Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What have they got that a loaded F-150 or Hummer don't have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

I really don’t think rivian will be allowed to die. They have arguably the best/most desirable/“richest” product in its class, that just came out.

If things are looking really bad they’ll get a money infusion.

Or get bought out by someone else.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

Independant drive motors, adjustable suspension, that coveted EV speedy acceleration over the Lightning. The Hummer does those but costs 2x as much and is loving humongous.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Now that the R1T's $90k it's not all that much more to get a Hummer.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rivian will be fine, but probably only ever be a niche manufacturer.

Canoo is boned though, which sucks because they were the only ones that seemed to want to sell a skateboard.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

good looks, for one

darnon posted:

Independant drive motors, adjustable suspension, that coveted EV speedy acceleration over the Lightning. The Hummer does those but costs 2x as much and is loving humongous.

also all of this^^^, plus much better driving performance on-road and off-road, it’s much smaller than the Hummer and appreciably smaller than the F150, it has a bit of an “earthier” “crunchier”, more Patagonia/North Face/Fjalraven cachet than the TROMP 2020 baggage of p much every established pickup truck brand.

Like I split my time between Boston and southern CT, and I’m already seeing a bunch around those areas, and I can only imagine that the demand for a truck like that in the wealthier neighborhoods of New England/New York must be huge, never mind when the R1S finally ships and everybody whose Land Rover/Cayenne/Q7/XC90/etc lease is up

Plus they have a lot of enthusiast buzz and that counts for something.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 18, 2022

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

darnon posted:

None of those things are proprietary technology that another automaker couldn't do themselves. There would be very little reason for one of the big companies to buy them out. And just because the Rivian does those things cheaper doesn't mean they can do it profitably. See their recent attempt to jack up prices on all orders.

Now a non-automaker who wants to get into the business? Maybe. Amazon or Apple for example.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rivian will be fine as the little cool expensive electric truck. The lighting is going to dominate the category regardless just on brand alone.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Zero One posted:

None of those things are proprietary technology that another automaker couldn't do themselves.

Apparently Ford can’t actually figure out how to build a fast accelerating EV by themselves.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Don’t make me tap the “a giant truck does not need insane acceleration, it’s just going to get people killed” sign.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Don’t make me tap the “a giant truck does not need insane acceleration, it’s just going to get people killed” sign.

Ooh tap it, tap it, I want to see what happens

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

cruft posted:

Ooh tap it, tap it, I want to see what happens

The truck loses control and crashes

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The truck loses control and crashes

I cast a spell of protection and then check the truck for salvageable items.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nothing needs to do 0-60 in less than 3 seconds (or 6 for that matter) but I don’t really think the acceleration rate of these behemoths is going to appreciably change their fatality statistics. They aren’t going to fly sideways off the road like mustangs at Cars and Coffee events due to AWD and fairly sophisticated traction control. They’re going to kill people because they are gigantic and weigh three tons and are impossible to see out of but they’ll be hitting other people and cars because the drivers are cruising along looking at their phones, not because they’re showing off launch control and launching directly into crowds of people or stopped traffic.

Every car on the road is fast enough to kill people.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

darnon posted:

A quad motor large pack Rivian is basically the same price as the base Hummer, they are in no way anywhere near 2x as much.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Apparently Ford can’t actually figure out how to build a fast accelerating EV by themselves.

They could they just don't want to.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You’re supposed to come up with a better excuse like with the BZ4X

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Biodome posted:

Anyone got thoughts on the ChargePoint Flex vs JuiceBox charging station? Our local utility is offering a $1200 rebate for both of these so deciding which to get. Anyone have experience with either one?

We've got a JuiceBox. We got it 2.5 years ago so the details are a little fuzzy, but we had problems with the networking - it crap flooded our local network when I connected it. Some people were bitching about a similar problem with Tesla chargers. Solution was to set up a guest network and let it do its thing there. I reconfigured the network sometime later and never bothered to set up the guest network again so the JuiceBox has been doing its thing un-networked ever since. It's fine. gently caress the Internet Of Things.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hexigrammus posted:

We've got a JuiceBox. We got it 2.5 years ago so the details are a little fuzzy, but we had problems with the networking - it crap flooded our local network when I connected it. Some people were bitching about a similar problem with Tesla chargers. Solution was to set up a guest network and let it do its thing there. I reconfigured the network sometime later and never bothered to set up the guest network again so the JuiceBox has been doing its thing un-networked ever since. It's fine. gently caress the Internet Of Things.

I have a Tesla charger, it doesn't get on the network. Maybe this is a new addition, but it's the first I've heard of such a thing despite trying to stay on top of developments like this.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I do kind of like the chargepoint app as well not that I have used it to control any charges yet but it is nice having the map of other nearby chargers.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

I have a juicebox. It’s fine, but the app is basically pointless. I like the long and relatively flexible cord.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

IIRC the Juice box is the only way you can prevent a LEAF from charging up to 100%.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lets check in on the Mach-E GT owners and see if they're still patiently waiting for their power increase that the Drunk Ford Engineer promised them in March.

Hmm, well that's a bit disappointing.

Well, at least it still hauls rear end below 70 mph right.

Ah. Car was missing the "Ability to go up hills" update but for some reason still didn't fix the problem.

But maybe they've gotten that OTA that improves their charging curve and stuff!

Ope.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Lets check in on the Mach-E GT owners and see if they're still patiently waiting for their power increase that the Drunk Ford Engineer promised them in March.

Hmm, well that's a bit disappointing.

Well, at least it still hauls rear end below 70 mph right.

Ah. Car was missing the "Ability to go up hills" update but for some reason still didn't fix the problem.

But maybe they've gotten that OTA that improves their charging curve and stuff!

Ope.

What a bummer. I'd be pretty upset if I'd dropped that much on something and it turned out to be something else.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Im coming off a golf R lease and am wrestling with the do I buy it out (because I really like the car) or let it go and get a used '18 or '19 Model 3. I know goons love to hate Tesla's, but I have two friends who love theirs and AFAICT there's nothing else within a 50k budget that is as fast or has as many 'autopilot' options without going to 60k.

Is this a reasonable thought, or is there another EV I should be considering?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

Im coming off a golf R lease and am wrestling with the do I buy it out (because I really like the car) or let it go and get a used '18 or '19 Model 3. I know goons love to hate Tesla's, but I have two friends who love theirs and AFAICT there's nothing else within a 50k budget that is as fast or has as many 'autopilot' options without going to 60k.

It's a reasonable thought, but the newer ones are noticeably better than 18-19s and it seems like the used prices are crazy and close to the new prices anyway.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nuts and Gum posted:

EV6 / Ioniq5 / literally anything else if your budget is 50k. Tesla has what, standard RWD model 3 as the only sub 50k model right now? And it doesn’t qualify for the EV credit.

And autopilot is an unregulated nightmare and you should not be buying a vehicle for it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Ola posted:

It's a reasonable thought, but the newer ones are noticeably better than 18-19s and it seems like the used prices are crazy and close to the new prices anyway.

I was curious about that, I found the 19's have a newer CPU or something in them that may be worth holding out for over the 18s, but I haven't checked to see what the diff is on a '20+ as those are all out of my price range.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

EV6 / Ioniq5 / literally anything else if your budget is 50k. Tesla has what, standard RWD model 3 as the only sub 50k model right now? And it doesn’t qualify for the EV credit.

And autopilot is an unregulated nightmare and you should not be buying a vehicle for it.

The EV6 is the only other EV with a good interior imo (wtf ID.4?!) but I'm not sure about availability. I reached out to 3 dealers asking for more info last week and never heard back.

A new Model 3 would deliver between aug-nov, and I'll be out of a car next month. I was mostly planning on just keeping the Golf until it cost me $70 to fill the tank yesterday.

WRT the EV credit, my understanding is that only comes into play if you owe on your taxes. So if you get a return, you do not get any of that $7500 'credit'. Is that accurate?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

afaict the "Autopilot" stuff that people use regularly would be called adaptive cruise control and lane-keeping assist in other vehicles. I agree that you should keep the $7500 credit in mind if your income qualifies (it most likely does).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm not sure I'd order a Tesla right now either but good luck finding an EV6/Ioniq 5 you can drive off the lot right now for 50k. FYI autopilot is not "Full Self Driving" Tesla's autopilot isn't really any different than what everyone else is doing with ACC and lane keeping except Tesla is probably doing it better.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm not sure I'd order a Tesla right now either but good luck finding an EV6/Ioniq 5 you can drive off the lot right now for 50k. FYI autopilot is not "Full Self Driving" Tesla's autopilot isn't really any different than what everyone else is doing with ACC and lane keeping except Tesla is probably doing it better.

Oh if we’re going by avaiability then I don’t think you can buy poo poo right now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Nuts and Gum posted:

The Golf R is a very good car, a legitimate sports car with handling chops, probably a future budget classic

The Model 3 handles like a fat heavy pig that happens to go stupid fast in a straight line. Also even if you go private seller you’re still indirectly endorsing this horseshit with your money:

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1526965699805069313?t=OtN2-aAlxx8-yu-0lVa61Q&s=19

Honestly there are so many great gas cars available now and so many great EVs coming in the next 1-4 years that I see no reason to strap into a 3 if you’re already living the sub-luxury hot hatch life

If it’s an issue of fuel economy/cost for that premium fuel, get thee a Civic Si or something equally Japanese.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 18, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FYI autopilot is not "Full Self Driving" Tesla's autopilot isn't really any different than what everyone else is doing with ACC and lane keeping except Tesla is probably doing it better.

I've heard the opposite with Teslas experiencing lurching/phantom braking issues that aren't present or as present on other vehicles.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My EV6 sometimes freaks out about shadows during stop n go traffic.

Poor car too spooked by light

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

I know goons love to hate Tesla's

I was about to post "naw, that seems to have pretty much quieted down" but then I read the rest of the posts.

Anyway, I have a 2019 Model 3 and I love it. Best car I ever owned, including the 2017 Model S.

I would absolutely not be paying for "Full Self-Driving Capability" now, but I did pay for it back in 2019 because it was the same cost as red paint.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm not really sure what I posted qualifies as "hating on Teslas" but maybe the bar is that low

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

I'm not really sure what I posted qualifies as "hating on Teslas" but maybe the bar is that low

I wouldn't say what you posted qualifies either, for the record.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tiny Timbs posted:

I've heard the opposite with Teslas experiencing lurching/phantom braking issues that aren't present or as present on other vehicles.

I heard they fixed it with an OTA in March but what I can say from personal experience is that Tesla's lane keeping is lightyears beyond Ford's and probably also Honda's and I haven't experienced any phantom braking in my test drives.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Nuts and Gum posted:

I was curious about that, I found the 19's have a newer CPU or something in them that may be worth holding out for over the 18s, but I haven't checked to see what the diff is on a '20+ as those are all out of my price range.

The EV6 is the only other EV with a good interior imo (wtf ID.4?!) but I'm not sure about availability. I reached out to 3 dealers asking for more info last week and never heard back.

A new Model 3 would deliver between aug-nov, and I'll be out of a car next month. I was mostly planning on just keeping the Golf until it cost me $70 to fill the tank yesterday.

WRT the EV credit, my understanding is that only comes into play if you owe on your taxes. So if you get a return, you do not get any of that $7500 'credit'. Is that accurate?

The EV credit is not-quote-right on two fronts: The $7500 reduces your taxes owed, so it can increase your return by that amount. If you owe less than $7500, the credit only goes up to what you owe. I paid ~$20,000 last year for federal taxes.

Unfortunately, there's a cap of 250,000 per automaker of how many credits can be claimed. Tesla hit their cap years ago. So even thought I bought a Model Y last year and paid more than $7,500 in taxes, I get zero rebate for buying an EV. Other automakers haven't hit that cap yet, and it's got a wonky phase-out schedule once automakers hit the cap. So buying an EV may reduce your taxes next year, if you can get one in calendar year 2022.

Also, it only applies to new cars. If you buy a used car, you get nothing federally. State and local incentives may or may not apply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wizard of the Deep posted:

If you owe less than $7500, the credit only goes up to what you owe.

iirc this is something like anyone who makes more than $40k or so barring special situations. Should be pretty easy to verify though

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 18, 2022