Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Seth! No!

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1526619752772378628

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

Where does the "Code is law" thing come from? From smartcontracts, I am guessing? Was there anyone in particular who coined it?

As a programmer myself, I never understood this conceit; QA cycles exist for a reason. I guess I am just a mediocre programmer that learned very early on in their education of the Therac-25 bug and internalized it.

The idea is that in order to have a truly "trustless" system, you need a sufficiently complex and rigid set of rules that every transaction must adhere to, enforced by code. And this code is held up as the one true law because things like "human judgment" influencing the outcome of transactions are seen as vectors for bad actors to exploit the system. If something goes wrong due to an oversight in the code, then tough luck, code is law. Just patch the oversight so it doesn't happen again! (they usually skip this step)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
gonna pay Tricia Helfer whatever she's charging on Cameo to give him poo poo for this

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/SethGreen/status/1526588358859759617?t=inWdue2DWfUFclmFcJNrTg&s=19

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Why in the gently caress would anyone buy any of those lovely drawings in the first place

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

"pricey" implies value

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Why in the gently caress would anyone buy any of those lovely drawings in the first place

Also why do they all look like portraits, is that the only art style you're allowed to do in NFTs?

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Celebrities are just as dumb as any of us. Dumber, if anything.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
NFTs

lol

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

lynch_69 posted:

It's hard to know which ones got roped and which ones were just payed an assload of (real) money to pretend that an ape jpeg is worth buying. That Paris Hilton / Jimmy Fallon conversation seemed like it fell into the latter category.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

lynch_69 posted:

the below video may cause brain damage. youve been warned.
https://twitter.com/AltcoinDailyio/status/1485841467767623681

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Chinatown posted:

"pricey" implies value

the real money that he wasted had some value, I mean we could be here all day talking about the value of objects, but anyway, it certainly had more value than some long stolen ape jpegs.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Chinatown posted:

"pricey" implies value
Don't forget reputational cost

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

alnilam posted:

Also why do they all look like portraits, is that the only art style you're allowed to do in NFTs?

the only functional use anyone has gotten from a NFT is making it their twitter avatar, which is probably why bored apes & cryptopunks took off in the first place

and the entire crypto industry has been full of clones and bandwagon-jumpers since nearly the start

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Serious_Cyclone posted:

It's hard to know which ones got roped and which ones were just payed an assload of (real) money to pretend that an ape jpeg is worth buying. That Paris Hilton / Jimmy Fallon conversation seemed like it fell into the latter category.

I imagine a lot of celebs and other rich people with more money than they can ever actually use just got into NFTs/Crypto because it seemed like a way to make easy money. I'm sure some want to feel like their smarter than everyone else and got suckered into this poo poo, but I'm guessing most don't give a poo poo.

Nothing about Seth Green's life changes because his dumb jpgs got stolen, it's just an investment that didn't work out.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Klyith posted:

the only functional use anyone has gotten from a NFT is making it their twitter avatar, which is probably why bored apes & cryptopunks took off in the first place

and the entire crypto industry has been full of clones and bandwagon-jumpers since nearly the start

I remember NFT Apes before they were cool.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Ouhei posted:

I imagine a lot of celebs and other rich people with more money than they can ever actually use just got into NFTs/Crypto because it seemed like a way to make easy money. I'm sure some want to feel like their smarter than everyone else and got suckered into this poo poo, but I'm guessing most don't give a poo poo.

Nothing about Seth Green's life changes because his dumb jpgs got stolen, it's just an investment that didn't work out.

That has to be the celeb making their own investment decision in that case, right? I mean, what self respecting investment strategist would tell someone to put the cost of 4 Lamborghinis into a procedurally generated thumbnail of a monkey smoking a blunt?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ouhei posted:

Nothing about Seth Green's life changes because his dumb receipts for links to jpgs got stolen, it's just an investment that didn't work out.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
muh apes!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Nobody's life changes because an ape gets stolen. If you didn't sell your lovely jpeg for 200,000 you were never going to sell it ever. You were just waiting for it to get stolen or reach $0. The damage was already done when you bought it not when it got stolen.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Forget it, Jake. It's Apetown.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Serious_Cyclone posted:

That has to be the celeb making their own investment decision in that case, right? I mean, what self respecting investment strategist would tell someone to put the cost of 4 Lamborghinis into a procedurally generated thumbnail of a monkey smoking a blunt?

I'd guess both? I think there's definitely financial people out there that got suckered into it, or at the very least sought to exploit it. There's also probably celebs that ask their financial person "hey I want to toss $X at NFTs, is that going to gently caress anything up?" and are told not really and so they do. I imagine crypto-bros have been absolutely hounding celebs to partake in their schemes to lend legitimacy to them too.

It's obviously insanely dumb and leads to people whose lives will absolutely be wrecked if their monkey receipt gets stolen "wElL i SaW sEtH gReEn HaD oNe".

Hah, yes I always forget to make this clarification, thank you.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ouhei posted:

I would imagine there has to be a huge overlap with how low-tier rich people (like, legit rich, just not motherfucking wealthy) "invest" in art and this crap. I got in touch with an old highschool friend recently who it turns out lives in NYC and works the lower end of the art world, and from the way she described it it basically sounded like grifting people who want the social cachet of being an "art collector" but have neither the money to buy all the really famous poo poo nor the knowledge about art or inclination to learn to actually make informed decisions. Just lots of trying to convince mid-tier celebrities and athletes that some piece of modern art is worth five figures because they're an up and coming genius who's poo poo will obviously be worth seven figures some day.

Every time I see someone like Seth Green with an ape that's what I go to now. One part chasing what someone hyped as a good investment, one part trying to be (seen as) a cool and knowledgeable person who is patronizing the latest types of art.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

Unlucky7 posted:

Where does the "Code is law" thing come from? From smartcontracts, I am guessing? Was there anyone in particular who coined it?

As a programmer myself, I never understood this conceit; QA cycles exist for a reason. I guess I am just a mediocre programmer that learned very early on in their education of the Therac-25 bug and internalized it.

Don't feel bad for not understanding, we can't all be big brain programmers writing lawful crypto code.

As everyone knows, as you get better and more experienced at programming, you can drop "junior level" stuff like checking inputs, error handling and automated testing. This is especially true when working in finance.

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!
Assuming that they've reported whatever ridiculous price they paid for an NFT on their taxes, could they use that value as a tax write off in the event the NFT was 'stolen'?

That's about the only way I could see getting any value for those things.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Captain Stalin posted:

Assuming that they've reported whatever ridiculous price they paid for an NFT on their taxes, could they use that value as a tax write off in the event the NFT was 'stolen'?

That's about the only way I could see getting any value for those things.

I think you would need ape insurance.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Salt Fish posted:

I think you would need ape insurance.

Oh god I googled it and it exists

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Oh god I googled it and it exists

Is it like term life insurance with a term of a week or something? You don't need a very long timeline for the risk of losing all your apes to approach 100%.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Poopy Palpy posted:

Is it like term life insurance with a term of a week or something? You don't need a very long timeline for the risk of losing all your apes to approach 100%.

I didn't get that far, but I sincerely hope that the NFT insurance is itself an NFT that also gets stolen

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

It's from an essay in 2000 by Lawrence Lessig, warning that software was a threat to actual laws and civil liberties.
https://www.harvardmagazine.com/2000/01/code-is-law-html

quote:

so obsessed are we with the idea that liberty means "freedom from government" that we don't even see the regulation in this new space. We therefore don't see the threat to liberty that this regulation presents.

This regulator is code--the software and hardware that make cyberspace as it is. This code, or architecture, sets the terms on which life in cyberspace is experienced. It determines how easy it is to protect privacy, or how easy it is to censor speech. It determines whether access to information is general or whether information is zoned. It affects who sees what, or what is monitored. In a host of ways that one cannot begin to see unless one begins to understand the nature of this code, the code of cyberspace regulates.

As usual, cyber-enthusiasts took the warning to be a celebration & guide.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

Stable coin? wtf is that? You know what you find in a stable? Lots of horse poo poo.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Mozi posted:

Forget it, Jake. It's Apetown.

:golfclap:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

JammyB posted:

Don't feel bad for not understanding, we can't all be big brain programmers writing lawful crypto code.

As everyone knows, as you get better and more experienced at programming, you can drop "junior level" stuff like checking inputs, error handling and automated testing. This is especially true when working in finance.

While we are at it, we should just use floating points for money. At the end of the day, it's just numbers, right? :smug:

I seriously do not believe that they would be THAT dumb, but I would bet a few dollars that there is at least one crypto thing that did exactly that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I remember reading something, it may have just been a detailed twitter thread, about how a lot of the celebs who are hawking NFTs are represented by the same talent agency group who is into it. They get gifted these "expensive" nfts and asked to hype it up to get the plebs to buy in. It sounded pretty scammy, so par for the course basically.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

While we are at it, we should just use floating points for money. At the end of the day, it's just numbers, right? :smug:

I seriously do not believe that they would be THAT dumb, but I would bet a few dollars that there is at least one crypto thing that did exactly that.

Yes, there were multiple exchanges that were that stupid.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/tier10k/status/1526613914619895808

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Can they dodge legal liability for quitting after poo poo hits the fan? As a party intended to lend a veneer of credibility to the company, can they be considered liable for rubber-stamping what is essentially securities fraud?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
terraform legal team

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

HolHorsejob posted:

Can they dodge legal liability for quitting after poo poo hits the fan? As a party intended to lend a veneer of credibility to the company, can they be considered liable for rubber-stamping what is essentially securities fraud?

The answer is "maybe"

You have to define whether this is a security or not and the SEC hasn't really figured that poo poo out yet. Could it be fraud? Maybe, no idea! But their lawyers could maybe make the argument that they didn't have to abide by the Securities Act because they weren't securities and thus didn't have to be registered as such. But if your entire legal team quits en masse that says to me there's some waaaaaaay more shady poo poo going on that they couldn't justify anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HolHorsejob posted:

Depends on what they knew, and when they knew it. Any lawyer worth a drat will purposefully keep a barrier between them and their employer as far as what they know about the day to day goings on with the business. Their job isn't to help run the company, their job is to handle legal problems that come up. As such they're better off NOT knowing the nitty gritty so that they can defend the company to the best of their abilities.

That said, if they become aware of things or if things become obvious enough that they can't claim ignorance, that's when you see them quitting. IIRC that's happened to Trump - both personally and his business - more than once. It's not even some kind of statement that they disagree with you or don't like you, it's just that they're no longer in a position where they can ethically (from a legal standpoint - legal ethics aren't exactly people ethics) represent you.