Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
ffvii is about bonking bad guys with your big sword for killing your gf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Aeris wishes she could've got that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DrPossum posted:

ffvii is about bonking bad guys with your big sword for killing your gf

Your girlfriend is you own self loathing at failing to achieve your dreams???

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Ffvii is about trying to get that hot date with Barret at the gold saucer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
final fantasy 7 is about the power of gay

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
FF7 is about dilly-dallying and shilly-shallying

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
ff7 is about naming cloud after yourself barret after your best friend and all the girls after the girls u like

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
*takes a long drag from illegal marijuana cigarette*

George posted:

Webster's defines "Weapon" as:

1 : something (such as a club, knife, or gun) used to injure, defeat, or destroy
2 : a means of contending against another

If Final Fantasy VII is about anything it is about recontextualization. Sephiroth learns he was an Ancient and plots to save the world, then learns he is cloned from an alien invader and plots to destroy it. Cloud learns he was never in SOLDIER and becomes a willing puppet, then pursues his own truth as aletheia and cuts all of the strings. Nanaki believes his father to be a coward and betrayer, but finding his petrified corpse's last stand allows him to finally see his own strength of will.

These stories are legion in Final Fantasy VII, and the same lens can be used to better understand Shinra Co. itself. As the uber-Zaibatsu, the Shinra president dominated lives with wealth and desire. His son is more ruthless, leveraging the might of Shinra's technology not at production but at destruction. Where the father viewed natural resources as standing-reserve to fuel his political machine, the son sees the corporation itself as standing-reserve to fuel his war machine. Shinra Co. itself becomes a weapon, and it's only fitting that the head of weapons in Shinra is named after the most essential and profound philosophical influence on the game generally: Martin Heidegger.

This essay will explore the connection between Da-sein's being-in-the-world and the literal with-world of the Lifestream, as well as the symbolic role of the four Weapons the planet forges to fight against humanity as well as the artificial Weapon made by Heidegger himself to fight against the planet: Proud Claude, an obvious reference to Star Ocean II's themes of technological conquest over magic as well as...
:goonsay:

*takes another drag*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAtmwvkrqFQ

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
weed just ain't enough any more cloud. poo poo, im jamming mako straight in my &@*$& veins

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Final Fantasy 7 is about whatever this is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s-ls2pu-vE

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Devils Affricate posted:

*takes a long drag from illegal marijuana cigarette*

*takes another drag*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAtmwvkrqFQ

those chocobos represent the call of conscience calling Da-sein back to its authentic being, but in the world of Gaia this call comes not from Da-sein itself but from an objectively-present underground river that speaks through animals

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
FF VII is about being a prequel to Kingdom Hearts

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Archer666 posted:

FF VII is about being a prequel to Kingdom Hearts

Nerds get so mad when you point out that Kingdom Hearts 2 was the real Final Fantasy 8

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

Nerds get so mad when you point out that Kingdom Hearts 2 was the real Final Fantasy 8

Kingdom hearts is the 3rd FF8. the first one is Shadow Madness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn7JJWrEBM0
the second FF8 is of course FF8

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
FF VII is about 20 hours too long.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Breetai posted:

no one forced you to combine Quadra Magic and Knights of the Round. you did that to yourself

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I loved that grind in FFVII when I was in high school, and then I played it again 3 years ago on PS4 and one of my immediate reactions was, "lmao i will never do any of the weapons or grind any of the ultimate magic ever again holy poo poo, I doubt I'll even bother getting Yuffie"

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
we_have_ffvii_at_home.jpg

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
As a kid I was honestly disappointed when you left Midgard and I realized the entire game wasn’t going to take place there. It was such a great and at the time unique setting, only for the next half to two thirds of the game to take place in a pretty standard (if still neat) PS1 era JRPG world. And as much as I rag on FF7 (and JRPG’s in general) for sucking as actual games, the art design, world flow, and pre rendered backgrounds in the Midgard part of the game are so good as to nearly make up for it. It’s a City the size of a country, that literally has cities above other cities. It’s big enough to set half a dozen games in.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

galagazombie posted:

As a kid I was honestly disappointed when you left Midgard and I realized the entire game wasn’t going to take place there. It was such a great and at the time unique setting, only for the next half to two thirds of the game to take place in a pretty standard (if still neat) PS1 era JRPG world. And as much as I rag on FF7 (and JRPG’s in general) for sucking as actual games, the art design, world flow, and pre rendered backgrounds in the Midgard part of the game are so good as to nearly make up for it. It’s a City the size of a country, that literally has cities above other cities. It’s big enough to set half a dozen games in.

Leaving midgar for the first time blew my mind at the time cuz I too thought the whole game was going to take place in the city and then having the sudden realisation that whole section was only an introduction was like whooaaa

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fridge corn posted:

Leaving midgar for the first time blew my mind at the time cuz I too thought the whole game was going to take place in the city and then having the sudden realisation that whole section was only an introduction was like whooaaa

"wow every city in this world must be as well designed and expansive as midgar!" :downs:

*every other city is two screens with 5-7 npcs*

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I restarted breath of the wild at the weekend, I have my problems with it but disconnected from the hype cycle it's a really cool game with a lot to like.

I'll be surprised if I complete it since I have never in my life completed a Zelda but it's funny to look back on how negative I felt about it first time round and also how negative others can be. It's a good well made game and not like twilight Princess which didn't have a good tone or style to it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Rutibex posted:

"wow every city in this world must be as well designed and expansive as midgar!" :downs:

Both FFXV and Dragon’s Dogma really only have only two towns, a big one and a small one.

You think you’re getting a huge world to explore but 95% of it is fields you could make in the Unity terrain editor in 5 minutes, with the same outpost/diner copy pasted everywhere

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

kntfkr posted:

ff7 is about naming cloud after yourself barret after your best friend and all the girls after the girls u like

this but every final fantasy

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

kntfkr posted:

The one thing earthbound did right was let you pick "weed" as your favourite thing

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

That loving Sned posted:

You think you’re getting a huge world to explore but 95% of it is fields you could make in the Unity terrain editor in 5 minutes, with the same outpost/diner copy pasted everywhere

sounds like it was designed to accurately represent a road trip across most of america

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

MrQwerty posted:

I loved that grind in FFVII when I was in high school, and then I played it again 3 years ago on PS4 and one of my immediate reactions was, "lmao i will never do any of the weapons or grind any of the ultimate magic ever again holy poo poo, I doubt I'll even bother getting Yuffie"

Lol this was me, and around 3 years ago too. I actually dropped it entirely when I got to fort condor and remembered what that was like

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
The original FF7 is downright breezy after playing FF7R. They padded 3 hours of content into a 30 hour game with only one additional chapter and a bunch of side quests to make up for it, all the Sephiroth BS at the end not withstanding.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The FF7 remake is a well made product but it's not a good final fantasy 7 remake

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

There's a megapatch for the PC version of FF7 that fixes a ton of poo poo and gives you decent looking character models on the overworld. https://ff7.live/index.html

It also works with the Remako mod that gives you 4k AI upscaled backgrounds and videos.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Devils Affricate posted:

we_have_ffvii_at_home.jpg

This game has an enormous cult following and as someone who bought it when it came out, I think those people are crazy.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I hate the word selfie for making the name Selphie untenable.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Rutibex posted:

A jRPG staple.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Random Stranger posted:

This game has an enormous cult following and as someone who bought it when it came out, I think those people are crazy.

it's bad

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Breetai posted:

That's a pretty fast time to beat FF VII, wow

Actually I got curious about what the record for FF VII speed running is and apparently it's a little under 7 hours but all of the players play it on PS2 lol, the original playstation can't catch a break

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I really don't want to say anything bad about FF7, I thought it was as cool as heck when I was a kid but I can't help but feel there was a certain ticking over point where I would have tried it and thought it was obtuse anime garbage

JRPGs are a lot like Wrestling, yeah I loving loved them when I was a kid but i think at some point it just seems more reasonable to grow out of that interest rather than carry it into your 30's.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I somehow didn't play FFVII back in the day even though I was a massive playstation kid and had or rented so many games. I suppose I didn't play many rpgs at all in that generation now I think about it.

Without any nostalgia it just looks like a bunch of JRPG nonsense to me at this point.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I just realised that even FF8 follows the old anime trope whereby the protagonist sits at the back right of the class.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I played a few hours of FFVII back in the day because I gave into the hype. Found it tedious and dumb. FF and JRPGS in general are just not my thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

MrQwerty posted:

i did a playthrough a year or two ago and yeah, once i hit the end of disc 2/open of disc 3 i thought of all the extra poo poo to do...and just said nah gently caress it and went straight for northern crater. grinding for omnislash, gold chocobo, knights of the round, etc. is just not gonna happen nowadays