Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
I’m adding another staff accountant to my team I guess I should post that in the jobs thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Covok posted:

Not just that but fees came up. I originally said I'd assess and come back with an estimate of fee. My estimate was about 1.5k to 3.5k. As I am finding out on reddit, that may be an underbiling as many listed their fees for similar work at 6k to 10k.

He countered with...$150.

Made the decision easier.

He was probably starting to negotiate and would probably have been thrilled to get the bill to $1,200.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Missing Donut posted:

He was probably starting to negotiate and would probably have been thrilled to get the bill to $1,200.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic but he was convinced taxes shouldn't cost more than 150. Like, this was never going to get remotely close to my bill. He wasn't going to budge.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Covok posted:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic but he was convinced taxes shouldn't cost more than 150. Like, this was never going to get remotely close to my bill. He wasn't going to budge.

I was being serious. The firm where I started my career had several clients who immigrated from Southern Asia and they would happily agree to a price but only after it had come down a bit.

If he was serious about $150 being the fee, just LOL. Good riddance to bad rubbish. My minimum fee in small town Wisconsin is higher than that, geez.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

That fee offer is a big lol, good job bailing

This year is my first firing clients and it feels AMAZING

Also i joined a small Discord server of other public tax peeps in small firms to have a ~community~ and bitch at one another and hivemind tax queries and its honestly been so good for my mental health to have accounting community it feels like a brand new world

Happy home stretch to all my tax peeps ❤

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Missing Donut posted:

I was being serious. The firm where I started my career had several clients who immigrated from Southern Asia and they would happily agree to a price but only after it had come down a bit.

If he was serious about $150 being the fee, just LOL. Good riddance to bad rubbish. My minimum fee in small town Wisconsin is higher than that, geez.

I'll put it this way: when we spoke in our follow up, he told us that he thought it should be just 150. When I said my fee would actually be much large, possibly over a thousand dollars, he started screaming at me that he'd pay no more than 150. That's when I fired him and his demanor changed. But I stood my ground. I said my fee and he said he liked me but would pay no more than 150. So, I told him to seek consul elsewhere.

It Isn't the first time a recommendation from this client turned out like this mess, tbh. He once reccomenced a bunch of people to our office and like seven people came at once in a huge group. But they all demanded they pay no more than $75. When we said no, all but two left, and one of those two was the original client who reccomended the other six.

Edit: I am not saying this is a racial thing, by the way. I want to make this clear. It's not like this is my only client from India and I don't have this problem with other clients from India. I just think this guy has very cheap friends who like to haggle and I don't think I'll accept reccomendations from him anymore. I felt I needed to clarify because you brought up your clients from South Asia but I don’t think this is a South Asian thing, I just think this is a guy who has really cheapo friends. I only clarified the guy was from India in my original post so you'd know what I mean by tax treaty disclosure.

Covok fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 20, 2022

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I think you're over thinking it. If any client had an 0/12 referral rate I'd cut them off too. You don't have to solve it or understand it, they're just not good referrals. Thanks but no thanks and move on.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Covok posted:

I'll put it this way: when we spoke in our follow up, he told us that he thought it should be just 150. When I said my fee would actually be much large, possibly over a thousand dollars, he started screaming at me that he'd pay no more than 150. That's when I fired him and his demanor changed. But I stood my ground. I said my fee and he said he liked me but would pay no more than 150. So, I told him to seek consul elsewhere.

Oh, gotcha, he's just an rear end.

I did assume your mentioning it wasn't meant to be a racial thing, but hagglers can sometimes be very jarring to American culture and dealing with it during a more-than-slightly stressful time of the year can be rough - plus it's hard to communicate only in text on a forum. I was just making sure he wasn't a normal haggler, and if he thought $150 was fair then he's definitely not.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I think I might be leaving tax accounting this year. This is my 6th busy season and I feel kind of done with it all. I have been eyeing some basic corporate accounting jobs that seem to pay decent. Any advice?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

run, dont look back, lest ye are transformed into a pillar of salt

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Get money. Always.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Covok posted:

I think I might be leaving tax accounting this year. This is my 6th busy season and I feel kind of done with it all. I have been eyeing some basic corporate accounting jobs that seem to pay decent. Any advice?

What, you don't love how tax season never fully ends anymore and you have to put up with clients screaming about how their refund is lower this year and you try and try to explain that they took the advanced child tax credit payments this year and also took out money from their retirement last year that we're splitting over three years and all the withholding was used last year so of course its lower but they just keep weeping and moaning. And then you get the one sweet old guy who can barely sign his authorization form with his arthritic hands, and the return was so simple you almost feel bad charging and then when he leaves he calls you a good person for "putting up with his nonsense" and your destroyed in a whole new way....

Covok
May 27, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

What, you don't love how tax season never fully ends anymore and you have to put up with clients screaming about how their refund is lower this year and you try and try to explain that they took the advanced child tax credit payments this year and also took out money from their retirement last year that we're splitting over three years and all the withholding was used last year so of course its lower but they just keep weeping and moaning. And then you get the one sweet old guy who can barely sign his authorization form with his arthritic hands, and the return was so simple you almost feel bad charging and then when he leaves he calls you a good person for "putting up with his nonsense" and your destroyed in a whole new way....

I mean, yeah, basically but it's more the hours and the consistency of the hours. I kind of want a gig where I work just regular most of the year with just occasional overtime.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I don't mind 3 months of super double overtime as long as the other 9 months are smooth sailing but that has not been the case for me the last few years, partially because of COVID and partially because my firm is understaffed. I'm hoping some recent hires work out along with the fact that a lot of the tax related COVID stuff is over with or tapering off.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Some PwC partners just got really nervous for a few seconds before realizing why the Oscars were suddenly trending big

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Not sure what’s going on but there’s a large influx of people coming to me the last week or March asking if I can take them as a client and bring aghast when I say no

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ungratek posted:

Not sure what’s going on but there’s a large influx of people coming to me the last week or March asking if I can take them as a client and bring aghast when I say no

Send pictures of them carrying the totes full of receipts

Covok
May 27, 2013

I have a city employee subject to section 1127 of the NYC charter. He sold a house in Yonkers as a rental and received a K1. It is substantial. He was wondering if it can be exluded on section 1127. My interpretation is no. They should include it becomes they are taxed as if they were a city resident. What is the rule?

To be honest, I am like 99% certain but another preparer is working on this and he is convinced it isn't because he doesn't believe ir.

Covok fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 31, 2022

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Ungratek posted:

same homie same

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ungratek posted:

I kind of turn away late business clients or charge extra because ya know they will wait to the last minute again every year.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Covok posted:

I have a city employee subject to section 1127 of the NYC charter. He sold a house in Yonkers as a rental and received a K1. It is substantial. He was wondering if it can be exluded on section 1127. My interpretation is no. They should include it becomes they are taxed as if they were a city resident. What is the rule?

To be honest, I am like 99% certain but another preparer is working on this and he is convinced it isn't because he doesn't believe ir.

He's hosed unless he sold the property before/after he worked for the City. I'm guessing this is not his first/last year as a City employee so yeah, he's hosed.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

He's hosed unless he sold the property before/after he worked for the City. I'm guessing this is not his first/last year as a City employee so yeah, he's hosed.

Yeah, he's hosed. Oh well. gently caress it. My coworker mused how unfair it is. It's not our job to give a poo poo about fairness. That's how you end up getting in trouble for bending the rules. Our job is to do it right to protect our clients.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

Well, my dumbass coworker might do it anyway because he didn't believe me. gently caress it, I am already planning on leaving this place.

Edit: Guy did the whole "I talked to another accountant and they said I could do it" poo poo and now my co-worker doesn't believe me.

Covok fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 5, 2022

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Covok posted:

Well, my dumbass coworker might do it anyway because he didn't believe me. gently caress it, I am already planning on leaving this place.

Edit: Guy did the whole "I talked to another accountant and they said I could do it" poo poo and now my co-worker doesn't believe me.

Ain't on you, and if NYC comes knocking for the client it's your coworker's rear end who's gotta explain it to the client. The sad part is there's a nonzero chance the guy gets away with it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Now that tax season is over, I think I speak for everyone when I say FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!

Covok
May 27, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/Accounting/comments/t9tugp/can_am_i_getting_fired/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

loving christ. If I did this, I'd quit and just never speak with anyone at the company again.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I know everyone on reddit is incapable of detecting shitposts, but at SA we've had like 20 years to figure it out.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Commenter: I’d fire you just for creating the word “Deloittussy”

OP: Wow… I’m guessing you’d prefer to have your Industrussy ate?

lmao

Covok
May 27, 2013

God. This is so awkward. I am the only person who gets business at this firm and I'm literally waiting to hear back on a job offer for a big promotion that I will take if I get it and my boss is pushing me, unbeknownst to her, on getting a client where she basically can only make it work if I am there to do the business stuff.

I really wish other people would stop trying to find clients for me so the eventually "smell ya later losers" is less awkward. Especially that they'd stop trying to get these big clients based solely on the underpaid experise of their youngest worker.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Covok posted:

God. This is so awkward. I am the only person who gets business at this firm and I'm literally waiting to hear back on a job offer for a big promotion that I will take if I get it and my boss is pushing me, unbeknownst to her, on getting a client where she basically can only make it work if I am there to do the business stuff.

I really wish other people would stop trying to find clients for me so the eventually "smell ya later losers" is less awkward. Especially that they'd stop trying to get these big clients based solely on the underpaid experise of their youngest worker.

No need for it to be awkward. It's Just Business, after all.

Since there's no way to know if it'll pan out or not, I've always just rolled through business as usual as if nothing was going on (because sometimes it falls through and therefore nothing is going on!) and when you turn in the two weeks you say "let me know what your priorities are for me to focus on in my final 80 hours here" and what gets done, gets done and what doesn't . . . is now firmly an SEP.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Yeah, turnover is a natural part of the business and especially accounting world and if one person leaving tanks the whole business then that’s a them problem

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I'm working on getting a degree in accounting. Put off college for a few years, figured out I liked the basics of accounting after taking a few classes and that it came quite naturally to me, but I haven't done anything particularly advanced yet- I've mostly been filling out the assorted adjacent requirements my college has for the degree in finance and the like. I'm already a little bit worried about being able to secure an entry level position, even though that's a problem for me a year and a half from now at minimum. I know there's supposed to be a lot of different intern programs, but I don't... particularly feel capable of working a job and going to school at the same time. I've tried it, historically, and it doesn't work for me if I'm doing anything more than 20 hours a week of work.

And also to the point, I am not Good at job searching. I know how to make a resume that's Good Enough and do applications on sites but that never seems to work out in a timely manner for anything other than retail or a job I had at the post office for a year. I know there's a whole world of recruiters out there and I have no idea how to begin poking into that.

Ideally I think I'd like to get a federal job in some capacity. I don't enjoy doing a rat race for positions or having to constantly be selling myself- I'd rather have something stable where I can just, Do The Job and maybe get a promotion whenever, as long as I have enough money to live off of I'm good.

Does anyone have advice on how to break into that sort of path, or a similar job? I'm considering seeing if I can at least get some bookkeeping work as an adjacent-enough relevant experience type thing.

Nea fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 10, 2022

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Nea posted:

I'm working on getting a degree in accounting. Put off college for a few years, figured out I liked the basics of accounting after taking a few classes and that it came quite naturally to me, but I haven't done anything particularly advanced yet- I've mostly been filling out the assorted adjacent requirements my college has for the degree in finance and the like. I'm already a little bit worried about being able to secure an entry level position, even though that's a problem for me a year and a half from now at minimum. I know there's supposed to be a lot of different intern programs, but I don't... particularly feel capable of working a job and going to school at the same time. I've tried it, historically, and it doesn't work for me if I'm doing anything more than 20 hours a week of work.

And also to the point, I am not Good at job searching. I know how to make a resume that's Good Enough and do applications on sites but that never seems to work out in a timely manner for anything other than retail or a job I had at the post office for a year. I know there's a whole world of recruiters out there and I have no idea how to begin poking into that.

Ideally I think I'd like to get a federal job in some capacity. I don't enjoy doing a rat race for positions or having to constantly be selling myself- I'd rather have something stable where I can just, Do The Job and maybe get a promotion whenever, as long as I have enough money to live off of I'm good.

Does anyone have advice on how to break into that sort of path, or a similar job? I'm considering seeing if I can at least get some bookkeeping work as an adjacent-enough relevant experience type thing.

Career path entry in accounting is pretty standardized because of the turnover in entry level positions. Inquire of your schools career counselors. Usually they do a meet and greet event with the firms/others in like September and then interviews and other events in october/november. This is hiring for the following summer by the way. Interns usually do their term between senior year and grad school. Then you get a job offer at the end of that. Getting involved in the accounting organization (I forget the name) at school helps if you want to be with one of the big firms but I didn’t bother and got in just fine.

Schools also usually have other career boards for non cpa-firm internship jobs so you could do one of those earlier if you want for more experience or some spending cash

Don’t worry about being useless starting in your first job. It’s an apprenticeship based profession and we all suck real bad at it right out of school

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Beta Alpha Psi

Try to do an internship, generally tax is easier to get into than audit but it depends on the market.

Also look for industry internships, most of the posters in this thread are in public accounting (the fools) but most accounting jobs are not in public accounting.

Bookkeeping can be good experience but imo it’s better if you can work somewhere with full cycle accounting, 3 point match on AP and that actually generates periodic financial statements for some kind of stakeholder.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I'm not too late to pursue internship and that's something good to start setting up this fall. I'll still probably try to get some bookeeping work in if only because I have to support myself somehow between school semesters. I'm definitely more interested in industry/federal work than getting my CPA and doing public accounting. Thanks again!

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
All the above advice is still good, but if you're looking at federal stuff you may need to go above and beyond the resources your school offers to actually find information, depending on where you're located. https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/working-in-government/unique-hiring-paths/students/ is a decent if short place to start, and this search should show you what internship positions are currently posted for anything in the accounting, budget, and finance realm. (Note that not every agency uses USAJOBS; my intent is just to show off an easy starting point.) There's a lot of detail in each job posting about exactly how the individual agency's process works, and you can preview the questionnaires they'll use without having to start an application. For example, the GAO posting currently up outright asks for an essay:

quote:

The following question requires you to write a brief essay (3,000 characters or less, including spaces). Please be sure to address all three knowledge, skills, and abilities (analytical skills, the ability to clearly and effectively convey information in writing, and the ability to conduct research). A detailed definition of each knowledge, skill, and/or ability is provided in the question. The information you provide in your essay must be supported by information in your resume.

9. To what extent do you possess each of the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs)? You can rely upon experience gained from school, volunteer work, military service, paid employment and/or professional/community/social organizations. (1) Knowledge of and experience with analytical concepts, principles, and practices (methods) that provides the ability to analyze and evaluate qualitative and quantitative data to make logical inferences and/or draw logical conclusions. (2) Ability to prepare written documents that effectively communicate information, some of which are complex, that are complete, organized, and grammatically correct. (3) Ability to learn new and complex material quickly in order to understand the issues and obtain relevant and sufficient information about the research problem/issue. (limit 3,000 characters)

... and even if not every agency is quite so blunt about it, you'll still want to actively seek out opportunities that fit in those boxes. (Beta Alpha Psi was invaluable for this, not least because my local chapter was able to say things like "hey, the firms want people to know pivot tables, and none of our classes teach them--let's teach them ourselves!") Of course, this isn't really any different than what firms and other industry would want either, we're just more open about it :v:

Do also feel free to join us in the fedgov thread, it's full of people who know more about the whole hiring thing than I do.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

One of my staff has billings below their salary how tf am i supposed to run a business without extracting surplus value smdh

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

drat, CPA Ontario finally got back to me about my first 12-month professional experience review (after they sent me an email apologizing for the backlog), and it turns out they actually need me to explain my self-assessed competency requirements.

Apparently things were a lot easier during the old CGA days, so this is a surprise to most of the accountants (CGA's that got grandfathered in during the merger a few years ago).

Oh well, turns out 30 months of experience will be a minimum requirement, because no way do I have 500 hours of complicated tax issues in that time if I'm doing mostly tax returns and compilation engagements.

Good news is that my firm may be bought out by a larger firm, so here's hoping I can transfer to get audit/assurance hours instead of having to find a new job -- or maybe I should find a new job anyway because there's a shortage, so I'm told.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I have to wonder how much money I've saved this old italian lady by repeatedly throwing out the DOT COMPLIANCE GROUP scam letter she keeps getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Yall I got my license 🥲