Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
how do we know squirrel girl remains beaten? it's comics, she's gonna win in a few issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I feel like people are acting like people are talking like people are accusing Slott of something a lot worse than being petty and it’s really weird

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

drrockso20 posted:

Its one of the only good things he's ever done so it makes sense people would post it

Nah gently caress him

Of course part of the joke is that Squirrel Girl's powers aren't even particularly lame, sure the whole "talks to squirrels" thing is the sort of Silver Age type power that mostly doesn't show up anymore except to make fun of but it's still a pretty useful power, and the rest of her power set is basically a blend of Spider-Man's and Wolverine's, people just tend to forget that because she's usually a nonviolent hero and usually manages to resolve issues without beating people up

Again gently caress him and anything he does

This is weird. This is really weird.

Like, unless they're on like an Ethan Van Sciver level, y'all shouldn't be like... so angry at folks. I dunno. It's weird!!!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Karma Tornado posted:

given that this whole thing reads like he's had it in the can since like 2006 there's a nonzero chance Slott actually started the Squirrel Girl is unbeatable running gag in the first place entirely to have it pay off with an otherwise nondescript space villain beating her and then saying like "and here I'd heard this INSIGNIFICANT EARTH WHELP had actually DEFEATED the MAD TITAN" with an editor's note that said "it's true, the Watcher said so!!"

The talk to squirrels thing came up all the time in the Ryan North comic, and her slightly less nice duplicate used it to effectively conquer the world in the original graphic novel that came out.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Like, unless they're on like an Ethan Van Sciver level, y'all shouldn't be like... so angry at folks. I dunno. It's weird!!!

You don't understand. This guy wrote some comics I didn't like and called me a doodyhead on twitter. Therefore he is my mortal enemy.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I just really dislike the man both as a writer and as a human being, he has an undeserved level of success in this industry and in a more just world he'd no longer be employed in it(though I could say this about a LOT of people at both Marvel and DC)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The level of vitriol hasn't really risen above "I wish this comic writer I don't like would stop writing comics, and I especially hate it when they write comics about characters I like." People aren't wishing physical harm or financial ruin on him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Skwirl posted:

The level of vitriol hasn't really risen above "I wish this comic writer I don't like would stop writing comics, and I especially hate it when they write comics about characters I like." People aren't wishing physical harm or financial ruin on him.

But someone called him kind of petty, which is the worst thing you can call a man!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, Dan Slott has 100% been petty in the past and will continue to be so in the future. No doubt about that. Guys who engage with people that criticize them on Twitter like he does are always petty. But the pettiness in this thread towards him has also been a thing even when it's not warranted. Such as in this case.

Also if anyone actually thinks that panel from the FF comic is petty then they're just looking for something to complain about. It's not. It's just basic Bad Guy Dialogue 101. If you want to call it hacky then by all means go ahead because it sure is that.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

X-O posted:

Also if anyone actually thinks that panel from the FF comic is petty then they're just looking for something to complain about. It's not. It's just basic Bad Guy Dialogue 101. If you want to call it hacky then by all means go ahead because it sure is that.

Am I allowed to call it dumb? Because it is dumb. It is a dumb panel and whoever wrote it is dumb.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nah I’m gonna call it petty rather than a word you find more acceptable for whatever bizarre reason you pick

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Potsticker posted:

Am I allowed to call it dumb? Because it is dumb. It is a dumb panel and whoever wrote it is dumb.

Well I don't think that was ever in debate...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Remember that time Slott had Peter access Doc Ocks memories and he relived Ock and May banging?

He's such a good writer.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Blockhouse posted:

I don't think anyone would bat an eye at that if it wasn't written by Slott.

The scene wouldn't exist but for him. That's the point. I find it hard to believe any other writer would include Squirrel Girl of all people in a serious scene to get stomped by his long-term project villain.

Blockhouse posted:

someone having a comic book character say something is not always a personal endorsement of the writer's views

Blockhouse posted:

okay so like that bit in gwenpool where the entire joke of the two-parter with deadpool is that gwen actually doesn't like deadpool that much means that chris hastings also dislikes deadpool because why would a comic writer ever give a character a personality trait or opinion that they do not also share

Blockhouse posted:

I don't deny that it's a sloppy attempt at playing up a villain and it doesn't work but I think the level of maliciousness people are getting out of it comes off as this thread's weird obsession with projecting every lovely thing they can think of onto Dan Slott

The guy is a dick, yes, but there's a level of perceived slight on behalf of another comics writer here that reads as folks just looking for things to get mad about. Like I said if anyone else had written that bit we'd all just roll our eyes and move on. Instead it has to be some kind of shot fired off the port bow at Ryan North?

Blockhouse posted:

You don't understand. This guy wrote some comics I didn't like and called me a doodyhead on twitter. Therefore he is my mortal enemy.

Let's cool it with the whole getting-mad-at-opinions-others-don't-have thing.

Nobody is saying Slott should be tried in the Hague. They're saying a dude with a history of being publicly petty is being publicly petty.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If like him to be standing on a curb in front of a huge puddle and then the bus he's waiting for doesn't stop and instead splashes through the puddle soaking him to the bone.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Skwirl posted:

Literally one post ago... :sweatdrop:

drrockso20 posted:

I just really dislike the man both as a writer and as a human being, he has an undeserved level of success in this industry and in a more just world he'd no longer be employed in it(though I could say this about a LOT of people at both Marvel and DC)

e: ehh just to be extra super duper clear, I love dunking on writers and I wish we would dunk on writers more. But let's also be clear that a whooole f'ing lot is happening here rn, at the exact same time that people keep insisting that nuthin' much is happenin', honest!

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 16, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

BrianWilly posted:

e: ehh just to be extra super duper clear, I love dunking on writers and I wish we would dunk on writers more. But let's also be clear that a whooole f'ing lot is happening here rn, at the exact same time that people keep insisting that nuthin' much is happenin', honest!

I stand by what I say, I don't want him to be financially ruined or maimed by a bunch of escaped zoo animals or anything I just want him to no longer be employed by Marvel, he can go write mediocre indie comics all he wants I just want him away from characters I care about that he clearly lacks the talent to write for

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

That's not financial ruin, there's tons of people not writing comics that aren't financially ruined.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Wishing continued employment writing comics is probably more akin to wishing financial ruin than the opposite tbh

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Wishing continued employment writing comics is probably more akin to wishing financial ruin than the opposite tbh

gently caress, how many times in recent years has there been fundraisers for aging creators responsible for some of the most iconic comic tins ever?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Some people are afraid to say it, but I'm not. Dan Slott killed Kurt Cobain.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That was actually someone visiting from an alternate dimension pretending to be him

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Harold Fjord posted:

That was actually someone visiting from an alternate dimension pretending to be him

Good to know Kurt is alive out there somewhere.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Can I just mention how hilarious it is that the reaction here to this one preview is the most I've seen anyone talking about the 'Reckoning War' anywhere? It's the biggest event in Marvel comics that nobody seems to care about, and even other comics don't seem to be bothering to try and mention it. Hell, the villains still don't even have a page on the Marvel wiki!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Is Reckoning War really supposed to be viewed as most that just a storyline in a middling comic? At my store the one shots have had almost no takers, so I think the public is giving it the attention it deserves.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

It's really hard to take an event seriously when the major inciting incident is the destruction of Earth's moon, yet they couldn't get a single other comic to reference this. Presumed significance is the life-blood of these big events, yet they basically telegraphed from the beginning that this would have zero ramifications beyond the event itself.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I woudn't even consider Reckoning War an event. It's just a crossover between a couple comics. I don't consider it an event unless it has a wider reach than a handful of titles. I'd say the last event we had was probably King in Black. Devil's Reign and this only affect a few books. Pretty much all of RW is contained in Fantastic Four and She-Hulk right?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
other than reckoning war alpha has it even left fantastic four at all

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

I woudn't even consider Reckoning War an event. It's just a crossover between a couple comics. I don't consider it an event unless it has a wider reach than a handful of titles. I'd say the last event we had was probably King in Black. Devil's Reign and this only affect a few books. Pretty much all of RW is contained in Fantastic Four and She-Hulk right?

Yeah. Not even something like Nightcrawler going "Mein freunds! Look! The moon is destroyed!" Jack Russell realizing he can't transform into a wolf anymore. Nothing.

Edit: Maybe we get 616 Neil deGrasse Tyson saying "Lunar detonations are so unspectacular that if nobody told you what was happening to the Moon you’d probably not notice at all. Just sayin.’"

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 17, 2022

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

site posted:

other than reckoning war alpha has it even left fantastic four at all

There is a one shot about how Uatu is actually responsible for a truely monstrous suffering because the FF would have made Earth a perfect utopia if he was would have just followed orders.

Weird, and adds nothing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Conan leaving Marvel again. No more Conan comics at Marvel but they will continue to be able to reprint collections. Conan in Savage Avengers is likely still going to be a thing for the time being. Just not solo books.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/marvel-conan-the-barbarian-rights-leaving-publisher/

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think the people holding the Conan rights are pretty dumb. They want to publish comics themselves but have no current plans on who or how to do that.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Codependent Poster posted:

I think the people holding the Conan rights are pretty dumb.

Only if you judged them based on their actions.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
what kinda numbers were the conan books doing anyways, besides savage

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

I think the people holding the Conan rights are pretty dumb. They want to publish comics themselves but have no current plans on who or how to do that.

I also don't think Conan published by someone other than Marvel will move anywhere near the same numbers. Also, googling to figure out how he isn't public domain, he is in most of the world and will be in America in 2028, so they better hurry because I bet Dynamite comics will start publishing crossovers with their version of John Carter the moment that happens.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 17, 2022

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

site posted:

what kinda numbers were the conan books doing anyways, besides savage

Not enough for Marvel to pay anything for it. They certainly won't notice this, as much as I do love Savage Avengers.

Maybe the Epic collections did OK?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

I also don't think Conan published by someone other than Marvel will move anywhere near the same numbers. Also, googling to figure out how he isn't public domain, he is in most of the world and will be in America in 2028, so they better hurry because I bet Dynamite comics will start publishing crossovers with their version of John Carter the moment that happens.

This is why they're pulling it guaranteed. They want to get a few years of money in before anyone can publish them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dawgstar posted:

Edit: Maybe we get 616 Neil deGrasse Tyson saying "Lunar detonations are so unspectacular that if nobody told you what was happening to the Moon you’d probably not notice at all. Just sayin.’"

cap-i-understood-that-reference.gif

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So did Marvel turn She-Hulk back to her classic design because making her just a lady Hulk wasn’t working or just to match the MCU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

thetoughestbean posted:

So did Marvel turn She-Hulk back to her classic design because making her just a lady Hulk wasn’t working or just to match the MCU

She is more marketable and popular with her classic design. And in my opinion, a better character too.