Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Pulled the driver's seat out of my NB at the weekend so I can fold the carpet back and weld floor to sill without setting the interior alight. Of course I climbed inside and sat down on the floor and noted it was almost spot on for the driving position I should probably be in. I need a THIN seat and to mount that boy low as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There is an SCCA Spec Miata approved floor pan drop you can buy specifically to gain some headroom. You have the carpet out already.

https://www.advanced-autosports.com/collections/roll-cages-and-accessories/products/spec-miata-floor-drop

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I hate how I know this would solve any/all problems I have and that I'll eventually do it. :v: I want to pop a rollbar in too so I can sling up one of those stupid bikini tops for the days I don't want to use the hard top (soft top is shagged) so I guess these modifications will get done together at some point in the future after I've driven it around for a while.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
I've got a 17" kirkey intermediate road race seat FS in DC for any big boys trying to fit in their small toys.

I run a 15" ultrasheild on a custom bracket and it's perfect - but I was made for this car; legs of a 5'9" dude and the torso of a 5'7".

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

pastor of muppets posted:

Ngl as a 5’4” woman I feel pretty vindicated about being able to fit perfectly in my ND after being told for years that I “just need to get over it :smug:” by motodudes when I would say that there are many bikes that I will never feel comfortable riding due to their seat height/weight distribution/overall short person-unfriendly geometry

this isn’t meant to be a dig at anyone in this thread
:argh:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Pulled the driver's seat out of my NB at the weekend so I can fold the carpet back and weld floor to sill without setting the interior alight. Of course I climbed inside and sat down on the floor and noted it was almost spot on for the driving position I should probably be in. I need a THIN seat and to mount that boy low as possible.
:(:respek: You might look at the Tillett B5 or B8.

Got the anchor plates welded in place. One is not welded in pretty but will hold. Rest of this week I'll work on shaping the driver's seat pan to clear the floor better and do more foamectomy.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 10, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Coredump posted:

Who were Miatas made for seriously? I'm 5'9" and I found out this weekend that if I take out the seat completely and sit against the rear bulk head I would JUST pass the broomstick test. This is sitting directly on the floor of the car. Too bad my legs can't reach.

For the Japanese? Which is good because it means I fit perfectly at 1.7m / 5'7"?

I considered lowering the seating position to feel more "in" the car but then K wouldn't be able to rest my elbow on the door so I dismissed that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Coredump posted:

:argh:

:(:respek: You might look at the Tillett B5 or B8.

I paid less for the car than either of those seats :v: (but thank you!)

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I paid less for the car than either of those seats :v: (but thank you!)

I paid $1800 for mine but have spent more on seats. Speaking of, I think it’s time to list my set of Lotus Elise seats somewhere.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I fit in the car fine at 6'1", I'm assuming I'm weirdly proportioned. But it would definitely be nice to sit lower in the car at some point in the future to get a bit further away from the breeze when the hard top is off.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

um excuse me posted:

There is an SCCA Spec Miata approved floor pan drop you can buy specifically to gain some headroom. You have the carpet out already.

https://www.advanced-autosports.com/collections/roll-cages-and-accessories/products/spec-miata-floor-drop

This is also approved in NASA Spec Miata, but you take points for modified chassis in NASA ST and TT because dumb reasons. It "costs" about average 5 wheel horsepower (like 8whp peak) or 50 pounds in 4.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 10, 2022

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Wild it costs points to fit in the car better.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Coredump posted:

Wild it costs points to fit in the car better.

lower CG so I kinda see why they do it

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I... didn't think of that. Good point.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I get it, but it is difficult or impossible to get your head away from a cage halo with required padding that fits in the hardtop confines. The top left of your helmet bounces off the cage padding over big bumps.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
You also become the lowest point in the car with a drop pan so have fun having your rear end violated every time you jump a curb.

That may or may not be a plus depending lol. It really shouldn't cost points though if it's in the name of safety.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

I'm on my second set (in less than a year lmao) of those firestone Indy's in 205/45/17 and I really like them for street use, can't comment on much wet though but seemed fine. I spent all day yesterday about 9 hours of driving a van and yet still today I couldn't wait to go out.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
98 NB, RHD AUDM, water pooling in driver footwell

Wondering if anyone can help me figure it out? Its utterly drenched. The drain in the windsheild that goes down the seal and out the door has water run through it cleanly on both sides of the car, I can't seem to find the one that goes to the fender?

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zvNwzxIKCw

is this a thing that happens to NBs too?

E: I figured it out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B2rxj-Fl80
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUAMrx-pRw4

Anyone happen to know the best place to get seals in australia?

E again: no embed?

Miss Broccoli fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 17, 2022

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Huh, I learned something today. I assumed that with the top up no water was able to get into that drainage channel!

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Hello thread. I've never posted much in AI but I'm putting this post down to bookmark this thread as I'll be picking up a 2016 ND MX 5 2.0 this week (or Monday.)

I'm not planning to do much to it (does everyone say that?) except maybe a fatter steering wheel, but I'm looking forward to catching up on the thread and picking the bugs out of my teeth.

At the moment, I do the fun/practical jobs with two different cars -

Both of those are going, and the Mazda is the "fun" part of the replacements. I'm looking forward to picking up the keys.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

As a non-Miata owner, I’d say you’re living the dream. Peak AI right there, friend.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Thank you. The C63 has been fun, but there are times when I'm behind the wheel that I feel vertiginous, or as if I'm on thin ice. Not just the performance (although in the wet it's a handful) but the... complexity? The weight of things that could possibly go wrong.

I've tried it, and I'm going simpler. New family wagon ordered, ND 2.0 to be picked up tomorrow afternoon. Pics to follow.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Well it's going to be a different kind of fun than the C63 that's for sure!

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Very different! The Kia has been the perfect foil for the C63.

I knew the Mercedes would be expensive to fuel when I bought it, but sub 15 (Imperial) mpg around town was unsustainable. It also made me wince every time I ran the big 4.0 Biturbo without giving it time to get to the operating temperature.

The Kia was the solution to that problem, and to be fair, it was a perfect answer to the question, "What's the simplest, most reliable car for an old lady to take to the shops once a week?"

But every time I filled the Kia I did the maths on how much those miles would have cost me in the C63, and without exaggeration, every time I put £40 in the blue car, it saved me £80 on doing the urban miles in Moby Dick.

Anyway, getting off-topic of Miatas. Photos tomorrow.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

So I haven’t seen Miata tirechat in a while, what are most people here doing?

I burned through my stock Potenza S001s on my ND in about 15k miles which is apparently about average. I live in a place with mild, but snowy winters and I’ve been dead set on getting high performance summer tires and dedicated snow tires, but it’s a huge pain in the rear end for me to store a second set of tires right now. I actually drove in the stock summer tires this past winter and it’s… doable, but extremely unsafe.

I think I’m just gonna pull the trigger on some Pilot Sport all-seasons, I don’t do anything more than spirited street driving and it would be really great to not change tires. The hardcore enthusiast in me keeps thinking about not having as much grip as a summer tire in the dry, but I’m beginning to think that high quality all-seasons might be just as good for me for how hard I push the car.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Well, as promised. (That's not me - it's my father-in-law, who enjoys sitting in new cars and bothering salespeople.)

This model should, I think, have a black interior, but it was swapped out and put into another (more regular) customer's car, leaving me with the brown leather, which I much prefer.

Very happy with it. Now, how long before I start changing things?

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I loooove the auburn leather. Congrats!

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Thank you. Now to read the manual and decipher the radio. It's got Bluetooth, so at least I can catch up on my Roman history as I blat around Warwickshire's leafy lanes.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Teach posted:

Thank you. Now to read the manual and decipher the radio. It's got Bluetooth, so at least I can catch up on my Roman history as I blat around Warwickshire's leafy lanes.

That's a lovely colour combo. Also hello (ish)neighbour.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Is it safe to jack up an NB by the differential?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I've done it, it was fine :v:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Wibla posted:

I've done it, it was fine :v:

I've done it too, but I always wonder if I'm not supposed to.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
yeah it's fine

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What would be the argument against it?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

um excuse me posted:

What would be the argument against it?

A lot of stress on the differential case, which may not appreciate it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Ror posted:

I burned through my stock Potenza S001s on my ND in about 15k miles which is apparently about average. I live in a place with mild, but snowy winters and I’ve been dead set on getting high performance summer tires and dedicated snow tires, but it’s a huge pain in the rear end for me to store a second set of tires right now. I actually drove in the stock summer tires this past winter and it’s… doable, but extremely unsafe.

I think I’m just gonna pull the trigger on some Pilot Sport all-seasons, I don’t do anything more than spirited street driving and it would be really great to not change tires. The hardcore enthusiast in me keeps thinking about not having as much grip as a summer tire in the dry, but I’m beginning to think that high quality all-seasons might be just as good for me for how hard I push the car.

Besides the issue of grip, I wouldn't run summer tires in the winter because they can "cold crack." Like, most OEM summer tires probably aren't going to do that (baseless assumption on my part), but it's definitely a real thing. If you can't reliably switch between tires, then I think all-season is the way to go. Yes, they must be worse, but I think you're getting pretty abstract in most cases, as you allude.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Ror posted:

The only All Season I have run is the BF Goodrich G-Force Comp 2, was great, handled well but will overheat if you do extended canyon carving.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Cat Hatter posted:

Is it safe to jack up an NB by the differential?

100%

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Thanks for the replies. I figured I should check since just because the big steel diff housing on a Jeep can do it doesn't necessarily mean the tiny aluminum one on a Miata is up to the task of supporting half the car. Especially since I crushed the frame rail thing going off-label for lifting points a few years ago.

But if Baby Pac-Man says its fine, that's good enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The little dude (and Teach’s sick ND) is making me rethink my choices entirely.