Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Did people die? Cause if people died that's #1 on the list of things to fix first.

As an RDM main this is my single biggest beef with parsers. Every time I push Verraise I'm adding far more DPS over the remaining time of the fight than any other button I could have pressed during that GCD. But it doesn't help my parse, it hurts it.

I know there's no reasonable way to account for that in rDPS or whatever that wouldn't be massively exploitable, but that doesn't make it hurt less when I'm on track for my best parse of a tier and like four people die at the same time.

Theris fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Theris posted:

As an RDM main this is my single biggest beef with parsers. Every time I push Verraise I'm adding far more DPS over the remaining time of the fight than any other button I could have pressed during that GCD. But it doesn't help my parse, it hurts it.

I know there's no reasonable way to account for that in rDPS or whatever, but that doesn't make it hurt less when I'm on track for my best parse of a tier and like four people die at the same time.

The bigger problem for the clear is that those deaths just kneecapped the personal DPS of the people who died for their time on the floor AND for the time they have the res debuff. Unless they were already doubling someone else's DPS, no amount of git gud pro DPS is going to fix that.

Well, except not dying in the first place.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

sassassin posted:

The first two missions take place in La Noscea. That's where the marksmanship trainer pirate is. It's not like Dark Knight where you're doing stuff in Ishgard right away.

It is a story wholly built around a noble deciding to arm and empower the lowborn to better defend Ishgard against its enemies. So no it doesn't easily get swapped to Limsa Lominsa given how much of the story is built out of the actual specific social hierarchy of Ishgard.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Warmachine posted:

The bigger problem for the clear is that those deaths just kneecapped the personal DPS of the people who died for their time on the floor AND for the time they have the res debuff. Unless they were already doubling someone else's DPS, no amount of git gud pro DPS is going to fix that.

Well, except not dying in the first place.

Yeah, this is my general philosophy. Sure I may have delayed a cast resolving that mechanic but I didn't die and won't have rez sickness for an eternity. But yeah, I'm RDM main too. I know the verraise pain.

The mechanic I have the most trouble with on ex3 is those loving rings, I have so much trouble reading them for some reason

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1526169208987471872

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Theris posted:

I know there's no reasonable way to account for that in rDPS or whatever that wouldn't be massively exploitable, but that doesn't make it hurt less when I'm on track for my best parse of a tier and like four people die at the same time.
If it makes you feel better, if four people suddenly die you almost certainly aren't going to get your best parse ever even if you couldn't rez, since your kill time just jumped up a bunch.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

The housing patch that keeps on giving!

Honestly though I'm still excited to put down a deposit on a small house as it's all I can afford. While there's no way I'll win (probably) that won't stop me from trying. :unsmith:

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I enjoy my cottage, having to decorate a bigger space feels Intimidating, almost like an obligation

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

One hat I want is tied to a BLM quest 'One Golem to Rule Them All'. Another is tied to an achievement for hitting level 80 as THM.

What is the easiest way to get these hats if I have zero interest in going 0-80 as BLM? Level boosting with friends / FC or cash shop items are options.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Heran Bago posted:

One hat I want is tied to a BLM quest 'One Golem to Rule Them All'. Another is tied to an achievement for hitting level 80 as THM.

What is the easiest way to get these hats if I have zero interest in going 0-80 as BLM? Level boosting with friends / FC or cash shop items are options.

Cash shop is the *easiest* if you want to spend the Real American Dollars.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Heran Bago posted:

If you have zero interest in playing Black Mage, why would you want to get two hats that you would only be able to use as glam while you're a Black Mage?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

W.T. Fits posted:

If you have zero interest in playing Black Mage, why would you want to get two hats that you would only be able to use as glam while you're a Black Mage?

I'm collecting every conical hat glam.

I'd be willing to be BLM for dress up or maybe PvP

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

IDK if ondo cups power leveling survived into endwalker or if there is a better endwalker zone equivalent now, but if it's still around that is that's a good option to get to 30. Once you have the job crystal you can just level it up in frontlines (you don't even have to play BLM in the actual match, just queue as it), if you're willing to have it as a passive proejct for like a couple months

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Here's a summary of frontline:

Is your team winning? Both other teams work together to fight you.

Is your team losing? The other losing team is going to faceroll their keyboard into your base for no reason, letting the winning team win easily'

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

How do people even Melee in frontlines? Tried it as NIN and anytime I would jump in just ended in with me getting destroyed.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

How do people even Melee in frontlines? Tried it as NIN and anytime I would jump in just ended in with me getting destroyed.

People who are tryharding don't really. The best comp in my experience is mostly summoners, white mages, and scholars, maybe with a smattering of tanks to do warrior ult or be sticky on objectives. If someone had a gun to my head and said I had to play melee I would probably pick DRG due to the ranged poke, escape, and ult

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

NIN is actually one of the better options since you don't need to melee at all except for your limit break and your stun. Just spam ranged ninjutsu (especially Goka Mekkyaku to really pad your assists and damage score) and Fuma Shuriken and don't bother going for Assassinate and Mug unless you see a *really* good opportunity for it. I had a Monk do well in one of my Frontline games but that might've just been because he was sticking near me and I was cheesing people on WHM + tossing him Cures and Aquaveils constantly. DRG should also be good since most of your burst is both AoE and ranged - just don't bother trying to High Jump, and expect Sky High to be a one-way trip most of the time.

But yeah, Frontline is hosed right now and I don't recommend playing anything other than SMN, SCH, or WHM

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lord_Magmar posted:

It is a story wholly built around a noble deciding to arm and empower the lowborn to better defend Ishgard against its enemies. So no it doesn't easily get swapped to Limsa Lominsa given how much of the story is built out of the actual specific social hierarchy of Ishgard.

And the quests as they are now show that they can establish that without actually requiring players to be in Ishgard from the off. There's nothing precluding them sticking a gun in players hands at level 30 as the early action all takes place in La Noscea. They could put a hard stop on quest progression until Before The Dawn is completed just like Gunbreaker has, when those locations are actually necessary.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Theris posted:

If I'm doing good damage I become the healer that will not hardcast raise. Swiftcast is for DPSing during movement and presence of mind is for casting hurt spells faster.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
frontlines is quite easy on dragoon as long as you're careful about your purify/guard/elusive jump cooldowns. you have a lot of options for getting around and keeping safe, and sky shatter has way higher kill potential than summoner limit break on its own

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

sassassin posted:

And the quests as they are now show that they can establish that without actually requiring players to be in Ishgard from the off. There's nothing precluding them sticking a gun in players hands at level 30 as the early action all takes place in La Noscea. They could put a hard stop on quest progression until Before The Dawn is completed just like Gunbreaker has, when those locations are actually necessary.

I feel like there's a big difference between accounting for an edge case where a level 68 player doesn't have the 60-ish MSQ progress that the typical player should and putting a big "come back in 10 levels and 5 patches, because we said so" block that any hapless newbie who decides to play MCH will inevitably ram into head-first

If someone put a gun to YoshiP's head and demanded that they put the MCH quests in Limsa the dev team could probably make it work and still sort of make sense in the story, but there's a lot of knock-on effects you're not thinking about

Ryanbomber fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 16, 2022

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Dragongem posted:

Here's a summary of frontline:

Is your team winning? Both other teams work together to fight you.

Is your team losing? The other losing team is going to faceroll their keyboard into your base for no reason, letting the winning team win easily'

I had one the other day where my team got an early lead at mid, then evenly split up and got rolled on both ends at the same time. They briefly regained the lead when everybody met at mid again and after that they once again split up and returned to being overwhelmed.

It was kind of impressive, honestly.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Monk can be real good too but you have to know what you're doing. Pick a target, rush them,stun them, knock them back into your murderball, then rush them again to escape. Or hang out near a cliff and do the same but knock them off the side.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I want to check the placard to see if I got a house but I don’t remember which ward of the Ishgard zone I was in (and I’m a bit iffy on the plot but I’ll know it when I see it). Can I look that up somehow?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I have a question that only the truest, studied, bona fide lore masters can answer for me
What is thordan saying in the English lines for ultimate end with the “I shall bury you and your ????”
What’s that last word I can never make it out properly

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

RME posted:

I have a question that only the truest, studied, bona fide lore masters can answer for me
What is thordan saying in the English lines for ultimate end with the “I shall bury you and your ????”
What’s that last word I can never make it out properly

It's either "I shall bury you and your beliefs" or "I shall bury you and your reliefs."

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

"beliefs" sounds like it should be right but I definitely hear a hard R at the start

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's either "I shall bury you and your beliefs" or "I shall bury you and your reliefs."

Thank you “beliefs” sounds correct to me now. However the toxic raider in myself would appreciate if you could present some loving lore credentials to backup your claims

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Vitamean posted:

"beliefs" sounds like it should be right but I definitely hear a hard R at the start

Reliefs would work in the sense that he's going to tear down the image of the Warrior of Light as a hero and replace it with his own. In this case Reliefs would carry the connotation of like, church reliefs of the gods and such.

Thordan wants to be god-king, I'm pretty sure he's past worshipping Halone and intends to usurp her at minimum.

RME posted:

Thank you “beliefs” sounds correct to me now. However the toxic raider in myself would appreciate if you could present some loving lore credentials to backup your claims

I have this star because I am the Idiot King/Lorechief of the World of Warcraft Lore Thread. I have fought Lore Wars you couldn't even comprehend over a much more confusing and retcon filled mess of a game. I have taken the same passion to learning about WoW that got me this position to learning about FFXIV Lore.

Also I looked it up via google, and listened to a 20 second youtube video of all his voicelines for myself separated from all game sound besides the voice

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 16, 2022

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Unfortunately that might be worse than no credentials

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Subjunctive posted:

I want to check the placard to see if I got a house but I don’t remember which ward of the Ishgard zone I was in (and I’m a bit iffy on the plot but I’ll know it when I see it). Can I look that up somehow?

In the Timers window, second tab there should be an estate lottery selection that you can check.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

sassassin posted:

Maaaybe Camp Dragonhead could work as a suitable replacement for the first 20 levels without modifying the story too heavily. But it definitely loses something when you don’t see the contrast between the noble sections and the slums of Ishgard.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mind over Matter posted:

In the Timers window, second tab there should be an estate lottery selection that you can check.

Just says “lottery in results phase” or whatever.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

FFXIV lore. Let's all go and have fun 😊😊😊

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Did people die? Cause if people died that's #1 on the list of things to fix first.

Yesterday I had an ex3 kill with 11 deaths (and no healer LB3 used, so no rez without rez sickness).
The DPS check for that fight is quite generous

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

I would like to say that it does matter if you're wearing 600 vs your level 89 AF set. The level 89 AF set is i560. You're losing out on 5 ilevels of mainstat and substats, but you also get the materia bonuses for the 560. There may be a situation where the materia bonuses outweigh the loss in mainstat. I haven't looked into it.

Now there is no difference between moonward vs asphodelos in unreal.

Technically the way syncing works, sufficiently higher ilvl can be better than at ilvl gear with materia. When synced, your stats are just lowered to the appropriate caps for that ilvl. These are the same caps that you see when melding materia. However, it does not differentiate between the strong and weak substats on a piece of gear, so while an at-ilvl piece of gear can reach one of those caps with materia, you probably won't be hitting both. But with high enough ilvl gear you will get to the cap in both substats. In practice, this only barely makes a difference in Ultimates. Unreals (and especially Ultima Unreal, a very easy fight) are definitely not tightly tuned enough for you to ever notice a difference, especially with only ~30 extra ilvls of gear.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

WrightOfWay posted:

Technically the way syncing works, sufficiently higher ilvl can be better than at ilvl gear with materia. When synced, your stats are just lowered to the appropriate caps for that ilvl. These are the same caps that you see when melding materia. However, it does not differentiate between the strong and weak substats on a piece of gear, so while an at-ilvl piece of gear can reach one of those caps with materia, you probably won't be hitting both. But with high enough ilvl gear you will get to the cap in both substats. In practice, this only barely makes a difference in Ultimates. Unreals (and especially Ultima Unreal, a very easy fight) are definitely not tightly tuned enough for you to ever notice a difference, especially with only ~30 extra ilvls of gear.

I never knew this. Just synced myself down to confirm, and it does indeed sync both substats to cap. Thank you for this!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

I never knew this. Just synced myself down to confirm, and it does indeed sync both substats to cap. Thank you for this!

That's also why the lvl 80 relic weapon is BIS for syncing down: You can customize the substats so you don't waste any points.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I've reached the point in my crafting journey where I find myself frequently capping out on crafting scripts. I don't have need of any gear so is there anything that converts to gil easily or something else worth spending them on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

rantmo posted:

I've reached the point in my crafting journey where I find myself frequently capping out on crafting scripts. I don't have need of any gear so is there anything that converts to gil easily or something else worth spending them on?

Stock up on blue balls.