Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

So I wanted to take my ER4s on a long plane trip and discovered that the cable is completely hosed. I replaced the 3.5mm jack but the right side was still refusing to play. Turns out the cable is also broken near the splitter, too, and is completely beyond repair.

Does anyone know where it's possible to get the older type two pin cable like this? Idealy that would ship internationally.

All I found is some old threads and AliExpress sellers but it all seems somewhat questionable.

I'm unfamiliar with that specific 2-pin config. Might be manufacturer specific?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Yeah, that's etymotic's old 2-pin system that they haven't used in quite a long time.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

My Jabra Elite 65T is on its last legs - what are the recommended true wireless now for workouts and stuff? Main thing is basically strong bluetooth connectivity and is at least slightly waterproof to take sweat into account. I assume the newer Jabra Elites can fit the bill? But I want to see what the other good options are.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

So I wanted to take my ER4s on a long plane trip and discovered that the cable is completely hosed. I replaced the 3.5mm jack but the right side was still refusing to play. Turns out the cable is also broken near the splitter, too, and is completely beyond repair.

Does anyone know where it's possible to get the older type two pin cable like this? Idealy that would ship internationally.

All I found is some old threads and AliExpress sellers but it all seems somewhat questionable.

Lunashops sells cables with that connector. I would recommend getting a 4 or 8 core version, I got an etymotic 16 core cable from them and it’s pretty thick. It is very nicely made and sounds good though, just hard to wrap around my ear wearing it up.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Artelier posted:

My Jabra Elite 65T is on its last legs - what are the recommended true wireless now for workouts and stuff? Main thing is basically strong bluetooth connectivity and is at least slightly waterproof to take sweat into account. I assume the newer Jabra Elites can fit the bill? But I want to see what the other good options are.

Since you didn't specify a budget :v:
https://www.astellnkern.com/product/product_detail.jsp?productNo=131

Alternatively if you like what you're using I think Jabra still sell new ones.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
don't actually buy astell and kern stuff please

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Got Chus, Chus good, and since my weird ears require different size tips each side I could put spring tips on my Aria too.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Wrong thread whoops.

Edit - may as well salvage this post. I ordered some Raptgo Hook-X open backed IEMs with the funky hybrid drivers. Mostly because I wanted some open back wired IEMs. Still in the mail but I'll write about how good/terrible they are after experiencing them.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 11, 2022

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Sony announced the XM5s, releasing on the 20th of May. Looks like they shrunk the drivers though, from 40mm in all the prior models to 30mm. Seems like a negative, but I guess time will tell

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
driver size doesn't mean anything

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I get a bunch of iem stuff including etymotic cables from aliexpress and never had an issue, for what it's worth. You could maybe find one on amazon, but in all likelihood it's the same people in china just selling through different shops.

trem_two posted:

Lunashops sells cables with that connector. I would recommend getting a 4 or 8 core version, I got an etymotic 16 core cable from them and it’s pretty thick. It is very nicely made and sounds good though, just hard to wrap around my ear wearing it up.
All right , thanks, I'll just check what works out the best out of the Ali/Lunashop options.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yeah, that's etymotic's old 2-pin system that they haven't used in quite a long time.

:corsair:

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
I currently have some of the first generation Microsoft Surface Headphones that I really enjoy. I also have some Shure SE215 bluetooth IEMs that were great when I bought then in like 2017 but are now failing and a little outdated feature wise.

I am not looking for some IEMs that I can wear in the office or on a run or bike ride or listen to stuff while I am generally doing things. Basically looking for some alternative to the Surface Headphones but in IEM format.

Here's what I want:
-Easy enough transition to switch connections between multiple connected devices. (Windows/Android and maybe ios)
-Some level of water/sweat resistance so I can wear them outside and while exercising.
-Will stay in ear when moving/exercising.
-A couple hours of battery life. I think everything has a little charging case now so that is fine.
-Some level of noise cancellation would be nice.
-Ability to not block all noise around when when I don't want to. Like maintain some level of awareness when I am out and about.

I was looking at:
-LG Tone Free FP9s. (on sale for $130)
-Sony Linkbuds ($180)
-Jabra Elite # Active? ($120-180)
-There are so many others.

There are a ton of options and I am facing some analysis paralysis. Is there some great wireless IEM that falls into the $50 to ~$150 range that is just awesome and I should get it?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

lol, the ER4 is still a spectacular headphone. I actually like the old connector better, their recessed mmcx is a pain in the rear end.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Got dem Chu:

First the spring tips: they're great but take a lil getting used to. They're a tad stickier than the new spinfits and a tad less sticky than sedna xelastec. They seal well, disappear in my ears and hold my Timeless in place just fine. Bass is down a tad and upper mids up a tad, which is perfect for a bunch of my IEMs, but weirdly not the Chu. Big fan so far.

The Chu itself is, first of all, a step forward for IEMs in this price category in the design department. The shells are rock solid, heavy, gorgeous, pretty easy to fit properly and low profile enough to sleep with. The cable not so much. It's far better than older KZ trash or the Blon disaster cable, but it takes a while for kinks to relax and bafflingly there's no chin slider. This cable needs a chin slider. I just used the little velcro tie that came in the box for a makeshift one, but what the gently caress moondrop?

Anyway, they're also a step forward for tuning in this price range. Mids and treble sound correct and well-extended, which is the first time I've really ever been able to say that at $20. Bass is polite and present, if not fast. I could use a +6db midbass bump personally, but that's not huge and easy enough to accomplish. They don't have a stand-out party trick like the BLON bass or the Tin T2 vocals or planar speed or a dozen drivers, but the tuning is just brilliant. I like it better than the Aria.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The chin slider isn't a thing I care about but it is something people have noticed recently, especially with Moondrop's budget stuff. The Quarks and SSR/P don't have one either. Personally the cable feels like a refinement of the Quarks cable which is ungodly rubbery, in comparison the Chu's cable is a big improvement on that kind of cheap cable. I don't know that I'd go as far as saying I like the Chu's better than the Aria's, but it's certainly a lot closer than you'd expect from a 4x price difference.

I did buy a standalone set of spring tips within a few hours of getting the Chu's though, I absolutely love them. Though I probably made a mistake buying them of Shenzhen Audio given their order backlog has apparently reached nightmare levels.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't used a cable slider in years. IDK. I guess it's a few cents they can save which probably matters on a $20 product with paper margins.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I'm still really loving my iFi Go Blu. It's made me appreciate some IEMs I haven't listened to in ages. Most notably, the JVC HA-FDX1, which I always thought had good tuning on paper but sounded thin and a bit boring, really comes to life on Go Blu, especially with the bass button turned on. ER2XR with the bass switch slams pretty hard while still sounding completely clean otherwise. I bought an insanely dorky lanyard for the Go Blu that hangs around the neck with a leather cord, i wear that freaking thing all day long lol.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Can I have some recommendations for good headphones i can find in Brazil on a R$400~500 range? Hopefully cheaper.

For reference, here's the ones I'm used to:

Microsoft Lx-300
JBL C300SI

I consider these pretty good sounding, but they don't last long at all. I'd like something more durable that doesn't break the bank with a regular 3.5mm connector.
Doesn't need to have a mic.

Is the Logitech G335 a good buy? Researching headphones is a nightmare so I figured asking here was a good idea.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I'm not sure who distributes what in Brazil, but see if you can at find something from Sennheiser, AKG, Koss, Audio Technica, that sort of brand. You generally want to try and buy headphones from people who are primarily in the business of making headphones.

e: for example, the AKG K361 should be around that price if you can find it.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 17, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

K361 seems like the easy answer really, not many decent non-IEM options around £80 which I think is roughly what 500 real translates to.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Hm, AKG K361 is hovering around R$700~1000.

You know, let me throw some links I've found from the reputable brands that were listed:

AKG K240 MKII
AKG K92
AKG K52
Sennheiser HD 206
Sennheiser Hd 400s
Koss Porta Pro (This thing is so ugly lmao)
Audio-Technica M-Series ATH-M20x

So, which one would be the best for my situation? I'm hovering towards the AKG K92 (because it's the cheapest) but I'd go with a more expensive one if it has considerably better durability.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Stink Terios posted:

Hm, AKG K361 is hovering around R$700~1000.

You know, let me throw some links I've found from the reputable brands that were listed:

AKG K240 MKII
AKG K92
AKG K52
Sennheiser HD 206
Sennheiser Hd 400s
Koss Porta Pro (This thing is so ugly lmao)
Audio-Technica M-Series ATH-M20x

So, which one would be the best for my situation? I'm hovering towards the AKG K92 (because it's the cheapest) but I'd go with a more expensive one if it has considerably better durability.

K92's durability is fine when worn gently, and utterly awful when dropped. I wouldn't get the K240 MK2 nor the K52 over it if you don't have a DAC+Amp combo.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I had an AKG K52 some years ago and it was pretty comfy (especially if you swapped the pads for brainwavz XL) but the frequency response was a bit uneven.

They'll work. They're not offensive, potentially fun but they're definitely not accurate if that's a concern.

The cheaper Audio-Technicas may be a reasonable option. Or a yamaha option. Look at the studio headphones lines, not what the consumers buy.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 17, 2022

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
If you know how to solder in a new wire, the PortaPro are really durable. (And if you don't they're pretty bad.)

I'm known to love the K240 but not without a decent DAC. The K92 are my go-to "eh whatever these are okay" choice.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Hmm, what would qualify as a "decent" DAC?

For reference I recently bought a Behringer U-Phoria UM2, would that be good enough to use with a K240 Mk2? Or any of the ones I posted for that matter?
Note that I'm not looking for DAC recommendations, mine already cost too much money :shepface:

Stink Terios fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 17, 2022

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

emdash posted:

Sony announced the XM5s, releasing on the 20th of May. Looks like they shrunk the drivers though, from 40mm in all the prior models to 30mm. Seems like a negative, but I guess time will tell

I preordered these and should be getting them Friday. I'm upgrading from the XM3 and am looking forward to using them. Seems like most people are upset that they no longer fold up, but that doesn't concern me. I can see if you travel a lot it could be a negative, however. My main concern is getting the best possible ANC to block out people around me in my office.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Stink Terios posted:

Hmm, what would qualify as a "decent" DAC?

For reference I recently bought a Behringer U-Phoria UM2, would that be good enough to use with a K240 Mk2? Or any of the ones I posted for that matter?
Note that I'm not looking for DAC recommendations, mine already cost too much money :shepface:

The K240 is not remotely resolving enough for a DAC to make a lick of difference to the sound. They also drop off a cliff at 100hz and have a big 8K treble spike, so don't expect them to sound good either. I wouldn't even start thinking about dacs or amps, they're not relevant to what you're trying to achieve.

Honestly, the Koss are the best sounding option in that list. You absolutely do not need to solder in another cable, that's insane. I would, however, try and find the KPH30i instead as they're cheaper and more comfortable.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

endlessmonotony posted:

If you know how to solder in a new wire, the PortaPro are really durable. (And if you don't they're pretty bad.)

I'm known to love the K240 but not without a decent DAC. The K92 are my go-to "eh whatever these are okay" choice.

lmao endlessmonotony strikes again

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Do Koss Porta Pro actually sound good? I can't imagine how something with those ratty earpads can sound good, but apparently they do?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The big issue with the PortaPros is if you have hair, the headband will pluck hairs out every time you take them off. The KSC75 is the superior version of the PortaPros, to the point where people will mod them to have a (non hair plucking) headband.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

heavy liquid posted:

I preordered these and should be getting them Friday. I'm upgrading from the XM3 and am looking forward to using them. Seems like most people are upset that they no longer fold up, but that doesn't concern me. I can see if you travel a lot it could be a negative, however. My main concern is getting the best possible ANC to block out people around me in my office.

Nice, please post your impressions!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Josh Lyman posted:

Do Koss Porta Pro actually sound good? I can't imagine how something with those ratty earpads can sound good, but apparently they do?

Yeah, they're really great, and so is everything else with that driver and its variations, i.e. Sportapro, KPH30i, KSC75, etc. They're still built like early 90s walkman headphones, but if you're okay with that you get crazy price to performance.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

njsykora posted:

The big issue with the PortaPros is if you have hair, the headband will pluck hairs out every time you take them off. The KSC75 is the superior version of the PortaPros, to the point where people will mod them to have a (non hair plucking) headband.

I had a pair 20 years ago and you just reminded me of the hair pulling. They sound great though. Ear pads wore out pretty quick.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Thanks for all the responses, after painfully reasearching several models and considering what was said in the thread...

I actually went with the AKG k361, at R$560,00. A little bit over budget, but I believe the removable/replaceable cable will be worth it in the long run.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
:siren: for all you collector scum, Porta Pros are currently available in limited edition rhythm beige (the best color of the KPH30i)

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Ok Comboomer posted:

:siren: for all you collector scum, Porta Pros are currently available in limited edition rhythm beige (the best color of the KPH30i)

Good lord, they're majestic.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Stink Terios posted:

Thanks for all the responses, after painfully reasearching several models and considering what was said in the thread...

I actually went with the AKG k361, at R$560,00. A little bit over budget, but I believe the removable/replaceable cable will be worth it in the long run.

Good choice, and good reasoning. Especially given your location and the issues with shipping, changes the math for Koss quite a bit.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Artelier posted:

Same. My left channel stopped working recently. I was looking at some cheaper anker things to hold me over till the new samsung or pixel pros come out but who knows. I might just get elite 75s.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Have you tried that trick where you clean out the little hole? I've seen that a few times where people had issues and just needed to clear the hole and they worked again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lowness 72 posted:

Have you tried that trick where you clean out the little hole? I've seen that a few times where people had issues and just needed to clear the hole and they worked again.

Hmmm I'll give it a try after I get back home. It suits me better saving some bucks till the new buds come out

e- Hey that fixed it! Thanks for the tip!

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 19, 2022