Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
I bet it's because of 4chan. Everyone is always blaming SA for 4chan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Isn't there some crazy true fact where because Jeri Ryan got hired to do Star Trek Voyager, her then husband (who was a politician in Illinois) had some skeletons come to light, which lead to Obama getting elected president? I know there's more steps, but that's the gist of it.

I could see some way of connecting dots where Lowtax used registration funds to buy mail order cookies, which was a shell company owned by Trump, which indirectly contributed to his campaign in fly over states.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I wish I understood pacing better, telling a story 4 - 8 panels at a time is excruciatingly long, but it's really only been 5 pages of fighting, which is I guess how long it takes one piece to clear out minor characters.

I wish I could do 18 pages a week, like the shonen jump people do, or like 9 even, or 7.

Then again I guess I did just do two pages in a day.

Boba Pearl has a new favorite as of 15:01 on May 18, 2022

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Specifically Something Awful or just the Internet?

https://twitter.com/daleberan/status/1156232731061305345?s=21&t=y4mCJEHJ1IRs-Fbvh4jPOw

It sounds like most of the real blame falls on 4chan etc.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

In fact that blurb implies the book as a whole is about 4chan. I think Something Awful just made for a better name to put in the title?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I assume it's like a film called "It came from space!" probably isn't much about space.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

CzarChasm posted:

Isn't there some crazy true fact where because Jeri Ryan got hired to do Star Trek Voyager, her then husband (who was a politician in Illinois) had some skeletons come to light, which lead to Obama getting elected president? I know there's more steps, but that's the gist of it.

I could see some way of connecting dots where Lowtax used registration funds to buy mail order cookies, which was a shell company owned by Trump, which indirectly contributed to his campaign in fly over states.
yes, Jack Ryan was running against Obama as a Republican until

Wikipedia posted:

His 2004 campaign for the Senate, against Barack Obama, received widespread media attention for the disclosure of sealed custody documents stemming from his divorce from actress Jeri Ryan. The unsealing of those documents, detailing allegations that Ryan had pressured his wife to perform sexual acts in public, led to Ryan's withdrawal from the campaign.[2]
of course he was trailing 52-30 in polls before that, but it's way funnier to be like "7 of 9 made Obama president"

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Prairie Bus posted:

Sincerely, thanks for posting these. I stopped following the comic when it first ended, and it’s been great to see these later additions. I looked up the authors, and Dale Beran’s still doing comics (sometimes). He also wrote a book blaming Something Awful for Trump’s ascendancy.

lol didn't know that it was that guy

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

lol i didn't know it was him either. he artist David Hellman appears to have created a gaming studio and may also be drawing new stuff for the forthcoming Braid Anniversary Edition (which I didn't know was in the works either)

https://twitter.com/davidhellman?lang=en

https://twitter.com/furnimatgames/status/1513501871666651138

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

vyelkin posted:

Transdimensional Brain Chip

I haven't been sure of how I felt about TBC since the angels showed up. That plan had an entertaining reveal, but it seems like the comic shifted a lot in focus from then on in a way that I haven't enjoyed as much. Brain Chip Aisha seems like a promising plot thread though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DACK FAYDEN posted:

yes, Jack Ryan was running against Obama
I lost track of the conversation and did a hell of a double take

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Splicer posted:

I lost track of the conversation and did a hell of a double take

That does sound like a Tom Clancy premise.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Come And See posted:

Rice Boy hasn't been posted in a while. I appreciated flavor.flv sharing it.

Sorry, I got fired for unspecified "misuse of company property," so I haven't had a laptop to post from in a while

Luckily, it was a natural stopping point right at the end of book I, so let's just jump right back in with Rice Boy Book II

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

vyelkin posted:

156. Do you believe?

Maybe this is revealed in the next comic but

Angel: You may leave now.
Vera: Let's leave now.
Angel: *murders Vera*

is confusing me.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I assume the angel killed her since she's now a Christian and will go to Heaven, to avoid the risk of the Buddha bots converting her.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Crowetron posted:

I assume the angel killed her since she's now a Christian and will go to Heaven, to avoid the risk of the Buddha bots converting her.

Intuitively obvious, and I feel the dodge is "I no longer believe in Jesus"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So now that there a millions of aisha, how does that interact with the ulfmind?

Option a) ulf's brainchip only tracks one specific timeline, only one aisha is in a universe with the ulfmind and the millions of others experienced an abrupt disconnect (but actually this is happening to a near infinite number of chipped ulfs and we are only able to see the ones still connected)

Option b) aisha's chip also causes the new ulf to be networked as well, so the ulfmind is growing at the same rate and ulf can see that there are suddenly more ulfs

Either way seems like aisha is very visible and in trouble, unless ulf is too preoccupied fighting the angels

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
New Adventures of the Duck Avenger

I mean, I'm not sure a frontal assault is the strategy I'd pick when taking on an invading army as a single dude, but hey, I'm sure it'll work out. Probably?

Cooked Auto posted:

So I thought the comment in the last frame felt a bit too obvious, turns out that's a reference to one of Scrooge's adventures, Last Sled to Dawson by Don Rosa.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Sled_to_Dawson

Oh hey cool! I assumed it was a reference to Scrooge McDuck, but didn't pick up that it referred to a specific story.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Tunicate posted:

Option a) ulf's brainchip only tracks one specific timeline, only one aisha is in a universe with the ulfmind and the millions of others experienced an abrupt disconnect (but actually this is happening to a near infinite number of chipped ulfs and we are only able to see the ones still connected)

Option b) aisha's chip also causes the new ulf to be networked as well, so the ulfmind is growing at the same rate and ulf can see that there are suddenly more ulfs

Either way seems like aisha is very visible and in trouble, unless ulf is too preoccupied fighting the angels

My assumption is that, since in Aisha's world there already are billions of Ulfs, each split of hers will double the Ulfs again

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
Don't the Ulfs and Aishas exist anyway, and the chip's only letting them share minds?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Concerned: The Half-Life and Death of Gordon Frohman

Posing Notes: The soldier walking by and waving amiably in the background of panel 2 is "That guy Chad", and Frohman was supposed to be pointing to him. But Frohman's arm just looked all weird when I had it stretched out like that, so I nixed it.

Notice I've already forgotten to put barrels in the background of these comics. That didn't take long.

Title Reference: The second chapter of HL2 is called "A Red Letter Day". My title foreshadows that one of Frohman's letters to Dr. Breen will actually be read, but I wound up abandoning the comic in which that happens because it sucked. So, there you have it. More fascinating insight into the process.

I really just wanted to use the giant videoscreen and Combine Advisor for something. You only really glimpse him for a few seconds when you're playing the game, once near the start and once near the end, as Dr. Breen talks to him. Again, he's on a video screen, which means he's hidden somewhere on the map in a little chamber in front of a camera in order to show up onscreen. Took me a while, but I found him. He moves around a little and makes some cool noises.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

My assumption is that, since in Aisha's world there already are billions of Ulfs, each split of hers will double the Ulfs again

That was my assumption as will, since (as far as I know) any new split still just duplicates the existing world at that moment, so I think it would continue working the same way as it has.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

it's just that SA spawned 4chan which spawned /pol/ which spawned QAnon and churned out infinity pro-trump memes during the election

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

There's also c) each split of Aisha's creates one new unique timeline for each Ulf in which that Ulf is connected to an Ulf in a timeline with a new Aisha and is connected to all other Ulfs connected to the same Aisha, but no others. Essentially, every Aisha split is dealing with an entire unique Ulfmind cloud split off at the same time, with all the universes that entails. Since the brain chips only connect to new timelines, there would currently be no way for any given Ulf to cross-connect to an Ulf dealing with a different Aisha (although if a large number of Ulfs set their minds to studying transdimensional mechanics they could probably figure it out.)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tunicate posted:

The chip isn't causing timeline splits, it maintains a connection between naturally splitting timelines as they diverge. Divergence is happening constantly without chips maintaining connections. The entire universe is multiplying every moment, they're just not talking to each other.

Let's look at week 3. Ulf is in a network of 8 Ulfs. Each moment the universes of those 8 Ulfs and their connections to each other are themselves multiplying exponentially, creating an exponentially increasing number of 8-Ulf networks. At the start of week 4 each Ulf maintains a connection during the split, so instead of there being twice as many Ulf networks after that particular set of splits they instead maintain the same number of networks and it is the size of each Ulf network that doubles. Then immediately afterward the networks start multiplying in number again.

With Aisha instead of it being once a week it's whenever she presses a button. So currently you have a huge network of connected Aishas, each of them in a universe containing a single node of a separate but functionally identical Ulf network. And there are also a literally uncountable number of Aisha networks all not talking to each other because she didn't press a button for those divergences.

This, incidentally, is also why the chip killed those other guys but not Ulf: The comic is one fork of one of the tiny fraction of universes where, for some reason, it worked. The multiverse is littered with dead Ulfs with failed chips and Ulfs who never got chips because it worked on one of the other people first.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 18:04 on May 18, 2022

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Apocalypse Johto Part 3: Silver Bullet
Chapter 28: High Heels

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Dang it this Gordon Frohman is one efficient assistant and I'm sure he's headed to great things.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

Timeline stuff

That's interesting, I've either misunderstood or forgotten how the mechanic works depending on how exactly it was described early on. Tying Ulf's chip into a weekly event definitely helped put me in the mindset that it was part of an active timeline split mechanic.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I had forgotten as well. This is from the first strip. Splitting is constant, communication links were weekly.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

rydiafan posted:

I had forgotten as well. This is from the first strip. Splitting is constant, communication links were weekly.

his comics are so convoluted that I forget he often includes an early explanation for the insane poo poo that ends up happening.

none of this is a criticism.

e: also ty

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think it's less that anything they are doing is causing the split, but Ulf's chip maintained a connection at predetermined intervals as timelines diverged anyway. Timelines are always diverging every second, but Ulf's device let him share experience with one of those divergences once per week. Aisha is able to establish those connections with timeline duplicates at the press of a button, but those timeline duplicates functionally would have always existed, they just wouldn't have been connected to the hivemind.

edit: beaten with evidence.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Ah okay that makes more sense

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i reckon the button doesn't do anything, and it's the decision to press it that causes a split

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Splicer posted:

The chip isn't causing timeline splits, it maintains a connection between naturally splitting timelines as they diverge. Divergence is happening constantly without chips maintaining connections. The entire universe is multiplying every moment, they're just not talking to each other..

The chips only are connecting specific timelines.

So when we have 2 ulfs we have communication between A' and B'. Those are two timelines out of an infinite number, so at any moment an infinite number of ulf As split off, and can no longer talk to B, since only A' is connected to B'. In a week the orphaned ulfs would start off a new network, presumably.

In almost every universe ulf A suddenly realizes he can't talk to ulf B, but since we were anthropically following A', none of that ever came up until now.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Crisis on Infinite Ulfs

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favorite: Derail Valley > PYF Comic: Crisis on Infinite Ulfs

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Tunicate posted:

The chips only are connecting specific timelines.

So when we have 2 ulfs we have communication between A' and B'. Those are two timelines out of an infinite number, so at any moment an infinite number of ulf As split off, and can no longer talk to B, since only A' is connected to B'. In a week the orphaned ulfs would start off a new network, presumably.

In almost every universe ulf A suddenly realizes he can't talk to ulf B, but since we were anthropically following A', none of that ever came up until now.

I assume B is splitting off as well and A' remains connected to B' but all other split As remain connected to some respective split Bs, except in the event of the death of one of the A/B pair in the split or some other anomaly. How a split B gets assigned to one unique split A is part of the brain chip magic, don't question it.

Nice Van My Man has a new favorite as of 19:16 on May 18, 2022

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Nice Van My Man posted:

I assume B is splitting off as well and A' remains connected to B' but all other split As remain connected to some respective split Bs, except in the event of the death of one of the A/B pair in the split or some other anomaly. How a split B gets assigned to one unique split A is part of the brain chip magic, don't question it.

God drat it, I hate when people try to explain git to me

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It's really quite simple.
Ulf A has Aisha A in his perception of the world. Aisha A splits into Aisha A1 and A2. Both of those have an Ulf in them Ulf A1 and Ulf A2. Both are exact replicas of the previous Ulf and both have access to a Ulfnet A1 and A2. But those are also just exact replicas and have no connection to Ulfnet A.
If there are a billion Ulfs coupled together, each Aisha has to defeat a billion Ulfs packed onto one body. But each of those are complete separate instances.

Also, if Ulf A1 splits into Ulf A1alpha and A1beta at the end of the week, both have a corresponding Aisha with a multiverse copies, each having a seperate instance of Ulf and his network.

So yeah, it's pretty much how git works if you.don't bother to merge branches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Belzebubs