Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

xzzy posted:

My secret shame is I actually ended up liking the tile grid, it let me pin stuff in certain spots and there were nice clear icons with gaps.

The W11 style is just a bin of icons and while the icons don't move, I still hunt around too much finding an app. I hate that it needs third party apps to get the old style.

Windows 10 seems completely allergic to letting me add my own items to the start menu and I don't know why. I have stuff pinned to the tile grid just because there seems to be no way to add programs to the actual start menu programs list without incredible pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

xzzy posted:

My secret shame is I actually ended up liking the tile grid, it let me pin stuff in certain spots and there were nice clear icons with gaps.

The W11 style is just a bin of icons and while the icons don't move, I still hunt around too much finding an app. I hate that it needs third party apps to get the old style.

The tile grid was good. Different sizes of targets + spatial relationships makes for a very fast and clear mouse UI. Anyone who continued to hate the tiles based on lingering windows 8 distaste was a fool. I mean, more of a fool than they already were for using 8 in the first place.

It was the live tiles that were a bad / useless idea. I never saw anything that did an actually useful purpose with those other than the weather tile -- and there were already a million different ways to put a weather bug somewhere on your screen. Now they're going back to desktop gadgets with 11.

(Though I did like having weather in the start menu: I don't really need to see the weather 24/7 on the desktop, but having it in the start menu means I see it occasionally and know the high/low.)

Arivia posted:

Windows 10 seems completely allergic to letting me add my own items to the start menu and I don't know why. I have stuff pinned to the tile grid just because there seems to be no way to add programs to the actual start menu programs list without incredible pain.

%appdata%\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\

copy a shortcut into that folder, should show up just fine.

there's also Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\ if you want to delete / reorganize the stuff that installed programs add

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 16, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Ynglaur posted:

Yeah, I moved it back to the left corner because 25 years of muscle memory says the bottom left is where the start menu is. I could have gotten used to the center if it didn't move every time I opened a new app.

I don't really care where the Start menu is and I could probably get used to centrist icons, but as a professional computer toucher I don't think I could ever live without un-collapsed entries without labels.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

~Coxy posted:

I don't really care where the Start menu is and I could probably get used to centrist icons, but as a professional computer toucher I don't think I could ever live without un-collapsed entries without labels.

I'm a professional computer toucher (well, coder) and I hardly ever pay attention to the task bar.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I've tried running the new Outlook for Windows on Windows 11. I have a work email address and Microsoft 365 and I've joined the Beta channel and it updates ok, but when I go to start the new Outlook it asks me to sign in and then I just get taken to the Outlook website in Firefox.

Do I need to set Edge as my default browser or something?

ALSO! Why the gently caress is Microsoft still automatically updating my computer with the update that fucks up half the programs on my machine? I've uninstalled it twice? What the gently caress is wrong with these people?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 18, 2022

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

the task bar and every other element in an OS should be customizable to each user's individual needs and wants

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

doctorfrog posted:

the task bar and every other element in an OS should be customizable to each user's individual needs and wants

:agreed:

Object Desktop comes pretty close on Win11, though, tbqh. I picked it up at 60% off in a flash sale, and holy moly is it just fun and easy to use! I was able to get rid of all the third party tools (most were free, in their favor) I was using and I’m customized down to my tiny, mirrored animated cursors and icons. Occasionally Deskscapes (in beta!) borks an animated desktop on one of my monitors, but I have a hidden desktop shortcut to reload Windows Explorer that fixes the issue instantly 100% of the time so far. I highly recommend it to anyone using Win10/11, especially if you catch it at a discount!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I really think a bit more user customization would be nice. I use Groupy because I like tabs on all my poo poo and Microsoft is such a tease, with how they were thinking about releasing Sets or whatever it’s called to allow tabbed windows for all MS apps. Still, it absolutely drives me nuts that it’s built with square tabs like in Windows 10 but Windows 11 decided to curve corners so it’s a square tab sitting on top of a curved corner. It otherwise works great. Made by the same people that make the actually-customizable start menu for Windows 11 (Stardock)

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there a fast way to eject multiple hard drives? In OSX I can just click all the eject icons in finder one after another, but in windows I have to click the safely eject icon, click the thing I want to eject, dismiss the "ejected" notification that pops up over the eject button, then the eject button moves and its menu disappears, so I click the icon again, etc. I suppose I could disable the safely ejected pop up, or maybe there's a way to change where it pops up?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Toshimo posted:

Can you restart the TermService (Remote Desktop Service) service from remote powershell?

Toast Museum posted:

Nitpick: query isn't a PowerShell command; it's actually a standalone command-line executable. The inherent joy of pedantry aside, I bring it up because its mechanism for remote access is different from PowerShell Remoting. PowerShell Remoting usually takes some extra setup in non-enterprise situations, but if you think you may have done that setup at some point, you can try
code:
Invoke-Command -ComputerName <NameOfRemoteComputer> -Credential <UserNameOnRemoteComputer> -Scriptblock <SomeCommandsInCurlyBraces>
Another option that's probably more likely to work is PSExec, which uses yet another remote access mechanism.

If neither of those options pans out, and if that VM is accepting remote commands, you could enable remote login for that other account. I don't have time at the moment, but I can give more details on that if you end up needing it.

Thanks guys, unfortunately I didn't manage to make any of the other options work. Always ran into some issues, it seems that something else got messed up as well that prevented remote access. It's just my personal use so not really wroth the effort of going all in on trying to unfuck it remotely. Eventually just made it back and pushed the power button myself.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I haven't really kept up with the FTP world over the years. Is there a FTP program that you can set up so when you connect to a FTP site it can scan certain subdirectories and automatically download anything new that was added since your last visit, to the comparable subdirectories on your PC?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks guys, unfortunately I didn't manage to make any of the other options work. Always ran into some issues, it seems that something else got messed up as well that prevented remote access. It's just my personal use so not really wroth the effort of going all in on trying to unfuck it remotely. Eventually just made it back and pushed the power button myself.

I actually really want one of those smart button pusher robots for this. Just VPN into my home and use an app to press a button. Would be great for air filters and PCs that aren't listening to WoL packets and stuff.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
How lightweight is Windows 11 (or can it be) on resources?

I currently run an Ubuntu desktop VM on Virtualbox to check out the latest linux ISOs. I'm thinking about breaking everything down and switching over to VMware and installing a Win11 VM instead.

In my mind, Windows has always been a resource hog compared to Ubuntu desktops but I don't know if that is a reality these days (and I don't have the knowledge to know how to verify).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Medullah posted:

I haven't really kept up with the FTP world over the years. Is there a FTP program that you can set up so when you connect to a FTP site it can scan certain subdirectories and automatically download anything new that was added since your last visit, to the comparable subdirectories on your PC?

Yes but the answers are either free nerd-ware that you will need to learn cmdline / scripting, or paid commercial.

But also FTP is incredibly dated and has no security, nobody is keeping up with the FTP world. So if this is anything you are setting up yourself you should look at using something other than FTP.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Klyith posted:

Yes but the answers are either free nerd-ware that you will need to learn cmdline / scripting, or paid commercial.

But also FTP is incredibly dated and has no security, nobody is keeping up with the FTP world. So if this is anything you are setting up yourself you should look at using something other than FTP.

Nah, I'm not maintaining a server, there's just one old site I go to to get stuff that still uses FTP.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

powderific posted:

Is there a fast way to eject multiple hard drives? In OSX I can just click all the eject icons in finder one after another, but in windows I have to click the safely eject icon, click the thing I want to eject, dismiss the "ejected" notification that pops up over the eject button, then the eject button moves and its menu disappears, so I click the icon again, etc. I suppose I could disable the safely ejected pop up, or maybe there's a way to change where it pops up?

You can right click the drive in File Explorer and choose eject from there. Alternatively, if you have Quick Removal set up (the default since Win 10 1809), you can just unplug the drive without safely ejecting it. There's a bit more information here. Last I checked I'd still always eject from non-Windows systems though.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

powderific posted:

Nirsoft has a thing that can eject usb stuff via the command line.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

USB Disk Ejector does similarly, with a GUI. Can be configured to self-close after eject succeeds.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks all, those look exactly like what I wanted. I’ll give em a shot.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Hughmoris posted:

How lightweight is Windows 11 (or can it be) on resources?

I currently run an Ubuntu desktop VM on Virtualbox to check out the latest linux ISOs. I'm thinking about breaking everything down and switching over to VMware and installing a Win11 VM instead.

In my mind, Windows has always been a resource hog compared to Ubuntu desktops but I don't know if that is a reality these days (and I don't have the knowledge to know how to verify).

I assume "check out the latest Linux ISOs" is a euphemism as usual, but I'm not sure what euphemized activity would require its own VM. What's the host OS?

No doubt several Linux distros run leaner than Windows, but real-world performance differences also depend on factors like how well the apps/drivers/etc. you're using are optimized for either OS.

It's also worth pausing to ask whether marginal performance differences actually matter for your use-case. Unless your system is very resource-constrained, Windows 10/11 will run just fine, so unless there's a pressing need to wring out every last drop of performance, I'd recommend just using the OS you prefer.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Toast Museum posted:

I assume "check out the latest Linux ISOs" is a euphemism as usual, but I'm not sure what euphemized activity would require its own VM. What's the host OS?

No doubt several Linux distros run leaner than Windows, but real-world performance differences also depend on factors like how well the apps/drivers/etc. you're using are optimized for either OS.

It's also worth pausing to ask whether marginal performance differences actually matter for your use-case. Unless your system is very resource-constrained, Windows 10/11 will run just fine, so unless there's a pressing need to wring out every last drop of performance, I'd recommend just using the OS you prefer.

Thanks. My host is Windows 10, and I currently have the Ubuntu VM dedicated to just getting said linux ISOs behind a VPN. I'm most comfortable with Windows by far, so I'll give that a go on VMWare.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hughmoris posted:

Thanks. My host is Windows 10, and I currently have the Ubuntu VM dedicated to just getting said linux ISOs behind a VPN. I'm most comfortable with Windows by far, so I'll give that a go on VMWare.

This is kind of the ideal use for a Debian server install running transmission and storing the files on the host machine. Run the VM as a service and give it like one core and 512mb of ram. What do you need to do that you need Windows for? Are you running some of these… isos in the VM?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Hughmoris posted:

What tuyop said. Alternatively, if it's just for downloading stuff from behind a VPN, there are some Docker containers out there that might fit the bill as well.

re: VMWare/VirtualBox, if your Windows 10 edition is anything above Home, the built-in Hyper-V Manager should also be available to you.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

jokes posted:

I really think a bit more user customization would be nice. I use Groupy because I like tabs on all my poo poo <snip>
Made by the same people that make the actually-customizable start menu for Windows 11 (Stardock)

Yeah, Object Desktop is made by Stardock, and includes all of the stuff for customizing your setup (including Groupy!). It’s a pretty good deal if you use something like Fences and Groupy together, without really costing much more than two or three of the individual applications bought separately. Plus their communities have over a literal decade of free customizations if you really get bored at home one night!

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 21, 2022

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Everything works just fine right now using an Ubuntu guest + Virtualbox but boredom makes me want to try out VMWare. We'll see if the motivation persists but thanks for the info!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Not sure if I'm asking in the right place. I have Outlook.com pinned to my taskbar but it only allows me access to one of my Outlook accounts. Is there a way for me to add all my other accounts or does the PWA just support one account at a time?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Hughmoris posted:

Everything works just fine right now using an Ubuntu guest + Virtualbox but boredom makes me want to try out VMWare. We'll see if the motivation persists but thanks for the info!

If you really, really want a deep rabbit hole dive, VMware ESXi is free up to some reasonable mumber of cores and RAM - so in theory you can set up a hypervisor, install Windows in it and forward your GPU, USB controller and perhaps an nvme disk into there - and then use the Web interface to ESXi to set up new VMs running alongside Windows.

Disclaimer: GPU forwarding is about as easy and predictable as using Wiccan magic to fix your plumbing problems.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Medullah posted:

Nah, I'm not maintaining a server, there's just one old site I go to to get stuff that still uses FTP.

Traditional wget with suitable command line options can probably manage that. Option --mirror may be enough, or some combination of --timestamping, --continue, --no-parent, --level=depth, --recursive, --no-host-directories.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Saukkis posted:

Traditional wget with suitable command line options can probably manage that. Option --mirror may be enough, or some combination of --timestamping, --continue, --no-parent, --level=depth, --recursive, --no-host-directories.

Man that's a blast from the past.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bought a cheapo desktop to use as a file server and a few other things. Windows 11, 8g RAM so nothing special, but it's INSANELY slow. Like a 20 second delay between clicking a bookmark and it beginning to open, typing full sentences out before it starts registering. Much faster in safe mode. Are there any good general diagnostic programs to check everything? Want to rule out a hardware issue before I play with software

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Is this some OEM system? Clean reinstall Windows yourself and see how it is then.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Yeah, that sounds more like a software issue to me, and I'd probably want to do a fresh install with that kind of purchase anyway.

Re: hardware diagnostics, what brand is it? The bigger names usually have some diags built into the firmware.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Windows telemetry and diagnostics running in the background can occasionally really slow down systems, regardless of how fast they are.

I haven’t been able to find any rhyme or reason as to why/how/when it occurs but turning off all the telemetry options can be a big help in some cases.

It’s worth a try anyways, and the only thing you’re missing out on is sending diagnostics on your usage to MS :v:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I bet it has a spindle drive. Replace it with an ssd and you’ll be good to go.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

I bet it has a spindle drive. Replace it with an ssd and you’ll be good to go.

This or replace windows with a Linux install without a desktop environment

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I decided it wasn't worth messing around with since it was still in the return policy and just returned it. Thanks guys.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I will have to access a ~8ish year old Linux system (no idea which flavour/version, will see when I get there tomorrow) and pull some files from it to a Windows environment. Apparently it's an old file server, now when they try to connect to it from W10, they get a "SMB3 missing" error (or something similar).

Am I correct to assume that I will just need to enable "SMB1/CFIS File sharing" windows feature to get it back working?

Alternatively, I'll bring a bootable Ubuntu stick as well, but since I have no idea what hardware the server is using, I'm not sure if I'll be able to boot into it.

Going in blind, what are my best bets to get some files off the old linux server to Windows 10?

I have some very basic knowledge of Linux and coming from the Windows end of the equation, I thought I'd ask here...

Edit: Thanks for the feedback, turned out SMB3 on the server was gone after a reset. Just enabled SMB1 on the Windows client, pulled the files off, disabled it again and now the server can get dumpstered.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 25, 2022

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

mcbexx posted:

I will have to access a ~8ish year old Linux system (no idea which flavour/version, will see when I get there tomorrow) and pull some files from it to a Windows environment. Apparently it's an old file server, now when they try to connect to it from W10, they get a "SMB3 missing" error (or something similar).

Am I correct to assume that I will just need to enable "SMB1/CFIS File sharing" windows feature to get it back working?

Alternatively, I'll bring a bootable Ubuntu stick as well, but since I have no idea what hardware the server is using, I'm not sure if I'll be able to boot into it.

Going in blind, what are my best bets to get some files off the old linux server to Windows 10?

I have some very basic knowledge of Linux and coming from the Windows end of the equation, I thought I'd ask here...

Is this a prelude to decommissioning the old Linux machine, or will you have to access it on an ongoing basis? If this is a one-time thing and it's not that much data, you can always copy to an external drive and sneakernet it over the Windows machine. Re: bringing an Ubuntu flash drive, you may run into permissions issues. If I recall correctly, the portable OS will respect the file/directory permissions set by the other Linux instance, so it might be less of a hassle working from the OS already on the machine.

If the Linux server is sticking around, I'd lean toward getting it configured to use SMBv3 rather than enabling SMBv1 on the Windows machine.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mcbexx posted:

Probably, if the file server has antiquated samba or was set up for only SMB1. Just remember to turn that back off again on windows when done.

mcbexx posted:

Bootable ubuntu stick is a good bet as long as it's X86 -- usually old hardware is well supported and works fine. Only trouble would be if this file server has a SAS/RAID card that isn't supported.

Follow the instructions for using rufus, and when you get to step 5 drag the "persistent partition" slider over to fill up the rest of the drive. That'll give you space on the usb stick itself where you can copy files to -- and fat32 format so windows can read it. So if you have a big stick you may not even need to use the network to move stuff.

If you don't have enough external storage, and have to both boot from the USB stick plus use network, I would set the windows PC to have a writable share and push the files from linux, rather than try to set up shares from a live stick.

edit:

Toast Museum posted:

If I recall correctly, the portable OS will respect the file/directory permissions set by the other Linux instance, so it might be less of a hassle working from the OS already on the machine.
If this is a destructive decommissioning, just sudo chmod -R 777 everything.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My company’s dumb Norton software is soaking up so much of my dumb computer’s performance I might just pitch that they let me use Defender so I can actually work. We don’t even have IT people, it’s just being used for malware/phishing protection!

Maybe I’ll pitch Defender for Business and deploy it myself, I’ve done that before.