Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Oh yeah, right, of course he doesn't have it as Gene because it's still in his house that's getting cleaned out. My bad.

Terrible snipe, my bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I like that Howard's just spent the last six seasons growing as a person.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Afaik, in the book, Saul will get contacts for:

- James Kilkenny, the guy who goes to jail for others.
- Kuby
- Possibly Lawson
- Ed Galbraith

Likely others I'm not thinking of. Any ideas for others?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Howard Hamlin is going to be the blood sacrifice for Rhea's Emmy.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

danny from laser tag, maybe. probably the Vamos pest guys too, though I could also easily see one of them being a client.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

- Kuby
- Possibly Lawson
- Ed Galbraith

Maybe the guy who hacks computers to do the money laundering for Jrs website?

E: I don’t mind the plot point but it does seem a bit of a convenient cheat, it’s like they expected Saul to be this guy who just knew all sorts of people through his dealings and realised they hadn’t quite got him to that level yet so instead he just finds a book that gets him the rest of the way.

Annabel Pee fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 17, 2022

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
I think it's kind of interesting that Jimmy and Kim were granted such a ridiculous coincidence as to run into their judge to tip them off to his cast. One of the pieces of writing wisdom you'll hear Vince repeat a lot is that a coincidence should ultimately never help the protagonist, it should only be unlucky. To be honest without knowing anything else it seems a bit sloppy for Jimmy to just run into the guy at a random place in the ABQ, maybe if he was scoping out the guy's stomping grounds or something.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, Dr. Caldera showed up in season 1 as the Underworld Connections guy. Whenever Saul knew a guy who knew a guy, I always assumed Caldera was the former, all the book does is take out the middle man.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I didn't find it super believable that Kim would turn down her dream job just to gently caress over Howard......

yeah :(

I have faith they can pull it off but I'm not really thrilled with how this whole scheme thing is playing out. We were scratching our heads trying to remember what Howard did to make Kim in particular hate him so much that she'd piss away a literally once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I guess this was supposed to be her point of no return moment but it didn't feel true to her character.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

lurker2006 posted:

I think it's kind of interesting that Jimmy and Kim were granted such a ridiculous coincidence as to run into their judge to tip them off to his cast. One of the pieces of writing wisdom you'll hear Vince repeat a lot is that a coincidence should ultimately never help the protagonist, it should only be unlucky. To be honest without knowing anything else it seems a bit sloppy for Jimmy to just run into the guy at a random place in the ABQ, maybe if he was scoping out the guy's stomping grounds or something.

Great point, but maybe we shouldn't think of saving the scheme as "ultimately" helping the protagonists. The scheme is obviously going to ruin Kim's life and her relationship with Jimmy, maybe it would be better for them both if it fell flat with the bogus castless photos.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

danny from laser tag, maybe. probably the Vamos pest guys too, though I could also easily see one of them being a client.

Saul already knows the Vamanos guy, he helped him steal the doll thing

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

lurker2006 posted:

only would’ve helped if they bailed like Jimmy said. Almost certainly their fix is going to make things worse lol

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Last Chance posted:

I have a feeling some folks mix up Ira and Lawson

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Just watched it and the tension and sense of imminent DOOM was so strong I almost felt like throwing up. The ending had me screaming at her to leave it and carry on to her meeting with Cliff. I’m not sure I even want to watch next week’s now, I dread to think how horribly this will backfire for Kim. And even if it somehow doesn’t, it’s going to destroy a guy who, while a bit of a jerk, really doesn’t deserve it. Man, I felt so bad at seeing this glimpse into Howard’s home life.

Also, props to the girl playing Young Kim, it was obvious who she was playing the second we see that shaking leg shot. Was kinda thrown by her mom talking like Rhea while looking like Clare Danes tho.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

Danny from Laser Tag is definitely, without a doubt, Daniel "Pryce" Wormald

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Last Chance posted:

oh yeah, forgot that was him. well hey, still came from the book lol

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Civilized Fishbot posted:

lmao if he used his pill money to open a laser tag rink. yeah, i can see that

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Civilized Fishbot posted:

:eyepop: kind of seems pretty likely tbh & he'd be more than willing to do some criminal activities and let someone launder money through the place.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

unlimited shrimp posted:

yeah :(

I have faith they can pull it off but I'm not really thrilled with how this whole scheme thing is playing out. We were scratching our heads trying to remember what Howard did to make Kim in particular hate him so much that she'd piss away a literally once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I guess this was supposed to be her point of no return moment but it didn't feel true to her character.
Yeah, while the show provides several motives for Kim I really don't really feel like any of them are established strongly enough for how extreme the scam apparently will end up being, it lacks that inciting incident. Sure howard was a dick, sure she has fun doing scams with Jimmy, sure HHM is kind pushing the boundaries with the sandpiper residents' timetable, but none of those seem all that compelling at least in how they've been executed.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 17, 2022

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, this has been picked up on ever since Kim mentioned where she was from seasons ago.

Also, the one interesting thing about the Gene/Kim/Nebraska thing is that when Ed tells or shows him he'll be going there, Saul asks "What's in Nebraska?".

I bet that's a line the writers wish they could fully retcon.

I just gave this scene a rewatch. Saul doesn't choose Nebraska, Ed does. Saul reflexively asks what's in Nebraska, Ed says "you, from now on" and then Saul puts on a somewhat troubled/ponderous look on his face. So in retrospect it could actually make sense for him to be remembering that Kim is from Nebraska in that moment.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
If Walt and Skyler had just bought the laser tag like Saul insisted, Skyler would've been much less liable when the whole thing blew up. Walt would have ended up killing Pryce by secretly converting one of the laser guns into an actual gun and getting Pryce to shoot himself in the head with it

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Going in to the episode, I was thinking maybe that Kim might have a change of heart given the opportunities coming her way, tries to back out, but Jimmy goes ahead with it against her wishes, and that's how they end up estranged.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Jay-V posted:

I just gave this scene a rewatch. Saul doesn't choose Nebraska, Ed does. Saul reflexively asks what's in Nebraska, Ed says "you, from now on" and then Saul puts on a somewhat troubled/ponderous look on his face. So in retrospect it could actually make sense for him to be remembering that Kim is from Nebraska in that moment.

Doesn't Saul also tell Walt something about Ed's service like "tomorrow you could be managing a CinnaBon in Omaha"? I knew the fact that he actually ends up working at a CinnaBon is a reference to some line like that but I can't remember if he does explicitly say 'Omaha'.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

saul says the best thing he could look forward now to is managing a cinnabon in omaha when hes with walt in the disappearer's hidey hole

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Doesn't Saul also tell Walt something about Ed's service like "tomorrow you could be managing a CinnaBon in Omaha"? I knew the fact that he actually ends up working at a CinnaBon is a reference to some line like that but I can't remember if he does explicitly say 'Omaha'.

Yep, that happens after Ed tells him he's going to Nebraska.

The ep starts with Saul arriving to the vacuum shop, getting his photo taken for a new Nebraska ID, and being told he's going to Nebraska. A little later he's bunking with Walt; Walt still wants to hire hitmen and get revenge for Hank, but Saul tries to emphasize just how finished the journey is: "If I'm lucky, three months from now, best case scenario, I'm managing a Cinnabon in Omaha."

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Ah OK, thanks for clearing that up. I had misremembered and thought he was addressing Walt with prospects for his own future post-disappearance.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah, this has been picked up on ever since Kim mentioned where she was from seasons ago.

Also, the one interesting thing about the Gene/Kim/Nebraska thing is that when Ed tells or shows him he'll be going there, Saul asks "What's in Nebraska?".

I bet that's a line the writers wish they could fully retcon.

Why would they need to retcon this if Kim isn't in Nebraska? Just because she's from there doesn't mean that's where she is "currently" (esp if she's in prison or dead)

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

lurker2006 posted:

Yeah, while the show provides several motives for Kim I really don't really feel like any of them are established strongly enough for how extreme the scam apparently will end up being, it lacks that inciting incident. Sure howard was a dick, sure she has fun doing scams with Jimmy, sure HHM is kind pushing the boundaries with the sandpiper residents' timetable, but none of those seem all that compelling at least in how they've been executed.

the big incident imo was when Jimmy pulled the scam over on her and Kevin. (which ofc also lead to their marriage) Before that, she thought she could exist as a bystander, ancillary to Jimmy's schemes; that there's a whole spectrum between being a duper or a mark. Being on the losing end shattered that view of things for her. Now things are binary, if you're not in on it, then you're necessarily a mark. She doesn't like that, so ever since then she's been leaning more and more into being a shark. Won't be fooled again!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe Kim told Dr Forrester where to send Saul

He's lucky he didn't end up in space or the north pole or something

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Jay-V posted:

Yep, that happens after Ed tells him he's going to Nebraska.

The ep starts with Saul arriving to the vacuum shop, getting his photo taken for a new Nebraska ID, and being told he's going to Nebraska. A little later he's bunking with Walt; Walt still wants to hire hitmen and get revenge for Hank, but Saul tries to emphasize just how finished the journey is: "If I'm lucky, three months from now, best case scenario, I'm managing a Cinnabon in Omaha."

It really is too bad Robert Forrester died. Knowing that Kim is from Nebraska, it's most certainly not a coincidence that Saul ended up getting disappeared to Omaha. It's certainly possible they can still cover it just by showing Jimmy / Kim on the phone.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't find Kim's hatred of Howard all that odd. He absolutely did ratfuck Jimmy from the moment he passed the bar, and laid Chuck's suicide at Jimmy's feet to assuage his own guilt while offering Jimmy such lovely condolence prizes as the opportunity to sift through the ashes at the site of his brother's suicide, an opportunity to sit on a board of people who would never offer him a chance and, as soon as he had moved on from being Charles McGill's inferior brother, the job whose denial had defined his entire career.

Plus, he's the poster child of corporate law and privilege, which I think is what she's really lashing out against. She clawed her way out of poverty and into an extremely lucrative job, which left her feeling completely empty and unsatisfied, while watching the one man who could match her hustle get hosed over by the same system. By taking down Howard a couple of pegs, she's taking revenge against the institution of corporate law itself.

Jay-V posted:

Or conversely, Kim is in Nebraska and Saul doesn't know it. I could see a scenario where she disappears and figures that Saul might do the same some day, and arranges with Ed where he'll go when that happens.

I mean that'd kind of go against how we see Ed do business, but maybe Kim insisted.

Mister Speaker posted:

I think that's in Ed's bunker after Saul's already met with him, and he's telling Walt that he is no longer his attorney Saul Goodman, he's managing a Cinnabon in Omaha and will absolutely never want anything to do with Walter White ever again. I think Walt wants to use him to hire hitmen or something, and Saul is decisively telling him to gently caress off?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Holy poo poo, I hope Pryce is laser tag Danny.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

- Kuby
- Possibly Lawson
- Ed Galbraith

Sobchak
maybe Pryce
the guy who steals the alpine shepard boy whose name I forget
but most importantly Todd(maybe)

Seriously, he just shows up one episode and Mike says he vetted him but never says how they found him in the first place, so...

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 17, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lastdancer posted:

Sobchak
maybe Pryce

Seriously, he just shows up one episode and Mike says he vetted him but never says how they found him in the first place, so...

Who shows up? Todd was with Ira, in Vamanos Pest. I doubt they're going to go into how Ira hired Todd.

Edit: also, Saul already met with Sobjack/Trevor, Ira, and Pryce. My post was about people he hadn't met yet that he'd meet specifically through the book.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Lastdancer posted:

Sobchak
maybe Pryce

Todd works for Vamanos pest. What's missing?

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Who shows up? Todd was with Ira, in Vamanos Pest. I doubt they're going to go into how Ira hired Todd.

Edit: also, Saul already met with Sobjack/Trevor, Ira, and Pryce. My post was about people he hadn't met yet that he'd meet specifically through the book.

oh jay posted:

Todd works for Vamanos pest. What's missing?

Whoops! I have a terrible memory. Sorry!

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 17, 2022

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Plus, he's the poster child of corporate law and privilege, which I think is what she's really lashing out against. She clawed her way out of poverty and into an extremely lucrative job, which left her feeling completely empty and unsatisfied, while watching the one man who could match her hustle get hosed over by the same system. By taking down Howard a couple of pegs, she's taking revenge against the institution of corporate law itself.
"Taking Howard down a couple pegs" in this case means him probably getting disbarred and losing his friend and work relationships.

I guess I'm at the "no longer rooting for the main character" stage but I felt like I got there a lot sooner with Breaking Bad.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

tazjin posted:

He did make a mistake, though. He hooked the coffee in before pushing the button, which could (depending on the machine) cause some of the coffee to burn. Better to push and, in the few seconds it takes before anything goes through, hook it in.

Maybe Howard deserves to have his life ruined after all

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Next episode will be 100% flashback showing all of the very terrible things that Howard has done in his life both personally and professionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i thought it was funny how howard's wife reacted to him telling her that jimmy was still messing with him. she really doesn't respect him lol