Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

codo27 posted:

Lets be real here. If we could all add a few extra inches for ~$400 a pop, we'd do it.

I laughed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Pro tip for anyone in my situation: By far the best way to tell whether a TV has a wifi module that you can easily remove/disable is to search ebay for <Model Number of TV you're considering> "wifi module". Turns out not many people do teardowns of TVs but a ton of people resell parts. It's pretty easy to tell by looking whether you could clip the antenna or unplug the module.

Ordered a TCL 6 series since there are a zillion wifi modules available. Hopefully I can manage to do TV surgery without ruining it (but this doesn't really look much harder than removing a HDD from a computer).

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Found a hell of a glitch today; was watching a video, activated assistant on my remote, tried watching a video when the selection was pulled up... but now every video is audio only, no picture. It shows a thumbnail when you scrub the timeline, but no video.

Clearing the app's cache and data does not work.

What the gently caress it's screwing with all my other streaming apps too

Chromecast doesn't show anything either.

Holy poo poo my inputs don't show anything at ALL. FACTORY RESET MOTHERFUCKER :commissar:

As usual, Google proves you should never, ever use Google Assistant on anything because it never loving works.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 6, 2022

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Looking for a TV to play Dance Dance Revolution - I will be connecting my MacBook via HDMI and the only requirement is low as possible input lag. Bigger is better, and it does not need to be 4k or have any sorts of bells or whistles. I don't really care if it's a TV or a monitor or whatever.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

In the back of my head I always thought to myself "when OLED TVs are cheap enough to get a gigantic one the size of a projector screen, I'm going to do a home theater." Well I looked on a lark and 77" OLEDs are ~2500 which, while not cheap, is certainly splurgeable. So my questions are:

- Is now a decent time to go in on something like that or are a new batch of better/cheaper/whatever things just around the corner? I don't follow the TV market at all.
- Between these two, which is the one to get?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-77-class-a1-series-oled-4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6461911.p?skuId=6461911
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-77-class-bravia-xr-a80j-series-oled-4k-uhd-smart-google-tv/6455215.p?skuId=6455215

- Any others I should look at? Like I said I don't know poo poo about the TV market so I just looked up 77" OLEDs.

I have a 55" LG OLED in the bedroom and I love it (and it's why I'm spoiled AF on OLED), but I know Sony usually makes very nice (and very expensive) poo poo.

- I don't know how non-OLED screens have improved in the last 5 years or whatever. Is an 85" Samsung QLEDOMGWTF or whatever a better value for the image quality?
- Any recommendations on wall mount hardware for a big chonker like that?
- Why haven't TV prices gone insane with all the other electronics? What gives?

My use cases are movie nights with the SO and friends; garbage trash tier anime when I can't bear to think about life for a while; playing Elden Ring until my eyes bleed

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 15, 2022

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Harriet Carker posted:

Looking for a TV to play Dance Dance Revolution - I will be connecting my MacBook via HDMI and the only requirement is low as possible input lag. Bigger is better, and it does not need to be 4k or have any sorts of bells or whistles. I don't really care if it's a TV or a monitor or whatever.

Is it emulated? Because if it supports higher frame rates than 60fps you should consider a high fps 1080p/1440p monitor.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

KillHour posted:

In the back of my head I always thought to myself "when OLED TVs are cheap enough to get a gigantic one the size of a projector screen, I'm going to do a home theater." Well I looked on a lark and 77" OLEDs are ~2500 which, while not cheap, is certainly splurgeable. So my questions are:

- Is now a decent time to go in on something like that or are a new batch of better/cheaper/whatever things just around the corner? I don't follow the TV market at all.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-77-class-a1-series-oled-4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6461911.p?skuId=6461911
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-77-class-bravia-xr-a80j-series-oled-4k-uhd-smart-google-tv/6455215.p?skuId=6455215

- Any others I should look at? Like I said I don't know poo poo about the TV market so I just looked up 77" OLEDs.

I have a 55" LG OLED in the bedroom and I love it (and it's why I'm spoiled AF on OLED), but I know Sony usually makes very nice (and very expensive) poo poo.

- I don't know how non-OLED screens have improved in the last 5 years or whatever. Is an 85" Samsung QLEDOMGWTF or whatever a better value for the image quality?
- Any recommendations on wall mount hardware for a big chonker like that?
- Why haven't TV prices gone insane with all the other electronics? What gives?

My use cases are movie nights with the SO and friends; garbage trash tier anime when I can't bear to think about life for a while; playing Elden Ring until my eyes bleed

Oled has really improved in the last two years and come down on price. It's only going to get better from here. And they're more resistant to image retention than ever, too.

I wouldn't bother with Samsung's regular qled TVs, even their mini-led ones. Samsung's QD (quantum dot) oled is superior to LG's panels (Sony sources from them, but has different processing) judging from all the early looks on YouTube, but it's going to be expensive as gently caress.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 15, 2022

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Mister Facetious posted:

Oled has really improved in the last two years and come down on price. It's only going to get better from here. And they're more resistant to image retention than ever, too.

I wouldn't bother with Samsung's regular qled TVs, even their mini-led ones. Samsung's QD (quantum dot) oled is superior to LG's panels (Sony sources from them, but has different processing) judging from all the early looks on YouTube, but it's going to be expensive as gently caress.
Just a note that it’s been documented the Samsung panels are artificially cranking up saturation/vibrancy when not in modes reviewers use so people think it looks ‘better’. They’re still very good panels but if you’re going for colour accuracy they’re probably not what you’re looking for.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So if you have 3 grand burning in your pocket for a big fuckin tv, what would it be and where would you get it from?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

LG C1 OLED from either Best Buy or Costco.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Enos Cabell posted:

LG C1 OLED from either Best Buy or Costco.
Though the C2s are just around the corner, a C1 is a pro-tier buy

The A models from LG usually do poo poo like only one 4k/120 port so be careful

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Though the C2s are just around the corner, a C1 is a pro-tier buy

The A models from LG usually do poo poo like only one 4k/120 port so be careful

Any idea if waiting for the C2 to come out is going to result in some deals on a C1?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

KillHour posted:

Any idea if waiting for the C2 to come out is going to result in some deals on a C1?

You can always wait and there will always be deals in the future. Buy when is right from you and if you buy it from Costco get it price adjusted when the price drops later.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh. Duh, looks like Costco.com has the C2s in stock now. With the usual "get a 3 yr warranty for free after $100 rebate" with purchase.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

KillHour posted:

It already has. I bought my 55” C1 for $1,100 because it dropped from the &1,500 it’s been going for to free up space for the C2 line.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

KillHour posted:

The LG A1 is the "entry level" model for OLED. It has the previous year's processor and other compromises for cost. The Sony A80J is the midrange equivalent, so I would cross shop it with the C1 instead. I personally went with Sony because of unfounded brand bias the slightly superior motion processing, but it should be noted that it only supports cool high frame rate sources on 2/4 inputs whereas the LG C1 has it available on all 4 inputs. Sony uses the Google TV OS, LG uses webOS. The Sony has better sound from the built in speakers. They use the same OLED panels but have different hardware and software around the panels. Looking at the same still image in the store, I didn't see a difference, but the Sony had a little bit less motion judder in wide panning shots. Both are excellent TVs and will blow your mind if you haven't had an OLED in your life before.

Right now and the next month or so will be the best deals available on the 2021 TV models (C1/A80J) before they are all sold out in favor of the 2022 models (C2/A80K). Those will usually stay about the same price until Black Friday sales, and then they tend to dip permanently in price after January. If you're wanting the TV now, you'll get the best value from outgoing models. I don't know what new stuff the new models have, but you won't get "deals" on them until late this year.

I did just read that this year Sony is introducing the A75K to compete with the A2 in the "entry level" OLED space, so in descending order of price it'll be:

Sony A90K - Premium
LG G2 - Premium
A80K - Midrange
C2 - Midrange
A75K - Entry OLED
A2 - Entry OLED

Edit: Costco adds a C to their Sony TV model numbers so other retailers don't have to price match them, so it's A80CJ there instead of A80J.

Tricky Ed fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 16, 2022

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I also want to note, that Sony buys their OLED panels from LG.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I know absolutely nothing about wall mounting. If I wall mount my Samsung 65" KS8000 and later get a same size LG C1/C2, can I reuse the wall mount or do I have to install something completely new? What if I get a 77" C1/C2?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hmm.... Costco claims to have the 42" in stock for the C2 where Best Buy has been sold out. I'm not READY for it right now, but it's tempting to grab while it's in stock.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Harriet Carker posted:

I know absolutely nothing about wall mounting. If I wall mount my Samsung 65" KS8000 and later get a same size LG C1/C2, can I reuse the wall mount or do I have to install something completely new? What if I get a 77" C1/C2?

You should be good using the same mount.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't live anywhere near a Costco until they finally build one next year :(

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Best Buy warranties against burn in (which is extremely rare with new models) and are worth buying from.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Best Buy warranties against burn in (which is extremely rare with new models) and are worth buying from.

I assume I have to get the extended warranty for this? Is it generally worth it?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

KillHour posted:

I assume I have to get the extended warranty for this? Is it generally worth it?

Yes and I don't believe it is. I have an OLED from 2017 and I play a gently caress load of games with a static GUI that is in the same place for 100+ hours with no burn in. I got my TV from some online shop. Newer OLEDs are way better.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I bought the BB warranty for peace of mind but I acknowledge that it almost certainly will not be worth it unless I intentionally abuse the TV.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My bedroom is a 5+ year old curved OLED that was a store display at best buy (so I got it for like... a thousand bucks) back when those were the new hotness and it came pre burned-in with the best buy logo. You could only ever see it on a flat background (so only like when a cartoon pans to a flat blue sky or a title card is plain white or something). It never bothered me and after a few years of use, it faded away and now I can't even see it anymore. That is like an absolute worst-case scenario, too.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I pulled the trigger on the Sony because it was $100 cheaper, is supposedly better calibrated from the factory, and I don't need 4 full-throughput HDMI ports. It will be here Friday. What wall mount do I get for that chonker?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Went with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SMF9SQM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems pretty beefy.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You'll do well with that. Could have stood to go a little cheaper but you aren't into "please rip me off I'm stupid" territory either

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, I went with that one specifically because it has the extensions for 24" studs. The place where I want to put this is a little weird and the studs don't perfectly line up with how I want it.

The purple is roughly the size of the TV and the red is where the studs are behind that built-in. I can access behind that panel from underneath, so it's possible to add another stud but I'd like to give myself as much flexibility as possible.

Edit: I might be able to use the horizontal piece on the right too, since it's basically half way up the TV.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Best Buy rescheduled my tv delivery for this morning. I ended up having a medical appointment at the same time. I’m in the waiting room and my wife just sent me a text saying “the guys from Best Buy just delivered the tv but as they were walking it through the garage the bottom of the box ripped open and the tv fell out and it hit the ground but they said there was no spiderweb so it’s ok”

Fuckers didn’t even plug it in to test it. Im sooooooo pissed.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

otter posted:

Best Buy rescheduled my tv delivery for this morning. I ended up having a medical appointment at the same time. I’m in the waiting room and my wife just sent me a text saying “the guys from Best Buy just delivered the tv but as they were walking it through the garage the bottom of the box ripped open and the tv fell out and it hit the ground but they said there was no spiderweb so it’s ok”

:catstare:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I just purchased a Sony A80J, 65" for $2300. A90J didn't seem worth the extra money. I plan on using it to watch shows, movies, and to use as a PC monitor every now and then. I may also buy a PS5 in the future, so having the 120hz is future proofing, right? It's a 2021 model. I don't know if I'm a dumbdumb for buying a TV now instead of just holding off. The A80K is releasing just around the corner, but I have no idea if it would be similarly priced. I also don't know how much the price will drop on the 2021 models when the new ones come out.

I live in a Middle Eastern country, there's only a single retailer who sells Sony TVs, it's disgusting how these monopolies are able to run. So I haven't got experience here in terms of fair market value, I highly doubt the retailer will properly drop the price once new models come out. It's not like we the consumer can go to an opposing retailer.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 18, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Qubee posted:

I just purchased a Sony A80J, 65" for . A90J didn't seem worth the extra money. I plan on using it to watch shows, movies, and to use as a PC monitor every now and then. I may also buy a PS5 in the future, so having the 120hz is future proofing, right? It's a 2021 model. I don't know if I'm a dumbdumb for buying a TV now instead of just holding off. The A80K is releasing just around the corner, but I have no idea if it would be similarly priced. I also don't know how much the price will drop on the 2021 models when the new ones come out.

I live in a Middle Eastern country, there's only a single retailer who sells Sony TVs, it's disgusting how these monopolies are able to run. So I haven't got experience here in terms of fair market value, I highly doubt the retailer will properly drop the price once new models come out. It's not like we the consumer can go to an opposing retailer.

I literally just bought an A80J (on this page) because the new LG already came out and the Sony's went down to compete with the old LGs. I have no idea if that's the case in your country though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just got an upgraded screen for my Nebula 4k Cosmos laser projector.

My first attempt was a white fabric cheapie screen with aluminum poles. It gave me a taste. Light bleed was an issue as the intensity of the projector was causing a reflection off the back wall, lowering contrast.

Today I got a JWSIT 3 layer PVC screen with black backing with an articulating angular aluminum stand. Even in the daylight, it's stunning.

I think my OLED is going to be taking a break for awhile while I burn through some stuff.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

otter posted:

Interested to hear the fallout from this

My brothers old Vizio (also BB), I think he was on the third one before he got one delivered that was not smashed/malfunctioning

Qubee
May 31, 2013

KillHour posted:

I literally just bought an A80J (on this page) because the new LG already came out and the Sony's went down to compete with the old LGs. I have no idea if that's the case in your country though.

How much did you pay for yours? I dunno why my post was missing the price, I wrote it originally.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

codo27 posted:

Interested to hear the fallout from this

My brothers old Vizio (also BB), I think he was on the third one before he got one delivered that was not smashed/malfunctioning

It appears the tv is fine.
it was apparently from about a foot in the air and it was well packed in styrofoam.
Wife thinks the tv is blurry, but I don't see it. I suggested she put on her glasses but she KNOWS it's blurry. I mean, to some extent anything which isnt native resolution will be a little bit blurry when you blow it up to 75" right?

I put on Planet Earth and I think it's super sharp.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

otter posted:

It appears the tv is fine.
it was apparently from about a foot in the air and it was well packed in styrofoam.
Wife thinks the tv is blurry, but I don't see it. I suggested she put on her glasses but she KNOWS it's blurry. I mean, to some extent anything which isnt native resolution will be a little bit blurry when you blow it up to 75" right?

I put on Planet Earth and I think it's super sharp.

If I were you, I'd return it, even if it looks fine. You don't want something to go wrong in 60 days and find out you are poo poo out of luck because you didn't want to bother anyone by returning it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Qubee posted:

How much did you pay for yours? I dunno why my post was missing the price, I wrote it originally.

2600 USD + tax for the 77 inch