other than that...

Have a habitat

Have a neighbor with the tech

Have Technological Ascendancy

Build a 6th Citadel

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
what is with all yall giving your planets functional names are whinging about the defaults

i lovingly name all of my planets in alignment with whatever species i am currently RPing. this is the only way. i often rename the stars too

why name something Boring Prime when you can name stars after Soviet animators and the planets after their cartoon characters. this is what makes stellaris /fun/

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Why are people still renaming their planets "Mining" or whatever with the new Designation icons that you can even reorder?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Natural 20 posted:

Don't research any of the kinetic or torpedo weapons tech, at all, so they don't start clogging your research options. You also need like six? tier 4 techs researched.

Shattered Ring origin is good to guarantee a megastructure in your empire but that has its own caveats.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Rycalawre posted:

Oh my loving god I just discovered what the Edicts Fund actually does.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
lmaooo

Ok, if you have a mercenary enclave in your systems? Possibly one you may have taken from an enemy during a war? You may need to keep a garrison or defensive starbase keeping a close eye on them because enemies can and will hire them to fight you, and they'll start their contract right where their enclave is.

Fortunately, you can always fight them on your own terms and once the base gets blown to poo poo, the mercs are gone. You even get a bounty off it!

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Jack Trades posted:

It hurts my soul when I'm invading my friends planet and it's named loving "minerals 7",not even capitalized.

As a long time resident of minerals 7, we would appreciate it if you didn't try to push your colonialist cultural narrative of proper naming conventions down our enlightened society's throat. Why, just the other day I was at residence 500123 and citizen 22290999595 was telling me about how president leader-face wasn't going to win re-election due to the opposition party 'opposition party' and, well, I just can't stomach the thought that they'll come in here and rename our planet "Ex-stacy". We're an upstanding mineral producing community, not someone's ex girlfriend, gosh darn it!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Are there regular MP sessions happening with this? Euro-time goon here. (I checked the discord in the OP but it seems a bit dead)

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

toasterwarrior posted:

Hah, Guilli did some optimization in this latest patch for Planetary Modifiers. I'll be damned if it actually was causing some performance issues as of late

Mostly just loading a fair few scripts in memory so they aren't reloaded every time they are needed. Let me know if you notice any difference mid to late game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Guilliman posted:

Mostly just loading a fair few scripts in memory so they aren't reloaded every time they are needed. Let me know if you notice any difference mid to late game.

Thanks duder!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I've been messing around with the shroud walkers and out of chaining using them, they seem to do almost nothing most of the time. The best boon I've seen from them so far was a whopping 10% unity bonus for 5 years. It's a shame that the latent psionic trait is tied to that rather uninspiring origin. Now it's mostly just a calculus of is the saved ascendancy pic worth it? Influence is such an in-demand resource now, it feels very difficult to justify using the fate option. The unity bonus was also tied to using a rather large quantity of influence to get it, since it required a couple of investments of 100 influence at a time

On the shoulders of Giants seems to provide a much better bonus overall, especially since you can have the first half of the bonus completed very early

Sloober fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 17, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Still cracking up that they looked at the worst part of shroud diving and thought yes, let's do more of that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Splicer posted:

Still cracking up that they looked at the worst part of shroud diving and thought yes, let's do more of that.
Same.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

toasterwarrior posted:

lmaooo

Ok, if you have a mercenary enclave in your systems? Possibly one you may have taken from an enemy during a war? You may need to keep a garrison or defensive starbase keeping a close eye on them because enemies can and will hire them to fight you, and they'll start their contract right where their enclave is.

Fortunately, you can always fight them on your own terms and once the base gets blown to poo poo, the mercs are gone. You even get a bounty off it!

If that's working as intended, it shouldn't. The mercs should probably teleport to the capital of whoever hires them, a little like how ships that you buy from the scrappers will teleport to your capital.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Dramicus posted:

If that's working as intended, it shouldn't. The mercs should probably teleport to the capital of whoever hires them, a little like how ships that you buy from the scrappers will teleport to your capital.

Yeah I hope it gets fixed if it isn't intended. Considering it can even happen to mercenaries you create yourself, and it seems that having the hired fleet recalled doesn't work properly...

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Idk I kind of like it working like that. From my albeit limited experience those dudes pay out pretty well, and this seems like a good way to balance the risk vs. reward. Plus you can use it against other empires.

Maybe make a warning when they’re hired and give you a month or something before they actually launch operations so you can try to buy them out of the contract first.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Splicer posted:

like my primary conclusion is "don't even engage with shroudwalkers other than maybe getting the planetary decision". it just asks for so much investment with SO LITTLE return. at least the shroud is just 1k energy every 10 years or whatever, instead of sinking 50 influence minimum into getting the chance at a mediocre bonus. There's a lot of new things i like with this expansion/update but this feels like they almost made psionics worse by adding another dumb RNG mechanic you have no reason to really engage with

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Half-wit posted:

As a long time resident of minerals 7, we would appreciate it if you didn't try to push your colonialist cultural narrative of proper naming conventions down our enlightened society's throat. Why, just the other day I was at residence 500123 and citizen 22290999595 was telling me about how president leader-face wasn't going to win re-election due to the opposition party 'opposition party' and, well, I just can't stomach the thought that they'll come in here and rename our planet "Ex-stacy". We're an upstanding mineral producing community, not someone's ex girlfriend, gosh darn it!

I've been roleplaying as a hive where everything is called NOX. The race, it's leaders, battlefleets, ships & planets. If I could rename systems they'd be all called NOX too.

Why?

Why not?

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Mr Darcy posted:

I've been roleplaying as a hive where everything is called NOX. The race, it's leaders, battlefleets, ships & planets. If I could rename systems they'd be all called NOX too.

Why?

Why not?

You can rename systems by renaming the star of the system.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Mr Darcy posted:

Why?

Why not?

You can rename systems by renaming their primary star, unless that's a mod or they changed it recently.

e: beaten by shroud precognition

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Personally I just use the in-game name lists. Gets a bit of flavor for no more effort than pushing a button. Mayybe slight alterations if I'm feeling it. Besides, I can always use the designation to tell the difference between t'Pol-v'Ko, Sujamma's Bite and Kerm-Te-Bog or whatever.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Sloober posted:

like my primary conclusion is "don't even engage with shroudwalkers other than maybe getting the planetary decision". it just asks for so much investment with SO LITTLE return. at least the shroud is just 1k energy every 10 years or whatever, instead of sinking 50 influence minimum into getting the chance at a mediocre bonus. There's a lot of new things i like with this expansion/update but this feels like they almost made psionics worse by adding another dumb RNG mechanic you have no reason to really engage with

I got a bonus on a planet that was like 10 stability 20 happiness permanently from them.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Vord posted:

You can rename systems by renaming the star of the system.

Quorum posted:

You can rename systems by renaming their primary star, unless that's a mod or they changed it recently.

e: beaten by shroud precognition

NOX intensifies.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mr Darcy posted:

NOX intensifies.

Thanks.