Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Casey Finnigan posted:

video game writing is by and large not very good.
The very fact that the average quality is that low is proof that it's the real avant-garde, a space where voices that would fallen victims to the gatekeeping of traditional mediums get a chance to put their thoughts out there.

Probably Magic posted:

Utter dogshit, and I love literary fiction, but also, you're complaining about your boyfriend reading Le Guin and Mieville. Not Asimov and GRRM, no, Le Guin and Mieville. Get over yourself. But also, love the part that that wanders into claiming literature has always been the field of the feminine after going on about how men had too much of a voice in the field for awhile, well, which is it, men dominate this industry or women did, make up your mind. I love the thesis is basically, "It's good that men write less than women now, but also, men should read our novels more, all consumption, no competitive production." Complaining from an ivory tower and a half.
It's not actually a contradiction. (Feminine) men dominated the writing side, but were never the primary audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

loquacius posted:

lmao

fuckin next-level pretentiousness

reaction 1: do not date a columnist, or a story about what a dipshit you are for minding your own business will inevitably go viral

reaction 2: hey somebody remind me what Le Guin's first name was again???

This entire article is just getting mad your boyfriend doesn't want to read Jane Austen, and you have to dress it up as, "Ah, boys just don't like literature, don't you know?" and then hope no one reads your article and just assumes your beau plays Call of Duty and watches MCU films all the time.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

wow, lots of people mad a POC lady voiced her opinions

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

gonna write a real depressing novella about a doomed romance between, like, teens with terminal illnesses or something, and then on the last page there's a casual reference to one of them having pointy ears and passing away at the tragically young age of 236. BOOM, THEY'RE ELVES. THEY'VE BEEN ELVES THE WHOLE TIME. YOU JUST READ GENRE FICTION MOTHERFUCKER

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
i don't think a fault in our stars counts as literary fiction either

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

A lot of stuff we call "literature" now was just pop trash in its day so whatever
read your trash
that's what books are for

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's not actually a contradiction. (Feminine) men dominated the writing side, but were never the primary audience.

I don't know, it was really drummed into me in college how difficult the confessional women's movement had in finding a voice since women were neither the producers nor the audience for stuff like Whitman, that poetry at least was very much something men did for other men and maybe sometimes men would perform as audience for women but not for women. It just felt like the article didn't really tackle that because it's a difficult thing to tackle, especially if your thesis is just a reductionist "men aren't sensitive, but women are." More like literature was the only outlet for men to be sensitive, exclusively, and even then, through an impersonal way like appreciation of nature or falling in love and not something vulnerable like heavy depression or resentment. My take, anyway.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Casey Finnigan posted:

i don't think a fault in our stars counts as literary fiction either

that's genuinely the thing, what do these people count? Like, her weird gripe is literally just over Jane Austin but she doesn't define what the 'novel reading audience' she's talking about even is.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
when i think of literary fiction I think of "book by some graybeard professor author about a romance with a student" and poo poo like that

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Casey Finnigan posted:

when i think of literary fiction I think of "book by some graybeard professor author about a romance with a student" and poo poo like that

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

A lot of stuff we call "literature" now was just pop trash in its day so whatever
read your trash
that's what books are for

:hmmyes: Novels being high art to begin with was always a lie your english teachers told you

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

Xaris posted:

:hai:

did you watch Ambulance? i started it and seems good though I keep running into the issue where the rips I dl thru Sonarr have green-purple color grading when i watch em on Plex, i need to figure out what the gently caress is going on.

if you haven't solved this yet
think this is a dolby vision incompatibility problem.
force transcoding maybe or grab a non DV version? on jellyfin so not sure about current plex settings

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Men hold up 20% of literary fiction.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

The Cut of Your Jib posted:

if you haven't solved this yet
think this is a dolby vision incompatibility problem.
force transcoding maybe or grab a non DV version? on jellyfin so not sure about current plex settings

hmm maybe. I don’t think they always put DV in file names though, and usually I do direct play but let me see.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
What is valuable is rare, whats rare gets lost.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It's actually really funny that the author got so worked up over her boyfriend not wanting to read Jane Austen that she wrote a viral article about it, but is so intensely judgmental of the idea of genre fiction that she doesn't even classify loving China Mieville as "literature", thus raising extremely valid questions about what "literature" even means in this context

get over yourself yourself!!!!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

her boyfriend reads nightly from authors like Ursula K. Le loving Guin and she's still complaining. jesus christ.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

She names five or so authors her boyfriend's into and only one of which she's in, hmmm, interesting. I bet if she tried to get him into Toni Morrison or whatever, he'd happily do so, she's just complaining about one author that's received his indifference.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

You will read about the gentry written with stuffy Victorian prose and you will like it, young man

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

like, my wife and I have been doing "book trades" where she makes me read Let The Great World Spin and I make her read The Name Of The Wind for fuckin years and neither of us enjoy it but at least we're not writing articles to whine to the Internet about it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Then we read the Broken Earth series together and had a fuckin book club about it, there are any number of ways healthy relationships have been handling this exact issue for decades and this isn't one of them, hope this guy gets out and never has to read a trashy paperback about the tsundere earl of bunderlingshire

e: I think this is actually the only scenario where reading Pride And Prejudice And Zombies is actually the correct decision, if only for trolling purposes

loquacius has issued a correction as of 19:21 on May 18, 2022

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I'm trying to read a Dorothy Parker collection, my wife asks if I want to read her Harry Potter books, I say no because that poo poo sucks, the next day she has an article in Cosmopolitan talking about why men hate women authors.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Probably Magic posted:

I don't know, it was really drummed into me in college how difficult the confessional women's movement had in finding a voice since women were neither the producers nor the audience for stuff like Whitman, that poetry at least was very much something men did for other men and maybe sometimes men would perform as audience for women but not for women. It just felt like the article didn't really tackle that because it's a difficult thing to tackle, especially if your thesis is just a reductionist "men aren't sensitive, but women are." More like literature was the only outlet for men to be sensitive, exclusively, and even then, through an impersonal way like appreciation of nature or falling in love and not something vulnerable like heavy depression or resentment. My take, anyway.
Sure, but that's a factual criticism. I was just saying that her position isn't self-contradictory. You can for sure make better arguments, especially if your thesis is (as you say) "men aren't sensitive, but women are". The logical explanation for why men used to dominate the space but no longer do would be that women were prevented from entering it, so a small minority of men became massively over-represented. The moment women let themselves in, they started to dominate the space because more women wanted to be part of it in the first place than men.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Probably Magic posted:

She names five or so authors her boyfriend's into and only one of which she's in, hmmm, interesting. I bet if she tried to get him into Toni Morrison or whatever, he'd happily do so, she's just complaining about one author that's received his indifference.

Toni “Bill Clinton’s unpoliced sexuality makes him black” Morrison?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
even if the books suck you should read harry potter for the sake of your wife lol. theyre dumb as hell so it can be a little fun

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My wife is also trying to get me to read Harry Potter

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Sure, but that's a factual criticism. I was just saying that her position isn't self-contradictory. You can for sure make better arguments, especially if your thesis is (as you say) "men aren't sensitive, but women are". The logical explanation for why men used to dominate the space but no longer do would be that women were prevented from entering it, so a small minority of men became massively over-represented. The moment women let themselves in, they started to dominate the space because more women wanted to be part of it in the first place than men.

Fair enough, it just felt like an odd argument to me after hearing so much about Elektra complexes in college.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

wow, people say men aren't sensitive...but a women writes a polite article suggesting men might enjoy reading some dope lit queens and well...

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My wife is also trying to get me to read Harry Potter

sounds like wifehavers are getting pwned all over.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Why is poetry considered dead? I understand that it's not popular, but that's different from being dead.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I personally only really started hooting and hollering about this when Probably Magic revealed that the basis for the article was the author's boyfriend wanting to read Le Guin instead of Jane Austen because that makes the whole thing so aggressively stupid it invalidates any real point it might have otherwise had

loquacius has issued a correction as of 19:38 on May 18, 2022

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
the only literary fiction i need:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

even if the books suck you should read harry potter for the sake of your wife lol. theyre dumb as hell so it can be a little fun

i mean, i don't have a wife, but i also tried reading those books when i was nine and decided harry sucked, so it's too late for me

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Why is poetry considered dead? I understand that it's not popular, but that's different from being dead.

It has an extremely insular audience, but that's kind-of always been the case. The problem is if it ever tried to be popular, which you saw with all the focus on the poetry read at Biden's inauguration and then the Super Bowl, which was very simple exhortation stuff that felt more motivational than emotional. But it doesn't pay, can't sustain anyone, and will always get limited release. Which is fine, it's one of my favorite forms nonetheless.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Probably Magic posted:

It has an extremely insular audience, but that's kind-of always been the case. The problem is if it ever tried to be popular, which you saw with all the focus on the poetry read at Biden's inauguration and then the Super Bowl, which was very simple exhortation stuff that felt more motivational than emotional. But it doesn't pay, can't sustain anyone, and will always get limited release. Which is fine, it's one of my favorite forms nonetheless.

yeah. I know a guy who writes and translates poetry, goes on retreats with poets and reviews poetry, spending all his money to do this. he makes his living as a TA teaching English and grading undergrad papers though so it’s basically all he has money for from what I can tell.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

wow, people say men aren't sensitive...but a women writes a polite article suggesting men might enjoy reading some dope lit queens and well...
Turns out the reason men don't read this type of literature is actually because they have an emotional life as deep and powerful as the sea, while that of women is like a kiddie pool. Hence women having to resort to literature to help them experience the kind of emotions that men experience as a natural part of life.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
'guys should read more literary fiction' but should, simultaneously, only read the good kind of literary fiction. for some reason I have the feeling that admitting to reading Houellebecq, Mishima and DFW would still get you a lot of stink-eye

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Literary fiction is when a character has an emotion, which obviously men hate

I also haven't read China Mieville but I assume he only writes about robots solving sudokus

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

loquacius posted:

Literary fiction is when a character has an emotion, which obviously men hate

I also haven't read China Mieville but I assume he only writes about robots solving sudokus

yes, but the robots are weird bug people and secret hegelians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ursula K Le Guin and China Mieville are also both leftists, which means that obviously their work is going be more problematic than serious literature about Victorian gentry trying to get married