Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Streets of Fire is a hell of a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I still maintain that if anyone other than Michael Paré was the lead character, Streets of Fire would be so much better.

Like imagine Patrick Swayze in full Dalton mode as Tom Cody.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Paré is one of the things that makes that movie work, just pure lunkhead energy

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
what the heck are the grabby staves called in 8 diagram pole fighter, i've never seen anything like them

Edit can see them pretty well at 3:00, 6:15 and 7:10
https://youtu.be/HLDJ2QteN7c

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 25, 2022

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Shageletic posted:

Just watched 48 hours and most of Another 48 hours for the first time and other than the first movie's insane amount of racist dialogue (INSANE), there was a deep drop off in the quality between the two, and I'm not sure why. Same director, same set-up, I guess there's more of a focus on inert bad guys? I don't know.

Also Eddie Murphy's arc in the first movie is to get laid, with him just barking at random women to gently caress him and trying at one point to pretend to be a lawyer to gently caress some ladies in a closet.

Posted elsewhere recently :o:

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol, most countries got:

whereas more conservative ones (UK included, from my memory) got:

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Not action, but I watched the first two Police Academy movies last night for the first time since I was a kid. Very surprised how few "-isms" are in the script. The few that are present get instant justice.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Posted elsewhere recently :o:

I found the Danish poster for Death Wish the other day and for whatever they reason they decided that the regular one wasn't good enough.

Normal:

Danish:

"Just add a bunch of knives"

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
It absolutely blows my mind every time I remember there's a guy whose whole career is based on being a dead ringer for Charles Bronson

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Streets of Fire is a hell of a thing.

i just started it and i'm as taken aback as when i started watching tokyo tribe

edit: ry cooder!!!!

editx2 sadly it loses a ton of its great energy by halfway through, still worth watching though

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 25, 2022

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

B-Rock452 posted:

Yeah 48 hours gets pretty uncomfortable, wasn't a huge fan so didn't watch the sequel. However, if anyone reading this threat hasn't seen "Streets of Fire," just go and watch it right now. Don't even see a trailer or read anything about it. It rules.

Everything about this movie slaps. Including the music, whoo boy.

Sledgehammer final fight

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I just finished The Tournament on that Tubi service. What an absolute slapper. Just tons of practical poo poo including some serious gore. Scott Adkins gets only one scene though, so that kinda sucks.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Disposable Scud posted:

I just finished The Tournament on that Tubi service. What an absolute slapper. Just tons of practical poo poo including some serious gore. Scott Adkins gets only one scene though, so that kinda sucks.

lol I haven't thought about this movie in years - there's a scene with one of the Players where he's cutting the finger off a body in a dumpster, the body is an old buddy of mine from when I used to go out on the town in Middlesbrough way back when. No idea how he came to be involved int he movie, he wasn't an arts / film type at all.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Hell yeah, JJ Perry did the action for that one. He's been involved with a bunch of lowkey excellent lower budget action flicks like Haywire, Blood And Bone, and Safe. Plus that one Stallone flick with the axe fight I can't remember right now.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I watched Wolf Warrior and had a lot of fun. It was interrsting seeing this kinda Cannon Films/Hollywood rah rah patriotic action movie propaganda but from a country that isnt the USA. It gets lower ratings from the people who looove it when it's an American nationalistic action film but think hating the movie is them making some kind of stand against the UNIQUE BRUTALITY of China.
At one point it implies the Chinese military has the ability to control the weather, a Chinese general just orders Some Unit to make it rain and it cuts to rain in the forest. No special beam hitting the clouds or anything. 🤣
Also it's interesting in that (despite finally getting down to one on one action hero versus villain stuff in the final act) a lot of the film depicts Chinese soldiers with numerical superiority fighting against only a few foreigners. The team of evil foreign mercs (working for a Chinese drug lord) is a lot like say, the elite team in Predator. They're all elite and deadly and it takes the full operation of the Chinese military and a lot of Chinese teamwork to counter this handful of elite villains. Scott Adkins is great as the leader of these foreign mercs, and deadly as hell.
There's some horrible cgi wolves but i thought it added to the charm, it's an entertaining 90 minutes. Probably not gonna see the sequel though, not down for 124 minutes of this poo poo.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 8, 2022

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I watched Wolf Warrior and had a lot of fun. It was interrsting seeing this kinda Cannon Films/Hollywood rah rah patriotic action movie propaganda but from a country that isnt the USA. It gets lower ratings from the people who looove it when it's an American nationalistic action film but think hating the movie is them making some kind of stand against the UNIQUE BRUTALITY of China.
At one point it implies the Chinese military has the ability to control the weather, a Chinese general just orders Some Unit to make it rain and it cuts to rain in the forest. No special beam hitting the clouds or anything. 🤣
Also it's interesting in that (despite finally getting down to one on one action hero versus villain stuff in the final act) a lot of the film depicts Chinese soldiers with numerical superiority fighting against only a few foreigners. The team of evil foreign mercs (working for a Chinese drug lord) is a lot like say, the elite team in Predator. They're all elite and deadly and it takes the full operation of the Chinese military and a lot of Chinese teamwork to counter this handful of elite villains. Scott Adkins is great as the leader of these foreign mercs, and deadly as hell.
There's some horrible cgi wolves but i thought it added to the charm, it's an entertaining 90 minutes. Probably not gonna see the sequel though, not down for 124 minutes of this poo poo.

now watch the sequel, it's better in every way (even though grillo replaces adkins as the heavy , grillo's fight is better)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh so it does manage to be a fun two hours? Im in

Also recently rewatched Haywire. So so good. Shame about Gina being a psycho. I could watch her murder a series of doomed dudes for about 8 hours. Where was Matt Damon?? Why didn't she murder Matt Damon? She could've beat Brad Pitt to death!
Watching her murder the gently caress out of James Bond is so amazing, just a series of great fights, and Ewan just running is always hilarious.

Also watched Above the Law/Righting Wrongs directed by Corey Yuen which might be my new favorite movie of all time. Nonstop incredible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePUp8Yi3zH4
Unfortunately Prime's copy had lovely subs that got earlier and earlier.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 8, 2022

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Watched the 1993 Yuen Woo Ping film Iron Monkey on Pluto TV. It was dubbed so it was probably the version that Miramax monkeyed with (heh) when they released it in the US, although I'm not sure. According to wikipedia their changes included changing the film speed in some of the sequences that were shot in a different framerate, but there's still this slight speed ramping when someone gets hit that so idk if this is that version or not. I kind of liked that as a stylistic choice, it works in addition to the wire fu and the dust flying off people when they're hit to really sell the feeling of impact when a kick just yeets someone across the room. The plot is like a kung fu Batman or Robin Hood story about a masked man who fights corrupt officials and gives their stolen gold to the poor. Donnie Yen has a pretty substantial role as the secondary protagonist and there's a child version of the Wong Fei Hong character who gets to kick some rear end with a pole. This is also the only movie I can remember to have an evil kung fu nun in it. So yeah, I strongly recommend this one, especially if you're a fan of the director's other works like Fist of Legend and Drunken Master or his choreography in stuff like The Matrix, it has that same sort of heightened reality to the fight scenes.

Also watched the Female Prisoner Scorpion series recently. These are a series of 70s Japanese exploitation film about a woman (Meiko Kaji, Lady Snowblood herself) sent to prison due to some poo poo her boyfriend, a corrupt cop, pulled. The subject matter here is kind of trashy at times, as you would expect from the genre and subject matter, with rape and violence against women and all that. Yet I think there was a real attempt by director Shunya Ito to elevate the work to something more. As the series progresses you get more of these touches of surrealism, and even in the more straightforward stuff there's a lot of character in the visual language Ito uses, it reminds me a lot of a Raimi film with the some of the camera work. And of course Meiko gives this perfect death stare the entire time, she doesn't even need any lines to be a memorable protagonist. It's a bit hard to recommend something like this given the subject matter, but I really found it entertaining. These are movies were the studio greenlit the first one for the titillation factor but the director actually took the work seriously and made something unique. The second film was by far and away the best.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mantis42 posted:

Also watched the Female Prisoner Scorpion series recently. These are a series of 70s Japanese exploitation film about a woman (Meiko Kaji, Lady Snowblood herself) sent to prison due to some poo poo her boyfriend, a corrupt cop, pulled. The subject matter here is kind of trashy at times, as you would expect from the genre and subject matter, with rape and violence against women and all that. Yet I think there was a real attempt by director Shunya Ito to elevate the work to something more. As the series progresses you get more of these touches of surrealism, and even in the more straightforward stuff there's a lot of character in the visual language Ito uses, it reminds me a lot of a Raimi film with the some of the camera work. And of course Meiko gives this perfect death stare the entire time, she doesn't even need any lines to be a memorable protagonist. It's a bit hard to recommend something like this given the subject matter, but I really found it entertaining. These are movies were the studio greenlit the first one for the titillation factor but the director actually took the work seriously and made something unique. The second film was by far and away the best.

I got to see a screening of Female Prisoner Scorpion: Jailhouse 41 on the big screen. It's such a pretty movie, it's a shame about the sexual assaults. That movie series are real diamonds in the rough of Japanese exploitation films.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Did anyone see the Stallone cut of Rocky IV?

How was it?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

PeterCat posted:

How was it?

He cut out the robot. :(

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

He cut out the robot. :(

LMAO

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I guess I had never seen Eraser. I thought I had seen all the Arnie films but I guess, somehow I missed this one?

Anyway I just flipped over to it a few minutes ago and saw this absolutely ape-poo poo crazy scene where he gets into a shootout on a plane, opens the door, throws a seat into one of the engines, grabs the " emergency parachute" but then loses it, then falls out of the plane and skydives down to the parachute and puts it on in freefall, then while he's hanging from the canopy the crippled jet comes down and makes to ram him but he pulls his pistol and shoots out the windscreen.

Just.... holy loving LOL!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

PeterCat posted:

How was it?

It's interesting seeing some of the alternate takes and cut scenes. But apparently the "If he dies, he dies" line only had one take cause it's just wedged in there despite not matching the new cut.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

MrMojok posted:

I guess I had never seen Eraser. I thought I had seen all the Arnie films but I guess, somehow I missed this one?

Anyway I just flipped over to it a few minutes ago and saw this absolutely ape-poo poo crazy scene where he gets into a shootout on a plane, opens the door, throws a seat into one of the engines, grabs the " emergency parachute" but then loses it, then falls out of the plane and skydives down to the parachute and puts it on in freefall, then while he's hanging from the canopy the crippled jet comes down and makes to ram him but he pulls his pistol and shoots out the windscreen.

Eraser is really really weird. For a "mainstream" blockbuster it has a lot of odd poo poo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MrMojok posted:

Stuff like that is why a lot of people consider Eraser to be the last "true" Arnold movie. The last one that harkens back to the good ole days of Commando, Predator, Total Recall, Terminator, etc. etc.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Have a feeling I mentioned this upthread, but I watched Eraser on a UK DVD I got from eBay, thought "this doesn't seem right, I'm sure there was more violence when I saw this in the cinema", looked up just how much the home release had been cut by the BBFC, then the week after got the Blu-Ray and watched the uncut version. It's a totally different experience. In the DVD, you don't even get to see the main villains die at the end! (The head of the BBFC decided the scene was "gloating and sadistic" and ordered it chopped.) Never mind all the action scenes where Arnold aims a gun vaguely in the direction of a bad guy/bad guy lies dead on the floor.

Edit: All the UK home release cuts, 3 minutes and 22 seconds of them.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 18, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh wow, I never watched Eraser because I heard bad things about it and I'm wondering if that's why as we wouldn't have had the US uncut version. Maybe I should hunt down a proper copy and finally give it a whirl!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Everything everywhere is phenomenal and you should all watch it. Fewer fight scenes than I expected but they are fantastic and often very funny

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The opening, where an arnie sized stunt double is throwing spinning kicks and poo poo, is especially good.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I feel like the HBO series Chernobyl borrowed a bit from Universal Soldier: Regeneration, unless they're both drawing from the same influence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1sDgolDXoI&t=315s

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The only thing I remember from Eraser is those stupid guns

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The one action sequence in the fifth element where Bruce Willis is actually killing people with guns is cool and I wish the movie had more of that.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The Fifth Element is glorious. I mean it is totally over the top from start to finish, in a way that is both aware of how insane it is and at the same time plays it straight.

I don't know that I have ever seen a film that made fun of itself, made fun of what it was, while simultaneously telling a serious story, like that one.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The Fifth Element feels like a one-off. I love pretty much everything about it. Possibly my second most rewatched film after the Matrix.

I couldn't even finish Valerian. Whatever magic Besson had in the 90s is long gone.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Chas McGill posted:

The Fifth Element feels like a one-off. I love pretty much everything about it. Possibly my second most rewatched film after the Matrix.

I couldn't even finish Valerian. Whatever magic Besson had in the 90s is long gone.

Plus all the gross stuff that came out about him makes some of his movies hard to watch. Leon used to be one of my favorite movies as a teenager, now I couldn't watch it without thinking of how the main cast had to fight Besson to make Leon more of a tragically pathetic manchild instead of a cool guy macking on a twelve year-old.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Speaking of Besson losing the magic, I never even saw Lucy but wasn't that flick like extremely popular for a bit? Was it any good action-wise?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of Besson losing the magic, I never even saw Lucy but wasn't that flick like extremely popular for a bit? Was it any good action-wise?
Nah. About all I remember of it action-wise is an underwhelming car chase that may well have been shot for real but still manages to look like CG.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Neo Rasa posted:

Imagine The Matrix, but Neo achieves Onehood in the first 20 minutes and never learns Kung Fu because why should he.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
RRR is a total banger, glad I was able to catch it in theaters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Currently watching RRR and I'm not sure I've seen anything that has made me smile quite this hard in places. It bangs very hard and I'm only about half way through.