Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Wrong Theory posted:

Bada ba ba blyat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CO7FPU7a2g

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/larisamlbrown/status/1526305351926161408

You know who else was an incessant micromanager who issued orders at the tactical level

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I know it's not 1:1 comparison, but the idea of any American president, but particularly 45 & 46, commanding an Infantry BN is a level of unnatural comedy.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

I mean… cool and all but they ain’t under fire.

They're not meant to be. If you expect to be under fire you conduct an combined arms amphibious operation with copious covering artillery and lots of air cover to establish a bridgehead and push enemy artillery back. Then you deploy the bridge and start moving your main armored and logistical elements in.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I know it's not 1:1 comparison, but the idea of any American president, but particularly 45 & 46, commanding an Infantry BN is a level of unnatural comedy.

Who is the last President that could competently command battalion sized formation? Carter? Kennedy? Eisenhower?

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 16, 2022

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

A.o.D. posted:

Who is the last President that could competently command battalion sized formation? Carter? Kennedy? Eisenhower?

HW was a pilot and Carter was a submariner; if you're willing to accept general command, Ford evidently did a good job commanding damage control when his ship got sailed into a typhoon, but it'd be Eisenhower and Truman if you insist on the army.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

They're not meant to be. If you expect to be under fire you conduct an combined arms amphibious operation with copious covering artillery and lots of air cover to establish a bridgehead and push enemy artillery back. Then you deploy the bridge and start moving your main armored and logistical elements in.

My opinion would be Ike for sure, Ford maybe, and while I'm going to sound crazy, I think Carter would handle it well.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Looks like the Azovstal siege is over. Remaining Azov members appears to have been bussed to separatist controlled territory where they will wait to be repatriated in a prisoner swap. I wonder what the odds are of that actually happening as opposed to them disappearing into some separatist torture dungeon.

https://twitter.com/HannaLiubakova/status/1526312579144028161?t=rpWaunXMxuQgvODDsL3ozQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1526314161814355968?t=M3yvsJ5rzheBUEG8sLT0rA&s=19

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

I’d guess Truman or Eisenhower due to them both being Army Officers. Carter I don’t believe did more than his 5 years in the Navy, and JFK wasn’t particularly well know as a tactician despite the PT109 mythology.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

My opinion would be Ike for sure, Ford maybe, and while I'm going to sound crazy, I think Carter would handle it well.

I didn't list Carter's name as a joke. He ran a nuclear meltdown recovery team, no small feat that comes with an incredible amount of pressure. I think he's the most recent President that had the chops for battalion level command.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

I have friends who are Carter historians and apparently he was a real jackass micromanager in his time in. Even to fellow O's who didn't do things the "right way".

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BUG JUG posted:

I have friends who are Carter historians and apparently he was a real jackass micromanager in his time in. Even to fellow O's who didn't do things the "right way".

Yes, well... nuke.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Wrong Theory posted:

Bada ba ba blyat

:danpop:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

His response to the Iran Hostage Seige is a solid example of where he was smart enough to know he was dumb. It maybe should have have had some tighter commands, because even in the early stages, there was concern. There were so many moving parts and points of failure. Some of the commandos said they were shocked they got to Desert One.

While even on paper, Eagle Claw looks desperate to fail. If so many of the key players hadn't been involved in Son Tay, I don't think the idea would have got off the ground. Son Tay was pretty close to the original concept of operations in Iran, with the needed complications of being in a non-permissive non-hostile nation.

Carter will always have my respect because when asked about his regrets as a CinC said, "I wish I would have sent 1 more helicopter." He said the loses of men and standing always tinged his memory. Which as a Grunt, hearing the CinC wishing he had sent more help was an American ideal

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/tpyxanews/status/1526329491064336385?s=21&t=4zwJJfABRd3tk78rQV7-Rw

:stare:

An explosion going off nearby, no gore or death.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

A wildcard:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
lol.

lmao

ROFL

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
teddy. would eugenics the hell out of this and then charge the cavalry

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/larisamlbrown/status/1526305351926161408

You know who else was an incessant micromanager who issued orders at the tactical level

"I love war...I know more about war...than the generals do." :smugdon:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I picture that scene in Red Dawn, where the Pilot Major is briefing the raid.

'Whats a defilade?' But with dumber questions.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
"what do you mean 'infantry need cover'"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Herstory Begins Now posted:

"what do you mean 'infantry need cover'"

"We already gave them hats!"

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bulletsponge13 posted:

I picture that scene in Red Dawn, where the Pilot Major is briefing the raid.

'Whats a defilade?' But with dumber questions.

That Major Powers Boothe thank you.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

"We already gave them hats!"

"The best hats. Hats like they've never seen. They said, "How come we couldn't have these hats sooner. They are the best hats!".

"That's fine, Mr. President, but uh, how about you send some invisible jets there?"

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Crab Dad posted:

I mean… cool and all but they ain’t under fire.

I assume the answer to "how to you conduct a bridging operation under artillery fire?" is "you don't." But if you had to, I assume part of the operation is counterbattery fire or air support to disrupt the defenders artillery?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Marshal Prolapse posted:

That Major Powers Boothe thank you.

Lieutenant Colonel Andrew Tanner, USAF :colbert:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Soylent Pudding posted:

I assume the answer to "how to you conduct a bridging operation under artillery fire?" is "you don't." But if you had to, I assume part of the operation is counterbattery fire or air support to disrupt the defenders artillery?

Ideally, yes, and you would also have a few thousand Infantry on the far side making things interesting.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The main takeaway from all this is that the Russian bridgehead attempt is a textbook case in a) how not to bridgehead and b) this is what happens when you do it wrong.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Or how to war for that matter.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

sneakyfrog posted:

Crazy talk. Russia is winning plenty bigly, thank you very much.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

sneakyfrog posted:

I only Minored in Warology, but in my expertise, yes.

This exactly how to not war.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
that river crossing at a bare minimum will become a new textbook ambush in somebody's war college for sure.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

sneakyfrog posted:

that river crossing at a bare minimum will become a new textbook ambush in somebody's war college for sure.

It will be an addendum to the Israeli Intel Officer who warned about the Egyptian advances and preps for an offensive before the Yom Kippur War and was ignored. Even though he brought physical evidence he personally collected after being told to ignore it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I'm not sure I follow but I don't know the specifics of that story sorry.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

It will be an addendum to the Israeli Intel Officer who warned about the Egyptian advances and preps for an offensive before the Yom Kippur War and was ignored. Even though he brought physical evidence he personally collected after being told to ignore it.

I'm picturing him standing in front of the Israeli general staff agitatedly waving around a bewildered captured Egyptian private by the scruff of his neck

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Soylent Pudding posted:

If you have reduced your options so severely that it’s cross here under corrected fire or cross no where you probably have some pretty big problems.

That the Russians tried the same place twice probably indicates their problems are largely internal.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

A.o.D. posted:

The main takeaway from all this is that the Russian bridgehead attempt is a textbook case in a) how not to bridgehead and b) this is what happens when you do it wrong.

Somewhere in Hell Marshal Cadorna breathes a sigh of relief as his photo finally gets replaced in the textbooks.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

sneakyfrog posted:

I'm not sure I follow but I don't know the specifics of that story sorry.

To me they are linked operationally.

In the weeks before the Yom Kippur War, the Arab forces were all having 'exercises'. This Intel Officer noticed the strange positions of Egyptian armor and mechanized units along the shared border. When engineer units moved forward, he went himself (having already reported what the Egyptians were doing, with evidence in the form of reports and forward recon) and took a homemade drone to take pictures of the engineering units breaching the defensive positions, and using the berm earth to ford the Sinai, putting almost all of Egypt's forces inside Israel's B-hole.

Even when defensive units were reporting hearing Egyptian forces on the near shore, IDF command ignored it.

E- note: I am a loving weirdo.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 17, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/CalibreObscura/status/1526334281571782658

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

bulletsponge13 posted:

E- note: I am a loving weirdo.

Eh all good. Most I know is small unit tactics, wasn't ever any fancy strategy dude or anything