Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The fundamental flaw with all these arguments is that there are people who believe with unshakable certainty that the power level they like is the objectively correct one.

Thus, anything but immediately assimilating yourself, dehumanizing yourself and face to battlecruisers, is worthy of only scorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I brought my Drake posted:

I think Maro did a pretty good job.

Oh Sheldon, I didn't know you posted in this thread. (This is one of Sheldon's favorite commanders)

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Oh Sheldon, I didn't know you posted in this thread. (This is one of Sheldon's favorite commanders)

Bleah. I have a happy hippo deck and it's a great farting around deck but you have to be in the right mood for group hug.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Questing Phelddagrif is not legendary. A shame that they couldn't you know, abolish the reserve list to make the Maro card there the regular one.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/spleenface/status/1526418555322916865?s=21&t=1zslhf22RVwEDUVsJF_gpQ

Is Stormy correct or is Spleenface correct? Feels like Spleen’s math is better?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/LH-hliYIM0OjbB_1LeUUqA

The Yawgmoth in this list is just for value/discard outlet, right? I'm not missing any obvious combos?

fadam fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 17, 2022

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

fadam posted:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/LH-a

The Yawgmoth in this list is just for value/discard outlet, right? I'm not missing any obvious combos?

Dead link

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Aranan posted:

Dead link

Whoops, here it is and I'll fix above:
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/LH-hliYIM0OjbB_1LeUUqA

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

EDIT: I'm really good at forums.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I guess you can animate vehicles… sac them… and then reanimate them with Greasefang and sac them again?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

I guess you can animate vehicles… sac them… and then reanimate them with Greasefang and sac them again?

That’s true. It might be the only reasonably priced card that does both lol

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Nothing else jumps out to me. It's a really good sacrifice outlet and the deck is already running others as well.

Could just ask Jim, too. He's on Twitter and the spike feeders have a discord.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Proliferate might be relevant in 1 out of every 10 games

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

This was just spoiled for the new CL set, and it seems like the kind of thing that would fit perfectly into the above Vehicles deck if you're looking to sack and re-animate your vehicles for value.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TotalHell posted:

This was just spoiled for the new CL set, and it seems like the kind of thing that would fit perfectly into the above Vehicles deck if you're looking to sack and re-animate your vehicles for value.

If you Mirage Mirror that ship, would the ETB trigger on the copy?

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Jiro posted:

No, because it was already on the battlefield, it didn't enter it.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Jiro posted:

Does mirage mirror enter the battlefield?

Some copy effects "enter as" and other copy effects become. If something "enters as" it enters as and triggers etbs. If something is already on the board and just becomes something else, it's not entering.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Jiro posted:

Worth noting also that you would not be able to copy it and then pop a card exiled by the other ship.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

If I Greasefang that back, hit a player, exile a yard with two creatures in it, reanimate one, then find a way to put the ship back in my yard, if I reanimate it again next turn and connect can I bring a creature from the first exile back?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

fadam posted:

If I Greasefang that back, hit a player, exile a yard with two creatures in it, reanimate one, then find a way to put the ship back in my yard, if I reanimate it again next turn and connect can I bring a creature from the first exile back?

Nope, sorry. Those were exiled with a "different" card.

If it worked like Dauthi Voidwalker you could do that, however.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

fadam posted:

Mostly wizards is doing a better job differentiating these scenarios, though not always. A lot of things that allow you to exile and play use counters.

Dauthi Voidwalker is an interesting example, it can be sacrificed to play any card exiled that is owned by an opponent with a void counter on it.

This means, in a 4 player game if players A, B have voidwalkers.
A can sacrifice their voidwalker to play cards in exile with void counters on them owned by players B,C,D
B can sacrifice their voidwalker to play cards in exile with void counters on them owned by A,C,D

Haldan and Pako use fetch counters, but your Haldan can only play things with fetch counters you exiled. So Haldan or Pako can die repeatedly. You can also use your Haldan to play cards exiled with your opponents Pako if you take control of them.

There can also be multiple cases of the same counters coming from different cards. It's not playing from exile, but both Mari, the Killing Queen and Etrata, the Silence care about hit counters.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/spleenface/status/1526418555322916865?s=21&t=1zslhf22RVwEDUVsJF_gpQ

Is Stormy correct or is Spleenface correct? Feels like Spleen’s math is better?

Stormy's reasoning is insane. In a ~100 card deck, each land you add makes the probability of drawing a land ~1% higher. Stormy says, 5 percentage points or less is insignificant, and doesn't matter. Taking that logic ad nauseum, the difference between 27 and 26 is also only 1%, which doesn't matter, so you might as well take out a land. And then the difference between 26 and 25 lands is also only one percentage point, so you might as well take a land. Etc., until you've got no lands in your deck. Obviously that's dumb. The nature of the error is this: you draw more than one card over the course of a game of Magic. 1% adds up, when you've drawn 10-12 cards over the course of a game (including the opening hand). Certainly the 5% between the 27 and 32 land decks they were talking about is pretty significant over those same 10-12 trials. Stormy did a superficial analysis, saw a number that looked "insignificant" based on their gut sense of probabilities, and didn't bother to consider the context of that calculation.

Spleen is looking at a much more relevant metric, and their numbers demonstrate well the statistical difference between the 27 and 32 land decks that Stormy was talking about. Their statement that Stormy's error stems from rounding the opening hands is incorrect though - that was a weird and mathematically unjustified thing to do, for sure, but it doesn't particularly affect the main error that Stormy was making.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Some Commander Baldur's Gate cards here:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/commander-legends-battle-baldurs-gate-product-overview-2022-05-17

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/collecting-commander-legends-battle-baldurs-gate-2022-05-17

E:

Can't believe they did Elminster dirty like that.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 18, 2022

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I'm not up on my Baldur's Gate stuff who is he and why was he done dirty?

Also holy poo poo that bramble sovereign is nuts

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Elminster is a dumb loser so he shouldn't even get a card. :colbert:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Aranan posted:

Elminster is a dumb loser so he shouldn't even get a card. :colbert:

We better get a Halaster card

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

TotalHell posted:

lol are they pulling from Spelljammer now

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Jiro posted:

Isn't it just Mono G Riku?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Isn't that where Minsc and Boo are from?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
nah they're from baldur's gate in the forgotten realms

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Jiro posted:

He was like someone's character from D&D campaigns that got incorporated into the lore. He's a dumb uber-powerful Gandalf ripoff, but like, the kind of Gandalf that quit smoking the leaf and just became even more insufferable.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

That ship is the first stage in Baldur's Gate 3.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Real answer: Elminster is a character that Ed Greenwood, one of the early writers for novels set in Forgotten Realms, came up with. He was basically a cliche Gandalf/Merlin knock-off and felt very Mary Sue. He's stuck around for decades now and pops up in the setting/stories from time to time. I haven't kept up with that stuff in the last ~15 years, but I just remember him being super boring and ALL POWERFUL so he just kind of magicked his way out of any problems. A lot of people disliked him for that, and other people liked him because he was basically the Gandalf/Merlin of the setting.

edit: also yeah, what he said

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Hermit Druid in a Beamtown Bullies deck as a way to fill up the yard relatively quickly? Yay or nay?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

That gruul commander is kinda loving nuts

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

TotalHell posted:

this looks like it could be from a matrix crossover set

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

thalweg posted:

this looks like it could be from a matrix crossover set

Cursed words

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Silhouette posted:

That gruul commander is kinda loving nuts

Dimir too, the fact his second ability triggers regardless of where the mill came from is kinda ballsy. Especially when Blue just got a pay 5, your opponent mills 75% of their remaining library.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Batterypowered7 posted:

It's not real commander if you're not playing with custom legendary creatures drawn in your likeness.

I have these on the way:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Knot My President! posted:

I have these on the way:

N O I C E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Here, we see an Inalla turn one win. This isn't a particularly difficult combo to set up via mulligan, and, while it requires a thorough mastery of the deck to achieve, it also really isn't any fun to play against. This is a deck for tournament play, where winning at all costs is the aim so one gets the prize. Without Force of Will or similar pitch spells, the game is over as it begins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec1dxkypVkc

Just wanna say that this Inalla play is fuckin bonkers and I love this deck.