Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I really loved the majority of WandaVision, it's just that the actual finale is such a disappointment. Imagine if the ending battles in it were an actual reality warping brawl through television eras instead of standard boring Marvel battles between evil versions of the good guys. l

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Timeless Appeal posted:

I really loved the majority of WandaVision, it's just that the actual finale is such a disappointment. Imagine if the ending battles in it were an actual reality warping brawl through television eras instead of standard boring Marvel battles between evil versions of the good guys. l

Yeah I’m a fanboy of this poo poo and I loved that show but the last episode was the clearest example of “Marvel’s Third Act Problem” because it went from a post-modern recontextualization of House of M to two women clearly being casted around on wires shooting “spells” (colored lasers) at each other.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It was hilariously bad

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's a huge wet fart lmao

The only part I liked was the Vision fight ending in them deciding that's stupid and not doing it instead. Everyone else should have done that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I wonder how many of the Marvel fans who went gaga over Kathryn Hahn and talked "put her in everything!" actually bothered to check out anything else she's been in. Like, I find it really funny to imagine a fan of the sexless MCU deciding to watch Mrs. Fletcher.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

RBA Starblade posted:

It's a huge wet fart lmao

The only part I liked was the Vision fight ending in them deciding that's stupid and not doing it instead. Everyone else should have done that.

I was so excited when this happened because it was like, okay Vision was able to find the "outgunning yourself is idiotic sooo..." way out of that and they even describe fighting Wanda in those terms earlier in the series so we were like nice okay now Vision pulled that off how will Wanda like non-conflict her way out of this one.......oh

Like it wasn't just that it was the Marvel third act problem, they spent a lot of the show building up an expectation of the Marvel third act problem NOT being what will happen so it was like an extra layer of bullshit lol

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

I wonder how many of the Marvel fans who went gaga over Kathryn Hahn and talked "put her in everything!" actually bothered to check out anything else she's been in. Like, I find it really funny to imagine a fan of the sexless MCU deciding to watch Mrs. Fletcher.

I guarantee there are many people who would enjoy both the MCU and a sexy HBO comedy. Maybe even a majority of them. Because, surprise, they aren't cloistered nuns who are going to clutch their pearls and grow feint over the very thought of coitus.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Given the response to the sex scene in Eternals, I'm going to say a big chunk of them actually are.

Edit: to say nothing over the response to the sex scenes in the Netflix Marvel shows when they were put on Disney+, even after Disney added an entirely new adult-only setting to Disney+ solely because of them.

Chairman Capone fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 17, 2022

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Given the response to the sex scene in Eternals, I'm going to say a big chunk of them actually are.

There was a response to Eternals?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How quickly we all forget Kingo

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't even remember there being a sex scene in that movie and I watched it like three months ago.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

stev posted:

I don't even remember there being a sex scene in that movie and I watched it like three months ago.

It's brief and not particularly a stand out moment of the movie or anything like that. Even having seen the movie I don't think I'd remember it at all either except that when Eternals released there were some like "wow how brave Disney has invented a completely new concept called the sex scene the MCU revolutionizes cinema yet again" articles.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

Edit: to say nothing over the response to the sex scenes in the Netflix Marvel shows when they were put on Disney+, even after Disney added an entirely new adult-only setting to Disney+ solely because of them.

Not to mention how many pearls were clutched over the gore in MoM. Anything that isn't anodyne scares MCU fans

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

What? First off...

glitchwraith posted:

There was a response to Eternals?

Yeah, that. But also, as others are saying, the "sex scene" in Eternals barely qualifies as one. It's two people shirtless from the collar bones up, they slightly moan, and then I think they start talking about something? Whatever, it's nothing. So what response are you talking about? The only response I remember was people saying it was lame and basically nothing. Are you saying there were people who responded to it as if it was scandalous or something? Because I can't think of any other reason you'd reply to that post like that, and I definitely don't remember that happening.

I remember people laughing over it, because there was a lead up to it where they were saying there would finally be a sex scene, and then we got...that. Does that count?

Honestly, the first Iron Man where we saw the reporter Stark slept with the morning after was closer to a sex scene than the actual sex scene in Eternals.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 17, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The gore is so fun in MOM lol

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CelticPredator posted:

The gore is so fun in MOM lol

Agreed. The final battle is really quite something. Without getting into spoilers, since this isn't the Dr. Strange thread, my only real problem with the movie was that it wasn't Raimi enough. It was basically...

Marvel Movie
Marvel Movie
Marvel Movie
Marvel Movie
HOLY poo poo IT'S A RAIMI MOVIE
Marvel Movie
Marvel Movie
Marvel Movie
Marvel Movie
Marvel Movie
Marvel Movie

And that went on for the whole movie. The ratio tipped closer towards Raimi movie as it went on, to the point where the last 30 minutes are the best part. But it's clear they had him locked in chains in the corner for most of the movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Honestly for me, as someone who legit gets giddy when he does any camera thing, and who steals from
Him any chance I get lol it’s a lot more than that.

It’s not just the camera but the whole vibe of it. The film doesn’t relish in snark or quips and it has a full on Dr Strange to the rescue here I go scene played 100% straight which we NEVER see in the MCU outside of Spider-Man.

Like it’s obvious when reshoots took place due to the visuals getting duller but he had his touch in every scene.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, that. But also, as others are saying, the "sex scene" in Eternals barely qualifies as one. It's two people shirtless from the collar bones up, they slightly moan, and then I think they start talking about something? Whatever, it's nothing. So what response are you talking about? The only response I remember was people saying it was lame and basically nothing. Are you saying there were people who responded to it as if it was scandalous or something? Because I can't think of any other reason you'd reply to that post like that, and I definitely don't remember that happening.
There was some twitter dive articles of randos who had issues with sex being in a Marvel movie or PG-13 movie. Which is silly, but also most people who watch and enjoy Marvel movies are just normal rear end people who probably watch other movies with sex scenes and don’t remember there being a sex scene in Eternals.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

McCloud posted:

Not to mention how many pearls were clutched over the gore in MoM. Anything that isn't anodyne scares MCU fans

Just about every MCU fan I'm aware of loved the brutal deaths and Raimi touches. I'm not saying someone somewhere didn't get angry about that or sexual content in Eternals, because someone on the internet is always angry about everything, just not seeing how those weirdos are representative of anything but themselves.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Marvel Studios' Lead Production Attorney did an interview. Lots of random fluff/factoids, but also a lot of interesting legal info and behind the scenes stuff:

"Any changes in the legal status of Namor or the Hulk recently?"

quote:

Hey. This is a great question. Out of fear of getting sniped (j/k) I'm not sure I can discuss this.

"Was there legal drama behind the former Marvel TV division and Marvel Studios?"

quote:

There is always drama at any company, and Marvel had its fair share. I think at one point Marvel Television did not really fall under Kevin's purview and so there was more drama then because they would have to coordinate around which characters were going to be in TV and which were going to be in Film and what crossovers. At the end of the day, Marvel Studio's first priority was to be a movie studio.

"Hulk distribution rights. I have gone in details (link here) on why the evidence strongly suggests that the rights of first refusal for solo Hulk movies is returning to Marvel from Universal in June 2023, 15 years after the release of The Incredible Hulk movie. Worst case scenario would be June 2025, but it's very likely to be next year. Can you confirm or add any comment if the distribution rights to solo Hulk movies return to Marvel in 2023?"

quote:

I cannot comment on this!

"What do they do with NDAs or other legal measures to ensure no leaks?"

quote:

Marvel is very protective of confidentiality. It has been that way probably for 25 years (since the current leadership took over). They vet everyone and everything. Anyone coming to an office or getting a link to confidential information will have to sign an NDA. It's not just limited to talent. I remember when we would do premieres and screenings, everyone would have their phones collected before they could enter, although that might be more common now.

"Is there was anything kept from the public regarding top name actors who were in negotiations with Marvel Studios that ultimately fell through? One that comes to mind is Benedict Cumberbatch almost being cast as Malekith for Thor: The Dark World, which wasn’t public information until it was recently revealed by Benedict in an interview."

quote:

So there are lots of discussions and proposals exchanged between creative, casting, and the talent reps before the legal team gets involved. We only get looped in when a deal is getting close to gelling. Joaquin was one that was a huge bummer (for me personally) because I think he is a great actor and would have given us a very cool Dr. Strange. Not to say that Benedict isn't amazing. Another interesting tid bit was that RDJ was not the first choice for Tony Stark/Iron Man.

Current status of Spider-Man in the MCU?

quote:

Nothing official, but he is likely to remain. Spider-Man’s film rights are licensed to Sony who owns the stand-alone films. Marvel has creative control, though, at least for the near future. They collaborate which is better for continuity.

"What do you think it would take to get the movie rights to Spider-Man back from Sony?"

quote:

Billions and Billions of dollars. I have no actual idea if Sony has a price but it would be a lot.

"Can Sony use Spider-Man in their own movies in parallel of the MCU version? (If so, are they allowed to use Andrew Garfield their own version, or are they "forced" to use Tom ?)"

quote:

Currently, I believe Marvel has creative control over the SM movies although they collaborate with Sony. It’s better for the same actor to play SM for continuity, unless there is a re-boot.

"Internally, who did Marvel see as the top female character business wise? A lot of people say it's Scarlet Witch now, but Marvel's trying to expand the amount of female leads ASAP."

quote:

I think the plan initially (at least when I started at Marvel) was for Black Window to be the first female lead, part of that is because a lot of the other popular character families were off limits (with respect to film rights).

"Which contract negotiations would you say tend to be more difficult: striking deals with new creatives (e.g., hiring James Gunn for GotG 1), extending deals with current/past creatives (e.g., bringing Gunn back for GotG 2), coordinating between different companies making the same media (e.g., the Sony/Disney Spider-Man talks), or coordinating between divisions of the same company making different media (e.g., getting Clark Gregg for Captain Marvel while he was still filming AoS)."

quote:

In order (1) negotiating between two large companies, (2) negotiating deals with talent who have over-delivered on their first picture and now has a lot of leverage, (3) coordinating between divisions of a single company, and (4) deals with new unproven talent.

"How many people are "in the know" on huge reveals in movies? Is it really constricted or a big group of trust?"

quote:

I think it's just a small handful of people. Certainly when things are brewing or at the earliest stages its probably just the heads of the creative team and maybe finance, business affairs and marketing. Marvel is really good at protecting confidentiality. Need to know basis for sure and the circle of trust is small.

"Whats your hardest deal with an actor/actress/cast that you had hard time making agreements? And what was the easiest? Dont need to disclose names, but the story and any funny things that happened could be interesting to hear about."

quote:

Definitely the hardest set of talent deals I had to do were the actor deals for the Marvel/Netflix shows. Not necessarily because of the actors and actresses themselves, but because of the complexity and timing and the fact that both Marvel and Netflix had to be happy with everything and, more importantly, Marvel was a relatively unknown player in TV at the time and so we didn't have a ton of leverage. The easiest deals are the schedule F ones for entry level SAG actors.

"How is profitability/value to the company of streaming shows determined? For theatrical movies, Hollywood accounting aside, it's relatively easy to see if a movie was 'worth it,' ie it needs to earn roughly 2x its stated budget in order to be profitable. But that easy calculation goes out the window with streaming, where people don't pay per view. How are streaming shows determined to be profitable?"

quote:

This is the billion dollar question, we actually talk about it a lot on Better Call Paul because its not really a linear thing, sometimes it’s about subscriber growth other times it’s about elevating the brand. Much harder to see the direct impact of a streaming show on the bottom line.

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/urm49v/ama_im_paul_sarker_marvel_studios_former_lead/

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 17, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mordiceius posted:

I find myself in a weird place. I like individual superheroes or the idea of a superhero story. But I think I hate a lot of trappings of the genre. I hate the constant cinematic/comic universe filled with references and crossovers making everything feel like mandatory reading/watching, even if it actually isn’t. I hate superhero time travel and multiverse stuff because it is usually just used as a cheap way to bring back/replace a character that was killed off or something.

But I’m also a total hypocrite because over the last couple years, I got into Brandon Sanderson and committed myself to reading his entire collection of novels.

Nah, I'm with you and that same sort of thing is what gets me losing interest in the comics too.

Someone else pointed out how these things just come out too fast also and I agree there as well. The stakes weren't all that heavy to begin with (even though they were made out to be) and once you have time travel and alternate dimensions and poo poo they're practically non existent. I'm not sure when I finally got bored with the whole thing and lost any sense of urgency to see these things but I think it was around Black Panther, Iron Fist on Netflix or the first Dr. Strange so that's, what, 3 or 4 years ago?

Even when I was into comics, I preferred the stand alone books and arcs to the poo poo where everyone was a Skrull, fighting each other on another planet or coming back from the dead and the publishers just smashed toys together. A lot of writers talk about continuity being a creativity killer and one can kind of see why.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CelticPredator posted:

Honestly for me, as someone who legit gets giddy when he does any camera thing, and who steals from
Him any chance I get lol it’s a lot more than that.

It’s not just the camera but the whole vibe of it. The film doesn’t relish in snark or quips and it has a full on Dr Strange to the rescue here I go scene played 100% straight which we NEVER see in the MCU outside of Spider-Man.

Like it’s obvious when reshoots took place due to the visuals getting duller but he had his touch in every scene.

I guess I'm not being entirely fair. But, just as an example, when NOT-Shuma Gorath showed up at the beginning, and Strange and Wong are fighting it, and they have their whole exchange about bowing to the Sorcerer Supreme, it felt very quippy and Marvel-y, and not Raimi at all. As I said, as the movie went on, the ratio tipped the other way, but for the first half, it felt very Marvel movie with some occasional Raimi here and there.

The last 30 minutes or so are loving amazing, though.

edit: I don't know what you mean by, "Dr Strange to the rescue here I go scene played 100% straight", though. Like, I feel like you're referencing something I don't know, since Strange has rescued people before, so it can't be something that simple.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 17, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When strange sees the chaos at the beginning when he’s at the wedding, he downs his drink, and hops off the balcony to save the day while his theme blares like an old school Superman or spider-man bit.

It was so charming and classic in a way none of these films have done

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CelticPredator posted:

When strange sees the chaos at the beginning when he’s at the wedding, he downs his drink, and hops off the balcony to save the day while his theme blares like an old school Superman or spider-man bit.

It was so charming and classic in a way none of these films have done

That is a good point.

I need to see this movie again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptA5NVllutQ

This moment. It’s so classic superhero

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Something about the way New York looks in these scenes is very Raimi Spiderman. I can't put my finger on it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s bright and warm unlike every other time we’ve seen New York and it looks like a washed out drama.

Also pointed out by a really good YouTube video but during a lot of the action there’s nameless regular people running around in danger, which is something even the russos didn’t do much. It adds to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAqgQ2e1X0Q

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I haven't seen MoM but just looking at that scene on its own, yeah, that is Raimi as gently caress. It has a level of cheese to it that Marvel movies are usually terrified of. If it were anyone else Dr. Strange flying and his transformation would have been a lot 'cooler' but here it's cheese and fun in a way that I associate with Raimi. I don't doubt there's plenty of other Marvel Bits but I don't think you'd see that scene in a non-Raimi film the way it is.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I think part of the reason I don't like the marvel cinematic universe is that they had to build it without the x-men.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

I think part of the reason I don't like the marvel cinematic universe is that they had to build it without the x-men.

To be honest for all the problems I have with Marvel I'm kinda glad of that. X-Men are such a dominating presence that just having them kinda stifles a lot of room for other characters because you know they'd have solo movies for every X-Man under the sun before they'd so much as glance at GotG or Shang Chi or whoever. If they do bring them in at least it is at a point where other characters have been allowed to actually exist.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

stev posted:

It was a live action retelling of a ken and barbie doll sex scene - gorgeous people with zero emotion or on screen chemistry

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

It was a live action retelling of a ken and barbie doll sex scene - gorgeous people with zero emotion or on screen chemistry

I'd liken it more to two robots that have only vaguely inferred the concepts of love and intimacy, but, yeah, pretty much.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest for all the problems I have with Marvel I'm kinda glad of that. X-Men are such a dominating presence that just having them kinda stifles a lot of room for other characters because you know they'd have solo movies for every X-Man under the sun before they'd so much as glance at GotG or Shang Chi or whoever. If they do bring them in at least it is at a point where other characters have been allowed to actually exist.

Yeah, I love the X-Men but mutants are so big. There's basically a whole universe of mutants that feels numerically comparable to the rest-of-Marvel. There are like eight ongoing X-Books right now and there are still headline mutants who don't get as much pagetime as one might expect.

My little prediction has been that a universe populated solely by mutants will merge with the MCU as a result of MCU Secret Wars, since the Fox saga primed people to think of mutants as their own thing and since it lets them say "okay, so after Secret Wars, all the good historical mutants have always had their backstories in the MCU"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Comic book release schedules are one of the reasons why the industry is the bleached bones of a once mighty empire. It's about the most consumer-hostile business model you can possibly get. There's a reason all the kids read manga.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The famously chill manga release schedule.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

The famously chill manga release schedule.

The manga industry for the artists is hell, sure, but from a consumer perspective it's night and day compared to American comics. If you want to read Dragon Ball you just read Dragon Ball, you don't have to read nine different series which all tie in continuity to each other and deliberately pad out their page counts to drag out the arcs for as long as possible

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

No Dignity posted:

you don't have to read nine different series which all tie in continuity to each other and deliberately pad out their page counts to drag out the arcs for as long as possible

This is the most annoying thing about western comics to me, aside from the art sometimes being lol but I can't blame the artists for that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'd liken it more to two robots that have only vaguely inferred the concepts of love and intimacy, but, yeah, pretty much.

Spoilers! :cheeky:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

No Dignity posted:

The manga industry for the artists is hell, sure, but from a consumer perspective it's night and day compared to American comics. If you want to read Dragon Ball you just read Dragon Ball, you don't have to read nine different series which all tie in continuity to each other and deliberately pad out their page counts to drag out the arcs for as long as possible

I see this argument a lot and I think it's overblown. There's definitely bloat and confusion to superhero comics, but it's like Stan Lee once said. "Every comic is someone's first." You don't need to read numerous tie ins to pick up a copy of All Star Superman or The Dark Knight Returns. That's an advantage Western cape comics have, the fact that there have been decades (coming up on a century) of interpretations and creative teams. Everyone's got their favorite eras and runs. There's also tons of standalone books that don't rely on any continuity at all and usually catch you up to speed on the character's deal if you somehow don't know them by their public consciousness. And that's just superhero comics. There's tons of non-superhero comics that you can just go and pick up and easily read from start to finish without needing to do any research for.

Also come on. The Dragon Ball manga is breezy as hell compared to the anime but that's a pretty bad counterexample. Toriyama very famously padded out the pagecount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I see this argument a lot and I think it's overblown. There's definitely bloat and confusion to superhero comics, but it's like Stan Lee once said. "Every comic is someone's first." You don't need to read numerous tie ins to pick up a copy of All Star Superman or The Dark Knight Returns. That's an advantage Western cape comics have, the fact that there have been decades (coming up on a century) of interpretations and creative teams. Everyone's got their favorite eras and runs. There's also tons of standalone books that don't rely on any continuity at all and usually catch you up to speed on the character's deal if you somehow don't know them by their public consciousness. And that's just superhero comics. There's tons of non-superhero comics that you can just go and pick up and easily read from start to finish without needing to do any research for.

Also come on. The Dragon Ball manga is breezy as hell compared to the anime but that's a pretty bad counterexample. Toriyama very famously padded out the pagecount.

The conversation was around the main Marvel & DC continuities though, which do appear to be flailing for the aforementioned reasons? And Dragon Ball is a charmingly brisk read, you're the first person I've ever seen claim that the *manga* was padded