Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I can't get a clear count on the no. of wins/losses for trump endorsees; is there a tally somewhere?

Going by this summary, and not counting PA Senate or the unopposed, it looks like 16 of the trump guys won & 2-3 lost.

Is that right?

eta my tally:

W
Mastrioano
Budd
Crapo
Paul
Guthrie
Massie
Rogers
Barr
Budd
Murphy
Foxx
Rouzer
Hudson
McHenry
Hines
Bognet

L
Cawthorn
McGeachin
Herbster

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Willa Rogers posted:

I can't get a clear count on the no. of wins/losses for trump endorsees; is there a tally somewhere?

Going by this summary, and not counting PA Senate or the unopposed, it looks like 16 of the trump guys won & 2-3 lost.

Is that right?

Yeah, but most of them were unopposed or safe incumbents.

In the competitive races yesterday, it was 4 Trump endorsements won, 3 Trump Endorsements lost, and 1 is still undecided.

In Ohio, he swept 2 - 0 among competitive races.

In Texas, he endorsed Ken Paxton who didn't win enough to avoid a runoff, but will probably win the runoff.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yeah, but most of them were unopposed or safe incumbents.

I said this:

"Going by this summary, and not counting PA Senate or the unopposed, it looks like 16 of the trump guys won & 2-3 lost." That tally turned out to be correct.

I think it's funny that the Politico story that purports to tally the Trump-endorsed wins not only doesn't do that, but adds caveats for the winning "insurrectionists" in the most HOW DARE YOU SIR! fashion.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

That is exactly the point. The discrepancy between the House performance and the Senate performance.

They blew 5 Senate seats with extremely winnable races in 2010. Mike Castle was polling 25+ points ahead of Chris Coons (who volunteered for the race as a sacrificial lamb and ended up a Senator) and had been a Republican Governor in Delaware for 8 years and had been re-elected to a statewide office in Delaware every election cycle since 1969.

They should have had control of the Senate - 2010 was a historic disaster of a midterm for Democrats and Republicans still managed to lose the Senate by blowing races in West Virginia of all places. And they followed that up by blowing Senate races in Montana, North Dakota, Florida, Missouri, Indiana, Ohio, and Virginia by nominating terrible candidates.

Blowing 12 Senate seats in 2 years - including races where you had 25+ point leads or in states that are R+30 - during the same year you had the largest midterm victory for your party in history is ridiculous. Especially since every single one of those races were "Solid R" or "Lean R" before they nominated their candidate.

This is a whole lot of words to explain how the Dems weren't as brutally owned in the 2010 midterms as they could've been, even though the Dems were brutally owned in the 2010 midterms.

eta: I'll give you credit for your take, though, because this is the first one I think I've ever seen trying to argue that the Dems weren't brutally owned in the 2010 midterms.

vvv lol, I read it just fine.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 18, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

This is a whole lot of words to explain how the Dems weren't as brutally owned in the 2010 midterms as they could've been, even though the Dems were brutally owned in the 2010 midterms.

eta: I'll give you credit for your take, though, because this is the first one I think I've ever seen trying to argue that the Dems weren't brutally owned in the 2010 midterms.

I think you may need to read again if that is the take you got from it.

It's about relative difference. Having 5 extra Senate seats would have been a huge deal for Republicans and they were all safe seats that they only lost because of candidates.

If you actually don't understand, then you can use this simpler metaphor:

If someone wins $1 million in the lottery, then buys a Princess Diana 1997 Commemorative Beanie Baby for $900,000, you would not argue "Wow, this person is really good with money because they started with $0 and ended up with $100,000!"

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

2010 was a historic disaster of a midterm for Democrats

Willa Rogers posted:

vvv lol, I read it just fine.

:confused:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Willa Rogers posted:

Were you so focused on laying sick burns that you missed that this was exactly what LT was saying. "A massive blowout could have been far worse, and here's why" is an interesting point of discussion, so perhaps just chill?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I pointed out that this was the first take I've seen that puts a rosy kind of spin for Dems on the 2010 midterms, even when it's couched as "it could've been worse." Nothing more, nothing less; there's no need for discord over or hyperfocus on what I said.

The only sick burn here is the one that the Dems suffered in 2010.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Willa Rogers posted:

I pointed out that this was the first take I've seen that puts a rosy kind of spin for Dems on the 2010 midterms, even when it's couched as "it could've been worse." Nothing more, nothing less; there's no need for discord or hyperfocus.

You just completely failed to read the post, made a snarky comment that illustrated that, and then got called on it. your mindset is so focused on 'dems bad' and 'Leon bad' that you didn't even make a salient point. The gimmick is combative and tiring.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Only two of Trump’s backed candidates lost? Dude has the midus touch for Republicans.

Dems are probably praying for another 2010 or 2012, where every single economic, political, and geographic fundamental absolutely should have resulted in the Republicans taking the Senate with a 2 to 4 seat majority, but they had crazy people nominated and constantly blow it by talking about legitimate rape, witchcraft, or being someone that Republican primary voters loved who was hated by the state at large.
And look at where we are today. Washington is filled with those crazies.

The Republicans don’t have the best track record for battles but they almost always win the war.

They keep pushing further right candidates until the public accepts them.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I genuinely admire Leon for his dedication, and I've said so.

I read the post, I disagreed with his spin on the 2010 midterms, and I pointed out the rarity of the take that the utter disaster could've been worse.

If you have any further issue with my posts about the 2010 midterms, then go to a moderator over it, because what's actually tiring & combative is arguing over my intent after my words have made it clear.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Willa Rogers posted:

I pointed out that this was the first take I've seen that puts a rosy kind of spin for Dems on the 2010 midterms, even when it's couched as "it could've been worse." Nothing more, nothing less;

"Historic disaster" is a "rosy spin"?

quote:

there's no need for discord over or hyperfocus on what I said.

You wrote two sentences, and the key phrase in both of them was "argue that the Dems weren't brutally owned".

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

My favorite part of D&D are the mod approved dog piles of Willa.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Willa Rogers posted:

I read the post, I disagreed with his spin on the 2010 midterms, and I pointed out the rarity of the take that the utter disaster could've been worse.

Your summary of his supposed "spin" was wrong, though.

quote:

If you have any further issue with my posts about the 2010 midterms, then go to a moderator over it, because what's actually tiring & combative is arguing over my intent after my words have made it clear.

When you make a post, people are allowed to respond to it and criticize. That's how a message board works.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 18, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

I pointed out that this was the first take I've seen that puts a rosy kind of spin for Dems on the 2010 midterms, even when it's couched as "it could've been worse." Nothing more, nothing less; there's no need for discord over or hyperfocus on what I said.

You still seem to be fundamentally misunderstanding what everyone is saying if your take is that it was "rosy spin."

I can try to think of an easier to digest metaphor than the one already posted.

- BOB hits himself in the face with a hammer sometimes.

- BOB decides to try and murder JOHN.

- JOHN knows that BOB sometimes hits himself in the face with a hammer.

- Based on this previous knowledge, JOHN hopes that BOB picks a hammer as his murder weapon, because it means there is a chance he will hit himself in the face with it.

- JOHN does not want to be murdered, but he thinks that if BOB tried to murder him, then he would have a small chance of escaping if BOB used the hammer instead of a shotgun.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Willa Rogers posted:

I genuinely admire your ability to be the way you are. I just read your post, disagreed with the spin you put on it and pointed out the rarity of which your posts actually say anything resembling an actual argument instead of a passive toxic comment.

probably no need to invoke moderation when we are just discussing our genuine admiration for posting respectively.

EDIT this was uncalled for and I should not use Willa's terrible posting to post terribly myself.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 18, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

^^^ Cool! Always glad to entertain the discord over my posting.

Xombie posted:

"Historic disaster" is a "rosy spin"?

Yes, when it's followed by "look at how much worse it could've been," a novel argument I don't believe I've ever seen before, as I've said.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Hey, it could be worse, and used to be, back when the mods led the dogpiles. :wink:

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Willa Rogers posted:

Yes, when it's followed by "look at how much worse it could've been," a novel argument I don't believe I've ever seen before, as I've said.

That seems to be you "inserting intent when their words were clear".

quote:

Hey, it could be worse, and used to be, back when the mods led the dogpiles. :wink:

Once again, you post something, multiple people are allowed to respond to it. That's the format of a message board.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

Is responding to a bad argument in D&D dogpiling now?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

What's the latest word on Schrader? Is it because Oregon's all mail-in that the race hasn't been called?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Willa Rogers posted:

What's the latest word on Schrader? Is it because Oregon's all mail-in that the race hasn't been called?

https://twitter.com/redistrict/status/1526928469292195841?s=21&t=vKzBGOdo4g1pi6P9xQZaxw

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Leadership's embrace of Schrader was pretty cringe but I love being reminded that voters actually decide who our candidates are.

\/\/\/\/ Oh poo poo! :unsmith:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Amazing news; thanks, FlamingLiberal!

I might have to start believing in electoralism again if these succers keep losing primaries.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Dr. Oz and Trump claiming that the mail-in votes will push Oz out of recount territory and validate his win is pretty :ironicat:

Trump did leave himself an out just in case the mail-in ballots push McCormick ahead, though:

https://twitter.com/DailyMail/status/1526910251362140163

I thought that was where all the fraud happens? Or is the argument that they fixed all that now?

Man, I can't emphasize enough how seething and hostile the dislike for Biden is in red counties and people should take note. I over casual conversations, like the one today, about how someone needs to murder the president and then the other people are like, well, we can't cause then we get Harris and "those people" will riot in the streets and so forth. It's chilling. These republican voters are supposed to be the Patriot Christians but this isn't the first time I've overheard calls for outright assassination. Pelosi gets mentioned a lot.

WTF is patriotic or christian about murdering the leader of your country?

Occasionally - in fact usually - I'll interject some push back when I hear poo poo like this but today it was at MY JOB from a copier repair man talking to a loving manager. Popping off my big mouth might be a good way to gently caress my job up, and that bothers me more than anything I guess since I feel like a loving sellout but, gently caress. This stays with and eats at me. This administration has been a complete disaster for which there is no defense but I'm gonna pull up way short of advocating political assassinations as domestic policy, regardless of who is in the White House.

poo poo is REAL bad out there and you can cut the loving tension with knife. People are going to associate these years with Democratic Party government, and they're not wrong, but then I consider the alternative and wonder just what the gently caress happened? I don't share optimism about the mid terms or 2024 and all I see is a country more than willing to embrace theocratic fascism over doing absolutely nothing.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
"Republicans (or Democrats) tend to fumble numerous winnable elections even in wave years with the wind of circumstance at their backs" doesn't really seem a new or controversial statement here or in general political discourse. Nor does suggesting that candidate quality is a big reason why. I'm not sure why anyone would be gawping at someone pointing out examples of how it's happened in the past.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

My "I never hit anyone with a frying pan or ran anyone over" slogan will finally have a market

https://twitter.com/SandySmithNC/status/1524474917881843716

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My "never hit anyone with a frying pan or a car" T-shirt campaign slogan has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt slogan

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's not a dogpile to have 2 or 3 people disagree with you, they are debating and discussing and doing a bad job of not being snippy with each other. On that note, how about we shut the gently caress up about the 2010 midterms because we have the 2010 midterms "at home" AKA the 2022 midterms, and maybe we can get back to discussing that. Leon and Willa both have a lot of insightful, often conflicting takes and sources, and I think each of them brings value to D and D regardless.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

gently caress yeah fetterman

Establish Democrat Media (CNN) was already attacking him. Very disappointing as he looks like the strongest democrat politically in quite some time.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm also hearing the "nobody wants to work" poo poo everywhere I go but isn't the unemployment rate like historically low?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

VideoGameVet posted:

Establish Democrat Media (CNN) was already attacking him. Very disappointing as he looks like the strongest democrat politically in quite some time.

What did they do? The only commentary from anchors I heard yesterday were them swooning over "tall and manly Democrat is what they need to win back the white working class! Not weak and nerdy looking like usual!"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm also hearing the "nobody wants to work" poo poo everywhere I go but isn't the unemployment rate like historically low?
Correct

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BiggerBoat posted:

If the unemployment rate is too high, then nobody wants to work.

If the unemployment rate is historically low and businesses can't fill their positions because people won't settle for the bottom-tier of jobs when there are more job openings than people, then nobody wants to work.

The answer is always that nobody wants to work.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Sort of like how "a few bad apples" leaves out the "spoils the bunch" part, "Nobody wants to work" typically leaves off the "for starvation wages" finishing sentiment.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

There's a few levels in which it's wrong:

1) Absolute statements (nobody) are very easy to disprove.

2) Caveats are needed: "Nobody wants to work [for the wages I'm offering for my job opening]". The free market giveth and the free market taketh.

3) A lot of people did drop out of the workforce due to covid, and that's what they may be referencing, but generally they dropped out as they retired, had disabilities, needed to care for family members (reminder: some open jobs don't pay enough to justify the cost of daycare, and a lot of kids still intermittently teleschool), or went back to school. These people have not been offered appropriate incentives to get them back in the workforce.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VideoGameVet posted:

Professional Centrist idiot sieve Michael Smerconish was dedicating his whole show today to Fetterman's "dishonest" handling of his health problem (that everybody fully understood on election day) and it was so, so obvious he was just furious that the perfect avatar of his useless political views, Conor Lamb, got destroyed by a leftist candidate, and in Smerconish's home state no less.

MSNBC seems reasonably pro-Fetterman to me. (Though I'm sure Morning Joe isn't.) He was a heavy contributor for their 2020 election coverage.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Gumball Gumption posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hi, mod here: Nobody is 'approving' dogpiles of Willa, US CE is one of the least moderated threads because the posters make it near impossible to moderate this thread regularly. Shut the gently caress up about poo poo like this, if you have feedback for the Moderation team, highly recommend you PM Koos or an Admin and quit bitching about management openly like this

Professor Beetus posted:

It's not a dogpile to have 2 or 3 people disagree with you, they are debating and discussing and doing a bad job of not being snippy with each other. On that note, how about we shut the gently caress up about the 2010 midterms because we have the 2010 midterms "at home" AKA the 2022 midterms, and maybe we can get back to discussing that. Leon and Willa both have a lot of insightful, often conflicting takes and sources, and I think each of them brings value to D and D regardless.

Also this: You are in Debate and Discussion. Don't want to Debate and Discuss and only post without engagement? You are in the wrong forum.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

If the unemployment rate is historically low and businesses can't fill their positions because people won't settle for the bottom-tier of jobs when there are more job openings than people, then nobody wants to work.

Is there any data on labor participation? I’m wondering just how many people have dropped out of the labor force.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

It is, but their complaint actually has a subtext "at minimum wage, with terrible working conditions, and maybe some sexual harassment".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is there any data on labor participation? I’m wondering just how many people have dropped out of the labor force.
Currently 62.4%. Was 63.4% before Covid, and bottomed out at 60.2%.

Before the great recession it was 66%; all time high was 67.3% in 2000.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CIVPART