Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Can't help but notice that basic summary of the Jailer is exactly the same as a basic summary of Sargeras, but bigger I guess. Man, that really is hacky writing.

Arcane being placed opposite to Fel is odd too, since WC3 through half of WoW was big on presenting arcane magic as just demon juice with good PR. I guess their justification with the caveat that everything is hilariously corruptible checks out though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I like that the plane of The Wild Gods is popped right in next to the plane of Order, very tidy.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

God, the void lords are so loving lame. The Burning Legion were the big bads for the longest time and basically everybody presumed that Sargeras was going to be WoW's final boss. And the titans were the creators of the universe and the top of the power scale but poo poo, we gotta pad out WoW's story a bit more so more expansions can happen. Let's think of a new group of baddies...uhhhh THE VOID LORDS. Oh they are so spooky and mysterious.

Who are they? They're LORDS. From THE VOID. And they are big and bad, they are the worst thing ever! The titans are scared of them because they're so mysterious and spooky!

Like the Old Gods were cool. They didn't need to have a super secret shadow ruler who is mega powerful (and spooky!) calling the shots for them. The whole Shadowlands lore is incredibly lame too. Was anyone interested in the specifics of Warcraft's afterlife? At all? It was basically an excuse to have players run into old characters again (just like in Warlords of Draenor) so they can point and go "Wow it's that guy! I remember him!"

SoundwaveAU fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 17, 2022

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Phrosphor posted:

(Am I missing any others? It feels awful that I can't think of any BIG female characters up to WoTLK apart from these too? The Evil Tauren lady I guess?)

Tyrande, kind of, with the caveat that she didn't actually do much of anything until Legion, and even then we all kind of wish she hadn't.

The dearth of female characters in Warcraft, much less competent ones who don't get corrupted, is a big part of why I created Isidora and company for this LP. The original artwork I found online and used for Isidora, for reference:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

SoundwaveAU posted:

It was basically an excuse to have players run into old characters again (just like in Warlords of Draenor) so they can point and go "Wow it's that guy! I remember him!"
Maybe that was the reason but then they only did this to an oddly small degree - there were a few recurring characters but most of the storyline drivers were either the kidnapped characters from the living world (Sylvanas, the former faction leaders) OR new characters created for Shadowlands (Jailer).

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

SoundwaveAU posted:

God, the void lords are so loving lame. The Burning Legion were the big bads for the longest time and basically everybody presumed that Sargeras was going to be WoW's final boss. And the titans were the creators of the universe and the top of the power scale but poo poo, we gotta pad out WoW's story a bit more so more expansions can happen. Let's think of a new group of baddies...uhhhh THE VOID LORDS. Oh they are so spooky and mysterious.

Who are they? They're LORDS. From THE VOID. And they are big and bad, they are the worst thing ever! The titans are scared of them because they're so mysterious and spooky!

Like the Old Gods were cool. They didn't need to have a super secret shadow ruler who is mega powerful (and spooky!) calling the shots for them. The whole Shadowlands lore is incredibly lame too. Was anyone interested in the specifics of Warcraft's afterlife? At all? It was basically an excuse to have players run into old characters again (just like in Warlords of Draenor) so they can point and go "Wow it's that guy! I remember him!"

Void Lords have been around as a concept for quite a long while in WoW, they are just very very distant, like with the old gods they aren't even direct bombing with them, those just get kinda... yeeted out into empty space in the hopes they hit a planet, and then hopefully a planet with a world soul to corrupt.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
It sounds like void is just entropy, imo

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Cythereal posted:

Maldraxxus is Valhalla, if Valhalla was run like a big time wrestling league. The souls of those who loved war and battle, be it for selfish or selfless reasons, are brought here to become the standing army of the Shadowlands and the realm's primary defense against invasion. One notable denizen: Kel’thuzad.

How the gently caress does Kel'thuzad not end up in the punishment zone?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BisbyWorl posted:

How the gently caress does Kel'thuzad not end up in the punishment zone?

Because the guy running the punishment zone is in league with the Jailer and let Kel'thuzad out early (he was indeed initially assigned to the punishment zone) in exchange for becoming a double agent for the Jailer in wherever he ended up.

The other character folks might recall from the RTS games who ended up there legit is Lady Vashj.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
The cosmology was established well after the first game. Instead of "The Light" humans' religion in this game was very much Fantasy Catholicism. In addition to the crosses on their churches, the manual description of at least one cleric spell name-drops Capital-G God.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

What, they didn't put Grom Hellscream in the Afterlife For Kicking rear end?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's all so stupid and terrible my brain is actively rejecting and trying to deny that it exists. :cripes:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tenebrais posted:

What, they didn't put Grom Hellscream in the Afterlife For Kicking rear end?

He's a complete no-show in the afterlife expansion. He did turn up in the beta of a previous expansion as a totally not einherjar hanging out in not-Valhalla (not to be confused with Shadowlands' not-Valhalla, I'll discuss this at some point in the future) with, among others, Cairne Bloodhoof, Daelin Proudmoore, Llane Wrynn, and Anduin Lothar, before that aspect of that expansion was cut.

Frankly, most characters are now-shows in the afterlife - the list of dead characters from the RTS games who turn up in the afterlife expansion is remarkably small.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Cythereal posted:

Frankly, most characters are now-shows in the afterlife - the list of dead characters from the RTS games who turn up in the afterlife expansion is remarkably small.

This honestly sounds preferable to a constant parade of 'Hey Remember This Guy!'

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Cythereal posted:

There is Nothing Funny About the Name 'Twisting Nether'

Show of hands, who wants to see Warcraft attempt to do Planescape?

That's what I thought. Unfortunately, here we are.

poo poo, you weren't kidding. Even setting aside the elemental planes, a bunch of those afterlives just felt like I was reading a summary of a Planescape Outer Plane.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Rarity posted:

This honestly sounds preferable to a constant parade of 'Hey Remember This Guy!'
It do, however, turn the entire premise of the expansion even more toothless though?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tenebrais posted:

Can't help but notice that basic summary of the Jailer is exactly the same as a basic summary of Sargeras, but bigger I guess. Man, that really is hacky writing.

The Jailer is smaller actually. Sargeras was also someone players had no chance against and could not be fought directly. The Jailer was just killed normally in a raid.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Basically, any conversation about the later lore will eventually hit the wall that is "Shadowlands was atrociously written even for the standards Blizzard had already established, and retconned goddamn near everything that occurred before it while insisting it totally didn't."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A related question, on the note of lore.

For the narrative I'm attaching to the human campaign, I'm considering introducing another character, who is canon but extremely minor (as in: a character introduced in the movie and subsequently confirmed by Chronicles 2 as canon, who has zero characterization beyond who they're related to).

Would anyone object if I started writing this character in the human campaign, or would folks prefer I keep the human campaign in this LP purely not touching on canon in any fashion?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
As the guy who first mentioned the movie, go right ahead. You can't do any worse than Blizzard!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I expect only the strictest of canon in my mocking comedy LPs :colbert:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Eh, put them in.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Minor note about Bastion: One factor that is taken into account is whether or not the soul would benefit or be hindered by the loss of/giving up their memories.

There is one particular character who goes to Maldraxxus, but is given the opportunity to visit Bastion, and wants to know why he was sent to Maldraxxus instead, and it's revealed that one of the biggest reasons is that his memories are not a burden, but one of his greatest sources of strength.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

If they didn't due in the movie only to be brought back and left standing around somewhere handing out quests would it really be true to the source material?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Cythereal posted:

Would anyone object if I started writing this character in the human campaign, or would folks prefer I keep the human campaign in this LP purely not touching on canon in any fashion?

How dare you violate the deep Warcraft lore that we're all extremely serious about.

lol

go hog wild, give her Sargeras for a drinking buddy if that's what'll make for funny/interesting writing.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
This game barely even has lore this early on, do whatever you want imo.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Which afterlife do you go to if you just want to sit around and chill?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Rarity posted:

Which afterlife do you go to if you just want to sit around and chill?

One of the countless ones we didn't visit because they weren't important to what was going on, I'd imagine.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
No matter how convoluted and awful it is here, I admit I am a sucker for fantasy planar maps.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BlazetheInferno posted:

One of the countless ones we didn't visit because they weren't important to what was going on, I'd imagine.

Probably so, yeah. Draka (Thrall's mom) talks about how she can hop over to visit her husband in his afterlife anytime she wants, but right now she's happy to be hanging out in death metal Valhalla.

Also, may as well note now: except in extraordinary cases, religious faith in Warcraft has nothing to do with what afterlife you end up in. Light-worshipers, shamans, druids, Void worshipers, and more all get sent wherever the Arbiter decides.

It is consistently shown to take truly extreme circumstances for a soul to be directly sent to another realm instead of the Shadowlands on death.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 17, 2022

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Cythereal posted:

Tyrande, kind of, with the caveat that she didn't actually do much of anything until Legion, and even then we all kind of wish she hadn't.

The dearth of female characters in Warcraft, much less competent ones who don't get corrupted, is a big part of why I created Isidora and company for this LP. The original artwork I found online and used for Isidora, for reference:

Oh drat! How could I forget Tyrande. She was so amazing in Warcraft 3.

It's a sorry sight when we are scraping together everyone we can of and have 4 solid examples.

Cythereal posted:

He's a complete no-show in the afterlife expansion. He did turn up in the beta of a previous expansion as a totally not einherjar hanging out in not-Valhalla (not to be confused with Shadowlands' not-Valhalla, I'll discuss this at some point in the future) with, among others, Cairne Bloodhoof, Daelin Proudmoore, Llane Wrynn, and Anduin Lothar, before that aspect of that expansion was cut.

You beat me to it, and I am glad you are going to discuss this later because this was one of my last interactions with the lore of this universe and I couldn't work out how it fit in with Shadowlands. You mean my warrior was in Fauxhalla? I will wait patiently till it comes up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Phrosphor posted:

It's a sorry sight when we are scraping together everyone we can of and have 4 solid examples.

Warlords of Draenor had a great new Alliance character! Joan of Arc with hooves is a fine character arc!

Please ignore that in alpha for that expansion she was a sex slave gang-raped explicitly for the purpose of having a half-breed child.

And that in beta she was instead just the wife of an important-at-the-time male character.

And that two expansions later they turned her into Holy Hitler out to convert or kill everyone in existence.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Now that's the good stuff, put it in an IV and shove it in my veins.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Cythereal posted:

Warlords of Draenor had a great new Alliance character! Joan of Arc with hooves is a fine character arc!

Please ignore that in alpha for that expansion she was a sex slave gang-raped explicitly for the purpose of having a half-breed child.

And that in beta she was instead just the wife of an important-at-the-time male character.

And that two expansions later they turned her into Holy Hitler out to convert or kill everyone in existence.

... what

You're just coitusing with us now, aren't you.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

painedforever posted:

... what

No no, that is really what they did.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

painedforever posted:

... what

Don't I loving wish. :(

At any rate, I really need to figure out a better way to record things. Recording Human 3 is going no better than Orc 3.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

According to the Tao of Programming, the second purest way to beat a game is to mod and cheat your rear end off, know no shame, because it's, well, consider what your own thread is for.

(Also we'll live with the second screenshot format, it's just wc1, it'd be like asking for pristine dune 2 screenshots.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SIGSEGV posted:

According to the Tao of Programming, the second purest way to beat a game is to mod and cheat your rear end off, know no shame, because it's, well, consider what your own thread is for.

(Also we'll live with the second screenshot format, it's just wc1, it'd be like asking for pristine dune 2 screenshots.)

Well, what you get will be sewn together from three separate attempts. First legit. Second... accelerated. Third, gently caress it.

This was more than enough to deal with the town, and I had a second cleric on the way.

AtomikKrab posted:

No no, that is really what they did.

For those unaware of the character I was talking about, I'll talk a little about her when I discuss the draenei in earnest.

Oh, and yes indeed, from the description of the human cleric spell Far Sight:

quote:

This spell allows the caster to see in an all encompassing fashion, as God does. His vision extends to all corners of the land, and his view is omnipotent.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 18, 2022

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
So, I don't know if the GOG version has it, but the OG version of WarCraft I had on my 386 (yeah, loving ancient times just to let you know how old the franchise really is) came with a config program for viewing and editing the values of all the units and buildings, from cost and build time to range, damage, armor, the works. There was CONFIG.WAR and PREFS.WAR.

It's become apparent now that the armies aren't perfect mirrors of one another. Humans have access to healing magic and their ranged units tend to have a box more of range, while the Orc units hit harder but have slightly less range and they focus more on overwhelming numbers and power. There's a handful of units that haven't yet shown up in the game, but you'll definitely see the design philosophy between the two armies at play when you get there.

If the GOG also has the config file (which opened in DOS in the olden days, as did everything else), you should check it out.

From what I can see on a cursory Google search, WAR_EDIT.exe might be the file on the GOG version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nagna Zul
Aug 9, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I hate to ask, but...again, which character is this?