Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Ironhead posted:

I also just realized how many songs I was familiar with that were sung by Frankie Valli.
I absolutely could not believe that the original version of Måneskin's "Beggin"" was a goddamned Frankie Valli song. (I don't otherwise like Valli or the Four Seasons and have never seen Jersey Boys, so I'd never heard his version till I went looking for it some months ago.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

I absolutely could not believe that the original version of Måneskin's "Beggin"" was a goddamned Frankie Valli song. (I don't otherwise like Valli or the Four Seasons and have never seen Jersey Boys, so I'd never heard his version till I went looking for it some months ago.)

Where were you when Cyriak's music video was making the rounds on the Internet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN3kC_4xURA

e: I forgot Cyriak was b3ta, not Something Awful.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Where were you when Cyriak's music video was making the rounds on the Internet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN3kC_4xURA

e: I forgot Cyriak was b3ta, not Something Awful.
Elsewhere, apparently. None of this rings any bells.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Oh holy crap THAT song! I've never known what the original was, apparently what version I've heard, or what the lyrics actually were. I always thought it was something in Hindi.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I never thought about placing the fan not in the window but maybe a few feet away would make such a difference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L2ef1CP-yw
It's about optimum fan placement in a window (for exhausting heat) another goon was saying sealing the fan to the window would work just as well.

Also any technology connections YouTube I watch

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Hyperlynx posted:

I just found out that the Red Hot Chili Peppers track Scar Tissue is played with a slide. Really obvious in retrospect. I've always just used string bending and ordinary slides.
Just wait till you figure out that they suck rear end

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I never thought about placing the fan not in the window but maybe a few feet away would make such a difference.
It's about optimum fan placement in a window (for exhausting heat) another goon was saying sealing the fan to the window would work just as well.

This fuckin dork doesn't get it, you gotta put the exhaust fan on the sunnier side of the house higher up and the intake fan on the shady side lower down, then put a thermometer and wind meter somewhere in the middle of the house.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

All of that and he didn't compare it to using a window fan?

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I don't know, I do like that one song they have about sex and drugs in california.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Red Hot Chili Peppers has a lot of really good songs and it is really narrow-minded to speak so broadly about a band whose oeuvre encompasses a wide spectrum of styles and themes, not to mention actual generations between now and when they started. Their old stuff sounds nothing like their new stuff; I personally don't like much of the new stuff, except I really did like that one song that was on Californication but wasn't Californication and wasn't Scar Tissue :\

Edit: by "new stuff" I mean Californication and on. jfc I'm showing my age and curmudgeonry.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Mandatory for ChiPeps discussion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQWfMI4CVFI

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I think I've seen all of his videos because they get linked elsewhere and I've never actually finished one or gotten more than a couple minutes in really.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

credburn posted:

Red Hot Chili Peppers has a lot of really good songs and it is really narrow-minded to speak so broadly about a band whose oeuvre encompasses a wide spectrum of styles and themes, not to mention actual generations between now and when they started. Their old stuff sounds nothing like their new stuff; I personally don't like much of the new stuff, except I really did like that one song that was on Californication but wasn't Californication and wasn't Scar Tissue :\
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3YP0euyiro

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
stuff i can't believe i didn't just figure out: there are a lot of boring, lovely killjoys on the internet that want everyone else to be as miserable and alone as they are

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

moonmazed posted:

stuff i can't believe i didn't just figure out: there are a lot of boring, lovely killjoys on the internet that want everyone else to be as miserable and alone as they are
oh put some cornstarch on it

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
if everyone you meet is an rear end in a top hat the problem is probably elsewhere

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

The trick is to not care whether it's any good, and enjoy it anyway.

Or don't enjoy it, that's perfectly valid too. Whatever floats your boat.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Hyperlynx posted:

Not really a boat person but if I was I think I'd go with water? That seems like a popular choice

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The people that go with the second most popular choice are always really weird about their decision.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hyperlynx posted:

The trick is to not care whether it's any good, and enjoy it anyway.

But that's not how you earn your rep here. You have to poo poo on things people like in the most dismissive way possible. If you can belittle their intellect while doing so, all the better.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I honestly am more okay with people complaining about something that's popular than all the people who are getting way too defensive about their extremely popular thing being poo poo on.

The Internet is a space to shout your unpopular opinion at. There's also a thread here specifically for that. But it can go here, too. We can all be friends.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Not really a boat person but if I was I think I'd go with water? That seems like a popular choice

I nearly went with "whatever floats your goat", but changed it at the last moment. Boy do I feel silly now!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

credburn posted:

Edit: by "new stuff" I mean Californication and on. jfc I'm showing my age and curmudgeonry.

Almost nothing pre californication gets played tho so they're really easy to hate until one of "their" good songs comes on

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

500excf type r posted:

Almost nothing pre californication gets played tho so they're really easy to hate until one of "their" good songs comes on

Give It Away, Under the Bridge and their Higher Ground cover don’t get played?

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Stereogum's The Number Ones column has been all about Puff Daddy/Notorious B.I.G over the last couple of weeks. I don’t know anything about rap so I’ve been learning a lot.

I was 11 years old at the time I'll Be Missing You was a hit. It’s one of those songs that I’ve been aware of but never really gave much thought. All I knew was that the vocals were by Biggie's wife. But all these years I’d thought it was weird how she did that song, then switched to country pop. I’ve never questioned it though.

It was Faith Evans. Not Faith Hill. They’re different people. :downs:

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Rhcp much like guns and roses were so overplayed during my life I have reached my quota. I'm still not sick of pink floyd, Deftones and many other bands, somehow though.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Creature posted:

Stereogum's The Number Ones column has been all about Puff Daddy/Notorious B.I.G over the last couple of weeks. I don’t know anything about rap so I’ve been learning a lot.

I was 11 years old at the time I'll Be Missing You was a hit. It’s one of those songs that I’ve been aware of but never really gave much thought. All I knew was that the vocals were by Biggie's wife. But all these years I’d thought it was weird how she did that song, then switched to country pop. I’ve never questioned it though.

It was Faith Evans. Not Faith Hill. They’re different people. :downs:

I'll Be Missing You is the laziest song ever made. I normally don't like covers because they often just sound like the original, but this song isn't even a cover, nor is it even sampling. It's just changing most of the lyrics to an already existing song. It's a Weird Al song that isn't funny.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Window means “wind door”

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Panefully silly

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Didn't watch the video yet, but I imagine most people , even if we all KNEW optimum placement might be a few feet in front of the window, just can't do that.

Like...I both need a couple feet of free space in front of the window with no furniture and not where I'll walk, and like a platform to put the fan on? Or a big enough pedestal fan that'll be high enough?

Though maybe he addresses that, like I said, didn't watch the vid yet but I prob will.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Window means “wind door”

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Window means “wind door”

Not quite, there did used to be an Old English term for window "eagduru" which meant "eye door" and an Old Frisian term "andern" which meant "breath-door" but they both fell out of use. 'Window' comes from the Old Norse term "vindauga" which translates as "wind eye".
https://www.etymonline.com/word/window

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Window means “wind door”

Only when said by Lili Von Shtüpp.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Not quite, there did used to be an Old English term for window "eagduru" which meant "eye door" and an Old Frisian term "andern" which meant "breath-door" but they both fell out of use. 'Window' comes from the Old Norse term "vindauga" which translates as "wind eye".
https://www.etymonline.com/word/window

Which just makes “eyes are the windows to the soul”
weirder.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Thanks to Todd In The Shadows I just figured out that "Don't Worry, Be Happy" is an acapella song. It's pretty obvious in hindsight, I guess I just never felt the need to listen closely because it sounds like just a "regular" song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noow9NqBvA8

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The title to the Warpaint song "Disco//very" is the word "discovery" :cripes:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Sir Lemming posted:

Thanks to Todd In The Shadows I just figured out that "Don't Worry, Be Happy" is an acapella song. It's pretty obvious in hindsight, I guess I just never felt the need to listen closely because it sounds like just a "regular" song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noow9NqBvA8

I never noticed this until you mentioned it. Now I am terrified that there is going to be this wave of confirmation bias, where I'll see person after person after person make this discovery and it'll feel weird as gently caress.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I seem to remember the whole thing about Bobby McFerrin and Don't Worry in particular being "hey guys listen to this, the guy's doing it all with his mouth!" Like that was the first thing you'd hear about it, even before the song.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I absolutely never knew it was Acapella and it wasn't until that Todd video that I had any inkling the performer was, apparently, one of the greatest jazz vocalists of the time. The actual singing of the lyrics isn't any thing special (apparently intentionally?) So to me it always sat in the "I'm too sexy" category of a novelty song by a singer without much actual ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

theres a couple fun clips where he does some crowd participation pentatonic scale stuff