Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Junpei posted:

I wonder how well Mio and Lonz's AI will be able to coordinate sharing the aggro spotlight to give each other time to recover/heal.

Considering we can swap controlled character in battle?
Worse than Melia's AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Am I remembering things wrong or have they reduced the amount of overlapping voice lines somewhat? Like, you still have people shouting over each other but it's not quite as excessive as I remember from XC2.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

KonvexKonkav posted:

Am I remembering things wrong or have they reduced the amount of overlapping voice lines somewhat? Like, you still have people shouting over each other but it's not quite as excessive as I remember from XC2.

They didn't forget how stupid it could be in XB2

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean this is just a small SAmple

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

When's the Xenoblade direct?!?!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

You'll get a Treehouse segment next month after the Totally Not E3 Direct.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

God I just hope ordering the special edition isn't a hot mess for once

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Omobono posted:

Considering we can swap controlled character in battle?
Worse than Melia's AI.

I'm kind of wondering if we'll get some FF7R-esque thing where cooldowns are reduced when the player controls a character; that was a pretty good system for encouraging switching.

Speaking of cooldowns, I saw someone mention how the characters' cooldowns seem to work differently depending on whether they're from XB1-country or XB2-country (with former just being timed and latter corresponding to auto-attacks).

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yup. And other systems seem to have combined as well, like auto-attacking. Moving around makes you unable to auto-attack like in XB2, but it seems like it doesn't reset your animation, like in XB1. So it's the worst of both worlds! :v:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Could you autoattack on the move in 1? I seem to recall a negative.

I approve the removal of animation canceling*, it was unintended and led to degenerate results; it would also completely obsolete the XB1 half the cast if you kept it in 3.

*For autoattacks, the autos into arts into specials cancels were cool and good.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Being able to move without screwing over your dps was nice though and a large part of why XB2 felt so sluggish. Maybe XB3 having command move skills will help allieviate that though?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think someone said XB1 world characters will auto attack on the move while the XB2 world won't

or was that XB1 have cooldowns while XB2 have hits-recharge-specials

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I've only played and beaten XB1 and you absolutely keep auto attacking while moving around. That was a regular occurrence playing as Shulk trying to get Back Slash to do maximum damage.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

- Ensuring looted equipment is high quality

Be careful with that. 2 quests I can think of can be broken because you don't get the correct drop when using that mod. Even after using the mod that gives you all the important items in the game I still have a quest I can't complete.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

No Dignity posted:

Being able to move without screwing over your dps was nice though and a large part of why XB2 felt so sluggish. Maybe XB3 having command move skills will help allieviate that though?

Stutter stepping and animation cancelling (and being able to move at full speed during Specials (and Arts Recharge pouch items)) makes XB2 a lot faster, though before you learn those tricks it definitely feels wack. The dashing does look really great.

Tae posted:

I think someone said XB1 world characters will auto attack on the move while the XB2 world won't

or was that XB1 have cooldowns while XB2 have hits-recharge-specials

The latter, Noah is a XB1 world character and does not auto on the move.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Stutter attacks doesn’t make XB2 feel less slow and clunky. The fact your characters develop arthritis the second they enter combat is also a major contributing factor.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The strongest enemy in XC had instant death spikes, in case anyone thought spikes wasn’t ridiculous enough.

And the auto attack thing in XC2 allowed you to slightly flick the control stick after Rex’s attack connected to reset the animation and fill the gauge quickly so it wasn’t that bad.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

And the auto attack thing in XC2 allowed you to slightly flick the control stick after Rex’s attack connected to reset the animation and fill the gauge quickly so it wasn’t that bad.

Having to do that sucked rear end actually

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It was pretty dope, but I understand why some wouldn't like it and why they'd remove it

Speaking of dope

https://mobile.twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1526842543161360384

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The dynamic between being able to quickly spam your first auto attack to build arts and arts being stronger if canceled off of later attacks in the auto combo is good, if probably entirely unintentional.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Terper posted:

It was pretty dope, but I understand why some wouldn't like it and why they'd remove it

Speaking of dope

https://mobile.twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1526842543161360384

Hmmm Maktha. Makna Forest + Land of Morytha

Edit: Same thing in Japanese, but switched starting and ending half. So that's definitely intentional.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 18, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

WrightOfWay posted:

The dynamic between being able to quickly spam your first auto attack to build arts and arts being stronger if canceled off of later attacks in the auto combo is good, if probably entirely unintentional.

Yeah it makes XB1 combat feel so sluggish and weak that you can’t do that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Suddenly in the late-ish game my Xenoblade 1 party became strong and can now deal with unique enemies 4-5 levels higher. Finally fought the big Gaur Plain ape and the level 85 ape in Satorl.

I think it's just due to unlocking a bunch of affinity skills + the VI gems (gem crafting is actually pretty simple once you understand the basics). Melia in particular went from mediocre to amazing (I also think that I discovered her DoTs snapshot, so if you use them during her burst phase they do a massive DoT). And Seven, who is already super strong, will unlock "all double attacks are critical hits" soon, which sounds like the most absurd affinity skill yet, since like half her attacks are double hits.

Btw, is there any way to know exactly what the dodge rate on characters is? All I know is "there's some connection between Weight, Agility, and dodge rate."

And related to that - how do you decide which armor type to use? In theory, the difference in defense stats between Light and Heavy armor (which is kind of small) doesn't seem to make up for "having a high dodge rate" vs "not having a high dodge rate," but it'd be easier to tell if I actually knew what the dodge rate was with different levels of weight/agility. I'm also not clear on what blocking does; does it reduce or completely negate damage?

Shyfted One posted:

Be careful with that. 2 quests I can think of can be broken because you don't get the correct drop when using that mod. Even after using the mod that gives you all the important items in the game I still have a quest I can't complete.

Thanks for mentioning that; I'll turn that off until I start to actually run into grind issues.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 18, 2022

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
If you think that skill alone makes Seven absurd, put a high-level Haste gem on their weapon to turn them into even more of a murder-blender.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One other XB1 question - how does XP/AP gain work? It seems like all party members gain the same XP even if they're not in the party, but if that's the case why does Riki have skills that say "give the same XP/AP even if not in the party"? Also, do XP/AP gems increase XP/AP on non-active party members?

OhFunny posted:

Edit: Same thing in Japanese, but switched starting and ending half. So that's definitely intentional.

I hope that they have a mix of both these "mash-up" areas and completely new areas (rather than literally every zone being a XB1 and XB2 zone smashed together).

Manoueverable posted:

If you think that skill alone makes Seven absurd, put a high-level Haste gem on their weapon to turn them into even more of a murder-blender.

I also have one of those, though I think only a V and not a VI yet.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ytlaya posted:

Btw, is there any way to know exactly what the dodge rate on characters is? All I know is "there's some connection between Weight, Agility, and dodge rate."

I don't recall the detalied formulas out of hand, but the baseline is that the agility difference between attacker and defender adds or removes 1% to the hit rate; level difference also goes the same way so each extra level is equivalent to one more agility point.

So if an enemy is hitting Dunban one every two attacks (50%), equipping a 25 agi gem would reduce the hit rate to 25% and a 50 agi gem would completely remove any chance of getting hit.

I have no idea how direct accuracy boosts work (e.g. night vision gems, +X% hit chance at night).

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Also enemies at 5 and 10 levels above you (basically once they get the scarier nameplates) get arbitrary +hit and +evasion on top of their stats.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

This reminds me that I hope XB3 has another ridiculous build like Naked Dunban.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Pants Donkey posted:

Stutter attacks doesn’t make XB2 feel less slow and clunky. The fact your characters develop arthritis the second they enter combat is also a major contributing factor.

It helps you feel faster once you're going, though. There are also items and equipment to start off in higher levels of coordination (plus pulling out a special gives you the movement boost).

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s not a mechanic I hate, in fact it’d be worse if we had to rely on the recharge food or Mythra to get anywhere. It’s just the lack of mobile auto-attacking combined with the slower movement speed that makes it feel awkward at times.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Since it's on the box art and everything, you gotta figure Uraya + Mechonis Sword will also be fused together zone. Traveling vertically up the sword while the insides of Uraya surround you and has grown into and around it...! The zone makes itself!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The World Tree merged with Mechonis Field to make the most bland location possible.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1526986001180155909

Keep that slow drip coming. Hopefully we'll get a Xenoblade Direct.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

glassyalabolas posted:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1526986001180155909

Keep that slow drip coming. Hopefully we'll get a Xenoblade Direct.

This looks more like Makna combined with Morytha than the other zone (and unquestionably Morytha buildings, while the other zone feels like the buildings could pass for XB1 Homs architecture), though I guess Morytha buildings could be in a variety of places since they're kind of more numerous than any non-Morytha buildings in the world of XB2 (and the forest zone's buildings also look more like Morytha ones than anything else).

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

And related to that - how do you decide which armor type to use? In theory, the difference in defense stats between Light and Heavy armor (which is kind of small) doesn't seem to make up for "having a high dodge rate" vs "not having a high dodge rate," but it'd be easier to tell if I actually knew what the dodge rate was with different levels of weight/agility. I'm also not clear on what blocking does; does it reduce or completely negate damage?

The weight stat subtracts from agi. Heavy armor prioritizes physical over ether def, and light armor is the opposite. The weight penalty can build up with a full set of heavy gear, though skills that reduce armor weight can help.

For endgame/postgame builds, can't go wrong with the Hierax (light) or Lancelot (med) gear. Heavy armor carries too much of a penalty to weight and ether def for me. Dunban has a skill that boosts light armor stats by 15%, which is very nice. The Glory (med) equipment is probably best just going by stats, but since it's unique you're stuck with the preset gems.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Manoueverable posted:

Seven is unique in that you can just buy several very good pieces of armor with Haste already on them almost immediately, freeing up a weapon slot. Granted, the final version of said armor maxes out at 45% instead of 50%, but that 5% difference is well worth a gem slot. Especially given they have an aura that makes them go even faster.

Or to put it another way:

(source)

OhFunny posted:

:psyboom:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

everyone! let's NYOOOOOOM

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

Seven is unique in that you can just buy several very good pieces of armor with Haste already on them almost immediately, freeing up a weapon slot. Granted, the final version of said armor maxes out at 45% instead of 50%, but that 5% difference is well worth a gem slot. Especially given they have an aura that makes them go even faster.

Or to put it another way:

(source)

Seven wearing 5 haste gems, activating Speed Shift and warping right into the SpeedForce

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mea Tulpa posted:

The weight stat subtracts from agi. Heavy armor prioritizes physical over ether def, and light armor is the opposite. The weight penalty can build up with a full set of heavy gear, though skills that reduce armor weight can help.

For endgame/postgame builds, can't go wrong with the Hierax (light) or Lancelot (med) gear. Heavy armor carries too much of a penalty to weight and ether def for me. Dunban has a skill that boosts light armor stats by 15%, which is very nice. The Glory (med) equipment is probably best just going by stats, but since it's unique you're stuck with the preset gems.

It seems like high weight is a big problem if it deducts Agility, since isn't Agility necessarily for accuracy against higher level things, at least for physical attacks (and from what I understand the end-game stuff will always be higher-level than you since it gets >100)? I've been mostly using the two armor sets you mention (as much as I can, don't have enough to equip everyone). Reyn and Melia are the only ones using heavy armor currently (I equipped Melia since I figure if she's doing Ether stuff it won't be as important).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

There's only five enemies above 99 and not all of those need Night Vision BS. The later ones are a little harder for Melly/Riki/Sharla due to NV not affecting Ether Accuracy.