Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Whoreson Welles posted:

Is there a consensus on All-Clad D3 vs D5 or is it just preference between quicker response and safer, slower cooking?

I don't have an America's Test Kitchen account, but someone mentioned this a page or so back. I have their D5 and am happy with them, but if the D3 is just as good or better, then that's great.

therobit posted:

America’s test kitchen did not find much of a difference, other than in some cases 5 ply is actually worse than 3 ply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I can never decide on these. I do the majority of the cooking but my wife would never be bothered for maintenance on these.

I could see cooking eggs, searing steaks, and maybe doing some of my bigger dishes on these so I’d think the 12” would be the smart move, but I’m not going to use a 12” pan for one or two eggs over easy…the last thing I need are even more pans. I just bought the 12” all clad skillet and pan in their past sale, but those rivets piss me off.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have D5 and it’s been perfect for over a decade.

I would guess D3 is pretty similar. It’s all wonderful and I love using it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

Where does one even store something like that? Or is the answer "it is welded to the stove".
In the cabinet, but yeah, it's out and about generally 2-3x a week. The cast iron literally never leaves the stove (and neither does my partner's wok)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well if this Belter's husband likes it, it must be good

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Thanks for the input everyone. I ended up with an SD5 10in skillet and 3qt saute pan to upgrade my old Wal-Mart stuff. If I end up loving these (I’m sure I will) I’ll probably wind up dropping $700 next sale.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Trying to resist the temptation to get a 12" D3. Already got a 10" and a 3qt, but sometimes the 10" is just a bit too small...

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Yeah I really don't understand why you'd go with a 10" fry pan instead of the 12" if you were just going to have one. Unless your space is really limited. Or maaaaaaybe if you were always just cooking for one.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If you've only got teeny tiny burners it can be kind of annoying to have a pan that's much larger than them. And if you want to shallow fry stuff in the pan, smaller is better (unless it's too small), because that way you use less oil. And if you have other things with lids that fit a 10" pan rather than a 12" pan, you might want to be able to double up on your lid usage.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

What's a Mat fer?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

Well if this Belter's husband likes it, it must be good

This space-colonialist joke made me laugh.

Relevance: I have some D3 and D5 stuff. I think the D3’s are a 4 quart saucepan and a 12 inch sauté, both of which wouldn’t benefit all that much from two more layers of thermal mass. I have both a 10 and 12 inch D5 skillet that came as a pair and both get used pretty often, even just when I need two skillets for a recipe or meal. And since those are usually where I’m searing stuff, the extra thermal mass from the D5 is useful. Maybe incorrect but that was the calculation I made when buying all the pieces. I love cooking on all of it and would recommend it to anyone. That said, I gave my mom a $200 set of copper core Costco brand (Kirkland) stainless cookware and she loves them. I haven’t cooked on them myself just yet but they certainly felt extremely hefty when I was wrapping and handling them and would probably get myself a set if I was starting a kitchen from scratch.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

And if you want to shallow fry stuff in the pan, smaller is better (unless it's too small), because that way you use less oil.
I guess? I mean I guess if I was frying off like, I dunno, a single scallop or something. But for most poo poo if I'm shallow frying then I don't want to min/max my way into using so little oil that adding the protein or whatever is going to crash the temperature. And in a fry pan I usually prefer wider just to help manage spattering.

I mean seriously not trying to talk you into anything here, just talking about the subject. I really can think of plenty of times where I'm using a 12" and it's kinda a tight squeeze anyway, like standard doing whatever for pasta in the fry pan and then adding the noodles at the end or whatever. Or, like, I mean sweating a onion or something.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I tried the "just use a can of canned fruit" thing in the Creami. Just dumped a can of peaches in syrup and froze it. Spun beautifully, texture is incredibly good, flavor is dilute. I think canned fruit is just too much syrup to too little fruit. Oh well, I suspect it might be worth trying again using two cans worth of fruit and only enough syrup to get a flat top.
Going to try a Philadelphia vanilla next, see how it does with just dairy/sugar/flavoring.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

You probably need to add sugar? The sugar content in the can is certainly tailored to eating it at fridge temp as opposed to froze

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010
I also picked up a Ninja Creami from the Kohl's sale... tried a S'mores ice cream, it was ok but not amazing. This week we made a caramelized banana ice cream that turned out really really good. I also attempted to make a sorbet with canned fruit but, easy as that is, I also didn't think it had enough flavor (texture was real nice tho!) so we'll work on that recipe.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For everyone getting creamis kw remember to pick up some eggnog in November/December. Works great as a pre made base. My fav was eggnog and mini cinnamon chip mixins.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
My two All-Clad pans came in. Very nice, very shiny. The 3qt S5 Pan has a very tiny 1/8” nick in the bottom but hey for 65% off an All-Clad with a lid I can’t complain. The 10” pan is flawless as far as I can tell.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Anyone noticed the anova oven consistently underbaking conventional recipes? I use the top+bottom heat setting, no steam and no fan for recipes I find elsewhere, and it always seems like things come out underdone in the center. To date I've made chocolate chip cookies, a coffee cake from SE, and a batch of beer bread. All underdone to raw in the center. Am I using the wrong heat source setting?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Test Pattern posted:

I tried the "just use a can of canned fruit" thing in the Creami. Just dumped a can of peaches in syrup and froze it. Spun beautifully, texture is incredibly good, flavor is dilute. I think canned fruit is just too much syrup to too little fruit. Oh well, I suspect it might be worth trying again using two cans worth of fruit and only enough syrup to get a flat top.
Going to try a Philadelphia vanilla next, see how it does with just dairy/sugar/flavoring.

I tried blending together:
- a can of peaches (syrup drained)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of citric acid
- a couple spoonfuls of peach jam
- enough half and half to make it equal two pint containers

worked very well, the jam and especially the acid do a good job rounding out the fruit flavor and making it seem fresher and juicier instead of the flatter tinned flavor.

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 15, 2022

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

eke out posted:

I tried blending together:
- a can of peaches (syrup drained)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of citric acid
- a couple spoonfuls of peach jam
- enough half and half to make it equal two pint containers

worked very well, the jam and especially the acid do a good job rounding out the fruit flavor and making it seem fresher and juicier instead of the flatter tinned flavor.

Thanks for tips here and above! I expected it wouldn't be great, but I learned something for the cost of a can of peaches. I have high hopes for my currently-freezing Red Zinger sorbet and simple vanilla base I'm going to use to try mixin mode.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I'm sick of scraping rice out of my instant pot. I think I'm ready to make the jump to a zojirushi

What's the cheapest way to get my hands on one that isn't just getting lucky at a goodwill?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
maybe used? craigslist or fb marketplace are easy to check.

ive finally had enough of the nonstick coating come off after 10-11 years that i need to replace the bowl but it costs almost as much as a used model with no flaking.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I got rid of my rice cooker and switched to instant pot because I got tired of the nonstick coating coming off

I dump all my dishes and utensils inside the pot and fill it with water to soak it and make the rice easier to scrub off

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Not a Children posted:

I'm sick of scraping rice out of my instant pot. I think I'm ready to make the jump to a zojirushi

What's the cheapest way to get my hands on one that isn't just getting lucky at a goodwill?

Costco had one for a while, not sure if they still do. If not try any large Asian grocery and mall type place.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Steve Yun posted:

I got rid of my rice cooker and switched to instant pot because I got tired of the nonstick coating coming off

I dump all my dishes and utensils inside the pot and fill it with water to soak it and make the rice easier to scrub off

My instant pots coating seems to be coming off, fyi.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is it nonstick?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are you putting it in the dishwasher? I know Zoji warns against doing that because it can mess up the coating.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Huh I didn’t know instant pots came with nonsticks, I thought they were all steel

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Huh I didn’t know instant pots came with nonsticks, I thought they were all steel

i think instant pot, the brand, are all stainless (with a non-stick pot available as an accessory) but some other brands of electric pressure cookers are non-stick out of the box, although there are enough models of instant pot that i wouldn't be surprised if there was an exception

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I just got a “used” Neuro Fuzzy from Amazon a few days ago for a hair under $200, down from $280 for the 10 cup model. Everything was wrapped in plastic like new including the stickers that have to be removed before first use, so I’m not sure why this one got returned, but I’m glad I saw it when I did.

mystes
May 31, 2006

hypnophant posted:

i think instant pot, the brand, are all stainless (with a non-stick pot available as an accessory) but some other brands of electric pressure cookers are non-stick out of the box, although there are enough models of instant pot that i wouldn't be surprised if there was an exception
I want to say the basic non-air fryer models used to come with nonstick inner pots as of a few years ago but I could be wrong. They definitely all seem to come with stainless now.

Edit: it seems like I must have been thinking of another brand or something since I can't find any evidence that any instant pots ever came with the ceramic inner pots

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 17, 2022

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
i’ve seen an insignia instant pot style cooker that had a nonstick inner pot, and i think i read the ninja ones do too, so maybe that’s what you’re thinking of. my very basic black friday sale model from a few years ago has the stainless.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah actually I think it may have been a ninja one that I was eyeing before I bought an instant pot now that you mention it.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
instant pot do sell a ceramic inner pot, but I still ended up going back to a rice cooker for rice

I do eat a lot of rice though so ymmv

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I started using brushes instead of sponges to clean dishes, after reading someone say 'just use brushes' when I googled 'how to stop sponges getting stinky so fast' (I used to microwave them in water to extend their life). Am I wearing away my non-stick coatings by washing with brushes? e.g. my rice cooker pot.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

redreader posted:

I started using brushes instead of sponges to clean dishes, after reading someone say 'just use brushes' when I googled 'how to stop sponges getting stinky so fast' (I used to microwave them in water to extend their life). Am I wearing away my non-stick coatings by washing with brushes? e.g. my rice cooker pot.

Depends on the brush more than anything else. A grill brush will destroy nonstick coatings. A dishwashing brush that doesn't have ultrastiff bristles should be fine.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Shooting Blanks posted:

Depends on the brush more than anything else. A grill brush will destroy nonstick coatings. A dishwashing brush that doesn't have ultrastiff bristles should be fine.

yeah as long as its not steel wool it should be fine.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

this is the life, right up until you want some rice to go with a pressure cooker dish :argh:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Looking at nonstick coatings destroys them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I generally just wipe my rice cooker pot down with a chux - it's the only piece of nonstick that I own, but it seems to last pretty well (4 years 3-5 uses a week)