Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

actionjackson posted:

yeah but you prob have decent public transit, we don't

You have public transit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Smythe posted:

does anyone have the quote comparing cares to stately beachfront villas? i'd like to read it again. :cheerdoge:

was it this https://unevenearth.org/2018/08/the-social-ideology-of-the-motorcar/

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

yes! thank you!

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

ArmZ posted:

any use case for an ebike is better served by either a real bike or a motorcycle

Assuming a high end estimate of 80kg co2 emitted to produce a 600Wh li-ion battery for an ebike, and like 100g of co2 being emitted per full charge to travel like 100km, we can compared that to a 200cc motorbike which produces 12kg of co2 every 100km so... no you're a loving idiot

e. I hosed this up, 100-200kg of co2 emitted per 1kwh battery is for high voltage EV batteries so the battery production emission estimate is way too high

El Pollo Blanco has issued a correction as of 02:14 on May 17, 2022

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Assuming a high end estimate of 80kg co2 emitted to produce a 600Wh li-ion battery for an ebike, and like 100g of co2 being emitted per full charge to travel like 100km, we can compared that to a 200cc motorbike which produces 12kg of co2 every 100km so... no you're a loving idiot

e. I hosed this up, 100-200kg of co2 emitted per 1kwh battery is for high voltage EV batteries so the battery production emission estimate is way too high

Well, what if your use case is setting off every car alarm on the street when you drive past? Try doing that on a ebike instead of a motorcycle.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

actionjackson posted:

yeah but you prob have decent public transit, we don't

:laffo:

:canada:

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Weembles posted:

Well, what if your use case is setting off every car alarm on the street when you drive past? Try doing that on a ebike instead of a motorcycle.

just take a bat with you on your ride ezpz

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Weembles posted:

i hate these guys and one day i will personally pass a city ordinance owning them. :amen:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Montreal has fairly decent mass transit doesn't it? It has a metro and they are putting in a RER like system...it isn't like Cleveland or St.Louis etc.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Ardennes posted:

Montreal has fairly decent mass transit doesn't it? It has a metro and they are putting in a RER like system...it isn't like Cleveland or St.Louis etc.

yeah it's pretty decent for north america. my biggest complaints are the current regional rail is too commuter focused in its scheduling, and for some parts of the island the only mass transit is infrequent buses. the new light rail will alleviate some of that and I look forward to trying it out this fall (even if the first line will basically just connect the central station to a suburban shopping centre)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

car alarms are so annoying. it so audacious that people can just leave their loud rear end horn blaring at all hours of the day because a different noise set it off

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

A MIRACLE posted:

car alarms are so annoying. it so audacious that people can just leave their loud rear end horn blaring at all hours of the day because a different noise set it off

Car Alarms are definitely a sign of car brain. No one gives a gently caress about your car, your car probably isn't going to be messed with, and if it is messed with the car alarm will probably not even go off.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Car Alarms are definitely a sign of car brain. No one gives a gently caress about your car, your car probably isn't going to be messed with, and if it is messed with the car alarm will probably not even go off.

Gotten into multiple arguments over saying that someone "breaking into" (read: opening an unlocked door) your car overnight was a stupid thing to care about.

Idk if I was worried about someone stealing something I would just take it inside with me instead of leaving it in the chamber windowed on all sides that stays outside on a public street.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Petanque posted:

yeah it's pretty decent for north america. my biggest complaints are the current regional rail is too commuter focused in its scheduling, and for some parts of the island the only mass transit is infrequent buses. the new light rail will alleviate some of that and I look forward to trying it out this fall (even if the first line will basically just connect the central station to a suburban shopping centre)

Yeah, a big issue with North American transit as a whole isn't actually a lack of lack coverage in suburbs (a lot of cities have commuter rail) but that agencies still run (for a variety of reasons) heavy commuter trains with diesel locomotives that are extremely expensive to run. If you electrified the line and ran much smaller/light cars (as in the rest of the world), it would be a lot easier to do normal rapid transit.

Southern California for example actually has a pretty massive commuter rail network that could also be turned into a RER system and probably remake how the entire region interacts but because they are using commuter heavy rail, tickets are expensive (5-7 bucks) and service is very infrequent and usually limited to regular commuter hours. If anything it is desperately needed but it is just never going to happen because well America.

The Rem is interesting because it is taking the old right-way of one of those lines (at least a portion) and simply turning it into rapid transit. Toronto is also electrifying some lines which should help as well as Ottawa is making some progress. Basically, Canada (at least Quebec/Ontario) is making some pretty decent progress while the US just sort of sits there.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, a big issue with North American transit as a whole isn't actually a lack of lack coverage in suburbs (a lot of cities have commuter rail) but that agencies still run (for a variety of reasons) heavy commuter trains with diesel locomotives that are extremely expensive to run. If you electrified the line and ran much smaller/light cars (as in the rest of the world), it would be a lot easier to do normal rapid transit.

Yeah and in a place like Calgary where there never was commuter heavy rail, you'll find effective light rail systems, but ones that are exclusively designed to move workers to downtown in the morning, and out of it in evening. Everybody who doesn't live close enough to walk to a rail station drives there because the bus service is atrocious (30 minute intervals, winding circuitous routes through suburbs), and if you want to get anywhere outside of that operational peak, or god forbid off the train network (a category which includes the airport) be prepared for that trip to take 2+ hours.

They're working at making things better, but progress is unbelievably slow.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
my favourite is the endless stream of people on FB complaining about someone “breaking into” their unlocked car stealing important poo poo they left in it overnight. if I left an unlocked storage container on the street overnight with my important crap in it I’d be laughed at when it was inevitably stolen.

then those people post in grave tones about how the neighbourhood is going to hell as if this is a new development.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah and in a place like Calgary where there never was commuter heavy rail, you'll find effective light rail systems, but ones that are exclusively designed to move workers to downtown in the morning, and out of it in evening. Everybody who doesn't live close enough to walk to a rail station drives there because the bus service is atrocious (30 minute intervals, winding circuitous routes through suburbs), and if you want to get anywhere outside of that operational peak, or god forbid off the train network (a category which includes the airport) be prepared for that trip to take 2+ hours.

They're working at making things better, but progress is unbelievably slow.

Yeah, Portland for its reputation isn’t that different, it has a airport line at least but most of its light rail just goes to relatively unimportant locations where land was cheap or already owned. Most light rail in the US is pretty much the same. Buses are also about every 20-30 minutes in Portland as well.

I would say the big difference is that Quebec (well Montreal) and Ontario generally seem to be pushing more for a international standard. Vancouver seems somewhere in between.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

last summer in LA was amazing. the buses and subway were totally free no tap card required to get on at all. I would just step outside in my semi-urban neighborhood and a bus would come along within seconds and whisk me up an down the grid here. public transit was still super dead cause of covid so it felt like my personal driver lol. sometimes I would just hop on an do like 2 blocks if I was feeling lazy. it was great. free buses again please

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Out of a Trimet’s 1.8b budget, only 77 million came from operating revenue (ie fares and advertising). Fare box returns are minimal at this point and most agencies probably going get away with it without too much cost (the feds could cover it with a relatively small grant) but it will never happen.

Basically, good things are very possible, it is purposefully not allowed to happen.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

PittTheElder posted:

:lol: $1.65/L? that's not even very expensive

i see you said liter, thats a giveaway

so cute when foreigners cannot wrap around the freakish american absurdities such as they drive pretty much on avg of 6 hours a day with enormous trucks thats basically just designed to be a fuel tanker that feeds itself while going for 35 miles to the gallon

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

My dude I live in Alberta, you just described 80% of the people who live here. Our provincial animal is the F150 rolling coal on sedans.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ardennes posted:

Southern California for example actually has a pretty massive commuter rail network that could also be turned into a RER system and probably remake how the entire region interacts but because they are using commuter heavy rail, tickets are expensive (5-7 bucks) and service is very infrequent and usually limited to regular commuter hours. If anything it is desperately needed but it is just never going to happen because well America.

The Rem is interesting because it is taking the old right-way of one of those lines (at least a portion) and simply turning it into rapid transit. Toronto is also electrifying some lines which should help as well as Ottawa is making some progress. Basically, Canada (at least Quebec/Ontario) is making some pretty decent progress while the US just sort of sits there.

It's not like the ones which have already transitioned from diesel locals run their systems any differently. For example, SEPTA axed all their non-electrified lines decades ago. They already have all the framework to run RER service but they're still stuck in a 1950s 9-5 commuter mentality.

*Cries in Vukan Vuchic*

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

duomo posted:

It's not like the ones which have already transitioned from diesel locals run their systems any differently. For example, SEPTA axed all their non-electrified lines decades ago. They already have all the framework to run RER service but they're still stuck in a 1950s 9-5 commuter mentality.

*Cries in Vukan Vuchic*

Caltrain is at least electrifying and upping its service schedule. But yeah, in the SEPTA, Philadelphia also has a pass-through tunnel but they (elected officials) just clearly were starving purposefully the system of funding even through they have pretty much everything ready for a rapid regional system. There is plans to increase service by...2045.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 21:58 on May 17, 2022

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Found maps of how people commute in the United States

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/infrastructure/a24136/united-states-commuter-map/

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0166083#pone-0166083-g002

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
New kind of public transit just dropped

https://twitter.com/RallexRingtail/status/1526669309799710720

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

The best part of this is that waterslide mass transit dude gets to be on the ballot, and Nicolas Kristof doesn't.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
put new brake pads on my bike today, amazing how enjoyable bike maintenance is compared to a car where even something as simple as changing a blown bulb is a loving mission because whoever designed the housing didn't think anyone would ever need to access it easily

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Lastgirl posted:

i see you said liter, thats a giveaway

so cute when foreigners cannot wrap around the freakish american absurdities such as they drive pretty much on avg of 6 hours a day with enormous trucks thats basically just designed to be a fuel tanker that feeds itself while going for 35 miles to the gallon

lol that 35MPG figure is bait :laugh:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Imagine that every drive is 2-3 times as long and you also have to pay for health insurance

you left this out

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

El Pollo Blanco posted:

put new brake pads on my bike today, amazing how enjoyable bike maintenance is compared to a car where even something as simple as changing a blown bulb is a loving mission because whoever designed the housing didn't think anyone would ever need to access it easily

told my dad I'd change his headlight bulb because it'd only take a second. I ended up taking the grille off so I could remove the headlamp housing bolts just to get the sliver of clearance I needed to clip the new bulb in place.

designed by a sociopath.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Love to spend 10 hours in line for a water slide so I can get take a worse alternative to a bus across a bridge.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Horace posted:

told my dad I'd change his headlight bulb because it'd only take a second. I ended up taking the grille off so I could remove the headlamp housing bolts just to get the sliver of clearance I needed to clip the new bulb in place.

designed by a sociopath.

On a Prius you can’t even take just the bulb out, you have to replace the entire assembly. I think Teslas are designed so you pretty much can’t replace anything on your own.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Awesome.

Does someone have plans for steel roller coaster transit? Like a train, but kickin rad and with loops.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Ardennes posted:

On a Prius you can’t even take just the bulb out, you have to replace the entire assembly. I think Teslas are designed so you pretty much can’t replace anything on your own.

Teslas have a diagnostic jack on the driver's door. If you plug anything into it, your car snitches on you and they threaten to void your warranty

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Clark Nova posted:

lol that 35MPG figure is bait :laugh:

yeah the real carbrain ogs hit 60, 90 on a good day

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

El Pollo Blanco posted:

tell me about it, i've accumulated a bunch of tools and a bike stand and am tinkering with something or another pretty much every weekend on my bikes because it's fun and easy. whereas i never so much learned how to change the oil on a car. didn't want to get under that thing. it might slip off the jack and crush me

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Okay this I like

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Just had a chance to test ride the bike boat trailer I knocked together over the weekend.

Pulls an 70lb sailboat like a dream. Can't wait to pull up to the boat ramp next to a bunch of bro trucks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bike boat rules. Is that an El Toto?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Just had a chance to test ride the bike boat trailer I knocked together over the weekend.

Pulls an 70lb sailboat like a dream. Can't wait to pull up to the boat ramp next to a bunch of bro trucks.

owns