Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Lammasu posted:

Who in the Nine Hells is this guy?
An author who wrote a fairly popular young adult series of books named Red Rising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Less Fat Luke posted:

An author who wrote a fairly popular young adult series of books named Red Rising.

So he wants teenagers to buy NFTs?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Lammasu posted:

So he wants teenagers to buy NFTs?

Makes sense. The pre-teenager market is already cornered by Roblox.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

FishMcCool posted:

Makes sense. The pre-teenager market is already cornered by Roblox.

Please don't mention pre-teens in the crypto-adjacent thread. No real reason, I just like associating bitcoiners and pedos any chance I get. Because it's true. :bitcoin::aatrek::sickos:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Blockchain advocates failed to address developer concerns at GDC

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

Liu pitched a future full of DAOs (decentralized autonomous organizations) that act as a community framework around a game's development. If the game's primary developers decide to end live support for a game (or cease development before a game's launch), the game's blockchain-stored assets could be accessed by the DAO, which could continue development and shape the game in the way they want to play.

"End of life for a game will look more like handing it over to a DAO," she explained.

Okay, I'm sold. This way Star Citizen can continue on indefinitely.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
This just sounds like open source. But with a blockchain.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Somehow blockchain is going to be the reason that companies want to do this and all of the legal reasons they had in the past around software/asset licensing, losing trademark protection, damaging their intellectual property, etc are totally irrelevant in this cryptobro future. Any game company worth their salt is definitely going to want to hand off their product to a DAO who may use it to compete against whatever new properties the studio may come up with in the same space, like you know sequels and stuff.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Companies are going to be generous to people playing games that don’t make them new money. They won’t tell those people to piss off and buy the new game

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well, they could charge a subscription for access to the blockchain, I don't know how this works.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Clarste posted:

Well, they could charge a subscription for access to the blockchain, I don't know how this works.

Ship it! :trustme:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

cmdrk posted:

Somehow blockchain is going to be the reason that companies want to do this and all of the legal reasons they had in the past around software/asset licensing, losing trademark protection, damaging their intellectual property, etc are totally irrelevant in this cryptobro future. Any game company worth their salt is definitely going to want to hand off their product to a DAO who may use it to compete against whatever new properties the studio may come up with in the same space, like you know sequels and stuff.

It's funny because we even have a real life example of why a company would never, ever want to consent to something like this, though not directly in the video game sphere. Wizards of the Coast introduced a concept called the Open Gaming License which let anyone they wanted publish books compatible with Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 as long as they didn't utilize specific things(like certain monsters) that Wizards reserved for the brand itself. This ultimately led to Paizo creating Pathfinder as their own full D&D 3.5 spinoff/successor, which then took wings and found massive success when D&D 4th Edition was controversially received. Pathfinder is now probably the second biggest tabletop RPG in the business after D&D, and it only exists because of the OGL.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kanos posted:

It's funny because we even have a real life example of why a company would never, ever want to consent to something like this, though not directly in the video game sphere. Wizards of the Coast introduced a concept called the Open Gaming License which let anyone they wanted publish books compatible with Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 as long as they didn't utilize specific things(like certain monsters) that Wizards reserved for the brand itself. This ultimately led to Paizo creating Pathfinder as their own full D&D 3.5 spinoff/successor, which then took wings and found massive success when D&D 4th Edition was controversially received. Pathfinder is now probably the second biggest tabletop RPG in the business after D&D, and it only exists because of the OGL.

Speaking of which, D&D on the blockchain! With NFT player characters!

Have you ever wanted a +5 Vorpal Sword, but your DM is stingy with loot? Buy the NFT! Play your character into a level 20 paladin/mage munchkin? Sell them for profit!

This is exactly how tabletop games work, why are you looking at me like that?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah that one was universally scorned because it doesn’t understand how or why people in the market act how they do. And it created the worst job ever, person who watches role playing sessions to see if there are rules infractions so they can report them to a company.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Klyith posted:

Have you ever wanted a +5 Vorpal Sword, but your DM is stingy with loot? Buy the NFT! Play your character into a level 20 paladin/mage munchkin? Sell them for profit!

I love how this is a solution to a problem nobody had and creates several more problems in the process.

I guess that describes blockchain in general tho

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Arrrthritis posted:

I love how this is a solution to a problem nobody had and creates several more problems in the process.

I guess that describes blockchain in general tho

The only thing blockchain solves problems for is anarcho-capitalism and that because it's a non-viable political system.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Game that has failed to launch like four or five times already: https://massivelyop.com/2022/04/25/bless-unleashed-pc-is-becoming-a-blockchain-play-to-earn-mmorpg/

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Klyith posted:

My DM doesn't give us loot because he can't afford to buy the NFTs to hand out

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
https://kotaku.com/nft-market-collapse-square-enix-ubisoft-sega-konami-sca-1848878945

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

quote:

NFT’s have not even started to be a thing yet. This goes way beyond simple things like pictures, but i feel like you guys are probably getting paid to crap on NFT’s since I have not seen a single positive post or even one that explains what NFT’s can actually be used for

This white knight is sooooooo close to understanding, but falls just short...

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

This article absolutely goes for it, I’m glad that blogs figured out they don’t have to keep newspaper style objectivity.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Did we mention Human Park NFT MMO yet? It's a trash MMO where you can buy expensive NFT avatars that look like this:
https://opensea.io/collection/humanparkofficial

VHS Lab which is developing this trash just raised $20 million in Seires A funding. So at least it's only VCs getting scammed for now before it fully launches.

Would be funny to see all these MMOs finish their dev cycle in like 4 years and launch into a barren NFT landscape as everyone has moved on.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 5, 2022

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's so maddening because it's a climate-destroying scam and I wish people would stop buying into it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
https://twitter.com/Darryl_lazakar1/status/1526608004711297024

Be very curious to see if this is real because it would basically be the most he's done in front of the camera since the Red Ash implosion, he's just been producer and background for a while, and what a re-emergence for a dude who was going down as a grifter before.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

A future driven NFT, from a time when they’ve lost 99.5% of their value

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Man the dude who made Star Citizen really was ahead of his time.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Truly one of the great visionaries of our time.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Twelve by Pies posted:

Man the dude who made is still trying to make Star Citizen really was ahead of his time.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Man the dude who made is still trying to make is successfully perpetually making Star Citizen really was ahead of his time.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So much for the benefit of the doubt https://twitter.com/PF_Marketplace/status/1527254391165960192

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Con man moving (late) to the next con.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The people he's teaming up with have a different game in development already. In that game they have a cryptocurrency, character NFTs, weapon NFTs, land NFTs, and lootboxes. They've announced a VO actress, a soundtrack composer, and hired a cosplay model.

The game so far:
https://twitter.com/PolkaFantasy/status/1518545358518849542

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Klyith posted:

The people he's teaming up with have a different game in development already. In that game they have a cryptocurrency, character NFTs, weapon NFTs, land NFTs, and lootboxes. They've announced a VO actress, a soundtrack composer, and hired a cosplay model.

The game so far:
https://twitter.com/PolkaFantasy/status/1518545358518849542

So basically, how many ways of fleecing our player can we include, the game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
A pox on these monkeys!

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
This is kind of like a guy trying to sell soda on the Titanic after the iceberg hit.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

No shocker here.

https://twitter.com/GameStopNFT/status/1527303196422508546

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

lmao gamestop is gonna take all the money they got from issuing new stock to their ape army of cult investors and dumpster it on crypto-scams and NFT grants

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
What the gently caress does Web3 even mean? I don't think I've heard anyone define it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Web 3 is the commodification of all interactions so the companies can profit of everything you do instead of just 95%. Anything else is just the details they haven't quite worked out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So I looked it up and it's literally just blockchain. I constantly see these cryptobros talking about how companies are adapting blockchain for data storage or something but I can never find any examples.