Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I might buy a new video card idk. they seem to be coming down to normal prices and in stock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Do a clean with DDU first and see if that fixes it

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I upgraded my AMD (lol) video card to a (used) GTX 1070 and now my computer is freezing randomly every couple days. anyway just wanted to let you know I have a computer problem

my amd graphics card works great op, hth

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yeah I'm thinking of getting a radeon 6700 or something

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
6900s are in stock all over the place pretty consistently

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I don't want to spend $1100 on a video card

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its not worth it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean I bought all my good gear when I was in a bad place and dgaf about my future or finances and now I have a sweet rig but also unnecessary and expensive

yes my son can run minecraft at over 1000fps and maybe that does make it all worthwhile

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

echinopsis posted:

I mean I bought all my good gear when I was in a bad place and dgaf about my future or finances and now I have a sweet rig but also unnecessary and expensive

yes my son can run minecraft at over 1000fps and maybe that does make it all worthwhile

so to recap:

1. deep depression
2. purchased expensive graphics card
3. now can look back on that period and laugh, and play minecraft at over 1000fps

looks like it loving worked my man.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:hmmyes:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
friday afternoon windows forced an update and broke my dj rig an hour before a live set. i managed to roll it back and disable windows update but there's a "turn windows update service back on" service lol

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i dusted off my old 5450 last night that i used to use for travel and forgot that i installed centos 7 on it and the battery lasts approximately an hour

maybe i should just give up on it

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
anyone remember the name of a terminal program that allows you to tail multiple stdins in a grid?

i thought i remembered a script or something that could do this but maybe it was a bespoke thing i made at my old job on a lark

the usecase is e.g. tailing multiple running scripts (or docker containers) at the same time in their own distinct areas that don't clobber the logs of the others

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you want csshx

https://github.com/brockgr/csshx

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

YES! Thank you!!!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

computer crashed overnight and is no longer seeing the nvme drive as even being there. how likely is it that the drive failed vs the motherboard is dying

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

both are under a year old

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

sadly, the drive is far more likely to be the culprit

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

well i don’t have any files on there i care about all that much anyway

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i'd still wanna know why it failed though. samsung cooking itself disease?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

did you screw the drive in or just leave it flappin in its lil slot?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

its screwed in and under the heat sink thing that came w/ the motherboard. im not at home right now to try to check anything but maybe ill try taking it out and putting it back again?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

fart simpson posted:

its screwed in and under the heat sink thing that came w/ the motherboard. im not at home right now to try to check anything but maybe ill try taking it out and putting it back again?

reseating it could resolve it, yes. probably the drive just died, but it is newer tech and the connectors can be finicky. overall, the mtbf of ssd / nvmes is much better than traditional hard drives - they're usually rated to last about a decade

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

computer crashed overnight and is no longer seeing the nvme drive as even being there. how likely is it that the drive failed vs the motherboard is dying

i got this with a garbage sabrent (which i will never buy again). nvme bus is super low level, its the drive.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

update: i left everything powered off for 12 hours and tried turning it back on again and it works again. didn’t even reseat it. booted up into windows update doing cleanup

idk maybe it’s ok now but that isn’t normal

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

my pc hasn’t frozen for a while. my usual solution of doing nothing pays off

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ill come home to my pc reset. why? idk. I thought I'd turned off auto updates. why? idk.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

echinopsis posted:

ill come home to my pc reset. why? idk. I thought I'd turned off auto updates. why? idk.

you have to go into group policy to actually disable automatic updates, and even then windows will still turn them back on sometimes.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yep theres a windows update service and then another service that repeatedly turns windows update service back on. thats the one you have to gpedit

its fuckin dogshit

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
so every browser removed the ability to manually change text encoding huh?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

i got this with a garbage sabrent (which i will never buy again). nvme bus is super low level, its the drive.

i bought a sabrent enclosure for IDE drives about a decade back. it works, i guess. cut my finger on it somehow

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in leiu of managing to get my url (crimecommitter.com) to actually point at the page I have hosted at github, I am just doing a simple redirection

and I've finally worked out that the http redirect works but the https doesn't

http: http://crimecommitter.com
https: https://crimecommitter.com

I couldn't get the proper A NAME thing to work, but I wonder now if I had tried the http then it would have ? maybe i'll try it again

e: I tried to get it working properly again and have hosed it up. lets see if some changes have fixed themselves overnight

e2: sometimes the links don't work, but if I use https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/crimecommitter.com then it tells me its working and I can click the link and it works. wtf

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 4, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
in your dns provider add four A records with contents of 185.199.108.153, 185.199.109.153, 185.199.110.153 and 185.199.111.153

then go into github pages and make sure you have the 'custom domain' thing checked and fill out crimecommitter.com

i think that should do it

step 1 points you at github pages' inbound IPs. step 2 tells github pages to accept your domain as a valid host header and route it to your page appropriately

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

in your dns provider add four A records with contents of 185.199.108.153, 185.199.109.153, 185.199.110.153 and 185.199.111.153

then go into github pages and make sure you have the 'custom domain' thing checked and fill out crimecommitter.com

i think that should do it

step 1 points you at github pages' inbound IPs. step 2 tells github pages to accept your domain as a valid host header and route it to your page appropriately

thanks Jonny

in the A records is a blank slot for "host", and I've struggled to find info as to what goes there, but some other records use "@" is that the same here? (what is it?)

I've never had so much trouble with dns stuff before

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

the A record is where the IP goes.

host just means IP address

@ just means your main IP so for example if your website is hosted at mycrimes.nz and it's IP is 3.1.33.7 you'll have mycrimes.nz IN A 3.1.33.7 and you might wanna have https://www.mycrimes.nz point to the same so DNS providers have @ as a shorthand to say "point to the same IP as the parent domain.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 4, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
right...

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Cross posting a project that is quickly escalated to a computer problem:

KirbyKhan posted:

Wife is interviewing for a teaching position for small children, which means I get to use computers for the amusement of children. My first project is to get the HP printer out of the garage onto my home network and find the sticky note that has the HP username and pass.

KirbyKhan posted:

Hell yeah it is a motherfucker who caused this problem.

All of the hard parts are done. I carried and trouble shot a printer for a girl, thus echoing back to 20 year old me in the dorms. Then I went into my ratsnest of power cables and chose the correct one by staring really hard at the prong and the numbers on the prongs. Like 4 months ago I bought a print trey on ebay because we lost the old print trey in the move. 3 months ago we found that lost print tray. Paper in the machine, mac address in the access list, so many dumb rituals complete.

Except my wife's HP username and password. Lol. But I'm gonna print out some pictures of animals, then I'm gonna glue those to some cardboard paper to give them heft. It will be used in a word game where children have to determine if the held up animal can climb, run, swim, or fly. I'm hype.

KirbyKhan posted:

Ok, so I have identified and recognize my printer on the home network. I see it sitting there. I have installed the HP Smart app and pushed update to the printer and have a solid estimate on ink levels. I have printed out a page from the printer that contains the Mac address and there are no issues with the feet or suckers or trey catches or whatever despite the slight crinkle that developed from this stack of office paper I looted when Covid hit our offices years ago.

But I send this picture of a gorilla out to print and it ain't printing. I know that fundamentally it is because I haven't given HP money, I have accepted that. But I can't give them money because in order to do so they must verify my wife bought this printer. So I gotta print a claim code from the printer by pressing the HP web services button. But this model of printer doesn't do claim codes because it does it through the HP Smart app.

This is when I find out my wife never reset her password, she just made a new account that does not have this printer associated with this new account. The old account was under her aol account that she doesn't remember the password to. We have done this 6 times before, it was a mistake to post this in the happy fun projects thread, but back then I thought I was gonna print a picture of a gorilla.

Right now my stopping block is getting the printer to communicate with the "web services" server. If I can do that I can give HP money and I can print out pictures of animals in color.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
HP Smart app still waiting for a claim code. I have made a backup of the configurations available in the menu you access by typing the IP into your browser. Password protected with a password.txt in the same directory for when I do this a 7th time. I now restored to factory settings. Obliteration I don't want it no more.

HP Easy Start is the software my searches pointed me towards. I accepted everything. I passed on the ink deals. I stumble forward through the multiple choice questions in the wizard. I'm making a post. I want to print a picture of a gorilla.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I got the claim code but zi lost sight of the prize. I used the claim code to create a fancy email address you can send documents to and it'll print. But uh... I didn't pay HP yet, and I'm still looking for a way how. On their support page they have a dude in a similar boat as me and the next and only post was from an employee saying "Ey, I pm'd you instructions lmao" and I'm now installing HP Support Solutions.

Edit: it will also install Support Solution Assistant later as to not intturupt my work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
In the IP web interface I turned off web services and turned it back on to generate a new code. Then went into HP Smart and went along with the prompts until it redirected to a Microsoft Edge redirect to HP Instant ink , which is when I could finally give HP money. Once I did that