Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

BisterdDave posted:

Kate was cool as hell! Good story, great characters, awesome action scenes. If you're looking for a good Jane Wick film, this is it.

It was the clear winner of the 4(?) lady assassin movies that came out within about a month of one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Two episodes into the Kids in the Hall revival. Enjoying it, but still haven't laughed as hard as I smiled when that theme song first kicked in.

EDIT: Also, surprising amount of peen.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 17, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Modern Leper posted:

Two episodes into the Kids in the Hall revival. Enjoying it, but still haven't laughed as hard as I smiled when that theme song first kicked in.

d'oh, i forgot about it.

watching now!!!!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The Modern Leper posted:

EDIT: Also, surprising amount of peen.

How does it compare to the amount in Jackass Forever

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, it really felt good hearing that Kids in the Hall theme going, real sentimental and nostalgic hearin that and seein them as old men. I havent gotten that far into it but it seemed solid.

And i agree regarding Old being stupid and awkward but kinda fun and charming. I just like that it's a movie someone actually made. Don't get me wrong, it's not like, reaaally a recommend, but I like a low to mid budget sci-fi film committed to its weird stupid concept.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Nihonniboku posted:

How does it compare to the amount in Jackass Forever

I was never much of a Jackass guy, but I can't imagine it's close.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
She Hulk starts August 17 on Disney Plus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gim2kprjL50

Looks fun, but the CG She Hulk is looking a little uncanny valley

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

takin a break from Fargo s4 to watch Lincoln lawyer: the series

This show was obviously sponsored by the new Lincoln SUV. They put a loving car commercial in the middle of the episode lmao.

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 18, 2022

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
stronk green lady

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Nihonniboku posted:

And no amount of authoritarian tolerance is going to change that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nihonniboku posted:

i feel like i'll watch this and be like "well this would be great if it didn't have all the stupid marvel baggage in it"

mystes
May 31, 2006

precision posted:

i feel like i'll watch this and be like "well this would be great if it didn't have all the stupid marvel baggage in it"
No marvel baggage? Okay, it sounds like you're asking for a baby yoda cameo.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

Jesus that looks terrible.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Nihonniboku posted:

Wonky cgi aside this seems pretty awesome

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Lincoln lawyer is … fine. It’s like Goliath lite. Just watch Goliath if you haven’t seen that

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There are a lot of Lincoln Lawyer books… is the TV show doing the same one as the movie?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

no this ones about a billionaire game developer murderer guy

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

The depth of field in the establishing shots (Lincoln Lawyer) drove me nuts. Every single one.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

lol, they keep throwing in like, grainy film effects and other weird poo poo that doesn't make sense in context

they did get all the LA on location shots correct at least. and the geography makes sense in dialogue... its bare minimum of course but that poo poo does throw me off when they get it wrong

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry, I've never seen the movie, read the books or watched this new show. Are you telling me that the title "The Lincoln Lawyer" is not about a Abraham Lincoln-eque lawyer, but is instead about a lawyer who drives a Lincoln automobile? That would be absolutely wild.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

no, he doesn't drive it, someone else drives it and he works in the back seat with all of his papers and poo poo. he's cool his friends are a motorcycle gang

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Also the Lincoln Lawyer book series is written by the same guy who did the Bosch book series, to the point where the books have crossovers. I haven't seen the Netflix series yet, but I'm going in with the assumption that this is going to be their sloppy Bosch clone.

None of this matters, because the material itself (book and TV show) passes through you like a zephyr and you immediately forget anything about it after you finish watching.

I watched a few seasons of Goliath and bounced off of it, it was too... theatrical? Dramatic? Surreal? for my tastes. I get why people like it but I like my crime shows to be a little on the bland and grounded side. I'm watching that stuff to unwind, not get all depressed and weirded out when Beau Bridges has an Amadeus-flavored hallucinatory death scene.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh duh that's right, i forgot that Lincoln Lawyer and Bosch are literally the same because the same guy wrote them haha

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Lincoln Lawyer books are for Dads even more than Bosch was.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

withak posted:

The Lincoln Lawyer books are for Dads even more than Bosch was.

dads who think they're cool because they own a hip hop CD, to be specific

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
although, to be fair, at least the protag isn't just another white dude

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Have films ever been made with ad breaks, or is this a potential new Rubicon that we could be crossing with ad supported streaming tiers?

Typically the pipeline for a film to be aired on, say, free TV, would involve the films are edited into single units, which then have their airing rights sold to a chanel, which then re edits them into ad breaks. Or, at least, that's my experience of it.

But with the way streaming works, are we gonna see more, or possible all non-theatrically released films, come with built-in ad breaks?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Open Source Idiom posted:

Have films ever been made with ad breaks, or is this a potential new Rubicon that we could be crossing with ad supported streaming tiers?

Typically the pipeline for a film to be aired on, say, free TV, would involve the films are edited into single units, which then have their airing rights sold to a chanel, which then re edits them into ad breaks. Or, at least, that's my experience of it.

But with the way streaming works, are we gonna see more, or possible all non-theatrically released films, come with built-in ad breaks?

Made-for-TV movies existed before streaming.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Film reels are more or less 15-20 minutes and some filmmakers would pace their act structure for the reel change.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ruddiger posted:

Film reels are more or less 15-20 minutes and some filmmakers would pace their act structure for the reel change.

it seems to me that blockbuster movies are still paced this way, i think people got used to having that "break, then there's a quiet scene that doesn't matter very much" right at predictable intervals

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

precision posted:

it seems to me that blockbuster movies are still paced this way, i think people got used to having that "break, then there's a quiet scene that doesn't matter very much" right at predictable intervals

I mean, that's just building the rollercoaster. Once you get over 80 minutes, you need a couple of slow points before you start ratcheting things up again or it just gets exhausting. The question is how much effort your writers and director put into those moments for things like character development.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Films have been made with intermissions.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Films have been made with intermissions.

Right. It used to be a really big thing - there's a mini-climax or turning point, the curtains draw across the screen, the lights go up, everyone grabs a drink or goes to the toilet and then the second part starts.

I'm not sure when and why this disappeared. I'd guess cinemas wanted to schedule more films, so there was a pressure towards reducing length.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

nonathlon posted:

Right. It used to be a really big thing - there's a mini-climax or turning point, the curtains draw across the screen, the lights go up, everyone grabs a drink or goes to the toilet and then the second part starts.

I'm not sure when and why this disappeared. I'd guess cinemas wanted to schedule more films, so there was a pressure towards reducing length.
Still happens in India!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

nonathlon posted:

Hateful Eight roadshow, baby

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Master and Commander was the only movie I remember which had an actual intermission when I worked at a theater.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
more films should have intermissions. i can't really think of many movies that don't have a point where you could stop and say "okay let's all pee so we can actually enjoy the last reel"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i mean seriously, even if you don't drink during the movie, the human body is usually gonna need to pee once every 2 hours, and most people don't go 2+ hours without drinking anything either

it's just madness. madness i tell you

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I just run really fast. If you see a dude sprinting from the bathroom to the beer stand during the last witchhunter that’s me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
https://runpee.com/