Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my cat is norris posted:

i loving remember this holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prg_SVBfFWw

oh my god this is old as hell. i didn't remember the grandma until she started speaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the French fear the muzzies.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

hobbesmaster posted:

every millenial saw that ad at least once during every commercial break growing up

it bears emphasis: sears bought one ad per commercial break on nearly every channel, for every four to six hour kid's show block, from literally 1993 to 2003, and filled that space with only that ad

sometimes it would play twice per break

when calculated by "time spent in the presence of" I have spent more of my life around that commercial than i have any family member other than my parents

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

DoombatINC posted:

it bears emphasis: sears bought one ad per commercial break on nearly every channel, for every four to six hour kid's show block, from literally 1993 to 2003, and filled that space with only that ad

sometimes it would play twice per break

when calculated by "time spent in the presence of" I have spent more of my life around that commercial than i have any family member other than my parents

i just can't understand how they failed as a company

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

i say swears online posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prg_SVBfFWw

oh my god this is old as hell. i didn't remember the grandma until she started speaking

when I was a kid I always heard the phrase as je suis la grande prix

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

/points at the screen that appears to be showing a poorly drawn and probably boring cartoon, while looking super amazed

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

fuuuck. I used to sit around watching weather channel for hours as a little weird kid in the early 90s

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

Holy poo poo. Simulation wouldn't work until I put a song in for it to play lol

Now it works like a charm (except radar)

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
radar is broken because NWS changed the API for it and the developer hasn't had time to update, might be some day.

it takes a bit of messing around to get it right but it rocks.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stereotype posted:

2 words: Ayn Rand

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

well might as well complete the triumvirate of Nickelodeon's only three paid sponsors in the early 90s

https://youtu.be/NRHF8n9e9Xo

E: jesus christ that pricing is still outrageous today I cannot believe the brass balls on these people to go for that price point 30 years ago

shame on an IGA has issued a correction as of 04:34 on May 18, 2022

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

shame on an IGA posted:

well might as well complete the triumvirate of Nickelodeon's only three paid sponsors in the early 90s

E: jesus christ that pricing is still outrageous today I cannot believe the brass balls on these people to go for that price point 30 years ago

lmao at the person stirring the big bowl of gross poo poo with their bare hand

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stereotype posted:

It’s like how a dozen planes could strafe a Zeppelin with machine guns and the beast is just so big that the bleeding is inconsequential.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Spergin Morlock posted:

the main character was a monster named "Muzzie"

Him who eats time, him robes; it's a wind of invisible voices. Rejoice, death is not the end.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

my dude https://www.twitch.tv/retroweatherchannel

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.

Ardeem posted:

You're killing me, Larry!

Larry H Parker got me 2.1 million dollars

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I love to watch big blocks of old rear end commercials on YouTube. These are the channels I like:

https://www.youtube.com/c/DavesArchives
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIXoqJp42oB46cxtJ8sZcVA/videos
https://www.youtube.com/c/80sCommercialVault

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

not for my local area, voted 1

my isp got mad at me for streaming the weather channel simulator to twitch for a month one time

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Unf. I've been mainlining nostalgia like heroin in the past couple years and ended up watching several hours of 80s and 90s holiday commercials last December. They were like a nice warm blanket.

More on topic- The Great Lakes are enjoying some lovely 40 degree swings in our daily highs. I guess at least we aren't going to boil to death like texas.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
It's been a wet, cold spring in southwest B.C. Temperatures are averaging 2oc below average and we had frost last week instead of late March. The bees have been hanging around in their hives waiting for flying temperatures to return. When they do the bees head out to load up on pollen, the temperature drops while they're out and we're finding comatose bees loaded with pollen and sitting on vegetation waiting for the temperature to rise enough for them to get back home with it. Not sure how much of the fruit crop got pollinated.

Not only are the farms and gardens a month behind but we're running out of growing season. Even if the sun returns we won't have enough summer left to grow out certain crops. I don't think I'll bother to plant Glass corn this year. Cold hardy sweetpotatoes might not be viable either unless I take a Tiger torch to the beds to warm them up.

Some of the Fraser valley blueberry growers are getting boned. First their plants got hosed by the heat dome last summer, then the floods hit in November and scoured out or dumped a bunch of gravel on the remaining plants. Their stands need to be replanted but new plants won't be available until 2025.

On the positive side the soil is thoroughly saturated. With the summer droughts it's been a few years since we've seen that. On the negative side an unseasonable cold/low pressure system is coming through, 90kph/55mph/50 knot winds forecasted. Trees are in full leaf now and the saturated soil = less root holding ability so we'll probably lose our power this morning. Sounds like the east side of the Salish Sea is already getting hit.

Had our showers and everything is charged up so we're more or less ready. So far all that's come over is a potted fir. Sort of the equivalent of plastic lawn furniture and earthquakes.

Definitely having a normal one this spring.

:rubby:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Member last week when the AC was running.... Now the heat is on. Thanks northeast.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

slap bass smooth jazz, lol thanks for this

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

shame on an IGA posted:

I've gotten iodine on everything oh god please someone help me I need the didi seven pronto

Like am I missing something or did homes used to have bottles of iodine all over the place ready to stain everything you owned or what?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah I'd assume a well stocked farm would have iodine in it, you probably cut yourself up a lot

I think the last time someone gave me iodine for a cut it was the middle school nurse

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Chief McHeath posted:

I've gotten iodine on everything oh god please someone help me I need the didi seven pronto

Like am I missing something or did homes used to have bottles of iodine all over the place ready to stain everything you owned or what?

yes it was as universal as rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide and organomercury compounds

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Chief McHeath posted:

... I've got two bottles of iodine on the shelf, and it's a super commonplace thing especially as you grow older and infected cuts start healing slowly.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

endlessmonotony posted:

... I've got two bottles of iodine on the shelf, and it's a super commonplace thing especially as you grow older and infected cuts start healing slowly.

Does it still serve a purpose or has it been replaced by neosporin in cost or effectiveness?

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Does it still serve a purpose or has it been replaced by neosporin in cost or effectiveness?

I generally do both, but that could just be my broke brain.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Not everyone can use neosporin unfortunately. Most people find out that they are allergic to one of the antibiotics in it after using it

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

i wonder if the music was picked locally because my local affiliate loved to play classical gas

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

NeonPunk posted:

Not everyone can use neosporin unfortunately. Most people find out that they are allergic to one of the antibiotics in it after using it

I had no idea the majority of people were allergic to that

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Chief McHeath posted:

you never used iodine as an antiseptic?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

It's more effective than neosporin for the kinds of things my (diabetic) feet get.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

spacemang_spliff posted:

you never used iodine as an antiseptic?

Actually, yeah, I do remember iodine being around my grandfather's farm buildings for scrapes and such, but I guess I was one of those fancy people that mostly grew up with Neosporin.

I guess I missed out on the great iodine panic where it was absolutely everywhere staining sheets, couches and your shirt right before your very important business presentation.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Y'all never had a grandpa that was convinced that only Mercurochrome would stop the germs. . .

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Testing for starch conversion when cooking up a mash for brewing beer.

That might be a little esoteric though.

stealie72 posted:

Y'all never had a grandpa that was convinced that only Mercurochrome would stop the germs. . .

I remember that stuff from when I was a kid. I had no idea it was mercury based. Name should have been a clue.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

neosporin always seemed to make things greasy and more infected. tincture d’iode please

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

neosporin always seemed to make things greasy and more infected. tincture d’iode please

you do still have to clean the wound first

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Also doesn't neosporin have antibiotics in it? Wouldn't surprise me if it contributes to antibiotics resistance to use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Chief McHeath posted:

Actually, yeah, I do remember iodine being around my grandfather's farm buildings for scrapes and such, but I guess I was one of those fancy people that mostly grew up with Neosporin.

I guess I missed out on the great iodine panic where it was absolutely everywhere staining sheets, couches and your shirt right before your very important business presentation.

I used it as a kid but my dad's parents had a farm. I htink it is more of an old people thing (and probably why everyone uses neosporin now because it's not old fashioned)