Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

Well...what would those be? Malkin? Letang? I don't think they'll fall off the cliff that badly over the 3 or 4 year deals the Pens would give them. Even if they did, those deals would be expiring right around when the Pens begin to suck. Rust would be the one that could be lovely if they give him a lot of years and dollars, but I kinda doubt the Pens will outbid what Rust could get from UFA so I suspect he's gone.

50% Rust with big dollar and term. 25% Malkin on his continued disinterest in anything defense and his offense continuing to fall off. 25% Letang mostly on term because the dollars are definitely going to be high and he's going to explode at some point. Wild Card of an extremely bad contract to Klingberg.

AV in Toronto would be interesting. Probably not in a good way. Torts is also available and would probably also be a disaster, but he'd poo poo on the media a lot and that would be very fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Letang is absolutely going to get at least 5 years from someone, and the Penguins pretty clearly have decided it isn't going to be them. Godspeed you crazy motherfucker.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Eric the Mauve posted:

Letang is absolutely going to get at least 5 years from someone, and the Penguins pretty clearly have decided it isn't going to be them. Godspeed you crazy motherfucker.

As hugely detrimental it would be to lose him yeah lol. Last I had read Hextall was capped at 3 which would be the most I'd consider giving him as well.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/scottcwheeler/status/1526694819191566337?s=20&t=b_FaAOXdt7ohk8SSy0yh7Q
jfc

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

as much as I'd like to see him front-kick Steve Simmons in the face or whatever, the NHL should really have to approve any Canadian coaching contracts teams offer him like Joel Q. but only in Canada. he can go anywhere in the US. but I believe him and Canada are like oil and water. i don't want to see him there

Remember how he lived in the US while coaching the Vancouver Canucks?

hahaha, that's sad.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

wrong thread

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Uhh, that stuff clearly belongs in the college hockey thread. Just like the Arizona Coyotes.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Surely you mean the Arizona State University Coyotes of the NHL

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Surely you mean the Arizona State University Coyotes of the NHL

That’s right, but at least the ASU Coyotes of the NHL has a conference.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
It would be an amazing shitshow for ASU to kick out the Coyotes midseason for some random bullshit.

It's an amazing shitshow that the league even let it get to this point.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

It’s gonna be really funny when they get kicked out before the season even starts for not paying any rent.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Schremp Howard posted:

It would be an amazing shitshow for ASU to kick out the Coyotes midseason for some random bullshit.

It's an amazing shitshow that the league even let it get to this point.

They better hope the RA doesn’t catch them with a bottles of Goldschlager and Busch Light they use to have their freshman mixer. They might not make it to second semester.

I do think Phil Kessel would be a blast at a party.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Wait, what about the trapezoid then?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

So ASU has responded to this that the agreement says that while it is correct that the Yotes won't be able to change anything on the ice and that only ASU can, ASU intends to replace their own logo with the Yotes logo for those games.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Fifty Three posted:

Wait, what about the trapezoid then?

They should scrap it for games in Arizona and make this whole experiment a little more interesting.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
There are concessions in the rink right? or are they going to be selling cans of beer out of coolers at a folding table near the entrance like they did at my university?

Feel terrible for Arizona fans.. they don't deserve this nonsense. I guess it could be pretty cool for the college students though.

**I'm just glad that the Oakland A's reign as the biggest punching bag in professional sports will be relatively short lived... although the Coyotes still may out-draw them

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Hello Hockey thread, here is some footage of a 1933 hockey game between Berlin and Oxford:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Co1UMpcdh4

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/derek82/status/1526722921326075905?t=YtwRhANPufD3NzohA41cMw&s=19

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Love Stole the Day posted:

Hello Hockey thread, here is some footage of a 1933 hockey game between Berlin and Oxford:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Co1UMpcdh4

whoa holy poo poo this is a cool find

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
that seems like a really low score considering the goalie style

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I love old clips where the goalie looks like every other player on the ice except for the thinnest pads imaginable.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Goalies are crazy people now, imagine how nuts they had to be then.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Goalies are crazy people now, imagine how nuts they had to be then.

at least it looks like everyone is going a bit slower and isn't slamming slap shots

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://www.northjersey.com/story/s...ons/9812464002/

Surprising if not entirely unwelcome. He had gotten better in recent years at not being so relentlessly, unrealistically, positive but it will be nice to get some new blood in there. Honestly as much as I love Dano he sounds like he's been drifting into a permanent slumber over the past two years and a new color voice (or another person with him) wouldn't be bad either.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
This dude really wants the Devils to take Nemec:

https://twitter.com/ByronMBader/status/1522642598338342912

https://twitter.com/ByronMBader/status/1526672121266483200

I like actually valuing production as a big part of the decision but it seems like a lot of weight to put on numbers put up in the Slovak league during a global pandemic. That being said, I think the top 4-5 in this draft is looking pretty strong even if there isn't an franchise guy probably.

e: Also Askarov signed with Nashville. Goddamn that is going to be an insane tandem with Saros soon.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 18, 2022

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mike_V posted:

that seems like a really low score considering the goalie style

This was very shortly after the creation of a lot of rules we consider integral to hockey. Specifically, the forward pass had only been allowed for a few years at this point and a lot of teams were still adapting. I'm not 100% sure based on the overhead shot, but I think they're playing five aside which makes sense as the rover was phased out through the 20s. Still, it was the most important position on the ice and play was driven through them.

Hockey prior to this point involved a lot of regrouping in your own zone and having one player (usually the Rover) try and skate past everyone for a shot on net. You can see some of that thinking still reflected in this clip as passing (especially in the attacking zone) is almost non-existent and there's a lot of solo play. Defencemen are also barely involved in the play beyond their own side of centre.

The other thing that changed was the advent of the curved stick blade which arrived 10-20 years after this game. Elevating the puck prior to that was very difficult and the wrist shot was effectively impossible so it was a lot of snap shots low or along the ice. Goalies didn't need to cover much of the upper half of the net because players could rarely shoot it there.

So yeah the score seems low given the goalie is basically just a dude in a sweater, but that 3-1 would be pretty typical of the era. NHL teams of the thirties only averaged about 2.4 goals a game (below the dead puck era) and that was up over a goal from the decade prior. Hockey prior to the 50s was closer to soccer in score than what we see today.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

NHL Offseason: Good Behavior Clause

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
At this point, Hartford would probably make more revenue than the Yotes

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Only if the Canes let them use the Whalers name/color/logos/etc :colbert:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Island Nation posted:

At this point, Hartford would probably make more revenue than the Yotes

The Wolfpack probably already do.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Random, but my brother and I were talking about this the other day and this is still perhaps the loudest crowd I've ever heard, just 20k+ people losing their loving minds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YBBHCyt3sA

I thought the roof was going to come down when they gave the 1-minute left announcement

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
not trolling completely but the crowd in this game was probably my favorite Devils crowd in recent memory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pziCflNQPdM&t=1s

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Members of the Bills, Sabres and Bandits visited the site of the mass shooting in Buffalo today and then served lunch to members of the community.

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/1527020863568154624?s=21&t=qGHu69UmSdl6dOwzVEOsHA

We love that guy.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Isn't Torterella still available?:D

he'd insist on commuting from buffalo or detroit and would skip practices if his stint in vancouver is any indication

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

In news that won’t matter because teams are cowards:

https://twitter.com/capfriendly/status/1527043112870285313?s=21&t=u32pZ7eRxEXk7fKGIA7xyA

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Mind_Taker posted:

In news that won’t matter because teams are cowards:

It can also gently caress you over if you don't overpay for the player. Montreal basically missed free agency in 2019 because their salary was all tied up in Aho.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
https://twitter.com/AntSanPhilly/status/1526988001523519490

Oh but Mike Yeo was working out so well for thahahahahahahaahahahahahhaahahahahaahaha

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The NHL is depressingly stagnant when it comes to player movement and big trades.

I know its good for players, but it also makes it super boring knowing that McDavid will spend his whole career in the Edmonton living out his days in his Shame Cube.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Not Important posted:

https://twitter.com/AntSanPhilly/status/1526988001523519490

Oh but Mike Yeo was working out so well for thahahahahahahaahahahahahhaahahahahaahaha

Absolutely not please no god no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nothing the Flyers have done in the past decade suggests they are smart enough to hire Trotz and get out of his way.