Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
There is no Alt-Vision because Ultron 'worked' so there was no James Spader Ultron to build a vibranium body.

Alt-Wanda's kids have a different dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Given the dream/multiverse logic in the film, presumably Wanda created those kids after dreaming of them from the other reality.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I’m glad marvel helped get Sam Raimi out of director jail. They owed him after all.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MJeff posted:

I was so shocked that Bruce Campbell showed up in the movie itself because I was certain that they'd save him for the post-credits scene. Oh, Sam, you scamp.

It’s over! :v:

Saw the movie on Saturday. Good fun.

The post credits with Clea and the third eye was a bit odd considering his reaction during the last scene. Which gives me some “that’s not good” vibes considering she cuts a whole to the dark dimension and Strange is all “cool! Let’s go!”

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

AlternateNu posted:

It’s over! :v:

Saw the movie on Saturday. Good fun.

The post credits with Clea and the third eye was a bit odd considering his reaction during the last scene. Which gives me some “that’s not good” vibes considering she cuts a whole to the dark dimension and Strange is all “cool! Let’s go!”

Would you say he's acting kind of... strange?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I enjoyed this movie. I think it's easily the best of the relatively boring phase 4 slate.

The Raimisms really make it. The souls of the damned, the zombie Strange chekhov's gun, the eyeball getting yanked out of Gargantos. More weird poo poo please.

I continue to be ambivalent on the Multiverse because it leads to lazy fan service but the Illuminati bits were integrated better than I expected them to be.

Wanda was a great villain and I didn't mind some WandaVision retreading but I'd like to see more of a focus on Doctor Strange specific villains. Mordo and Dormammu feel completely unplanned for.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Shneak posted:

I'd like to see more of a focus on Doctor Strange specific villains. Mordo and Dormammu feel completely unplanned for.

The mid-credits scene is precisely setting this up.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't that eye tentacle guy Shuma-Gorath? That's a Dr Strange villain

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Rutibex posted:

It was "Not Shuma-Gorath" because they wanted to avoid potential legal issues with Conan the Barbarian's estate.

They basically just made Shuma-Gorath and called him something different, though.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
I liked the movie but missed the more zany reality-bending scenes from the first Doctor Strange. The fight scenes, similarly, were stagnant and not engrossing - I think many of the individual pieces in the fights were fun, but the dynamics and motion were just not imaginative like those in the first movie. As to what I liked, the exploration of Strange and Wanda's characters was good. The movie's themes of loss and acceptance were touching with lots of cute iconography sprinkled throughout. Also the "horror-lite" scenes were a bunch of fun, and I can never get enough Wong on a lonely evening. I'll put the film in the "good movie, maybe rewatch a couple times" bin.

Also, Jim got what he deserved. :colbert:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The crazy backwards time fight scene in the first Doctor Strange is still amazing and while some of the set pieces in MoM were very creative and crazy, none of them lived up to the time scene from the first one.

- Fighting in the street in regular time while cars fly backwards at them.

- Drowning the one lady by throwing her into the reforming aquarium as it reassembles itself.

- The blood flying back into a guy's head as his body slingshots back into the car, the windshield reassembles itself, and the reversing car runs over the guy.

- The guy pulling the glass out of his eye.

- Climbing up the falling down building by hanging on the reverse timed scaffolding that is rebuilding itself.

- The debris cloud from the city collapsing rolling backwards into the fight.

- Wong coming back to life, un-impaling himself, and rocketing out of the giant girder he had stuck through his chest.

- And entombing Mads with a reassembled subway station.

are all really creative and well-executed fight choreography that didn't really have an equivalent of that scale in MoM.

There's a lot of forgettable stuff in the first Doctor Strange, but the reverse time scene, the bending city, and the way they ended it without a final fight scene (and just a rapid montage of Strange dying brutal deaths) were spectacles on a crazy scale, while MoM spent a lot of its creativity on individual smaller scale wild scenes like the Illuminati and music fight scenes. I would have liked one huge set piece in the style of the first movie.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 17, 2022

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'd hesitate to say this movie felt like standard MCU at all, but I'd say the special effects and fight scenes felt more akin to the usual MCU stuff than it did the first Dr. Strange. Heck even the fight in Spiderman: No Way Home against Strange felt more like Dr. Strange than any of the ones here.

The only scene that sorta had that element was the first time America kicked open a portal and they fell through a half dozen dimensions of weird stuff.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Strange did Pizza Papa incredibly dirty. Guy was just trying to get paid for the pizza poppas they took! He didn’t deserve that

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

I liked the movie but missed the more zany reality-bending scenes from the first Doctor Strange. The fight scenes, similarly, were stagnant and not engrossing - I think many of the individual pieces in the fights were fun, but the dynamics and motion were just not imaginative like those in the first movie. As to what I liked, the exploration of Strange and Wanda's characters was good. The movie's themes of loss and acceptance were touching with lots of cute iconography sprinkled throughout. Also the "horror-lite" scenes were a bunch of fun, and I can never get enough Wong on a lonely evening. I'll put the film in the "good movie, maybe rewatch a couple times" bin.

Also, Jim got what he deserved. :colbert:

Do you like the first one more than the sequel overall?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Shageletic posted:

The second one was better in terms of acting and characterization which makes it better overall to me. The first felt like, "Oh, it's the Tony Stark story but with magic." Still honorable mention goes to "Dormammu, I've come bargain." where Strange just annoys Dormammu into surrender. If/when there's a third Strange movie I hope we finally get the synthesis of cool plot and characterization with the trippy visuals running through it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i really wanted to love the first Dr Strange movie, and it certainly has a lot of quality parts, but summed up there was something just really off about the whole movie that makes it weirdly unfun to watch

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I remember really liking the visuals of the first but the plot and character being kind of a snooze and I remember being very annoyed that of all things he could do in the MCU, Mads Mikkelsen was used on some Thor the Dark World rear end rando villain.

I've always really liked Cumberbatch as Strange, though. Ever since a lot of the heavy hitters left the series, he's kinda been my favorite part of the MCU.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The thing that felt really like a missed opportunity with the first Dr Strange is the first third of the movie where he becomes the best wizard in the world by reading a lot, when In most fantasy stories the part where the protagonist becomes empowered is the most exciting part. The initial trip when he gets astral plane punched is cool but it made wizard university look real fuckin dull.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rutibex posted:

ABSOLUTELY NOT! WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO, GET MARVEL SUED?

I mean, yes. But technically, no.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

massive spider posted:

The thing that felt really like a missed opportunity with the first Dr Strange is the first third of the movie where he becomes the best wizard in the world by reading a lot, when In most fantasy stories the part where the protagonist becomes empowered is the most exciting part. The initial trip when he gets astral plane punched is cool but it made wizard university look real fuckin dull.

Oh I actually really liked that aspect of the first movie. "What's that? I can become a great sorcerer by studying really hard? Motherfucker, I went to medical school. Studying IS my super power."

Like, I obviously wouldn't want that in every super hero movie, but it absolutely worked there.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 17, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It always felt weird to me that anyone can learn magic in the comics universe, but no one else bothers but the magic guys. Why wouldn't Tony Stark be interested in this whole other branch of physics he just happned to miss? Why isn't Batman a wizard?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Everyone posted:

The second one was better in terms of acting and characterization which makes it better overall to me. The first felt like, "Oh, it's the Tony Stark story but with magic." Still honorable mention goes to "Dormammu, I've come bargain." where Strange just annoys Dormammu into surrender. If/when there's a third Strange movie I hope we finally get the synthesis of cool plot and characterization with the trippy visuals running through it.

Yeah I'd agree there are some stellar thought out action pieces in the first one that would be cool to see again, or riff on. A synthesis of both would be great.

I guess I just never really rated Dr Strange as high as some of the other Marvel fare so I really like they seem to push things characterization wise instead of badly reskinned Iron Man origin story

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Rutibex posted:

It always felt weird to me that anyone can learn magic in the comics universe, but no one else bothers but the magic guys. Why wouldn't Tony Stark be interested in this whole other branch of physics he just happned to miss? Why isn't Batman a wizard?

You'd think Batman would jump at the chance to become a giant man-sized bat if it had no repercussions like Langstrom's formula

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Rutibex posted:

It usually seems like you have to have the right bloodline/point of view/midichlorian count/whatever to be a mage. In the comics, when considering who'll be the next Sorcerer Supreme, Strange considers who has the greatest potential -- not just talent, scholarship, or intelligence, but some sort of X factor.

Also, Dr. Doom mixes technical skill with magic and is considered world-class in both.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Rutibex posted:

Yeah, you'd think Batman especially would want to learn magic. Especially if Superman is apparently weak to magic. You know, just in case.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, you'd think Batman especially would want to learn magic. Especially if Superman is apparently weak to magic. You know, just in case.

"Hmm, I can make a mech with miniature red suns in the gauntlets to hurt Superman when I punch him or spend six months learning a spell to bind him in unholy chains....well I know what I'm picking!"

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I could buy that Batman has considered it but thinks he'll go down some bad paths if he learns magic.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MJeff posted:

I could buy that Batman has considered it but thinks he'll go down some bad paths if he learns magic.

Yeah, if he were to start studying magic he might start hanging out in dark, secluded places; become obsessed with symbology; carry weird paraphernalia; developing an unhealthy affection for the gothic; that sort of thing...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Admiralty Flag posted:

Also, Dr. Doom mixes technical skill with magic and is considered world-class in both.

Doom is probably the preeminent intellectual of the Marvel Universe. He might not be quite the scientist Reed Richards is but he's very close. He's an expert magician, only slightly behind Strange. And on top of that he's a statesman in a way that neither of them could be. He's the compleat Renaissance man, and the only things holding him back are his hubris and his resentment of Richards.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Admiralty Flag posted:

Yeah, if he were to start studying magic he might start hanging out in dark, secluded places; become obsessed with symbology; carry weird paraphernalia; developing an unhealthy affection for the gothic; that sort of thing...

Start getting fixated on black cats... :v:

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Shageletic posted:

Strange 2 makes up for its action shortcomings by having a better villain (sorry Mads) and not being a retread of the same old superhero origin movie plot. So... I would put the two movies on the same level. If I ignore the existence of all the other superhero origin movies I've seen, I might put Strange 1 on top but these films don't exist in a vacuum y'know. The cost of using the Superhero's Journey mad lib story structure is that it gets stale.

Blah blah superhero learns to sacrifice their personal wants for public duty blah blah. I think we've all seen that movie quite a few times by now. It's a fine story structure but it has needed a rest.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I would have liked one huge set piece in the style of the first movie.

Yup, I agree that at least one big setpiece would have improved the movie. I don't have any good thoughts for where to put it though. The movie is cluttered with ideas already and I think you'd need to start removing/merging material before you could add a good setpiece. Would it be too much to merge the Sinister Strange fight with the final battle for a more grand closing? Make it a crazy three- or four-sided battle.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love strange 1 but the visuals in MOM are way better simply because the best stuff was done with a camera shot instead of in post with CGI.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

I love strange 1 but the visuals in MOM are way better simply because the best stuff was done with a camera shot instead of in post with CGI.

Nice argument, but have you considered that I'm a sucker for mediocre CGI spectacle? :smuggo:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MJeff posted:

Start getting fixated on black cats... :v:

Yeah...hmmm. I've thought about it and Batman doesn't learn magic because he wants an excuse to hang out with Zatanna.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

Nice argument, but have you considered that I'm a sucker for mediocre CGI spectacle? :smuggo:

The only thing that matters in cinema is how many snap zooms, and Dutch angle dolly shots there are

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

CelticPredator posted:

The only thing that matters in cinema is how many snap zooms, and Dutch angle dolly shots there are

look if they don't dolly in and zoom out then I don't wanna see it

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Feels like Strange 2 could've had more of 1's wacky visual spectacle with the multiverse concept, but it really only did the one multiverse jump sequence. And that one sequence was great! That could've been longer and more involved and been that movie's version of the crazy astral plane sequence from Strange 1. :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
also, and it feels weird to say this about an MCU movie of all things, but i really think the first Strange movie should have had like, an entire extra 30 minutes up front where he plays Dr. House

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I liked Doctor Strange 1 and 2 in different ways, but honestly the magic-user I most want to see is Kathryn Hahn in Agatha: House of Harkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Oh whoops, I couldn't find the Strange thread so I put my dumbass kneejerk opinions in the general comic thread. Enjoy them here too:

Hazo posted:

Strange was fun but meandering. I wasn't a fan of the constantly changing plot/endgame and some of the effects (like the octopus fight) were really bad for a bazillion dollar comic movie in 2022.

Loved the cameos. But a lot of their deaths were pretty :stare: Nobody cares about Black Bolt but his head close-up exploding was a lot. So was Wanda unraveling Reed and popping his skull

America Chavez is cool, and I look forward to laughing at internet fuckboys who will assuredly melt the gently caress down at the Hispanic girl named America wearing a pride flag pin and raised by two moms.

Wong fuckin rules

I don't care about Christine

The way Chavez finally owned Wanda was heartwrenching and awesome

Stephen, please don't hit on the bride at her wedding. What the gently caress, dude.

Musical note battle seemed like a cool idea someone had but it got kind of shoved into one of the several Boss Fights in the film

And I guess we just kind of left Baron Mordo stuck in that shallow pit, despite the fact he was wearing the Vaulting Boots of Whoever while Strange casually metroided his way out?