Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Enrico la Spaniard posted:

Sorry to corner you on SA mort, but apparently Stealth Improved is causing weird crashes for people.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/49614?tab=posts

I don't think I've encountered this one, but I rarely check my MWSE log these days lol

yea mwse changed some stuff on the back end and I got too wrapped up in tr stuff to fix it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cerebulon posted:

Tested it out, there's no issue with collision at the point where it spawns you with the drowning start, so no conflict. The other one places you outside of the wreck anyway.

The other thing I'd wonder about is if your mod adds extra treasure in that wreck which detracts from the "start with nothing and scramble to Vos or Molag Mar" gameplay.

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

mbt posted:

yea mwse changed some stuff on the back end and I got too wrapped up in tr stuff to fix it

Gotcha. Axe it from my MWSE folder for now, then?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Gotcha. Axe it from my MWSE folder for now, then?

idk the problems are probably with lightbased sneaking so disable that

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sorry to corner you on SA mort, but apparently Stealth Improved is causing weird crashes for people.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/49614?tab=posts

I don't think I've encountered this one, but I rarely check my MWSE log these days lol

ok just went to check, this person is full of poo poo. one person reporting some weird crash when loading 10000 mwse mods is not my problem. I can't replicate it even trying to break it.

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

mbt posted:

ok just went to check, this person is full of poo poo. one person reporting some weird crash when loading 10000 mwse mods is not my problem. I can't replicate it even trying to break it.

Fair enough! Thanks for checking :)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Has anyone here used the Famed Warrior background on Merlord's Character Backgrounds? I've been playing this Redguard for a while and haven't run into a single rival. Are they randomly generated or preset? Where should I be looking?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Erstwhile Gamespot reviewer (and Supergiant Games co-creator) Greg Kassavin : "Morrowind was a tough act to follow, but Oblivion isn't just better--it's a lot better."

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Has anyone here used the Famed Warrior background on Merlord's Character Backgrounds? I've been playing this Redguard for a while and haven't run into a single rival. Are they randomly generated or preset? Where should I be looking?

they interrupt your rests like db assassins

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mbt posted:

they interrupt your rests like db assassins
Can they do it indoors like the assassins? I rest regularly since I use Ashfall, but rarely outdoors. Either in beds or in caves, since weather mods and Ashfall mean sleeping outdoors is risky.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Can they do it indoors like the assassins? I rest regularly since I use Ashfall, but rarely outdoors. Either in beds or in caves, since weather mods and Ashfall mean sleeping outdoors is risky.

20% chance on any rest, indoors outdoors doesn't matter (but I haven't tested it. maybe rest for 1 hour outside?). have to be level 2 for the first one, 4 for the second, then 8 12 and every 4 I think until 36

if you want to mess with it, go to mwse/mods/mer/characterBackgrounds/backgrounds/famedWarrior.lua
at the very top you should see local warriorInterruptChance = TESTMODE and 0.20
change the 0.20 to 1.0 and it should guarantee every single rest is interrupted if you meet the conditions

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mbt posted:

20% chance on any rest, indoors outdoors doesn't matter (but I haven't tested it. maybe rest for 1 hour outside?). have to be level 2 for the first one, 4 for the second, then 8 12 and every 4 I think until 36

if you want to mess with it, go to mwse/mods/mer/characterBackgrounds/backgrounds/famedWarrior.lua
at the very top you should see local warriorInterruptChance = TESTMODE and 0.20
change the 0.20 to 1.0 and it should guarantee every single rest is interrupted if you meet the conditions
It must just be bad luck then, my character's only level 4 anyway.

Edit: Haven't gotten it to work, must be an incompatibilty with Ashfall or something else that affects sleep. Maybe Bed Buddies?

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 20, 2022

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

I've run into a similar issue with the Escaped Slave background. No headhunters coming to put my Argonian tail six feet under after 11 levels.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

It must just be bad luck then, my character's only level 4 anyway.

Edit: Haven't gotten it to work, must be an incompatibilty with Ashfall or something else that affects sleep. Maybe Bed Buddies?

they're all made by the same guy, so that would be odd. i'll ask him

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

I've run into a similar issue with the Escaped Slave background. No headhunters coming to put my Argonian tail six feet under after 11 levels.

If you look in the CS, it's meant to call on NPCs who don't actually exist in the file. I messaged him about it a while ago and he says he's aware of it and it's just, not finished yet?

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

FlocksOfMice posted:

If you look in the CS, it's meant to call on NPCs who don't actually exist in the file. I messaged him about it a while ago and he says he's aware of it and it's just, not finished yet?

Yeah, I've put it on his radar in the past (in 2020, actually) but meh. It's not that big a deal.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V-cbxbfnuo

I loving love these dumb videos

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
How much should I worry about the "oh god move Morrowind out of the default steamapps location" warning in the OP if I'm just doing some real basic bitch Patch for Purist/Enhanced Textures/Code Patch/Optimization kinda modding.

Since uh, Steam isn't particularly willing to let me have multiple steam install locations on the same drive and all.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Captain Oblivious posted:

How much should I worry about the "oh god move Morrowind out of the default steamapps location" warning in the OP if I'm just doing some real basic bitch Patch for Purist/Enhanced Textures/Code Patch/Optimization kinda modding.

Since uh, Steam isn't particularly willing to let me have multiple steam install locations on the same drive and all.

Literally never caused me issues and I just dump mods straight into Data Files.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

It's just never a good idea to put your games in Program Files IMO. Might be fine now, might never cause you issues, but I'd just move the Steam directory to C:\Games or whatever and never have to think about it again.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Yeah it's less about Steam and more about windows doing weird poo poo with Program Files. Despite working on systems software I never really looked into it, but I think there's like a shadow directory where all the changes get saved instead? It's very weird.

It's less of an issue these days since so many programs install outside of it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Finally breaking down and making a non-dunmer is fun. If you were wondering, of course I'm a khajiit that punches people to death.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Can confirm have a heavily modded Morrowind in steamapps without issue because I installed it at C:\Steam. Agree to highly highly recommend not installing Steam under Program Files if only to avoid headaches for the future.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I've genuinely never had an issue with the game being in program files, what kind of issues actually occur?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I can't speak for Morrowind specifically, but in general Windows 10 will disallow a lot of operations within Program Files unless the process has administrative privilege. For most modern games, this isn't much of an issue, since they're coded to account for that. For older titles, you can sometimes run into non-obvious problems where files can't be accessed because the game wasn't expecting this, and there is no useful indication that your setup got borked because (for example) the game couldn't create its first-run .ini file

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The_White_Crane posted:

I can't speak for Morrowind specifically, but in general Windows 10 will disallow a lot of operations within Program Files unless the process has administrative privilege. For most modern games, this isn't much of an issue, since they're coded to account for that. For older titles, you can sometimes run into non-obvious problems where files can't be accessed because the game wasn't expecting this, and there is no useful indication that your setup got borked because (for example) the game couldn't create its first-run .ini file

this is exactly it. morrowind utilities make a lot of temp files in and around the folder

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Finally breaking down and making a non-dunmer is fun. If you were wondering, of course I'm a khajiit that punches people to death.

I started an Argonian shadowscale assassin and it's so liberating to just murder all these dark elf assholes after roleplaying one so many times

Also, if you're punching people to death, I (shameless self-plug) highly recommend Deadly Combat Exhaustion. It lets you better hit fatigued, paralyzed, or burdened foes. I made it when I did a hand-to-hand focussed character.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Yeah I've been watching his channel lately as well. His videos are really dumb but they're well put together and they do make me laugh.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Proletarian Mango posted:

I started an Argonian shadowscale assassin and it's so liberating to just murder all these dark elf assholes after roleplaying one so many times

Also, if you're punching people to death, I (shameless self-plug) highly recommend Deadly Combat Exhaustion. It lets you better hit fatigued, paralyzed, or burdened foes. I made it when I did a hand-to-hand focussed character.

Don't mind if I do.

Speaking of khajiit mods, is there something recommended for fleshing out Twin Lamps as a playable faction? Back in the day there was a mod for it, idk if it's updated/superceded.

Once I was a slaver wizard. Now I climb to the tops of their towers with my claws. And then murder them. With my claws.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Don't mind if I do.

Speaking of khajiit mods, is there something recommended for fleshing out Twin Lamps as a playable faction? Back in the day there was a mod for it, idk if it's updated/superceded.

Once I was a slaver wizard. Now I climb to the tops of their towers with my claws. And then murder them. With my claws.
There's an up to dare version of Nevena's Twin Lamps:
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/47420

The only other one I know of is Brother Juniper's Twin Lamps, which should still work but has always been fairly buggy and rough around the edges, as you'd expect from a mod which was last updated before the Iraq War. I always enjoyed it but use with caution i guess

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I played through Brother Junipers a couple years ago, had to use console to unfuck a quest at one point but it mostly still works and is charming. I’ll have to try that other one and compare next playthrough

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd7cmpBdXYA

Morrowind memes own

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Just read OpenMW update and apparantly shader tools are in the works and you can even customize shaders in-game and tweak or turn off shaders as you like. This is basically what will get me back into Morrowind modding and complete my setup.

https://openmw.org/en/

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
how different is openmw vs mwse ir2 lua

will it be far easier to just redo my mod for open mw or is it like "nah dude get your poo poo together and maybe you can do both instead of neither"

e: mine was the one where you can pack up unowned containers and bring them wherever you like but i somehow hosed up the references and bringing containers into the wrong places would cause crashes

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

OpenMW is downright the most impressive ES modding project out there, perhaps superseeded by Skyblivion IF/when it releases. It is basically Morrowind with far better stability and performance. Functions similar to MSWE-Lua is being worked on and is in its early stages now. Shaders (basically what MGE provides) is soon to be released for it along with other QoL changes that held OpenMW back a little. OpenMW also provides LOD without having to generate it each time. I am running highest LOD possible without any issues now.

I still install all my mods using MO2. IIRC OpenMW asks you to install mods manually, but I have used OpenMW through MO2 with no issues.

Midig fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 1, 2022

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

how different is openmw vs mwse ir2 lua

will it be far easier to just redo my mod for open mw or is it like "nah dude get your poo poo together and maybe you can do both instead of neither"

e: mine was the one where you can pack up unowned containers and bring them wherever you like but i somehow hosed up the references and bringing containers into the wrong places would cause crashes

openmw lua is in its very early stages and can't do much beyond what the dev specifically implements for selected mods

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Speaking of Brother Juniper's...

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Mwse is great unless you really want to do one of the maybe 2-3 things openmw does better like multiplayer.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Mwse is great unless you really want to do one of the maybe 2-3 things openmw does better like multiplayer.

Counter argument the stability and performance is significantly better and worth it over gimmick mwse mods.

I'm playing morrowind for old school charm I don't give a gently caress about 95% of the mwse mods, most of the essentials (graphical herbalism) are either baked into openmw or have a comparable openmw version, gimme content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I'm running with like 30 MWSE mods because I've been playing Morrowind for 20 years and more of the same doesn't cut it, I need a dozen new weird gameplay options or else I'm going to burn out very fast because I've already been playing for 20 years and I didn't even WANT to be playing 20 years later they just haven't released a game that does what Morrowind does still yet somehow.