Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
not directly RPG related but something really neat I found that is worth looking into for inspiration; Rust & Humus: 1.)The Green Moon And The Land of Uhia, some of the most haunting yet gorgeous art I've seen in a long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hyphz posted:

So, cool, a heist taking place in a circus! Sounds great! Except.. there's no detail on how to do the heist. There's a description of what skill check to do to try and steal one of the artifacts from the owners, and that's it. Everything else is just random scenes that the PCs might encounter while exploring the circus innocently, which is all fine, but almost nothing that would help the GM run the process of stealing the artefact. I mean, yes, the GM has to improvise, sure, but surely improvising the regular run of the circus would be easier than improvising the heist?
To answer your last question: what? God no. Or rather, the "random scenes" you described are what you need to run a heist. The best part of a heist is coming up with the heist; having the game include a heist plan only works if the players independently come up with the exact same heist the writers did, or you tell them the "right way" to do it so all they do is roll dice at the right time. And where is the fun in that? None of this requires the players to want bad things to happen to their characters either.

Or are you wanting them to include an entire heist subsystem mechanic ala BitD?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
To be fair, there's probably a middle ground between "literally laying out an entire heist" and what hyphz is describing. "If your players try to steal one of the artifacts, it should probably involve a scene or two of set-up and the actual theft, here's a short example so you know roughly how many rolls you should expect/if your party needs more ideas".

Is the adventure as bad at it as hyphz is describing? I don't know, I don't pay attention to 5e. But I also don't really trust WotC's adventure design, so I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't super helpful.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I also see that Zach Morrison of the Paranatural webcomic has put out a set of illustrated 5e subclasses on itch.io to help meet some financial needs, if that interests anybody.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Splicer posted:

To answer your last question: what? God no. Or rather, the "random scenes" you described are what you need to run a heist. The best part of a heist is coming up with the heist; having the game include a heist plan only works if the players independently come up with the exact same heist the writers did, or you tell them the "right way" to do it so all they do is roll dice at the right time. And where is the fun in that? None of this requires the players to want bad things to happen to their characters either.

Or are you wanting them to include an entire heist subsystem mechanic ala BitD?

John Rogers wrote an entire essay on setting up heists for RPGs in the Crimeworld section of FATE. It really is worth a read.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

hyphz posted:

(and also "Thaco the Clown", a grumpy old man who hangs out complaining about everything and smoking a bubble pipe, which is apparently a reference)

THAC0, the old AC system from very early D&D editions. He's a grumpy clown guarding a gate, complaining about everything, and notably hating "kids". It's a "gatekeeping grognards" dig. I'll give credit, I didn't laugh but I did smile.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

SkyeAuroline posted:

THAC0, the old AC system from very early D&D editions. He's a grumpy clown guarding a gate, complaining about everything, and notably hating "kids". It's a "gatekeeping grognards" dig. I'll give credit, I didn't laugh but I did smile.

The claim is it's also a direct reference to RPGPundit, who apparently is known for smoking a pipe.

Splicer posted:

Hmm. I mean, what I'm talking about is lack of system detail.

For example, we only get one piece of information about the movements of the owners. We get a vague description of the carriages where they rest, but nothing that might identify hiding places or escape opportunities. We don't find out how the carriages are secured, and although there are stats for the regular circus hands, we don't know how many are on guard or where. (Technically if the PCs just kill the owners the hands give them the password anyway, which seems a bit awkward, but then again it's level 1 D&D 5e and the owners are level 3, so that's probably not going to go well.)

Now, yes, you can do it BitD style with book-level (as apposed to movie-level or tactical-level) description and improvisation, and yes, some D&D 5e players would probably like to play BitD but aren't because everyone has to play D&D 5e. But in general D&D 5e players are not BitD players, and certainly D&D 5e GMs who buy adventure modules are not BitD GMs. So while this might not be "bad" overall, as a 5e module it's going to be disappointing.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 16, 2022

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

hyphz posted:

Hmm. I mean, what I'm talking about is lack of system detail.

For example, we only get one piece of information about the movements of the owners. We get a vague description of the carriages where they rest, but nothing that might identify hiding places or escape opportunities. We don't find out how the carriages are secured, and although there are stats for the regular circus hands, we don't know how many are on guard or where. (Technically if the PCs just kill the owners the hands give them the password anyway, which seems a bit awkward, but then again it's level 1 D&D 5e and the owners are level 3, so that's probably not going to go well.)

Now, yes, you can do it BitD style with book-level (as apposed to movie-level or tactical-level) description and improvisation, and yes, some D&D 5e players would probably like to play BitD but aren't because everyone has to play D&D 5e. But in general D&D 5e players are not BitD players, and certainly D&D 5e GMs who buy adventure modules are not BitD GMs. So while this might not be "bad" overall, as a 5e module it's going to be disappointing.

Yeah, you don't need to plan the heist for the players, you need to make the thing heistable. A pointcrawl with some kind of enemy roster and guard routine, that kind of stuff.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Uh, I actually just read through that section of the adventure and the module actually goes pretty far out of its way to give the players/DM an easy set up to steal the necessary item.

So for those who haven't read the module: The item the party is supposed to steal is one of two magical items that are always kept on the person of one of the two owners of the carnival at all times: A magic pocketwatch and a magic clown stick. The NPC who's asking you to do this specifically recommends you try for the watch since it's easier to swipe and its theft likely won't be noticed as quickly as the stick. The paragraph for "The Heist" gives a specific DC for a Sleight of Hand check to pickpocket the watch and notes the character doing the swipe will need something like Thieves' Tools, a Dagger or other such implement to cut the watch's chain to perform the check with the check being made with advantage if the target is distracted. The NPC asking you to do this is also adamant that you don't harm the two guys you're stealing from.

Basically the only major hitch presented is that the PCs need to find an opportunity to get close to the guy with the pocket watch, and the heist section specifically references the "Crowning of the Witchlight Monarch" listing under the timed events section as the most opportune time to perform the heist since its one of the few times the two carnival owners will be separated. The owners also specifically show up in several of the other timed events that occur throughout the course of the carnival. All in all it seems like a pretty straightforward case of "Party needs to find an opportune moment and pickpocket this one guy successfully" so I don't really know what additional information you're looking for?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, you don't need to plan the heist for the players, you need to make the thing heistable. A pointcrawl with some kind of enemy roster and guard routine, that kind of stuff.

Here's the FATE SRD take on it...

https://fate-srd.com/fate-codex/infiltration-cracking-house

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I couldn't find the "recommend me a system" thread anymore, so I'm going to ask here instead. I'm looking for:

- something in the OSR or OSR-adjacent space
- something that was released in the two years
- something that you think would look nice as a printed book

background: I ordered the Apollo 47 Technical Manual the other day, and I figure since I only get things shipped from the US once in a blue moon I might as well go all out, but I've been rather out-of-touch with the hobby for a while (for personal reasons) so I'm looking for something nice and recent

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I couldn't find the "recommend me a system" thread anymore, so I'm going to ask here instead. I'm looking for:

background: I ordered the Apollo 47 Technical Manual the other day, and I figure since I only get things shipped from the US once in a blue moon I might as well go all out, but I've been rather out-of-touch with the hobby for a while (for personal reasons) so I'm looking for something nice and recent

not sure what kind of printed book you mean so: revised stygian library, worlds without number, into the odd/electric bastionland, cairn

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Worlds Without Number is pretty new, is a versatile book (even if you don’t use the base mechanics, you might like the world generators and faction mechanics), and is kind of expensive to ship by itself. That could work?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Electric Bastionland is an absolutely beautiful book.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey all, does anyone else recall the Firaxis dev team saying they workshopped their original XCOM as a.board game and made sure that was good before they started building the actual PC game? I swear that was a talking point back when the game was new. Anyway, has anything ever come out about the specifics of it's rules? AFAIK the actual XCOM board game is an abstraction of the strategic layer?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Here is the recommend me a system thread for anyone who wants to bookmark it

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey all, does anyone else recall the Firaxis dev team saying they workshopped their original XCOM as a.board game and made sure that was good before they started building the actual PC game? I swear that was a talking point back when the game was new. Anyway, has anything ever come out about the specifics of it's rules? AFAIK the actual XCOM board game is an abstraction of the strategic layer?

They do workshop a lot of things as board games but the x-com board game is absolutely nothing like it. I doubt you'll find the rules to what they did any time soon. The XCOM board game is a somewhat re-themed space alert type deal.

Firaxis has hired a LOT of board game designers. They had the person who designed Twilight Struggle do a lot of work on both XCOMs, and the person who designed Here I Stand do some work on Civ.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 17, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Panzeh posted:

They do workshop a lot of things as board games but the x-com board game is absolutely nothing like it. I doubt you'll find the rules to what they did any time soon. The XCOM board game is a somewhat re-themed space alert type deal.

Firaxis has hired a LOT of board game designers. They had the person who designed Twilight Struggle do a lot of work on both XCOMs, and the person who designed Here I Stand do some work on Civ.

I'd like to make a 40k custom ruleset for my local group that's similar to XCOM, and I was hoping to shamelessly steal their actual rules instead of reverse engineering it from the PC Game, but I guess it's never surfaced.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I found Level 7: Omega Protocol to be sufficiently X-Com-like if you enjoy 1 vs many games. Not sure if it's still in print though.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Mork borg?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oh yeah that's fun

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Tarnop posted:

I found Level 7: Omega Protocol to be sufficiently X-Com-like if you enjoy 1 vs many games. Not sure if it's still in print though.

This game is real fuckin good imo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Everyone, please welcome new Trad Games moderator Antivehicular! She has kindly agreed to become a mod. Antivehicular's name should be familiar to many of you, she's been a TG regular for as long as I can remember.

I'm rather sorry to also announce that potatocubed has decided to step down as mod. I think potato has been a great moderator and I am sad to see him go; he's been a helpful and thoughtful partner, especially when it came to advising me when I was contemplating doing something stupid, and it's been a joy working with him.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Welcome and thank you for your service, respectively!

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Now I can go back to posting without responsibility.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've got my eye on you. That pristine rap sheet is an abomination. I'm just itching for an excuse.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Congratulations, Antivehicular!

Congratulations, potatocubed!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hello! I've got a lot of bad opinions, and now I have some buttons!

Safe travels, potatocubed. Looking forward to your flagrantly irresponsible freestyle posting.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I'd been on-and-off looking for this the past couple of days, so naturally I only find it after my buttons are removed:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

potatocubed posted:

It's the best, congrats on the mod retirement.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

potatocubed posted:

Finally, you can bring back grognards.txt.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ettin posted:

Love to fill the forum with second-hand posts of swastikas and QAnon conspiracies about insidious TTRPG books that have the word "lesbian" in them.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Congratulations/commiserations to Antivehicular and potatocubed. I'll leave it up to you to pick the sentiment that best fits

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ettin posted:

I thought we already had that? :confused:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

You got the wrong thread

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Well, actually...
:goonsay:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you Nickoten and Arivia for recommendations to my question earlier

Ettin posted:

Ah yes the "bring back LF" of Trad Games

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thank you Nickoten and Arivia for recommendations to my question earlier

Ah yes the "bring back LF" of Trad Games
Bring back LF, put grognards.txt in it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Guys you're never going to believe this, James Desborough or RPGPundit or Venger or one of those NuTSR guys sad a predictable lovely rambly stupid thing! Let's all post everything they ever said and pick it apart again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
The Industry thread performs the same function as grognards.txt used to, just with twitter arguments instead of forum posts.