Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Really hoping the invasion begins with one Covenant corvette that gets destroyed and the word goes out that S-052 sacrificed himself to destroy it. :gerty:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Given how little reference there's been, I expect the 4 Spartans we've seen to be the only ones in the show's entire universe.

For all the world building intent there's been little coverage of all the child kidnapping other than some bland destiny back story for MC.

Like, even just a throwaway line or scene showing hundreds of kids or something would have helped, but that's too much complexity for this show where nothing exists beyond 20 meters of whatever character is on the screen at any given minute.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
holy poo poo with the way gamer virgins were out with the pitchforks i figured the sex scene would actually be something but this isn't even close to a full penetration scene. there are more hardcore scenes on sesame street. grow up nerds

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Khanstant posted:

holy poo poo with the way gamer virgins were out with the pitchforks i figured the sex scene would actually be something but this isn't even close to a full penetration scene. there are more hardcore scenes on sesame street. grow up nerds

Yeah it's really drat pathetic.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
It should have been the Arbiter and Chief having the sex scene :argh:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Khanstant posted:

He should have worn the helmet.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Khanstant posted:

In fact when I ended up seeing it, I appreciate that the showrunners were actually trying to show how similar they were (their scars, the lives of indoctrination and abuse, etc). I thought it was tastefully done for a show of this quality. It could have been way worse.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

JazzFlight posted:

In fact when I ended up seeing it, I appreciate that the showrunners were actually trying to show how similar they were (their scars, the lives of indoctrination and abuse, etc). I thought it was tastefully done for a show of this quality. It could have been way worse.

I figured that was what they were doing with Chief and Makee from the start (and think that's good! There should probably be more Makees in the Covenant tbh), but it's very funny that the presentation made her change of heart last one scene

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Chief has a big Spartan dong and fucks Halo in the season finale

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Kin posted:

Given how little reference there's been, I expect the 4 Spartans we've seen to be the only ones in the show's entire universe.

For all the world building intent there's been little coverage of all the child kidnapping other than some bland destiny back story for MC.

Like, even just a throwaway line or scene showing hundreds of kids or something would have helped, but that's too much complexity for this show where nothing exists beyond 20 meters of whatever character is on the screen at any given minute.

The show wants to exist in a huge universe, it certainly has the budget to, and you can occasionally see bits of it in scenes like the one in the pilot where loads of soldiers run out to try and apprehend the Master Chief, or the aftermath of the big battle in episode 5. But that kind of thing should be happening all the time in the background. Instead we get occasional shots of a busy hallway where all the troops are always marching at the same speed in the same direction like they're an NPC from the late 90s. Halsey has a huge lab but only a single assistant. The captured Covenant ship is sitting in a huge empty hangar with nothing else going on. Everyone in the room is super sad to hear about a planet being glassed, and then they suddenly aren't any more and nobody else mentions it and it has no effect on the goings on anywhere else on base.

And then there's stuff like how we're supposed to believe that Kwan's father's revolution was viable, when it cost him all his family's money and was completely, and almost accidentally wiped out by a single Covenant squad who were then wiped out in turn by 4 Spartans.

I'm playing through the Halo games for the first time and important stuff happens offscreen all the time, sometimes even to named characters, but the games either show or tell you enough to figure out what happened.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Khanstant posted:

It's not about how hardcore it is, it's that it happened at all. It would be like the LotR movies had Frodo gently caress a Nazgul hobbit, it can be as tasteful and softcore as you like, why would you do that?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
try again with an example that doesn't kick so much rear end

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
don't act like you wouldn't play the game where you're a nazgul hobbit on your own lil evil flying bill

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

RandomReader posted:

It's not about how hardcore it is, it's that it happened at all. It would be like the LotR movies had Frodo gently caress a Nazgul hobbit, it can be as tasteful and softcore as you like, why would you do that?

Yup, exactly. Unless they have a plan for a long drawn out romance between the two (or my super Forerunner baby prediction), what did it add to story?

It's yet another plot point that should be a major thing with a lot of ramifications, but unless the above happens, it'll just be conveniently unaddressed, like so many other things, so that the bigger story beats can just move forward.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Should have given the required romance subplot for this show to Burn Gorman, imo. Or Kai, if it has to be a spartan. But it’s clear they’re very much taking John in a completely different direction than the games so whatever.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Halo nerds don't care about any of that though they're just mad their boy isn't an incel hero anymore

I'm glad I kept my master chief action figures he's so much cooler now

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

I'm going to eat another probe for disgusting LOTR erotica if this thread doesn't veer course

That said the last 2 seconds of this should have played when the filth started
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CZCGOZSzz4

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

angry video game fans confused by concept of two people feeling a connection and loving after having recently met

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Kin posted:

Yup, exactly. Unless they have a plan for a long drawn out romance between the two (or my super Forerunner baby prediction), what did it add to story?

It's yet another plot point that should be a major thing with a lot of ramifications, but unless the above happens, it'll just be conveniently unaddressed, like so many other things, so that the bigger story beats can just move forward.

It seems to me like they're going for tragedy where if things had just played out slightly differently she could have been saved and they may have worked together for the good of the universe. But she will go full villain mode, understandably so, and he will have to take out the one person he connected with more than anyone else.

Most of the show is a joke imo but I actually kinda liked this aspect and what they did with the parallels between their characters and being used as tools by their war efforts.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wheeee posted:

angry video game fans confused by concept of two people feeling a connection and loving after having recently met

They literally have john halo say "we've had the exact same experience of breaking out of conditioning" to explain to people who don't understand subtext what's going on

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

gigachad john halo 😡

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Thats not the kind of shooting I expected him to be doing

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I had to look up what happened cause I never made it passed episode two, but everyone I saw complaining about it didn't really have a reason they hated it. Just mad that chief was clapping covenant cheeks? Who is Human as far as I can tell.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kin posted:

It showed John connecting with someone, which he had never done before, which also moved Cortana enough to rebel against her creator and take the Chief's side. Because hey, guess what, Cortana was used as a tool just like John and Makee.

It's also giving more depth to Makee to show us that she isn't evil, and is making decisions based on her experiences with humans.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

It showed John connecting with someone, which he had never done before, which also moved Cortana enough to rebel against her creator and take the Chief's side. Because hey, guess what, Cortana was used as a tool just like John and Makee.

It's also giving more depth to Makee to show us that she isn't evil, and is making decisions based on her experiences with humans.

There's a hell of a lot going on in this show that is quite good for a video game adaptation and quite bad for 'holy poo poo you spent $200m on this?'

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

If that scene got people up in arms they should have just reshot Pablo's sex scene in American Gods and made them all lose their minds completely.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Alchenar posted:

There's a hell of a lot going on in this show that is quite good for a video game adaptation and quite bad for 'holy poo poo you spent $200m on this?'

this show is fuckin weird, it vacillates wildly between actually pretty good without qualification and stupid as poo poo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Outside of Madrigal I thought the show was pretty good all in all but the last episode kind of just went too dumb for me

It would've been redeemed if he had his helmet on while finishing the fight and also everyone was using those space vr headsets to watch. Have the Rock Anthem kick in for the hell of it. Just really lean into the goofiness of what's happening (I get the actual theme it's going for, but, lmao)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Kin posted:

They had that flashback scene where he was still in training and there was a massive line of beds, most of which were empty.

But, yeah, that's literally it.

My only gripe is why the Madrigal stuff has to exist at all. Okay, magic portal, sure.

But why does the magic portal have to exist? Change that and you get rid of the need for the girl.

I mean, I'm enjoying the scenes with the ex-Spartan. That guy's fun to watch. Just - what's the point?

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 18, 2022

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Wheeee posted:

this show is fuckin weird, it vacillates wildly between actually pretty good without qualification and stupid as poo poo

Yeah this is my read as well. Each episode or two has something interesting enough to keep me watching but there's so much wildly mediocre or outright bad content in between.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

My only gripe is why the Madrigal stuff has to exist at all. Okay, magic portal, sure.

I'm starting to feel like the Madrigal stuff exists because they overbudgeted the crap out of the opening battle and they wanted to squeeze every bit of money out the set and 3D-assets.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I do wonder how the very vocal and very angry members of the fanbase will affect this show going forward.

I feel like this show probably already has too many cooks, and if any of the development hell stories you hear about last Halo attempts it's a miracle that it's compelling at all.

Since most of the most feverish viritol out there is complaining about any efforts to make Master Chief an actual character, I'd rather they ignore it and keep going on the path they are.

The show seems constantly teetering on the edge of being sci fi schlock with predictable tropes to genuinely interesting television, and most of the time I'm finding it surprises me by going a much more interesting route than I expect.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I liked when MC tried to punch an armored up Spartan

John is big and dumb

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

MiddleOne posted:

I'm starting to feel like the Madrigal stuff exists because they overbudgeted the crap out of the opening battle and they wanted to squeeze every bit of money out the set and 3D-assets.

"How many times can we revisit this set?"

Yeah, sounds about right.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I liked when MC tried to punch an armored up Spartan

John is big and dumb

himbo John Halo?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Cortana fucks Chief, somehow, by the end of season 3

Toxx me on this

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Isometric Bacon posted:

I do wonder how the very vocal and very angry members of the fanbase will affect this show going forward.

I feel like this show probably already has too many cooks, and if any of the development hell stories you hear about last Halo attempts it's a miracle that it's compelling at all.

Since most of the most feverish viritol out there is complaining about any efforts to make Master Chief an actual character, I'd rather they ignore it and keep going on the path they are.

The show seems constantly teetering on the edge of being sci fi schlock with predictable tropes to genuinely interesting television, and most of the time I'm finding it surprises me by going a much more interesting route than I expect.

The S1 showrunners already bailed on the show before it premiered and the new guy is the dude from Fear The Walking Dead.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Megillah Gorilla posted:

"How many times can we revisit this set?"

Yeah, sounds about right.

They've gotten a LOT of mileage out of that concrete locker room

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

I reckon the fall of Reach will occur entirely in that locker room, the control room and the lab.

Oh and the large corridor that marines walk up and down ad infinitum

Despite me poking holes at the show, I have actually enjoyed much of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The S1 showrunners already bailed on the show before it premiered and the new guy is the dude from Fear The Walking Dead.

Well... That doesn't fill me with confidence.

Though I've never I've never watched FOTWD.