Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Gluck is up there with the Hero of the South right now with flashback characters. Just a very interesting man and it seemed like the only people he cared about towards the end were Denken, his daughter, and though he might not realize it, Macht himself. I'm sure he cared about Weisse in a general sense, but his real drive from the start was revenge and the protection of his last close relative, his daughter, Lekture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I Am Fowl posted:

Gluck is up there with the Hero of the South right now with flashback characters. Just a very interesting man and it seemed like the only people he cared about towards the end were Denken, his daughter, and though he might not realize it, Macht himself. I'm sure he cared about Weisse in a general sense, but his real drive from the start was revenge and the protection of his last close relative, his daughter, Lekture.

That's my reading as well. I do want to believe Macht has some fondness for Gluck though.

Honestly, the whole sequence with the bracelet made me laugh. The way Gluck immediately recognizes this thing isn't going to do poo poo is hilarious.

This was a fantastic flashback. But it seems that Macht is still pretty much unbeatable. Unless the way he keeps talking with Denken is the key to "unlocking" a facsimile of emotions.

Also note that the only time Macht isn't wearing his glorious fur coat is at the funeral. I wonder if Denken's one sided cape is a reference to Macht.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Also note that the only time Macht isn't wearing his glorious fur coat is at the funeral. I wonder if Denken's one sided cape is a reference to Macht.

He took it off in a panel like 3 or 4 chapters ago.

edit: Looking at earlier parts he didn't have it for a while, I misunderstood your point and thought you had forgotten that he can and does take it off all the time.

Chapter 84

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 11, 2022

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So

Can he reverse the gold curse or does he have a lot of fur coats

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

imo the hand sequence shows there was mutual fondness for both of them, Gluck seemed surprised Macht bothered with the gesture at all. & he really didn't have a reason to bother with lighting his last cigarette at that point. Macht'd probably just handwave it as just going through the motions but it's easy to read as actual fondness. Same with that last smile.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'm guessing they win by Decken insulting/disrespecting Gluck and causing Macht to feel malice towards him

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

These characters rule, and, this comic rules

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Had to tell a customer today that we didn’t have any copies of Frieren because I bought the only one sent to us

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 93
Sadly, month long break after this. :negative:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Macht only lives because Serie got bored. :getin:

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I think I get it now. He didn't feel malice because he thinks of the city and its citizens as frozen in stasis, and not really dead. At some subconscious level, he believes he could restore them at any time. When the upcoming battle with Frieren starts to destroy the city...

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Macht only lives because Serie got bored. :getin:

That panel where she reflects it and gives that poo poo eating grin is probably one of the best in the series lol. Just "OHHHH YO UFUCKED UP REAL BAD NOW"
I like how her reversal magic kind of works like whatshername's Cutting magic: the specifics of how it works doesnt matter, so long as it can cut (or detect a curse, in this case), it'll cut (reverse it). I think Serie liked that one in particular

Also that big grin stands out a lot in this, the manga where most emotion is expressed through simple smiles

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I didn't like Serie until now.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

it's interesting that serie doesn't really like the anti-curse magic because the incoherent and 'special' nature of it is the most "magic"-rear end thing despite that kind of thing being shown to be a big part of her view on what magic 'should' be - a special, inexplicable thing.

either way she rules

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Serie had some really weird faces here. Almost like she was off model.

It is interesting that Macht seemingly expected the bracelet to work.

rannum posted:

That panel where she reflects it and gives that poo poo eating grin is probably one of the best in the series lol. Just "OHHHH YO UFUCKED UP REAL BAD NOW"
I like how her reversal magic kind of works like whatshername's Cutting magic: the specifics of how it works doesnt matter, so long as it can cut (or detect a curse, in this case), it'll cut (reverse it). I think Serie liked that one in particular

Also that big grin stands out a lot in this, the manga where most emotion is expressed through simple smiles

I don't think the two spells are quite similar. Cut was a simple magic, but was insanely overpowered for that girl in particular because she's a psycho. If she encounters something a normal scissor should be able to cut, then she will never lose. Hence why she curbstomped a rank 1 mage who used hair. Scissor beats hair.
Scissors are used to make clothes, so her cutting magic will always beat any shields made out of cloth.
Scissors can be used to cut humans, so she will cut down any living being.
It's simple and easy, but will only work for her. Which is why Serie liked her.

But this magic is just simple and weird. And ostensibly useless unless you're attacked.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Serie grinning: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

"Frieren will be on break for a month": Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Warden posted:

Serie grinning: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

"Frieren will be on break for a month": Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

Drawing that much plain emotion tired the artist out

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Serie had some really weird faces here. Almost like she was off model.

It is interesting that Macht seemingly expected the bracelet to work.

I don't think the two spells are quite similar. Cut was a simple magic, but was insanely overpowered for that girl in particular because she's a psycho. If she encounters something a normal scissor should be able to cut, then she will never lose. Hence why she curbstomped a rank 1 mage who used hair. Scissor beats hair.
Scissors are used to make clothes, so her cutting magic will always beat any shields made out of cloth.
Scissors can be used to cut humans, so she will cut down any living being.
It's simple and easy, but will only work for her. Which is why Serie liked her.

But this magic is just simple and weird. And ostensibly useless unless you're attacked.

My understanding is that it was additionally also that she made that 'someone should cut your hair' comment at just the right time and basically convinced hair mage's subconscious that cut magic would best hair magic as well, without that you'd be pitting their beliefs against each other.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Squidster posted:

I think I get it now. He didn't feel malice because he thinks of the city and its citizens as frozen in stasis, and not really dead. At some subconscious level, he believes he could restore them at any time. When the upcoming battle with Frieren starts to destroy the city...

Denken is gonna teach him feelings by attacking Gluck's statue.I don't know if the feeling will be malice, guilt or sadness though

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Macht is fairly unique in that he's using other demon's magic and trying to fight like a person with a variety of spells. Serie implies that she was intentionally leaving him alone until he turned the city into gold and couldn't tolerate the risk anymore.

Ending with Macht's other weirdo demon friend showing up and going on a month hiatus is rough.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

So Macht can't reverse his gold curse on people because he doesn't understand them? So, if saving the city is at all possible, Macht needs just enough understanding to be able to reverse his curse but not enough that the artifact kills him.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

The junk collector posted:

Macht is fairly unique in that he's using other demon's magic and trying to fight like a person with a variety of spells. Serie implies that she was intentionally leaving him alone until he turned the city into gold and couldn't tolerate the risk anymore.

Ending with Macht's other weirdo demon friend showing up and going on a month hiatus is rough.

Another thing with Macht is that Serie thinks he might be on the cusp of becoming a person rather than a monster, her statements are more a challenge to Macht, if Macht can figure out how to reverse his magic on things other than himself and his possessions, he would cross that line, and then probably die to the magical doom cuffs.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's on a month hiatus because nobody donates. :colbert:

Not that I have.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

It's just Frieren processing the memories.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

Another thing with Macht is that Serie thinks he might be on the cusp of becoming a person rather than a monster, her statements are more a challenge to Macht, if Macht can figure out how to reverse his magic on things other than himself and his possessions, he would cross that line, and then probably die to the magical doom cuffs.

Why would turning the city back kill him? That's an act of kindness.

reignonyourparade posted:

My understanding is that it was additionally also that she made that 'someone should cut your hair' comment at just the right time and basically convinced hair mage's subconscious that cut magic would best hair magic as well, without that you'd be pitting their beliefs against each other.

I don't think she said anything to the guy in the invincible cloak before cutting him in half. In that case I think it's more of amatter of whose belief is the strongest.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ninjoatse.cx posted:

It's on a month hiatus because nobody donates. :colbert:

Not that I have.

Honestly at this point I'm not sure how long their mom has been sick it's just a constant of the universe. I hope she's well but I blank out those messages whenever I see them.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Brought To You By posted:

Honestly at this point I'm not sure how long their mom has been sick it's just a constant of the universe. I hope she's well but I blank out those messages whenever I see them.

Er
Thats kirei cake, the translator.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Er
Thats kirei cake, the translator.

I thought that was the donation being referred too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Huzzah! posted:

Sadly, month long break after this. :negative:

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving manga IMO

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

It's on hiatus in the magazine. It returns in issue 29. This was issue 25.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

It's on hiatus in the magazine. It returns in issue 29. This was issue 25.

Well I was tying to to imply that I think they deserve that break, since they make such good work.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Brought To You By posted:

yeah hi that's how chronic conditions work, I've been taking care of my mom for almost two decades now and the thing about debilitating conditions is they often don't just get better over time. Also very expensive!

So I can understand them saying that every time, because it's not like it just goes away

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

reignonyourparade posted:

You know, that's probably why her hair is so long. She doesn't cut it, just to further cement the idea of her hair magic's strength. Even getting a slight trim would weaken her concept of her magic.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Having magical long flowing hair must be convenient for many things, but i dread the effort needed to wash it thoroughly

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Eeepies posted:

Having magical long flowing hair must be convenient for many things, but i dread the effort needed to wash it thoroughly

Just use Hair Cleaning and Conditioning Magic lmao

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Just use Hair Cleaning and Conditioning Magic lmao

Unfortunately Serie is hogging that for herself and won't share. :v:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The hair can clean itself

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
With the characters having flat expressions for so long, Serie's face was really shocking.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I Am Fowl posted:

With the characters having flat expressions for so long, Serie's face was really shocking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WSe9ugpXIw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Serie is a real fuckin creep and if this series ends up having a big bad it will absolutely be her.