Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Collapsing Farts posted:

Giants should just be the slower but way more tanky large unit imo. So giving them missile resist on top of their large healthpool is a good step. I sure do wish there were armored variants of giants though

We must keep faith that Hashut will provide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I hope they continue the RoR trend with ogres and just have each one be some ogre unit with the trappings of one of the other races. Really fits with the tabletop.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'd be totally cool with every ogre RoR just being maneaters following a different race fighting style.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

quote:

Mounts now automatically unlock for all mounted characters—no skill points necessary!

Oh, that's a nice change. I can't be the only player who only ever spent a single skill point per character on a mount - the best one - and ignored all the others.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Gort posted:

Oh, that's a nice change. I can't be the only player who only ever spent a single skill point per character on a mount - the best one - and ignored all the others.

Skipping a useful fast mount from levels 1-18 was always a minor letdown but muh efficiency and dude gets a dragon/dino/flying horse later.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'd be totally cool with every ogre RoR just being maneaters following a different race fighting style.

Seconded. Would rock

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ravenfood posted:

Iirc they also didnt really abandon 3k either; it got a typical amount of DLC from CA. It just didn't compare to WH2, which had an abnormally long tail for a TW game.

3K was an odd one, it argueably launched in a better state than it finished in which is unique among TWs afaik

but there were some obvious DLCs that never appeared, the most obvious being an actual three kingdoms start date, then stuff like xiongnu faction packs which i was personally really hyped for, its sort of weird to do this period of chinese history without including their major rival

the DLC they did add was wierd stuff like the princes start date that includes no major characters and isnt a period anyone is into, or an early starting date letting you play while the emperor is still active that completely destroys diplomacy since the game doesnt know how to handle everyone starting out allied and is even further removed from the "three kingdoms" era

the main issue was that there was still an expectation of more stuff to "complete" the game, and then CA cancelled it in an awkward way where they tried to pitch this is a good thing because we will all get to buy 3K 2 in a couple years

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 17, 2022

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Kanos posted:

It's a good patch with a lot of necessary changes and good QoL. "Lords/heroes automatically get their mounts instead of spending points on them" is such a no-brainer change that I'm honestly surprised it was never implemented before.

My only concern with this is what if I want to keep my heroes and lords without mounts so they can be on walls during siege battles?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

A mechanic where Ogres unlocked RoR's based on enemy units they fought would be good fun. Ironeaters who wear Ironbreaker shields as hats, the Lionheart-Eaters that use the Brettonian lances as short spears and wear the horse armor as pauldrons, etc

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

My only concern with this is what if I want to keep my heroes and lords without mounts so they can be on walls during siege battles?

You can change the mount in the hero inventory screen.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The mounts will unlock for free, you can unequip them as normal. This change fixes having multiple mounts and training players to save one point for their one mount of choice.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

You can unequip mounts like you can any other equipment can't you? You definitely could in 1 and 2 at least, just something you rarely needed to do.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
The announcement for 3K 2 was quiet vague, but it sounded like they've decided that warscape based total war can't simulate the period in the way they'd like too, so they're starting again from the ground up i.e the current game covers the early period of warlordism well but breaks down once you actually try to do the three large states going 1v1v1. There's also a lot of room for improvement in the role playing and character building aspects.

I wouldn't be surprised if 3K 2 does away with the campaign map as we know it and goes with something more xcom like.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Foul Fowl posted:

i think it's an interesting stat when you look at the state of the game, which is what we were talking about. not about whatever you're talking about. the company's bottom line doesn't have a big effect on how much i enjoy a game.

Not really, as its being framed as a "this is why the game is failing". Looking forward to when IE comes out and the numbers skyrocket again because you can now take Grimgor into the wastes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hellebron and Settra having equally good situational mounts was fun. I hoped they'd continue on that path.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Onmi posted:

According to Legend, from what he said with the developers the focus is on getting Immortal Empires out ASAP and in the best state possible and keeping the game supported in patches that are low effort impact (Not making tremendous changes) but can substantially improve things for players.

sounds like a good plan

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
giants would probably be more useful as some dedicated lower cost anti - single entity monster type of unit than having to compete directly against them in the same role

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It would be hard to position giants as anti single entity because most single entities you'd want them to kill are very fast and/or can fly and you can't really make a fast giant without it looking weird.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

what if the giant could jump, like, really far

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Foul Fowl posted:

sounds like a good plan

Yep. Give the people what they want, which is the same thing they’ve been saying they wanted since way before launch and also what they’ve been saying they want instead of what they got and also what they’ve been putting the game down, waiting for.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I'm surprised they don't just implement the one thing that always made giants somewhat iconic on the tabletop, and have them crush everything if they fall over on top of them when they die.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

ZeusJupitar posted:

The announcement for 3K 2 was quiet vague, but it sounded like they've decided that warscape based total war can't simulate the period in the way they'd like too, so they're starting again from the ground up i.e the current game covers the early period of warlordism well but breaks down once you actually try to do the three large states going 1v1v1. There's also a lot of room for improvement in the role playing and character building aspects.

I wouldn't be surprised if 3K 2 does away with the campaign map as we know it and goes with something more xcom like.

If they get the 3k launch team to successfully reimagine the TW formula I'd be totally down for that to be fair.

Just please... Do xiongnu this time, a cavalry based army in the 3k engine woulda been awesome/very OP

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Presumably you'd just unequip the mount like you can already.

E: beaten. Like a dead horse ha ha

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

dogstile posted:

Not really, as its being framed as a "this is why the game is failing". Looking forward to when IE comes out and the numbers skyrocket again because you can now take Grimgor into the wastes.

Look man, unless we take action now when they release the campaign for Warhammer 4 it's going to be absolute garbage

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Presumably you'd just unequip the mount like you can already.

E: beaten. Like a dead horse ha ha

Oh are the vampires getting mounts?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Wights already do.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Doomykins posted:

Skipping a useful fast mount from levels 1-18 was always a minor letdown but muh efficiency and dude gets a dragon/dino/flying horse later.

Am I really the only one here who just installs a mod that increases the skill point gain because I like my lords silly powerful?

Ideally I'd want a mod that only does this for the legendary characters (lords and heroes) and leaves the others to just gain regular skill points, forcing you to specialize only the regular characters, but I don't think such a mod exists.

On a different note, how do other players construct in their provinces?
I usually have one hub (pretty much always the starting location) with all the military production buildings, and just build economy and defense everywhere else. Always makes me feel bad about wasting local buildings that give a bonus to recruitment for certain units, but having to recruit from multiple locations just feels like such a hassle. When the map is very much painted I usually have more than one recruitment center.

I would actually prefer if in future titles they implemented a system like in Thrones of Britannia where recruitment does not depend on buildings at all.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
With the minor settlements it is all econ/defense and with major settlements there is enough space to go eco and grab a couple recruitment buildings.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

kanonvandekempen posted:

Am I really the only one here who just installs a mod that increases the skill point gain because I like my lords silly powerful?
no

kanonvandekempen posted:

On a different note, how do other players construct in their provinces?
I usually have one hub (pretty much always the starting location) with all the military production buildings, and just build economy and defense everywhere else. Always makes me feel bad about wasting local buildings that give a bonus to recruitment for certain units, but having to recruit from multiple locations just feels like such a hassle. When the map is very much painted I usually have more than one recruitment center.

I would actually prefer if in future titles they implemented a system like in Thrones of Britannia where recruitment does not depend on buildings at all.

I do similar, situationally building up a frontier recruiting center but honestly all my far flung far main cities are generally just full of whatever buildings provide agent increases so perhaps by design your outer empire (where your armies are operating)provides the high tier troops generally associated with buildings of that nature while your imperial core will transition from growth buildings to economy but speaking of growth that just shits the bed on the whole design because your outer empire is going to be like tier 3 until turn 70.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Kanos posted:

It would be hard to position giants as anti single entity because most single entities you'd want them to kill are very fast and/or can fly and you can't really make a fast giant without it looking weird.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Wouldn't want a Warhammer character to look weird

Meanwhile

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Agreed, I need to see ogres with tomb king style headdresses

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

loving elves man

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

This Ork needs to be unique character/legendary lord yesterday.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Oh wow a single RoR for each faction? This is gonna take awhile haha.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

tag yourselves, i'm the go-pro orc with the accordion

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Arghy posted:

Oh wow a single RoR for each faction? This is gonna take awhile haha.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Lt. Lizard posted:

This Ork needs to be unique character/legendary lord yesterday.

Big Boss Specdakkular is Orkish elegance, refined.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Putting RoC in maintenance mode in order to focus on IE is probably the right call, but I do wonder how much playerbase recovery they will deem a success/viable with IE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Midnightghoul posted:

Putting RoC in maintenance mode in order to focus on IE is probably the right call, but I do wonder how much playerbase recovery they will deem a success/viable with IE

The amount of players for W2 increased over time as Mortal Empires got cooler and cooler. A year with Immortal Empires released and everyone will forget about this launch.