Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

God drat. I expected it to be bad, but not three POC MPs bad.

I'm going to be generous and count the Lebanese guy and the half-Chinese guy and give them 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

infernal machines posted:

But if they can't, well the Liberals are right there, and frankly not that much less conservative on many issues.

This is the really odd thing: I think basically stealing the Liberal platform and saying "we'll spend 5% less, and not play dress-up on international trips," would be a winning strategy for the CPC. Maybe it's different outside of Alberta, but amongst people I willingly spend time with, it always comes down to: "he's a rich little Eastern princeling up to his balls in corruption and he spends too much money [on what, exactly, they never specify]." It's very, very personal with them. I don't agree with that, but policy-wise I don't think there's a lot of daylight between actual Liberal policy and what a lot of the more metropolitan "gently caress Trudeau" people believe.

What the CPC should find is a Canadian version of Joe Biden. It's what the people want. I think, in terms of having a viable candidate for PM, Jean Charest would be an inspired choice and they'd be foolish to pick anyone else. I think he'd be a poo poo PM, obviously, but he'd be a force to be reckoned with in an election.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

There are at least a couple more who probably don't won't be identify identified as white if the supremacists win and they start to re-tighten the definition of white, but yeah...

The above edited for accuracy.

Non-Anglo can't be real whites, don't you know? I hate that fighting Nazis makes me sound like a conspiracy theory nut job.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

What the CPC should find is a Canadian version of Joe Biden. It's what the people want. I think, in terms of having a viable candidate for PM, Jean Charest would be an inspired choice and they'd be foolish to pick anyone else. I think he'd be a poo poo PM, obviously, but he'd be a force to be reckoned with in an election.

I mean, they already had Scheer and O'Toole, I'm not sure how much more milquetoast white-boy you can get. Charest, being very clearly French, seems like he'd have the same kind of problems as Trudeau out west.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

I mean, they already had Scheer and O'Toole, I'm not sure how much more milquetoast white-boy you can get. Charest, being very clearly French, seems like he'd have the same kind of problems as Trudeau out west.

Scheer was repellant, and O'Toole was actually quite good but did the stupid thing of trying to be all things to all people. He had a winnable election in 2021, and he hosed it up hard.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
If lil Polli Crypto is smart, he'll run on being able to bring all the PeePee's back into the fold, giving the Tories enough votes to form gov't. That's all the rightists generally care about ime; winning and thus owning the libs. They don't really care about policy on any coherent or consistent level

Bernier might settle for another cabinet post! He doesn't seem proud lol

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Doug Ford would wipe the field if he wanted to be PM

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

evilpicard posted:

Sadly, I do believe you're correct here.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

evilpicard posted:

If he has to minority govern Ontario he's gonna be a colossal piss baby about it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Another Bill posted:

If he has to minority govern Ontario he's gonna be a colossal piss baby about it

At first I couldn't see that government lasting long. But actually I can because if the OLP have enough seats to prop up Doug and friends, and not enough money to run another campaign, well, they'll do it.

While I would absolutely love to see the wailing and gnashing of teeth around a OLP/ONDP coalition government, that just ain't how things are done here.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Blood Boils posted:

If lil Polli Crypto is smart, he'll run on being able to bring all the PeePee's back into the fold, giving the Tories enough votes to form gov't. That's all the rightists generally care about ime; winning and thus owning the libs. They don't really care about policy on any coherent or consistent level

Bernier might settle for another cabinet post! He doesn't seem proud lol

Even if every single PPC vote went to the Tories that would’ve been like 6 extra seats, not enough to form government. And the only reason the PPC got as much as they did is because lockdowns/mask poo poo were dealbreakers for many voters. Assuming that’s not an issue in 2025 and the PPC has to run on their regular platform of racism, plenty of their voters will come to the CPC regardless. So I don’t really see how that’s smart for them all.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

At first I couldn't see that government lasting long. But actually I can because if the OLP have enough seats to prop up Doug and friends, and not enough money to run another campaign, well, they'll do it.

While I would absolutely love to see the wailing and gnashing of teeth around a OLP/ONDP coalition government, that just ain't how things are done here.

OLP will 100% go along with whatever Ford wants so long as it lets them memory hole the NDP being the official opposition and go back to the old "a vote for the NDP is a vote for the conservatives" BS.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

PT6A posted:

it always comes down to: "he's a rich little Eastern princeling up to his balls in corruption and he spends too much money [on what, exactly, they never specify]."

I just don't see how you can logically get from this to "let's elect a partisan hack whose life experience outside politics makes Justin Trudeau look a salt-of-the-earth everyman laborer in comparison." And that's just it, I think—there is simply no logic involved.

Another Bill posted:

We can all hope, but the polls aren't looking great at the moment.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Seen some signs in my riding from a new political party. Let's see what they're all about :

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It looks great! I hope the New Blue party finds success, and spawns some more spinoffs, like the True Blue Party and the New True Blue Party. I don't want conservative voters to lack in choices.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

eXXon posted:

It looks great! I hope the New Blue party finds success, and spawns some more spinoffs, like the True Blue Party and the New True Blue Party. I don't want conservative voters to lack in choices.

Saw a few of them in the NIMBY part of town amongst the usual Conservative signs.

I'm so glad I'm moving away from this hell hole.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

eXXon posted:

The Blue Chew party would probably solve a lot of their underlying issues.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There’s a campaign afoot to try to rehabilitate the image of the WE charity with a suspiciously expensive ad blitz for a book (by a WE board member) about how terrible it is that their important work was sabotaged by politics. They’re getting weird about it.

https://twitter.com/charlieangusndp/status/1526887276453761024?s=21&t=qGPuazFno7p1l108Oylsmg

https://twitter.com/jessebrown/status/1526741975533248512?s=21&t=qGPuazFno7p1l108Oylsmg

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_Publishing_International

quote:

Optimum continues to make global leaders, academia, the intelligence apparatus and most importantly the public about Human Rights atrocities, malign state sponsored criminal activities and influence (graft) operations targeting democracie’s political, academic and business elite through it’s Conference, multimedia and publishing divisions.

Just lol.

Not only did they clearly edit this into their own wiki article, they don't know how to spell democracy. The wiki editor is "Dean Baxter", the company's owner is "Dean Baxendale"

He also edited the We Charity scandal page and the edits are hilarious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Dean_Baxter

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Entropic posted:

There’s a campaign afoot to try to rehabilitate the image of the WE charity with a suspiciously expensive ad blitz for a book (by a WE board member) about how terrible it is that their important work was sabotaged by politics. They’re getting weird about it.

https://twitter.com/charlieangusndp/status/1526887276453761024?s=21&t=qGPuazFno7p1l108Oylsmg

https://twitter.com/jessebrown/status/1526741975533248512?s=21&t=qGPuazFno7p1l108Oylsmg

I was wondering where that was coming from. Because no one outside of WE has ever given a poo poo about WE or "the important work they do"

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Syfe posted:

Saw a few of them in the NIMBY part of town amongst the usual Conservative signs.

I'm so glad I'm moving away from this hell hole.

There's a house at the bottom of the hill by my house which has a sign. During Fed election they have a sign advertising Ezra Levant's book and a Christian Heritage Party sign. So, you know, one day, I am just gonna plant a bunch of rainbow flags on their lawn in the middle of the night.

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 18, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

TBH, sounds like the rainbow flags would probably have a bigger effect on them.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Volunteer to help take down the GAY signs from Ottawa-South after the next election, and ask if you may please keep one

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Didn't know Christina Heritage was a national party. For some reason I thought it only existed in the prairies

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Aces High posted:

Didn't know Christina Heritage was a national party. For some reason I thought it only existed in the prairies

Christina Heritage won best girl-girl scene at the 2021 AVN awards

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
this is 2 days old and already old news but:

Furnaceface posted:

I think this is the part that makes me the most mad. As far as I can tell there is no legal way for them to protect themselves from a law like this in Quebec and no one in the media seems to give enough of a gently caress to even touch on this side of the story. :(

For what it's worth, La Presse is definitely running plenty of "Bill 96 sucks and will only negatively impact refugees, Mohawk and vulnerable communities" columns, but I don't think that's going to change much in the grand scheme of things. To rural boomers, La Presse is just the mouthpiece of the filthy Montreal urbans, and Great Ethnofascist Leader Legault only ever pays attention to his loving Facebook page for approval.

I've tried leaving concerned comments on said Facebook page a couple of times but it just gets drowned out in the sea of sycophantic messages. I've had some of my Facebook friends have those messages prioritized by the almighty algorithm, though, and they replied/agreed with me in DMs about how hosed up it is that our premier is basically governing through Facebook comments.

And now he wants to issue more Legaultbux and send 500$ for the poor rurals to pay for gas, instead of putting on his big boy pants and at least attempting to say gently caress you to the oil companies raking in record profits. It's also election year, what a strange coincidence!

God, our premiers are a joke. I can't tell whether I dislike Jason Kenney, Doug Ford, Scott Moe or François Legault the most.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Arivia posted:

Christina Heritage won best girl-girl scene at the 2021 AVN awards

Wow, that's an amazing autocorrect that I'm keeping

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Gonna make sure and throw Tim Houston into the 'Premiers who suck' ring

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jan posted:

this is 2 days old and already old news but:

For what it's worth, La Presse is definitely running plenty of "Bill 96 sucks and will only negatively impact refugees, Mohawk and vulnerable communities" columns, but I don't think that's going to change much in the grand scheme of things. To rural boomers, La Presse is just the mouthpiece of the filthy Montreal urbans, and Great Ethnofascist Leader Legault only ever pays attention to his loving Facebook page for approval.

I've tried leaving concerned comments on said Facebook page a couple of times but it just gets drowned out in the sea of sycophantic messages. I've had some of my Facebook friends have those messages prioritized by the almighty algorithm, though, and they replied/agreed with me in DMs about how hosed up it is that our premier is basically governing through Facebook comments.

And now he wants to issue more Legaultbux and send 500$ for the poor rurals to pay for gas, instead of putting on his big boy pants and at least attempting to say gently caress you to the oil companies raking in record profits. It's also election year, what a strange coincidence!

God, our premiers are a joke. I can't tell whether I dislike Jason Kenney, Doug Ford, Scott Moe or François Legault the most.

Jason Kenney’s leadership review results are being announced tonight, so that could be cathartic…

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jan posted:

May I suggest throwing Heather Stefanson into that ring? Preferably if said ring is as far from Manitoba as possible?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Randalor posted:

May I suggest throwing Heather Stefanson into that ring? Preferably if said ring is as far from Manitoba as possible?

I'm sorry, the ring is just east of Winnipeg, at the longitudinal centre of Canada.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

enki42 posted:

OLP will 100% go along with whatever Ford wants so long as it lets them memory hole the NDP being the official opposition and go back to the old "a vote for the NDP is a vote for the conservatives" BS.
If the ONDP don't at least oppose an OPCP minority in the next government Horwath has to go. They'll have missed at least three open nets in a row and the earlier post about them just collecting MPP salaries for no real action will make a lot of sense.

The sad thing is I have to believe there are still good policymakers in the party, somewhere. While the OLP went for an absolutely clownshoes performative handgun ban before the writ even dropped, the ONDP platform explicitly asks "what if we tried to figure out why people think shooting each other is their best chance at upward mobility??"

It doesn't hurt that my incumbent MPP seems cool, active, and accessible, so they're getting my first ONDP vote ever based on those two things alone (three if you count my eternal stance of "gently caress Doug Ford", but even if they hadn't ratfucked Brown I think that time John Tory kamikazed himself into Don Valley West will remain my lone OPCP vote).

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 19, 2022

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

So we find out if Kenney is dropped as leader of the UCP today, yeah?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ZeeBoi posted:

So we find out if Kenney is dropped as leader of the UCP today, yeah?

4pm mountain time.

Yes i'm aware that has passed, the new time is 5:30 mountain time

Yes I'm aware that that has also passed.

Kenney showing up late to his own firing, pretty on brand.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm sorry, the ring is just east of Winnipeg, at the longitudinal centre of Canada.

But we can at least throw her into the ring, right? I mean, it's not like she does anything here anyways.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Some progress... that music however :stare:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Powershift posted:

4pm mountain time.

Yes i'm aware that has passed, the new time is 5:30 mountain time

Yes I'm aware that that has also passed.

Kenney showing up late to his own firing, pretty on brand.

Theyre just delaying while they try to figure out how to explain to everyone that they voted Kenney to be premier for life.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Theyre just delaying while they try to figure out how to explain to everyone that they voted Kenney to be premier for life.

It's announced for 6:15 now

More likely that Kenney cheated extra hard, got 91%, and wants the live news to cut to his victory speech.

If he lost they'd be announcing it during the Flames/Oilers game to bury it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Powershift posted:

It's announced for 6:15 now

More likely that Kenney cheated extra hard, got 91%, and wants the live news to cut to his victory speech.

If he lost they'd be announcing it during the Flames/Oilers game to bury it.

Lol its now past that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PT6A posted:

Lol its now past that as well.

They updated the stream graphic to 6:30

for reals this time