Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
SCOTUS saying that you're not allowed to blatantly raid campaign funds might have been one of the few ways for the legislature to come together and check judicial power, lol. If it ain't insider trading than it's making "loans" to your own campaign to get those sweet sweet donor bucks into your bank account. All hail the grift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

If I read it right part of the Court's argument is that it's not a gift since the candidate is returned to the status quo prior to the campaign. But that makes no sense a campaign isn't supposed to be a profitable enterprise that money should be a loss it's spent on electioneering.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Groovelord Neato posted:

If I read it right part of the Court's argument is that it's not a gift since the candidate is returned to the status quo prior to the campaign. But that makes no sense a campaign isn't supposed to be a profitable enterprise that money should be a loss it's spent on electioneering.

It's a loss to the donors.

I'm not sure I buy the logic that money doesn't count as a gift if you're in debt, though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

What's the interest rate on Trump's $50m from 2016? His campaign is gonna be making minimum payments on that for a long time.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Not sure I understand either. It's not simply money going into their bank account, it's reimbursement/donation for/of funds the candidate loaned to the campaign in the first place.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's an obvious avenue for corruption.

If you "loaned" your campaign money you couldn't actually afford to lose, and you're desperate to pay it back now that you've won, and well hey here comes a donor who doesn't even have to gamble on who's going to win they can just make you financially whole in two seconds, for a price of course...

It's a pretty clear incentive for bribery. And also to get in lots of debt while campaigning in the first place because hey if you win Aetna's got your back...

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

ilkhan posted:

Not sure I understand either. It's not simply money going into their bank account, it's reimbursement/donation for/of funds the candidate loaned to the campaign in the first place.

Instead of spending money on your own campaign, now you just "loan" it to your campaign. Then after you are in office you get money back (plus intereest) from the "loan" by having people donate to the campaign and then yourself back from those "donations". Congratulations, instead of losing 20 million in paying for your campaign you made 5 million!

If you think that's fine, then I am the wallet inspector please hand it over for me to check it out

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Basically it's like this

At 0 interest:
Candidate loans campaign 100k. He now has 100k less.
Candidate wins, get's donations, campaign repays him => Candidate is again at 0.

Now were it gets interesting is when he charges insane interest rates. Let's say the candidate loans the 100k at 18% interest rate (real life example I read on twitter).
He now can recieve 18k per year from the campaign in interest payments with the principle only repaid whenever he feels like he made enough money from grifting.
This case is really bad.

Piell posted:

Instead of spending money on your own campaign, now you just "loan" it to your campaign. Then after you are in office you get money back (plus intereest) from the "loan" by having people donate to the campaign and then yourself back from those "donations". Congratulations, instead of losing 20 million in paying for your campaign you made 5 million!

If you think that's fine, then I am the wallet inspector please hand it over for me to check it out

It's fine at 0 interest because it just means that the candidate assumes the risk of losing the election for the donor, who only pays after the candidate is elected.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

GaussianCopula posted:

Basically it's like this

At 0 interest:
Candidate loans campaign 100k. He now has 100k less.
Candidate wins, get's donations, campaign repays him => Candidate is again at 0.

Now were it gets interesting is when he charges insane interest rates. Let's say the candidate loans the 100k at 18% interest rate (real life example I read on twitter).
He now can recieve 18k per year from the campaign in interest payments with the principle only repaid whenever he feels like he made enough money from grifting.
This case is really bad.

It's fine at 0 interest because it just means that the candidate assumes the risk of losing the election for the donor, who only pays after the candidate is elected.

No, it's still bad at 0 interest, because previously the loan amounts over 250k accrued before the election could only be paid from funds received before the election. Now you're free to get paid after you're elected.

quote:

b. For personal loans that, in the aggregate, exceed $250,000 in connection with an election, the authorized committee:

1. May repay the entire amount of the personal loans using contributions to the candidate or the candidate's authorized committee provided that those contributions were made on the day of the election or before;

2. May repay up to $250,000 of the personal loans from contributions made to the candidate or the candidate's authorized committee after the date of the election; and

3. Must not repay, directly or indirectly, the aggregate amount of the personal loans that exceeds $250,000, from contributions to the candidate or the candidate's authorized committee if those contributions were made after the date of the election.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

No like I already said it isn't fine at 0 interest.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

Is this fine though

Do we want candidates assuming all the risk and needing bailouts from donors who are going to attach strings to it, seems like a bad conflict of interest to me!

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
The Roberts Court has been openly pro-political corruption for its entire existence. From McDonnell, where bribery only counts if if a politician signs a document stating "I am committing political favors for these specific gifts," to Citizens United, which needs no explanation, and now this. Anything that disrupts the flow of money to politicians is fair game.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Chamale posted:

The 3rd only applies to soldiers. To resolve this problem, we need fetal conscription.

SCOTUS 2022: To resolve this problem, we need fetal conscription.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

GaussianCopula posted:

It's not fine at 0 because it allows direct bribes straight into the pockets of politicians so long as they put enough of their "own" money (which could be loans!) into the campaign. Campaign costs paid by the candidate should be sunk contributions, especially after the candidate has taken office. "Loan money to your campaign" is already ripe for abuse even before it was extended post-campaign.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Oracle posted:

SCOTUS 2022: To resolve this problem, we need fetal conscription.

Fetuses are soldiers the same way they're people: they could grow into a person who might join the military or be drafted
QED

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

What's the interest rate on Trump's $50m from 2016? His campaign is gonna be making minimum payments on that for a long time.

The trump example is worse because the trump org was the contractor too. He took donations in, then spent it by hiring his own business to provide the services. I really figured that was the grift all along and he just happened to win. It was like the producers but an election.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Fetuses are soldiers the same way they're people: they could grow into a person who might join the military or be drafted
QED

At least then everyone ever born gets put on Tricare and we get universal health care that way

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

haveblue posted:

At least then everyone ever born gets put on Tricare and we get universal health care that way

Pretty much the backdoor way to get universal health care in this country: mandatory military service for every adult for whatever period of time gets you those sweet sweet VA bennies.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Oracle posted:

Pretty much the backdoor way to get universal health care in this country: mandatory military service for every adult for whatever period of time gets you those sweet sweet VA bennies.

Good thing this country also prioritizes giving excellent benefits and healthcare to veterans and that the entire VA program is not a nightmare for most!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Stickman posted:

It's not fine at 0 because it allows direct bribes straight into the pockets of politicians so long as they put enough of their "own" money (which could be loans!) into the campaign. Campaign costs paid by the candidate should be sunk contributions, especially after the candidate has taken office. "Loan money to your campaign" is already ripe for abuse even before it was extended post-campaign.

Yep.

Step 1: Candidate borrows money in a personal loan from a wealthy friend.

Step 2: Candidate places said money into campaign as a loan from himself.

Step 3: Candidate campaigns and wins.

Step 4: Candidate is made whole by donors, and pays off personal loan to wealthy friend who now has effectively legally purchased himself an elected official.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Liquid Communism posted:

Yep.

Step 1: Candidate borrows money in a personal loan from a wealthy friend.

Step 2: Candidate places said money into campaign as a loan from himself.

Step 3: Candidate campaigns and wins.

Step 4: Candidate is made whole by donors, and pays off personal loan to wealthy friend who now has effectively legally purchased himself an elected official.

not just legally, but constitutionally protected!

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Proust Malone posted:

The trump example is worse because the trump org was the contractor too. He took donations in, then spent it by hiring his own business to provide the services. I really figured that was the grift all along and he just happened to win. It was like the producers but an election.

I bet Trump has examples of this poo poo hiding that we haven't caught onto yet and Cruz is now back in Trumps good graces. Records proving so might just "finally" get released.

I'll be more than happy to be wrong.

Man Plan Canal
Jul 11, 2000

Listen to the madman
Is there a handicapping wisdom on how the Texas/FL Social Media law appeal is likely to fare (currently NetChoice v. Paxton but it'll presumably be consolidated with the FL version as well)?

My sense is that this court has been extremely friendly to corporate speech over the years, the counsel for the appellants are all FedSoc guys (ex-TX Solicitor Generals and Clement). The argumentation in the application is all pretty conservative -- lots of citations of Thomas and Kavanaugh in particular in the case law. I'm not a lawyer but I have a policy background and research interests which overlap U.S. speech law, so I feel reasonably well equipped to read the application and it seems like a legal slam dunk. Moreover, the people who drafted the law shot their mouths off in public in all kinds of incriminating ways.

From a political frame, it seems like the liberals would want to strike down the law because it's an "own the libs" law and the conservatives would want to strike down the law because it's a massive restriction on corporate speech that doesn't even pretend to be viewpoint-neutral. The person who would seem politically most likely to carry water for the law, Thomas, is also the person whose jurisprudence the law cuts against most firmly.

But it's pretty rare that there's a case that comes up for cert that would divide red meat Trumpites from everyone else, conservatives included, and I suspect it's the first of many obviously unconstitutional trial balloons designed to test how on-board the court is with Trumpier state policy. It seems really insane to think that the court would ever hold "It's okay to compel a wide swath of private companies to distribute political speech against their will in a viewpoint non-neutral way and further punish them if they decide not to operate in the state in response to the law." Am I missing something?

Man Plan Canal fucked around with this message at 10:49 on May 17, 2022

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

not just legally, but constitutionally protected!

so between this, Citizens United and the fact that bribing of politicians is essentially legal as long as there is no "explicit" quid pro quo does anyone believe we don't live in an dystopian oligarchy?

Not even counting all the other calvinball that is some bullshit

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Look who he's sitting next to jfc

https://twitter.com/townhallcom/status/1526215424874008576?s=20&t=jS02O0kQC5WbNY04pxEKwg

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 17, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

"It really is good to be me." says the most gently caress you got mine guy on the bench before deep laughter.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Infinite screaming

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1526550792769048576

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1526551615309758465

Roberts will go down in history as one of if not the worst chief justices of the modern era.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The idea that money is speech is so laughably stupid you wouldn't buy it in a satire.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

So today?

Also, a man still mad that a women stood up to him.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArizonaDumpster/status/1526228288762531842

The guy the dissented in Lawrence and repeatedly said there is no right to privacy is the reason you have the right to privacy in your home

:thunk:

E: Whoops, Lawrence!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 18, 2022

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

So today?

Also, a man still mad that a women stood up to him.

His job was always been to replace thurgood Marshall with a relatable conservative vote. He’s excellent at his job.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Stickman posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArizonaDumpster/status/1526228288762531842

The guy the dissented in Thomas and repeatedly said there is no right to privacy is the reason you have the right to privacy in your home

:thunk:

Caniglia is their go to example, the one with a unanimous ruling.....what would we ever do without him on the bench

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

It's always about guns' rights!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Infinite screaming

Roberts will go down in history as one of if not the worst chief justices of the modern era.

Bold of you to assume there will be a civilization left standing that has the ability to read by the time he’s gone.

These people should count their blessings that the worst they’ve gotten is some protests outside their homes.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
More and more it's obvious that Idiocracy was far too kind and Don't Look Up was not satire.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

More and more it's obvious that Idiocracy was far too kind and Don't Look Up was not satire.

President Camacho at least cared about fixing problems and puts the best man on the job instead of just pure grifters for billionaires like modern republicans.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Infinite screaming

It’s kind of amazing that it’s not unthinkable that within our lifetime, society may well go back to the concept of “your income = how strong your vote is”. I mean, in a roundabout way it kind of works like that what with the ultra rich spending infinite amounts on lobbyism groups, but I honestly don’t think it’s off the table than America will just go full hog and revert to 19th century election policies.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1527010591898050560?s=20&t=_MxOxnGVHqkSSvcmfe4kqQ

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
LOL I expected that to be somewhat legalese with the "SEC can't do it's job" buried somewhere out of the way but there it is in plain English for not-a-lawyer me to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

SCOTUS will make the determination that Congress cannot delegate any policy decisions to the various agencies, rendering all of them useless and powerless and undoing decades of policies, rules, progress, and enforcement actions null and void.

They really do want to dismantle the administrative state.