Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Guze posted:

Coke orgies 100% real. I have never been more sure of something.

Let me tell you something else. I've seen a lot of spinals, Dude, and this guy is a fake. A loving goldbricker. This guy loving walks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Yo why is the FFX soundtrack so good.

Why is this game so good

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

General Dog posted:

Let me tell you something else. I've seen a lot of spinals, Dude, and this guy is a fake. A loving goldbricker. This guy loving walks.

John Goodman deserved an Oscar for that scene alone.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LeeMajors posted:

John Goodman deserved an Oscar for that scene alone.

I'm partial to his portrayal as the cyclops in o brother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLbP3R8Phds

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Dr. Oz in trouble, Trump’s own pick might not win in PA. Barnette was catching up fast, but she looks way behind. She likely would’ve been crushed in the general, so that’s good news for the GOP unfortunately. Still better than giving her a platform for 6 more months.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Mr. Nice! posted:

God I forgot how good that movie is. Needs a rewatch. And soon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Guze posted:

Coke orgies 100% real. I have never been more sure of something.

I'm like 95% positive he made it up in an attempt at getting some outsider credit, he just accidentally happened to be right.

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What is y’all’s process for making big life decisions?

With most decisions it’s pretty easy for me because it’s either:
  • A) something insignificant enough that I can try whatever and be fine (like ordering something novel off a menu). OR
  • B) something where my values are clearly leading me down a consistent path (like my chosen profession).

But I’m at a point where I’ve got this fork in the road of options with lifelong implications. But I don’t have any internal direction because all the options coincide with my values.

I tried making pros/cons lists but that didn’t actually help me get closer to making a decision.

Getting meta and existential itt

Step one have no kids and healthy parents.

Step two be single

Step three be outdoorsy enough that living in a tent seems like a good idea for months

Step 4 don't give a gently caress about anything

Ymmv

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

• A) something insignificant enough that I can try whatever and be fine (like ordering something novel off a menu). OR
  • B) something where my values are clearly leading me down a consistent path (like my chosen profession).

But I’m at a point where I’ve got this fork in the road of options with lifelong implications. But I don’t have any internal direction because all the options coincide with my values.

I tried making pros/cons lists but that didn’t actually help me get closer to making a decision.

Trust your gut instinct, as it's usually right. Beyond that, talk to one or two people whose opinions you trust completely and utterly, and be fully honest about what you're struggling with, and listen to their input.

I went through a similar situation just the past week; I've been interviewing for several jobs and I got two offers. One would have paid more money than I've ever seen in my life, but was only a six-month contract with no guarantee of conversion / extension, and the scope of work seemed like it would have the potential to make me very bored very quickly. The other paid less, but still very comfortably, and is an actual direct-hire, not a contract, so there's some job security there, and it's in a role that I actively enjoy.

I chose the lower-paying job and I start on Monday (my first non-contract job since before the pandemic started).

Timby fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 18, 2022

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I needed to meet my dad at my parents after work to scrounge through some of his horde of motorcycle parts and I got there before they did so I let myself in, and their normally insanely happy wag-her-butt-off and jump on me pooch was all mopey and didn’t seem to care that I was there (she’s getting up there, about 11 now I think) :smith:

But then my parents got home and I asked what was wrong and turns out she just got a some shots at the vet last night so she was just sleepy and drowsy and still waking up when I got there and perked back up after my parents got home :yayclod:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Summer Lee currently ahead by 500 votes as of 1145 pm Eastern

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Skwirl posted:

Summer Lee currently ahead by 500 votes as of 1145 pm Eastern

NYT and Election Center seem to think she's won.

https://twitter.com/ElectionCenter_/status/1526769906213003264?t=Zp-eZGs6Ky5EdvpEq2kfZg&s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nice.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Mr. Nice! posted:

by far the best part was big dan crushing delmar's skull in with the branch and everett just sits there and says "I don't get it, big dan"

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Wait, Summer Lee beat a dead Australian for a Pennsylvania seat?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1526741108847366144?t=4Dgrgjpyok1hSUL86_atkA&s=19

He never really wanted to buy Twitter but Twitter basically not giving him a route to not pay a billion dollars to get outta the deal given his Tesla stock downturn, his crypto crashing and his Twitter shares already losing $15/share of value off his offer price is all very funny

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

1. gently caress it up
2. spend the next few years thinking about it every day

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I've always heard the "flip a coin and if you disagree with the outcome and/or hope for a particular outcome while it's in the air you have your answer" but I've never gotten to use it on a big life decision.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Abugadu posted:

1. gently caress it up
2. spend the next few years thinking about it every day

I've got a job interview tomorrow and this is basically my plan.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Spoeank posted:

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1526741108847366144?t=4Dgrgjpyok1hSUL86_atkA&s=19

He never really wanted to buy Twitter but Twitter basically not giving him a route to not pay a billion dollars to get outta the deal given his Tesla stock downturn, his crypto crashing and his Twitter shares already losing $15/share of value off his offer price is all very funny

Just when I thought it couldn't get funnier.

Edit: I can't believe this website is free.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Spoeank posted:

Once again, Robert is absolutely correct

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Hope she sticks it out. She has less than a 500 vote lead.

Dr. Oz and a hedge fund manager are within 2,500 votes, so that will probably go to a recount. I think Oz and McCormick are both fairly weak candidates, so hopefully Fetterman doesn’t gently caress it up.

A progressive unseated a blue dog in OR-5, and Cawthorn lost his seat in NC. Overall, a pretty good day.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Intruder posted:

by far the best part was big dan crushing delmar's skull in with the branch and everett just sits there and says "I don't get it, big dan"

I've seen that movie once around the time it was released to video, and that five seconds of it has popped into my brain probably once a week since then.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Dr. Oz and a hedge fund manager are within 2,500 votes, so that will probably go to a recount. I think Oz and McCormick are both fairly weak candidates, so hopefully Fetterman doesn’t gently caress it up.

The question is how much Fetterman will be able to campaign. His stroke was supposedly minor--I myself have a-fib and take Eliquis for it twice daily--but the recovery isn't going to be like "Oh, I broke my wrist, I can still be on the campaign trail." There really isn't such a thing as a "minor" stroke.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm not too familiar with Fetterman but the shotgun thing is uhhhn not great

He held a black guy at gunpoint until the police came, the black guy was just a jogger

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ussoccer/status/1526889287505035264

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

This is loving excellent.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

This rules, women in soccer are insanely, like unbelievably underpaid, IIRC currently players in the NWSL (the league that feeds into the USWNT) earn like $35k a year as professional athletes, hopefully this also gives their players some weight to getting that bumped up to anything above literal poverty level pay

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Thaddius the Large posted:

This rules, women in soccer are insanely, like unbelievably underpaid, IIRC currently players in the NWSL (the league that feeds into the USWNT) earn like $35k a year as professional athletes, hopefully this also gives their players some weight to getting that bumped up to anything above literal poverty level pay

Women are also way loving tougher and the USWNT wins way loving more.

Watching them being out-earned so badly by our lovely men's team was pretty depressing.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yesterday GrubHub offered $15 off in NYC during a 3 hour lunch window but didn't run it by any of the restaurants

https://twitter.com/WellsLucasSanto/status/1526678884678193152

The whole thread is worth a read

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

LeeMajors posted:

Watching them being out-earned so badly by our lovely men's team was pretty depressing.

Hell yes, Portland Thorns season ticket holder :kamina:

I know it’s been said to the point of a bad joke but the diving and rolling around like your leg’s been severed is noticeably reduced in the women’s games compared to the men’s, they’re more likely to get mad they have to go off the field long enough get an actively bleeding wound treated

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Intruder posted:

Yesterday GrubHub offered $15 off in NYC during a 3 hour lunch window but didn't run it by any of the restaurants

https://twitter.com/WellsLucasSanto/status/1526678884678193152

The whole thread is worth a read

Yeah, also worth looking at GrubHub's account because they hid all the replies of people calling them out for being lovely.

E: article on it https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/kelseyweekman/grubhub-free-lunch-nyc-promo-chaos

GrubHub was getting on average 6k orders a minute!

From the article posted:

A spokesperson from GrubHub sent BuzzFeed News a statement following the fiasco: "It’s clear, New Yorkers were hungry for lunch! While we knew 72% of New York workers call lunch the most important meal of the day, our free lunch promotion exceeded all expectations."

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 18, 2022

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Hell yes, Portland Thorns season ticket holder :kamina:

I know it’s been said to the point of a bad joke but the diving and rolling around like your leg’s been severed is noticeably reduced in the women’s games compared to the men’s, they’re more likely to get mad they have to go off the field long enough get an actively bleeding wound treated

I'm not a big soccer guy but I've watched a fair amount of both and the difference is pretty stark.

Although i'm sure i'll be getting into it a lot more--my daughter started a soccer clinic at school and is asking to play rec. Maybe she'll be able to footie herself into Furman or Davidson or something.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Hot Diggity! posted:

Yeah, also worth looking at GrubHub's account because they hid all the replies of people calling them out for being lovely.

E: article on it https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/kelseyweekman/grubhub-free-lunch-nyc-promo-chaos

GrubHub was getting on average 6k orders a minute!

Glad I don’t live in NYC or work in the service industry. This is the problem with all the food ordering apps, they are completely divorced from what actually happens in restaurant when an order comes in. You’d think they’d implement some sort of order limiting so the app can’t send 100 orders at the same time to one place.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Glad I don’t live in NYC or work in the service industry. This is the problem with all the food ordering apps, they are completely divorced from what actually happens in restaurant when an order comes in. You’d think they’d implement some sort of order limiting so the app can’t send 100 orders at the same time to one place.

Yeah, in the old days if you were too busy to take more orders you just didn’t answer the phone, but now the app can parachute another 50 orders into your queue in seconds. And how many people decided to be assholes and complain about it taking too long?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

LeeMajors posted:

I'm not a big soccer guy but I've watched a fair amount of both and the difference is pretty stark.

Although i'm sure i'll be getting into it a lot more--my daughter started a soccer clinic at school and is asking to play rec. Maybe she'll be able to footie herself into Furman or Davidson or something.

Lol, that was kinda my thinking too, get my kid to watch women playing instead of men, she’s no more interested in actually playing soccer herself now but increasingly digs yelling and chanting with the supporters section, I’d call it a solid win

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

I used to work in this industry. Rate limiting and turning off ordering through pos systems and middlewares is possible but idk that managers know this or have that access.

But your point is right about thing being disconnected between apps and restaurants.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

LeeMajors posted:

Women get paid more than men on the national team (and it's been that way for a long time). It's league pay that's the issue. I don't think this agreement actually fixes that.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MrLogan posted:

Women get paid more than men on the national team (and it's been that way for a long time). It's league pay that's the issue. I don't think this agreement actually fixes that.

I’m not an expert but wasn’t the pay structure intentionally underpaying them and they made more with endorsements because they *gasp* actually won soccer matches?

That doesn’t absolve the unequal pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

LeeMajors posted:

I’m not an expert but wasn’t the pay structure intentionally underpaying them and they made more with endorsements because they *gasp* actually won soccer matches?

That doesn’t absolve the unequal pay.

The women's club soccer league in the US keeps folding/going bankrupt/etc so women got more base salary/healthcare/etc from the national team so they have a stable source of income. A few years ago in my co-ed league, we played against teams that had women's national league players on it. They had joined the league to keep playing because there literally wasn't a women's club league at that time.

For the national team, the men got bigger bonuses because they get their salary/benefits from their club. The endorsement dollars were based on the amount of money each brought in and men's soccer brings in a ton more money.

The best thing for women's soccer would be a stable club league that pays decently, imo.