Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

A boardgame called Ark Nova that isn't in a Sci-fi setting?! I don't know what the name means, exactly, but without any extra context I would've definitely assumed it to be spacefaring-related. Reminds me of how I kept thinking that Food Chain Magnate would be themed something akin to Dominant Species due to "food chain".

EDIT: For better content, I recently tried Railroad Ink for the first time and it was very cool! The gameplay seems simple but a lot of fun, although I wonder how much longevity the concept has. The lake expansion seemed like a really cool addition, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The Eyes Have It posted:

I also got to get Furnace to the table and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to playing this one some more. Don't think I have played such a "pure" engine builder before. The bidding and auction phase is pretty interesting and unexpectedly thinky; you have fixed bid tokens (a bit like Ra) but those who don't win a bid get a consolation multiplied by their bid amount. This can be surprisingly lucrative, and the order in which things are resolved can be especially important as well.

Amusingly a friend of mine said that when he saw the game he figured it was right up my alley. Turns out he was right :haw:
There's an expansion coming that adds extra bidding dials whose value is set by how much coal you cart to the auction house. Not sure if it gets a release outside the home country though.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

I just saw my local game store just got copies of the new Arkham-themed Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective-style game, Bureau of Investigation. It's supposed to be built on the SHCD system, with tweaks developed from the Baker's Street Irregulars box. Has anyone played it yet? I'll probably pick up a copy just to play with my brother in law who's into Cthulu stuff.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Glad to see Furnace is getting an expansion. I'd really love to add it to my collection at some point, it just looks nice and simple; and I love the tiered bidding system for how easy it is to grok.

--------------

Azul is getting a limited edition.

tl;dr exact same game, but Chocolate themed.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
That’s stupid as hell. It obviously should’ve been starburst themed.

Edit: Did anyone read Cole Wehrle’s latest designer diary about splitting Arc into two different products? It was an interesting read, but definitely left me a bit worried.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Wow, that might be even stupider than the Kingdom Builder Deluxe with the 200 miniature buildings.

There just isn’t enough visually distinct on that Azul to even warrant a limited edition. It’s literally just a palette swap. What the hell.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Jewmanji posted:

That’s stupid as hell. It obviously should’ve been starburst themed.

Edit: Did anyone read Cole Wehrle’s latest designer diary about splitting Arc into two different products? It was an interesting read, but definitely left me a bit worried.

I wasn’t following closely during Root’s development, but Oath underwent significant changes during and after the Kickstarter. I’m sure the Leder team can put out a competent game.

And, separating out the campaign elements is probably for the best. I love the idea of Oath, but it’s way too hard to get the committed group it required between life and the pandemic.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Jewmanji posted:

Did anyone read Cole Wehrle’s latest designer diary about splitting Arc into two different products? It was an interesting read, but definitely left me a bit worried.

What's got you worried? Just last minute changes before the Kickstarter?

Prairie Bus posted:

I wasn’t following closely during Root’s development, but Oath underwent significant changes during and after the Kickstarter. I’m sure the Leder team can put out a competent game.

And, separating out the campaign elements is probably for the best. I love the idea of Oath, but it’s way too hard to get the committed group it required between life and the pandemic.

These are my thoughts. I love Oath, and I played the early versions (from the Kickstarter, not, like, with Wehrle), and it changed a lot from my first game.

If a game is undergoing significant changes close to a Kickstarter and it's a new designer, I would get worried. But Wehrle's pedigree is pretty rock solid, and while any veteran designer will eventually make a dud, I'm not concerned about Wehrle's ability to get from here to there.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Viper915 posted:

I just saw my local game store just got copies of the new Arkham-themed Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective-style game, Bureau of Investigation. It's supposed to be built on the SHCD system, with tweaks developed from the Baker's Street Irregulars box. Has anyone played it yet? I'll probably pick up a copy just to play with my brother in law who's into Cthulu stuff.

Here is a stunning recreation of me when I read this.

There is apparently a demo case to try as well. The only thing is that this demo case doesn't appear to contain the 'statefulness' from in BSI, where information can be locked until you discover something. For the unfamiliar, the process was described by me here in last year's Draft thread. That might be a dealbreaker for me, since that is such a critical and amazing innovation on the old formula I could never go back.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hempuli posted:

A boardgame called Ark Nova that isn't in a Sci-fi setting?! I don't know what the name means, exactly, but without any extra context I would've definitely assumed it to be spacefaring-related. Reminds me of how I kept thinking that Food Chain Magnate would be themed something akin to Dominant Species due to "food chain".

Nova is Latin for "new." A zoo is a new ark, as in Noah's Ark (Latin arca just means "box," whence also Ark of the Covenant and classic Doctor Who episode "The Ark in Space"). But also, yes, even though I know all that, I totally assumed it was at least space-adjacent.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I’m skeptical of ARCS having a compelling one off that seemingly requires pulling out key systems in the game and this amount of dev work not impacting the full game. He said himself he completely stopped working on the campaign to redesign and make the one off box work. I also think that’s pressure from Patrick to make a more palatable and approachable game.

There’s also a real sense of this thing spiraling out of control from being billed as “Oath-lite” for months to “most ambitious design I’ve ever done” now.

I’m sure it’ll come together as something interesting but these diaries aren’t as insightful as much as raising some red flags for me.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

I’m skeptical of ARCS having a compelling one off that seemingly requires pulling out key systems in the game and this amount of dev work not impacting the full game. He said himself he completely stopped working on the campaign to redesign and make the one off box work. I also think that’s pressure from Patrick to make a more palatable and approachable game.

There’s also a real sense of this thing spiraling out of control from being billed as “Oath-lite” for months to “most ambitious design I’ve ever done” now.

I’m sure it’ll come together as something interesting but these diaries aren’t as insightful as much as raising some red flags for me.

Maybe Cole just considers it ambitious to make an approachable game.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Lawlicaust posted:

Wow, that might be even stupider than the Kingdom Builder Deluxe with the 200 miniature buildings.

There just isn’t enough visually distinct on that Azul to even warrant a limited edition. It’s literally just a palette swap. What the hell.

Kingdom Builder Deluxe is a much more optimistic proposition. Kingdom Builder is a dry, basically themeless, old Euro. The type of gamer who's excited for that reprint is unlikely to get a rush from a box full of plastic figs and a price tag to match*. On the other hand, as shown by the three or four games in the series, there's a healthy market of people who are happy to buy Azul again if it looks a little different.

*I'm sure there are some who are excited, but I'm sure not one of them.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Origins reinstates mask requirement

Good to hear

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Good good.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Don't scroll down to the responses

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

homullus posted:

Nova is Latin for "new." A zoo is a new ark, as in Noah's Ark (Latin arca just means "box," whence also Ark of the Covenant and classic Doctor Who episode "The Ark in Space"). But also, yes, even though I know all that, I totally assumed it was at least space-adjacent.

After writing that post I pondered on the name and was like "oh yeahhh, I saw that it's about zookeeping; so it's a New (Noah's) Ark. Makes sense!" But both "nova" and "ark" have been used a lot in spacey settings too, haha.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Neon Genesis Zoovangelion

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Some of my boardgame friends are only interested in animal themes, and I'm glad there are a lot of good animal boardgames around now. Ark Nova, Cascadia, Calico, Isle of Cats. All good!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
well, I just experienced the worst thing to ever happen to anybody in board gaming

Mr. Squishy posted:

Some of my boardgame friends are only interested in animal themes, and I'm glad there are a lot of good animal boardgames around now. Ark Nova, Cascadia, Calico, Isle of Cats. All good!

try Everdell

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

They called it Ark Nova after their bid to get a merchandising license for hit 2011 film "We Bought a Zoo" fell through.

An official digital version of Nemesis Lockdown started its closed beta on Steam yesterday and my group's resident Nemesis nerd who bought into all the kickstarters got an invite and is really enjoying it. His major complaint is you have to zoom out to check the full map to see what the noise situation in the next room is. He says its a pretty good adaption of the board game. It's not related to their other steam game, Nemesis: Distress, which is a first person pov version of the first Nemesis game and needed a lot of work when I tried it a few months ago.

Also if you missed it and play that version, Gloomhaven's Jaws of the Lion expansion came out on steam for the digital game, there is some commentary over in the Gloomhaven thread.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

It was so loving hard for me to not cross-post that into the BGG Spring con thread on BGG and be like, "GEE it sure seems like masking might be prudent you loving ASSWIPES"

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Magnetic North posted:

Here is a stunning recreation of me when I read this.

There is apparently a demo case to try as well. The only thing is that this demo case doesn't appear to contain the 'statefulness' from in BSI, where information can be locked until you discover something. For the unfamiliar, the process was described by me here in last year's Draft thread. That might be a dealbreaker for me, since that is such a critical and amazing innovation on the old formula I could never go back.

I just printed the demo case to try, but I'm probably going to pick up the full box and see how it is. This quote from bgg makes me think that the statefulness, or something similar, might be in the full game? I'm having a hard time finding good info yet.

quote:

As much as we loved the first 3 Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective boxes, our favourite was the The Baker Street Irregulars box done by Dave Neale because of the innovations it made with the format. Case 3 feels like a similar amazing tweak to the format and is now one of our favourites out of all 45 cases if the Consulting Detective line of games.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

For me it's the "option to abandon your empire and become a single ship with special rules" mentioned.

Just let the vagabond go, man.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

hoiyes posted:

For me it's the "option to abandon your empire and become a single ship with special rules" mentioned.

Just let the vagabond go, man.

Vagabond was from Patrick and I wouldn't be surprised if this was too, he really seems to love that concept from his own designs and his hand in Cole's

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I think Oath is a cool game but its obvious Leder games are looking for another Root not another Oath with ARCS.

Oath was definitely a Wehrle passion project and I'm not sure Cole will get another crack at one of those unless he publishes it himself like JoCo 2e.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
If Arcs shapes up to be Root when it needs to be and Oath when it can be I’ll be delighted.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i do kind of blame everything i don't like in root on leder and I try not to let those get in the way of, like, recommending the game to people because a lot of people LOVE the little vagabond bastard and don't play competitively enough that it is an Issue. But. I would love to have seen a version of root that was just Wehrle's furry fantasy themed asymmetric warfare simulator without a bunch of "wackiness" sprinkled across it.

Like the Vagabond is such a novelty figure. very "And you don't even have to be a faction! You can just be a guy!" that is maybe the perfect kind of thing to snag a certain kind of Gamer but it's just very frustrating. I see the same sort of shallowness in how the crows operate, although I think they fit better than the vagabond does.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm keen to see what Arcs is all about cause 'Trick Taking Campaign' sounds great, and Brian Boru is still at the top of my pickup list.

Like man.. just drop some previews on top of the dev diaries, cause he's getting all Peter Molyneux up in here.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Yeah, compared to Oath, these dev diaries have felt a little sparse.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Impermanent posted:

Like the Vagabond is such a novelty figure. very "And you don't even have to be a faction! You can just be a guy!" that is maybe the perfect kind of thing to snag a certain kind of Gamer but it's just very frustrating. I see the same sort of shallowness in how the crows operate, although I think they fit better than the vagabond does.

I mean you can just don't play with the vagabond. Wasn't a big part of the vagabond existing the need for a 4th player with a low piece count? Swap in an expansion faction.

As a solution for how to get 4players on the base box the vagabond is pretty clever imho if I also don't like it.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

CitizenKeen posted:

Yeah, compared to Oath, these dev diaries have felt a little sparse.

I enjoy his writing on and about games. As actual dev diaries, they're not very informative about the game itself. For instance, what does the map look like? Is it a board or built out of hexes or what? That feels like a question I should be able to answer after reading several thousand words about said game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I mean you can just don't play with the vagabond. Wasn't a big part of the vagabond existing the need for a 4th player with a low piece count? Swap in an expansion faction.

As a solution for how to get 4players on the base box the vagabond is pretty clever imho if I also don't like it.

I’m the vagabond defender and think it’s the most fun base faction to play but also understand why so many people dislike playing against it, even aside from balance issues.

And yeah, it does have an important role in 4p base game because the ruins really need to be cleared out for the cats (others benefit from it as well but cats need it).

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

CitizenKeen posted:

If Arcs shapes up to be Root when it needs to be and Oath when it can be I’ll be delighted.

For what it's worth, having played through a few sessions of both the 1-game and campaign modes, I think it's managing to pull this off so far. There's plenty of development work left, but the core systems are as straightforward as Root's while potentially enabling Oath levels of absurd interaction.

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't really perceive Arcs as being an attempt at a more "palatable" game. The short version is easily the Wehrle game with the least rules overhead, making it easier to bring to the table, but the people who dislike the fundamental character of his work probably won't be changing their minds for this one.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yea I mean I prefer not to play with the vagabond. But also part of the game's appeal is wrapped around its assymetry, and players who are often uncomfortable in conflict heavy war games gravitate to the vagabond pretty heavily. I do appreciate that the Marauder seems to be an attempt at replacing the vagabond with a much more interesting character.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Looking for recommendations on a new game. Have been playing coop games with the spouse, leaving them out on a table and take turns here and there between work/kids/meals/etc. It gives us something challenging to collectively work on and talk about. Most recently we did this with Aeon's End: Legacy of Gravehold which was great due to the lengthy connective campaign format with lots of room for optimization talk. So we are are looking for another medium to heavy fully coop game with lots of strategy that we can play asynchronously. We have already played Gloomhaven, Mage Knight, and Spirit Island to death. So is there anything else that can scratch this itch?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

iceyman posted:

Looking for recommendations on a new game. Have been playing coop games with the spouse, leaving them out on a table and take turns here and there between work/kids/meals/etc. It gives us something challenging to collectively work on and talk about. Most recently we did this with Aeon's End: Legacy of Gravehold which was great due to the lengthy connective campaign format with lots of room for optimization talk. So we are are looking for another medium to heavy fully coop game with lots of strategy that we can play asynchronously. We have already played Gloomhaven, Mage Knight, and Spirit Island to death. So is there anything else that can scratch this itch?

The City of Kings. "Mage Knight without the crushing weight" would be my description. If you're leaving it out, though, you'll want to invest in the cube holders. There's a far few cubes used to track stats on the character sheets and you don't want them knocking.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Impermanent posted:

Yea I mean I prefer not to play with the vagabond. But also part of the game's appeal is wrapped around its assymetry, and players who are often uncomfortable in conflict heavy war games gravitate to the vagabond pretty heavily. I do appreciate that the Marauder seems to be an attempt at replacing the vagabond with a much more interesting character.

Speaking of, I wanted to cross post an analysis of the Lord of the Hundreds I did over in the “Tabletop games have weird politics” thread

Triskelli posted:

It’s been a minute since I’ve written about Root, and since fascism has been mentioned I may as well bring up the faction that best depicts the ideology, The Lord of the Hundreds.

You’re the true voice of this Woodland. Dissenters will burn

So the Lord of the Hundreds (LotH for short) and the other faction added in the Marauders expansion arose from a design problem. The Vagabond, the guy playing an RPG rather than an army game was overtuned; able to become quite powerful and score quite quickly while the other factions are not rewarded for fighting them. The Vagabond has received numerous nerfs over time to his ability to score points by battling and more factions in the game means more opportunities to leave the vagabond out entirely. But this creates a problem since items, ruins and forests are a core part of the game that are either not important or not interactive when the Vagabond isn’t around.

Enter the LotH, a faction initially designed to have lots of warriors and interact with items and ruins.

The LotH represents a pretty classical view of populist fascism, with a strongman Warlord piece (the warrior on the left with a flag) that can only be defeated by battling it who has an ever-shifting set of moods. Even then defeat isn’t permanent, as new warrior is able to take the reins on the next turn. The torch & pitchfork tokens represent Mobs, who burn down any non-Rat buildings or tokens in a clearing every morning, then spread randomly to adjacent clearings. They even remove Ruins, which presumably captures a disregard for history outside of the LotH’s genocidal project. And genocide is what’s happening here, as the Rats score Victory Points and gain legitimacy by making sure that the clearings they own are free of opponent’s pieces.

Their gameplay revolves around the Warlord piece, who recruits warriors to himself, makes massive marches around the table, and grows in ability as he gains items. Gaining items though has the trade off of locking away some of his Moods.

The interplay between cards and items and the LotH is an interesting one though, since it tips Cole’s hand. The LotH has incredibly poor card draw, relying on a specific Mood to ever draw more than one card. In Root’s political language this means the Warlord is actually not great at recruiting “common folk” to his cause, despite getting a constant stream of free warriors and mobs each turn. And the way he interacts with items, choosing to either take the points or the item itself, implies a greedier relationship with this mechanic than other factions. Only the Warlord keeps the wealth created by his horde, and he’s capable of looting more from the opposing factions.

So we know who the Warlord is. He’s Hitler, Mussolini, Duerte, Trump. He’s every pompous tinpot dictator that makes a showy display of power, wealth, and chauvinism; and is rewarded with unwavering support by what his opponents see as a horde of mindless sycophants.

But if that’s who the Warlord is… then who are the Rats? Are they an invading army seeking lebensraum? Maybe. But the mobs incited by the LotH can pop up anywhere in the forest, and the rats can be recruited from any clearing the Warlord walks through. Are they the lumpenprole? A group that’s always been in the Woodland, but one that ignores politics until called to unadulterated violence? Did the Rats silently resent their mouse and rabbit neighbors until they were given permission to slaughter them?

Do such people live around us too?

I don’t like to think about it.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

If you want to go down the rabbit hole, there's also the Arkham Horror LCG, Marvel Champions and potentially Lord of the Rings LCG, which is getting reprints of old cycles with an added connecting campaign structure.

I personally enjoyed Tainted Grail but the combat is definitely lighter and less polished than Gloomhaven and there are some questionable design choices for the survival aspects. If you don't mind houseruling or changing difficulty if you don't like the balance, it's a fun CYOA-style romp with a lot of interacting story vignettes.

Roll Player Adventures has a crunchy dice-placement puzzle at it's core, but unfortunately it gives you so many additional tools as you progress that it trivializes itself by the end of the campaign.

I've heard good things about Dice Throne Adventures, but the buy-in is pretty high since you also need Dice Throne character sets and I haven't tried it myself yet. On the plus side Dice Throne is supposed to be a pretty good two-player competitive game, too!

If you like Legacy of Gravehold enough that you'd be willing to play more Aeon's End Outcasts has a mini-campaign structure ("expeditions") designed to be reset and replayed, and the original Legacy is good, if not quite as balanced as LoG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Hempuli posted:

EDIT: For better content, I recently tried Railroad Ink for the first time and it was very cool! The gameplay seems simple but a lot of fun, although I wonder how much longevity the concept has. The lake expansion seemed like a really cool addition, too!

Railroad Ink, much as I like it (even with the "pay full price for something that could be an expansion" colour range), but it really is a triumph of production quality over price in a world where 13 Rails exists.