Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

https://twitter.com/Garrrros/status/1523417129965424641

e: what a snipe fellas

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

I got Kim to wear THE JACKET
It has nothing to do with the skulls, you have to beat the game start to finish in hardcore mode, as in toggle hardcore mode ON in the options BEFORE you make a character and get into the game, then crack the case. If you do so, on your next run...

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/RiceInTheMech/status/1524126860531150848?t=DVu-Byt_VpIccSUwOrfm6w&s=19

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

wait wait wait, now i remember, it's the happy dockworker outside of mr evrart's office who resembles the description of a cryptid from his homeland, not the cunoesse. he even has a red cap, it's like a gnome thing.

or is it both of them? okay, i do need to replay, but, i guess what's probably going on here is that Harry was really into cryptids and sometimes certain people remind him of them. the cryptid stories were part of the soup of associations he used to get through life, as well as a dream of discovering something fully Outside of the social and personal nightmare he lived in, and The Cop can retain or rebuild some of these behaviors and associations.

and of course that is the real life the non-fantastical origin of cryptids, that they are cultural stories representing a struggle to grasp with certain types of people or phenomena, like medieval monks filling manuscript marginalia with one-legged or no-headed people rather than accept the violence their social role is predicated on (check out Baudolino by Umberto Eco, dear readers!)

i do wish the game had a jump button though

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Doc Hawkins posted:

wait wait wait, now i remember, it's the happy dockworker outside of mr evrart's office who resembles the description of a cryptid from his homeland, not the cunoesse. he even has a red cap, it's like a gnome thing.

or is it both of them? okay, i do need to replay, but, i guess what's probably going on here is that Harry was really into cryptids and sometimes certain people remind him of them. the cryptid stories were part of the soup of associations he used to get through life, as well as a dream of discovering something fully Outside of the social and personal nightmare he lived in, and The Cop can retain or rebuild some of these behaviors and associations.

and of course that is the real life the non-fantastical origin of cryptids, that they are cultural stories representing a struggle to grasp with certain types of people or phenomena, like medieval monks filling manuscript marginalia with one-legged or no-headed people rather than accept the violence their social role is predicated on (check out Baudolino by Umberto Eco, dear readers!)

i do wish the game had a jump button though

I already got lucky jumping once. I wouldn't dare risk it a second time.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Every time I play this game I find either something new, or something that recontextualizes something else in a major way. Like this loving line when you are in the church and ruminate on wearing all sports gear:

You'll never notice/remember it without having completed the game before, but then when you see it on a subsequent pass it's amazing.

Also I got my 5/5/1/1 character to start dancing (only possible on a boxcar roll). and got Kim to dance. But then I somehow ALSO passed the shivers roll and gently caress me rigid I was not expecting THAT. Like, it was pure staring slack-jawed at the screen on the same level as when I first saw the Phasmid.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/FloFluoro/status/1524513580493819904

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Too lazy to spin through a game and check, but is the lost badge/gun call different if you wait until Day 3 to do it (since not everyone is at the station?)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I wonder what happens if you don't radio in until you've found your badge and your fun.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
gun

gently caress

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

christmas boots posted:

I wonder what happens if you don't radio in until you've found your badge and your fun.

I imagine you just can't report them missing.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

sebzilla posted:

I imagine you just can't report them missing.

sounds good for a BORING COP run!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/Sykine_R/status/1524393618777473024?s=20&t=olVNaejJTTBDav-frJZ18g

I bought this so loving fast, BOOM

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

INLAND EMPIRE [Godly: Success] - What if instead of poo poo, asses produced flowers?

ELECTROCHEMISTRY [Challenging: Success] - What *kind* of flowers?

LOGIC [Heroic: Success] - Isn't that what already happens, actually?

PERCEPTION (SMELL) [Easy: Success] Please stop.

:c: ALSO :c:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Just finished the Tribunal today and yeah, the boxcars really ties it all together.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

why does kim have a boner

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
He's a cop about to shoot somebody

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Wafflecopper posted:

why does kim have a boner

He doesn't. He's just huge

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Problem
You're one sorry piece of poo poo. A cop penitent, a flagellant cop-monk. This is not the right line of work for you.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Hi thread, I need to restart my game tonight. On the advice of a friend, in day 4, I haven't gotten the jacket and nothing I do let's me retry the check, so it's stuck on the roof and I'm stuck outside the harbor.

I'm not really dragging the restart because after reading this thread I'll have some smarter stats and choices, but still :smith:

How is this still my favorite game?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Propaganda Machine posted:

Hi thread, I need to restart my game tonight. On the advice of a friend, in day 4, I haven't gotten the jacket and nothing I do let's me retry the check, so it's stuck on the roof and I'm stuck outside the harbor.

I'm not really dragging the restart because after reading this thread I'll have some smarter stats and choices, but still :smith:

How is this still my favorite game?

There are two main other ways into there, upon which you can walk around and pick up the thing you missed.

Option 1 : Spin-kick Measurehead in the face. If at first you fail, talk to people for advice, chug some vodka etc
Option 2 : Think about his race theory for a bit. It's embarrassing but not as bad as it seems, and you can spend a skill point to forget the thought later.

There are no smarter stats. Just different ways to be a different kind of mess.

That said, once you know where some things are, a restart can go much smoother. Getting Jamais Vu very quickly has some power, similarly Art Cop.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Thanks for the help, but I'm not finding any new dialog anywhere, and nothing I can do passes time or nets exp, going for that thought didn't occur to me until too late. I didn't even figure out how to use the thought system until day 3 :v:

And by better stats I mean tagging encyclopedia for round 1 probably wasn't the best move.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Volition and Encyclopedia are all you need.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

if you need a way to pass time, read case files or books

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Case files are about 30 minutes each, I'd say the Square Hole one is the easiest to skip through. The Dick Mullen book can be reread to advance time by about 2 or 3 hours.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I tagged encyclopedia for my first game and it went super well, not sure why you think it would be a bad thing. Its a great skill if youre the sort of person who enjoys learning irrelevant facts about the larger world, like I am!

How exactly did you get stick outside the harbour though, I don't understand the circumstances you mean. Have you already been in and left? Have you not been in at all? If you havent been in at all you just need to get measurehead to let you in by internalizing his race theory or make the jump, both of which you should have access to. If you've already been in, the door is unlocked and you can return whenever you want.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I haven't been in yet. I'll go back and look for that jump, though!

Books seemed like a good idea, but I can't find any I can afford with my 4 real. Are case files something different?

And encyclopedia is nice, I'm not knocking it. I just think it would be better suited to a subsequent playthrough when I have more context to make it interesting. Especially very early on it was a bit in one ear out the other, at least for me.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Books seemed like a good idea, but I can't find any I can afford with my 4 real. Are case files something different?

Yes. Have you recovered your ledger? They’re in that. If you haven’t found it, go have a look in the bin by the body

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I went with a low Encyclopedia stat myself but am fully intending to go full Sherlock Holmes next time and put tons of points in it, and in Logic, Visual Calculus, Perception and of course Electrochemistry.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I'm on my third playthrough and I only just found out that the Insulindian isola is at the center of the isolas, and Caillou/Revachol is at the center of it. So, lesson learned, you find out more when you aren't constantly trying to hide the extent of your problems from Kim.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
https://twitter.com/DEquokka000/status/1452297603324862464

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Wafflecopper posted:

Yes. Have you recovered your ledger? They’re in that. If you haven’t found it, go have a look in the bin by the body

Yes I had recovered it and this was an excellent time waster! I don't remember quite the sequence of events but the problem got solved and I've been mainlining the game all night. I've had a rapid series of back and forths between Klassje and the union guys with the gardener storming off and my journal is fresh and juicy so I'm going into day 6 excited with stuff to do and a sense of urgency.

I ended the night, both Harry's and mine, singing karaoke :unsmith:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Yes I had recovered it and this was an excellent time waster! I don't remember quite the sequence of events but the problem got solved and I've been mainlining the game all night.

Hooray! Glad you didn't have to restart.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

dead gay comedy forums posted:

so, one of the first post-DE RPGs got released - Citizen Sleeper was announced something like not too long after the original DE and it's part of its school so to speak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-q0g9LTQmY

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/citizen-sleeper-review

posting it here because its definitely 'discoelysian': neoliberalism sucks, dice rolls on dialogue options and general activities, communism, focus on humane characterization, lotsa text, banger soundtrack, etc

Just finished this and... it was alright I guess? The writing wasn't terrible but lacked DE's emotional weight, interesting characters, humour, and any social commentary beyond "giant corporations are exploitative." Not sure I'd class the soundtrack as a "banger" either, it was just sort of there, ambient and inoffensive. I may be wrong but I don't think choices you make during the game have much impact on the outcome, mostly it comes down to which ending you pick. Maybe you can rule some of them out if you don't help some people earlier but as far as I can tell that's it. I got 8 hours out of it, saw most of the endings by just reloading and picking a different path at the end. I don't see any reason to replay. If you're really into Disco's whole interactive novel thing and want more of the same even if it's not as good I'd recommend it, otherwise it's pretty missable.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 17, 2022

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Someone suggested Norco as another game with DE vibes. I binged it in a day. There’s a bit of mystery and dystopia, I’ll give you that, but it does embody some of the things DE specifically set out to avoid.

Like, the game-ified parts of it are easily some of the worst things I’ve ever come across. It’s just a stack of bad mini games. The rhythm-based ones are bad enough, but there’s one where you have to decipher some dumbass map so you can row a boat on a different map to turn on lamps to specific levels at specific spots , and none of this is integrated into the story whatsoever.

There’s something ironic about the worst parts of a game being its gameplay. The story and writing is otherwise quite charming. But it only reminded me further of how carefully DE made its design choices. Imagine the tribunal being decided by a rhythm minigame!

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Imagine the tribunal being decided by a rhythm minigame!

Sounds very disco to me.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Wafflecopper posted:

Just finished this and... it was alright I guess? The writing wasn't terrible but lacked DE's emotional weight, interesting characters, humour, and any social commentary beyond "giant corporations are exploitative." Not sure I'd class the soundtrack as a "banger" either, it was just sort of there, ambient and inoffensive. I may be wrong but I don't think choices you make during the game have much impact on the outcome, mostly it comes down to which ending you pick. Maybe you can rule some of them out if you don't help some people earlier but as far as I can tell that's it. I got 8 hours out of it, saw most of the endings by just reloading and picking a different path at the end. I don't see any reason to replay. If you're really into Disco's whole interactive novel thing and want more of the same even if it's not as good I'd recommend it, otherwise it's pretty missable.

Disco is just too good. Try nier automata if you want something as classy and cool and effortlessly brilliant

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I don't know if this was supposed to be evocative of Police Squad!, but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Kim is basically Frank Drebin but competent.

Like imagine this scene with Kim as Frank and Harry as the chief

https://youtu.be/o8_9gHzW8vo