Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
If you're stuck in WV, you welcome death every day. :chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Relevant Tangent posted:

my ancestral lands are worth a cool 450k now, one acre and the people who bought it from my parents added 800 sq ft making the house a whopping 2200 sq ft
my parents sold it for roughly 100k in '02 (which was enough to buy two different houses), so roughly 300% inflation in 20 years

My family homestead (yea I'm a 7th generation texan :clint: ) is a few thousand acres in one of the poorest counties in texas. It's all undivided land so that no one can sell any part of it unless all people living on it agree to it. It's pretty worthless except for the timber, but that get's poached every few years and the trees are probably all dead by now since they are never allowed enough time to grow back. It had cows on it growing up, but they are gone now and the lake on it is probably not fit for watering livestock anymore.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

how do you maintain the ag exemption for property taxes?

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

err posted:

Is there any place in the PNW where things are cheaper?

Eastern Washington anywhere it's inconveniently far to Tri-Cities or Spokane

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

My family homestead (yea I'm a 7th generation texan :clint: ) is a few thousand acres in one of the poorest counties in texas. It's all undivided land so that no one can sell any part of it unless all people living on it agree to it. It's pretty worthless except for the timber, but that get's poached every few years and the trees are probably all dead by now since they are never allowed enough time to grow back. It had cows on it growing up, but they are gone now and the lake on it is probably not fit for watering livestock anymore.

where in texas? you could be sitting on a succulent goldmine my friend

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mr. Sharps posted:

Near the Big Thicket region of Texas.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
my sister is applying for jobs here (vermont) and she said "what's this about a housing shortage?" and I said "oh yea, one of [my spouse]'s friends and her kid had to move to NC because they got booted from their rental because the owner wanted to cash out his 200k place for 450 or whatever, and she could not find another rental within 20 miles because there are none"

poo poo is hosed

I need to accelerate our plan to retrofit the top part of our barn into livable space because I have a sinking feeling a close family member or friend is gonna need that poo poo sooner than I expected.

Random listing, everything is like this. We looked at some stuff very similar to this in 2017 when we bought our house. This would have maybe listed for 225 then.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/570-Jersey-St-Vergennes-VT-05491/224236244_zpid/

:suicide:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Everyone Zillow your childhood home
Mine: $289,500 for a 4 bedroom ranch in a town mostly known for meth

You goddamned bougie fuckers with your childhood homes and concepts of growing up somewhere specific. :argh:

The rent on one of my childhood privatized military-issued 2BRs is now $1263 per month. :(

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

Near the Big Thicket region of Texas.

hm well, give it another couple decades for the climate to push the deserts north and you’ll be peyote king of east texas

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

i say swears online posted:

how do you maintain the ag exemption for property taxes?

Cows. Do nothing to the ground and lease it for grazing to someone willing to shuttle in cows. Collect cash rent and maintain a low tax rate. Or cash rent it to someone for grains, if the soil can support it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Cows. Do nothing to the ground and lease it for grazing to someone willing to shuttle in cows. Collect cash rent and maintain a low tax rate. Or cash rent it to someone for grains, if the soil can support it.

It had cows on it growing up, but they are gone now and the lake on it is probably not fit for watering livestock anymore.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Let it go fallow then. Should be able to keep agricultural tax rate on it as long as you're not doing poo poo with it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you could let a municipality dump sewage on it

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Let it go fallow then. Should be able to keep agricultural tax rate on it as long as you're not doing poo poo with it.

My poor relatives that built houses on it are certainly not doing anything to it, and I doubt they pay taxes (they have no money). The land has been in the family since before it was US territory, and while it was Spain and then Mexico "claimed" land, no one actually lived there, until my ancient relative rolled in from Missouri and staked a claim in the early 1800's. The nearest Native American tribe were the Tonkawa but they didn't actually live around there since there isn't really a close river or anything, they were like ~50miles further east. The family cemetery oldest grave is from 1836.

I really haven no idea how the land is taxed, or if it's a grandfathered plot that is tax exempt :shrug:

euphronius posted:

you could let a municipality dump sewage on it

It's a non-incorporated community, and the closest municipality has water treatment and all those fun modern niceties.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 03:07 on May 19, 2022

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
You could let the mob drop bodies on it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No no municipalities dumping means like small towns in pa let Toronto dump sewage

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There are places in Alaska that don't assess taxes. Those places are often out in the woods with no services and often no roads, but hey, no taxes. Probably safe to assume Texas has something similar.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

There are places in Alaska that don't assess taxes. Those places are often out in the woods with no services and often no roads, but hey, no taxes. Probably safe to assume Texas has something similar.

property taxes are the backbone of state funding. there are partial exemptions for seniors and veterans but texans still pay more than other states. anyone with more than five acres sticks a cow on it and pays nothing, but unproductive land is taxed hard

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I love a good goon project

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

i say swears online posted:

property taxes are the backbone of state funding. there are partial exemptions for seniors and veterans but texans still pay more than other states. anyone with more than five acres sticks a cow on it and pays nothing, but unproductive land is taxed hard

Start a cactus farm.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Start a cactus farm.

Mr. Sharps posted:

cut this other jabroni out of the deal and ill split the profits with you 60 / 40

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
who wouldn't want to live in the radioactive fracking upwelling wasteland of texas

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
When I think about texas, I remember those morons that bought cheap land on their mother's credit card, then spent most of their trip in the mcdonalds parking lot because it had wifi. Texarakkis? Some bullshit like that?

Really dating myself with that, but goddamn was it funny.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Buzzkills in Congress closed Alaska to homesteading in 1986. They still do state and municipal land giveaways though.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Have to be a resident of alaska to get in on those. Alaska also sells state land at auction, but gives preference to residents first.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

http://archive.today/vO9j8

story from here

https://twitter.com/bridgetgillard/status/1527284420805369856?s=21&t=MrLwROY0HLCbRd58hb8SsQ

quote:

A friend who was applying for a $4,500-per-month apartment in the Clinton Hill area, while arranging a showing, was abruptly told by the agent they had already received “multiple strong offers for above $5,000.” (“Don’t people want to see the apartment? What if it has mice??” her husband replied.) Many of the people I spoke to who had been burned in a bidding war went into their next attempt simply offering 10 percent or more over the asking rent to increase their chances — it’s like asking to be findommed, a sexual fetish in which a submissive gets off on sending a dominant money, by a landlord. Except only one side is having a good time.

$5,000 a month?! 60 grand a year, plus deposit, plus the first and last month of your lease or whatever, plus a fee to the broker???? how is this much money just falling onto people in big cities

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

also hello can I get in on the cactus farm

alternatively you could plant a forest of black walnut trees and sell walnut products

and then in like 80 years whatever goon sired some children, their kids can sell the logs for money! or barter them for food

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

wolfs posted:

also hello can I get in on the cactus farm

alternatively you could plant a forest of black walnut trees and sell walnut products

and then in like 80 years whatever goon sired some children, their kids can sell the logs for money! or barter them for food

Unironically my dad’s plan for my brother and me.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

numerrik posted:

Unironically my dad’s plan for my brother and me.

Found the Korok poster

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
was checking zillow listings in my area and found a chainsaw massacre house on my block

Tetanus House

$145,000
3 bd
1 ba
1,360 sqft

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if that house was in austin in 2010 it would be flipped into a bar so loving fast

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

wolfs posted:

http://archive.today/vO9j8

story from here

https://twitter.com/bridgetgillard/status/1527284420805369856?s=21&t=MrLwROY0HLCbRd58hb8SsQ

$5,000 a month?! 60 grand a year, plus deposit, plus the first and last month of your lease or whatever, plus a fee to the broker???? how is this much money just falling onto people in big cities

only rich idiots or ancient boomers live in manhattan

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

wolfs posted:

how is this much money just falling onto people in big cities

i'm from a fairly rural area and it's still weird to see people refer to "the big city" like someone who's never seen a city bus before

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
This house has seen things.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/612-E-Washington-St-Clinton-IL-61727/115607299_zpid/

And has an acre of wood paneling inside.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

looks like it's playing the harmonica

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao that looks like it was an adapted vfw hall

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

You could put so many fuckin plants in this :wooper:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You could if those windows faced south.

E: looks like they face north on the satellite view. Still, plenty of low light house plants would be nice.

E2: midwestern loot box edition

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/506-SE-1st-St-Casey-IL-62420/121468104_zpid/

quote:

It's $10,000 you get what you get! Fix it up or tear it down and have a nice big lot. Fenced yard. This property is for sale only. The propane tank is owned. Not for rent and no contract for deed sales. Property is being sold in as is condition which includes no termite inspection.

CRUSTY MINGE has issued a correction as of 19:21 on May 19, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

inflation has not hit that neighborhood apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lolllll