Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Kinda confused about how drastically different these two reviews are for The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. These are the two review sites I most depend on for UHD reviews and they don't typically conflict this much.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Man-Who-Shot-Liberty-Valance-4K-Blu-ray/309155/#Review

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/103662/themanwhoshotlibertyvalanceparamountpresents4kultrahdbluray.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:bisonyes:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

received mine last week, the PQ is so good.

https://twitter.com/L0u13/status/1525115452053020672?s=20&t=T81rt6EXmVo7NelnbxXAow

and now those boxes get expanded, for more of my packaging hell I live in :sickos:

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

dorium posted:

received mine last week, the PQ is so good.

https://twitter.com/L0u13/status/1525115452053020672?s=20&t=T81rt6EXmVo7NelnbxXAow

and now those boxes get expanded, for more of my packaging hell I live in :sickos:

I don't think I want to meet the chaos wizard that owns both Last Black Man in San Fran. and Avatar

What are you doin' baby

e: no UHD for criterion august releases...ah well

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 16, 2022

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Freddy Got Fingered deluxe edition when?

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

CPL593H posted:

I wouldn't expect a Weird Al biopic to be played straight at all.
He's made one before, called The Compleat Al, that aired on Showtime in 1985 -- it was hard to find for a long time but has since been released on DVD. He plays a heavily fictionalized version of himself, and aside from that aspect the upcoming film will probably go a similar route.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
All Hail the May Queen

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

zer0spunk posted:

I don't think I want to meet the chaos wizard that owns both Last Black Man in San Fran. and Avatar

What are you doin' baby

Just survivin'

CPL593H posted:

only in my dreams.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

About 30 minutes after I watch it on Hulu

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

zer0spunk posted:

What are you doin' baby

e: no UHD for criterion august releases...ah well

when's movie night?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

About 30 minutes after I watch it on Hulu

I fail to see the issue.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Cloks posted:

when's movie night?

anyone that buys last black man twice is a-ok in my book. fav film of that year by a wide margin

e: to stay on topic

what's up with a24 pricing that and midsommar at 50 and then lamb's uhd was 34? i mean, cheaper is better, but..was that a test run or something on the first 2?

and why no hereditary uhd???

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 17, 2022

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

The cowards just need to release a 4K of The Lighthouse.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

zer0spunk posted:

anyone that buys last black man twice is a-ok in my book. fav film of that year by a wide margin

e: to stay on topic

what's up with a24 pricing that and midsommar at 50 and then lamb's uhd was 34? i mean, cheaper is better, but..was that a test run or something on the first 2?

and why no hereditary uhd???

I almost blind-bought Midsommar because the package was shore purty but then I saw that you either get UHD or Blu-ray and kind of said nah. For that price you can include both discs my man. I've since relented with a couple of Arrow releases that were UHD-only, but then they were $32 and $25, not $50. One day I'll get a UHD player. Just bought a Sony X700M for my mum this month to replace her dying PS3, and she loves it. Now I can lend her all my Region B/2 discs and obviously this opens up her purchase options going forward (she already has the Fistful of Dollars/For a Few Dollars More UHDs from Kino coming this month, to complement GoodBadUgly she got last year.) Hopefully I can get one for myself after I pay that off, my old region-free Insignia is on its last legs.

Modsimmer's probably not the type of film I'd wanna watch a second time anyway.

Edit: Just a note about 220, if you leave that page open in a tab for a day and occasionally return to it, you may get a $30 coupon, bringing the price down to $279 including free shipping (I didn't get charged sales tax, but YMMV.)

pwn fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 17, 2022

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

dentist toy box posted:

The cowards just need to release a 4K of The Lighthouse.

Hell yeah they do. Cowards.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Kino Lorber had actually asked for it when they were licensing from Fox near the start of their Studio Classics line, but it wasn't available. Now it's looking like everything licensed from Fox and Disney will eventually go out of print because they're not allowing renewals. Apparently Criterion is the only US label they're continuing licensing with at the moment.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Egbert Souse posted:

Kino Lorber had actually asked for it when they were licensing from Fox near the start of their Studio Classics line, but it wasn't available. Now it's looking like everything licensed from Fox and Disney will eventually go out of print because they're not allowing renewals. Apparently Criterion is the only US label they're continuing licensing with at the moment.

not a matter of IF, but WHEN.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dorium posted:

:yeshaha:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZgjII02YWk

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

dorium posted:

I've never wanted to have an image be a thread title more than this moment

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Freddy got Fingered on Blu-Ray would make me so.... PROUD

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

wa27 posted:

Why stop at Blu-Ray, when UHDs have HDR and Dolby VIsion?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

No matter what happens we'll never see the director's cut because the footage no longer exists.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CPL593H posted:

No matter what happens we'll never see the director's cut because the footage no longer exists.

Have animated recreations like how they fill in gaps in old Doctor Whos

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

wa27 posted:

PROUD?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Or just reshoot it. So in the directors cut you'd jump from the old footage in one shot to new footage where all the actors are 25 years older and the ones who have passed are played by CGI versions of themselves

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Or just reshoot it. So in the directors cut you'd jump from the old footage in one shot to new footage where all the actors are 25 years older and the ones who have passed are played by CGI versions of themselves Glen Humplik

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Escape From NY looks great like dorium mentioned. It was my first time watching and it wasn’t as engaging as the other Carpenter films I’ve seen. I think I’ll like it more in rewatches when I’m doing tasks. I was also v tired after traveling and chores, so maybe that didn’t help.

Next week is The Batman followed by double Double Indemnity, one copy is for my dad’s birthday. The Holy Grail is still on the 14th, I cannot wait for Lawrence. I’m screaming that it’s less than a month away.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I have Escape From NY coming today and I pre-ordered Malignant and Drive on UHD which release later this month (although Drive is an import so it may take a while to get that one) :getin:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:yeshaha:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Man, I watched Spring years ago on my own one night and loved it but I showed it to some friends last year and uhhhh it did not hold up at all.

They still give me poo poo about that movie night.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Man, I watched Spring years ago on my own one night and loved it but I showed it to some friends last year and uhhhh it did not hold up at all.

They still give me poo poo about that movie night.

:lol:

Spring is not a movie to watch with your buds. I'll admit, I'm lukewarm on it, but it was only $10, and the time I watched it, it was about 5am, after watching The Endless, so :shrug:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Or just reshoot it. So in the directors cut you'd jump from the old footage in one shot to new footage where all the actors are 25 years older and the ones who have passed are played by CGI versions of themselves

Rip Torn is irreplaceable, you goddamn monster.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

wa27 posted:

It should have the Roger Ebert review on it somewhere.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Rip Torn is irreplaceable, you goddamn monster.

https://youtu.be/9Uh7Z4mTza4

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Mister Kingdom posted:

It should have the Roger Ebert review on it somewhere.

That’s the actual cover for the Criterion edition. Someone takes a screenshot of the review and it’s just the front of the box.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Between the red and yellow Arrow Giallo collections, which is better? For someone who has never seen a Giallo, if that matters

edit: nevermind, it's too late

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 18, 2022

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I recommend watching some giallo flicks first tbh, it's an easy genre for people to dislike lol.

I haven't started watching either set yet though so I can't give a more specific recommendation

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

I recommend watching some giallo flicks first tbh, it's an easy genre for people to dislike lol.

I haven't started watching either set yet though so I can't give a more specific recommendation

Agreed.

Blood & Black Lace, The Bird With the Crystal Plumage, Opera, New York Ripper are all on Tubi for free, and Your Vice Is A Locked Room And Only I Have The Key and Deep Red are on Shudder. I'd recommend trying any of those first to see if you even like the genre. If you don't like Blood & Black Lace, you probably don't like giallo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

I don't dislike Giallo, but it doesn't really grab me as a genre, I still haven't cracked open the latest VS giallo set yet.

Admittedly, part of it is I just have to be in the right frame of mind to watch a subtitled film, simply because I have to spend the entire run time paying attention. I also have to pause it if I need to dart to the kitchen to refill my drink or put away my snacks, and with an English language film, I wont miss any dialogue.