Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

https://twitter.com/BurningBush_eth/status/1526546763456385026

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Seth Green’s favourite game:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Rabbi T. White posted:

lol

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Seth "Ain't got no" Green, more like

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I played this game on an emulator recently and it still holds up to childhood memories. I’d pay for a decent remaster of it.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
The youtube video with the guy explaining a ton of Crypto / NFTs was interesting, thanks to whoever posted that a few pages back

It's great schadenfreude watching a lot of this go down but having to wade into Twitter Crypto posts is .. yeesh. It's disgusting.

A guy came to my house to do some work and started talking about crypto, says he listens to Bloomberg a lot and seemed like he has done a ton of homework. He had Bloomberg radio going for most of one of the days he was around the house and Bloomberg radio was nothing but CryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCrypto all day long, I don't see how someone could do that, or work alongside someone that had that going all day, just endless news and speculation

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Isn't "fren" for "friend" an online neonazi thing? From when they had a nazi subreddit all in baby talk in an attempt to avoid scrutiny.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i think it's just dumb crypto bro talk and the nazi association is just the natural venn diagram between those populations. could be wrong

a lot of these celeb ones (like seth here) seem to me like their weird celeb-adjacent friends are all into it as the next big thing so they become sucked in by assocation

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
ser, pls be my fren #WAGMI

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
Seth Green been hacked, all his apes gone.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The idea is that in order to have a truly "trustless" system, you need a sufficiently complex and rigid set of rules that every transaction must adhere to, enforced by code. And this code is held up as the one true law because things like "human judgment" influencing the outcome of transactions are seen as vectors for bad actors to exploit the system. If something goes wrong due to an oversight in the code, then tough luck, code is law. Just patch the oversight so it doesn't happen again! (they usually skip this step)

I honestly wonder how much pop culture have to do with this poo poo, in the sense that there seems to be an element of "wouldn't it be cool if money acted like it did in video games/movies/comic books?!", even subconsciously. I kind of feel that sort of thinking might be at the core of a few awful trends, like weird health supplements and open carry laws.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hellblazer187 posted:

Isn't "fren" for "friend" an online neonazi thing? From when they had a nazi subreddit all in baby talk in an attempt to avoid scrutiny.

like a lot of extremely online nazi bullshit it's incredibly unlikely that anyone would pick that up as just a thing people say if they don't hang around a lot of extremely online nazis, but if you call em out on it it's on you to prove they're a nazi and there's no way to do that without sounding insane

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 17, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

it's more of a 4chan thing. so same difference for the most part, except it's bled into other non-nazi areas of the internet like a lot of other 4chan things

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, fren was from the idiotic clownworld vs frenworld 4chan nazi thing

but as said, with the huge amount of involvement of 4chan nazis in crypto it has bled out to other areas of the internet without having the same nazi meaning for those people, as far as i know

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm almost positive it both predates and still exceeds its usage by internet neonazis

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The idea is that in order to have a truly "trustless" system, you need a sufficiently complex and rigid set of rules that every transaction must adhere to, enforced by code. And this code is held up as the one true law because things like "human judgment" influencing the outcome of transactions are seen as vectors for bad actors to exploit the system. If something goes wrong due to an oversight in the code, then tough luck, code is law. Just patch the oversight so it doesn't happen again! (they usually skip this step)
"oversight" lol

"it's a feature not a bug" is another phrase that pops up a lot. The case I linked to is how the MERS system is now is the final arbiter of who owns a house, regardless of whether that system is legally correct.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it's extremely funny to me that the white supremacists posting pseudointellectual RETVRN bullshit are almost universally derided but the ones pretending to be severely mentally disabled appear to have blended so seamlessly into the culture at large that even celebrities have taken to imitating them

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 17, 2022

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

I thought fren was Canadian colloquialism, immortalized by South Park

"I'm not you buddy, guy"
"I'm not your guy, fren"
"I'm not your fren, buddy"

etc.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Nope, it's another plausible deniable just like hydrohomie

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

raspurtin posted:

I thought fren was Canadian colloquialism, immortalized by South Park

"I'm not you buddy, guy"
"I'm not your guy, fren"
"I'm not your fren, buddy"

etc.

that was "fwen" so not the same

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
gol blimey a pirate nicked me apes!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How did the NY settlement, exposing their lies, not sink Tether?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Rinkles posted:

just proved big government is scared of the crypto revolution

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Fren is just another dumb weird internet meme word like doge or snek or protecc and all kinds of people use it. It doesn't surprise me that it would be co-opted by internet Nazis but if you think anyone who says it is a Nazi, you are probably spending too much time in online Nazi spaces.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Non-Frendable Token

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Random Stranger posted:

Yes, there were multiple exchanges that were that stupid.

hahaha of loving course they were

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

run on sentience posted:

Fren is just another dumb weird internet meme word like doge or snek or protecc and all kinds of people use it. It doesn't surprise me that it would be co-opted by internet Nazis but if you think anyone who says it is a Nazi, you are probably spending too much time in online Nazi spaces.

I’m trying to imagine neo nazis calling each other “fren” in baby talk. :psyduck:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

I'm more surprised they had a legal team to begin with

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Rinkles posted:

As long as the exchanges and whales that hold most of Tether don't try to sell it, it's hard to see how Tether will fail on its own. And since those exchanges have at least an indirect interest in keeping Tether alive (because if it keels over and dies tomorrow, the market drops 90%) and possibly a direct interest (through commercial paper issued to Tether or ownership interests), they won't.

Their backing might be dogshit, but there's probably enough real backing there to withstand a retail bank run.

My guess is Tether will fail either as a result of a wider crypto market crash, or slowly as it becomes superceded by better backed stablecoins (e.g. USDC which *seems* to be properly backed).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Tether exists to prove everything libertarians believe is nonsense. People will not under any circumstances, do any research on the stuff they invest in.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Mercury_Storm posted:

I'm more surprised they had a legal team to begin with

Just one guy.

Bob.

Fresh out of law school.

Only job was to give two thumbs up and say "That's probably legal" :shrug: when asked a question.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

all i think all the time when any of this is discussed.
E: yeah, if i was less lazy it would all be apes.

staberind fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 17, 2022

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

Taco Duck posted:

Stable coin? wtf is that? You know what you find in a stable? Lots of horse poo poo.

Closing the stablecoin after the ape has bolted.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

people who had BTC before all the pandemic money flooded in would still be way up in profit.

just looking at the 5 year chart it would be smart to keep selling if you are one of those people, but if you bought in any other time, welp you probably already ear marked that crypto for losses any ways and you are gonna just watch it lose value without selling and cutting loses and i can't imagine people with huge amounts of cash bailing out the price right now, they would at least way for it to get cheaper, like back nearer to the 10K price range.

so theres my BTC prediction, it will continue to grind down to pre-pandemic levels closer to 10k.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Seth Pecksniff posted:

The answer is "maybe"

You have to define whether this is a security or not and the SEC hasn't really figured that poo poo out yet. Could it be fraud? Maybe, no idea! But their lawyers could maybe make the argument that they didn't have to abide by the Securities Act because they weren't securities and thus didn't have to be registered as such. But if your entire legal team quits en masse that says to me there's some waaaaaaay more shady poo poo going on that they couldn't justify anymore

I assume they quit en-masse because they'd just seen their client lose all their money. No money = no lawyer.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

staberind posted:

all i think all the time when any of this is discussed.
E: yeah, if i was less lazy it would all be apes.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

just proved big government is scared of the crypto revolution

It turns out, when your starting point is “all the present systems designed to ensure trust, reliability, and enforceability of contracts are irredeemably corrupt,” you are extremely susceptible to snake oil.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dial A For Awesome posted:

Closing the stablecoin after the ape has bolted.

:golfclap:

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

yeah, what i did not think of is : they can get hella scammed whithin the structure of the whole scheme, and they focus on the idea that someone stole a thing from them, as opposed to the idea that they threw cash onto a fire and some of the cash took longer to burn than the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/DJTRAXNFT/status/1526647508406964224

:barf: