Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

limp_cheese posted:

Another patch today that changes the balance.

I also want to thank this thread for getting me to realize standing back and shooting doesn't work. I need to get as close as I can and punch things in the face.

It's kind of funny, really. Melee is so fun and effective that half the time I outright forget that my justiciars and interceptors actually have stormbolters. I find myself wondering how I could possibly get my lone purgator into range to finish off a wounded guy or trigger an environmental interaction, only to realize I got a guy with a perfectly good gun standing right there comfortably in range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

Ditto but for chaplains in my case.

You're not missing out on Chaplains. They're kind a one trick pony. It's a powerful trick but requires a pretty particular set up.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Pierson posted:

I think what happens is when the corruption on a planet is high enough it triggers a big mission where you have to destroy a chaos gate and if enough gates are left standing the game ends. I don't know for sure but the way the Inquisitor was talking and the cutscene that was playing gave a pretty big "this is the death timer, do something about it" vibes.

I was actually surprised to fail a Bloom mission once - they don't directly tell you but those missions ARE timed (the timer is on the objective tracker). That's what those "delay the bloomspawn emitting for one turn" green vents are about. I couldn't figure it out, at first I thought they were to prevent the big artillery flower from shooting but that emphatically did not work as expected.

Collapsing Farts posted:

speaking of loving up planets: what does the exterminatus missiles actually do? Do they just remove a planet from the system? How am I supposed to be using them

Exterminatus eliminates all corruption from a planet (and it also says it blows up any prognosticar linked to the planet ; but I'm not sure if that means the travel links or whether it *actually* destroys a limited resource. I was too much of a coward to try it out and I'm playing Ironman so can't try at not cost, will do it before final mission for sure). Basically you want to do it to planets that have reached max corruption and are outside network before you get hosed by a chaos gate opening there while you're on the other side of the sector and won't make it in time. It's a preventive measure, not a reactive one.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 17, 2022

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

bamhand posted:

You're not missing out on Chaplains. They're kind a one trick pony. It's a powerful trick but requires a pretty particular set up.

I mean, even without that one trick, the "massive armour for everyone" and "get refunded your psiblasts/force attacks" chants are useful as well. Plus the chaplain himself is extradurable so he makes a good diversion while your naked interceptors get to turning people to red mist left and right.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I feel it's about opportunity cost. I want a librarian, interceptor, and justicar. Then there's one slot left. Chaplain is alright but a second interceptor or something could have just as big of an impact.

e: Unless there's someway to execute people without a librarian or stun mine that I'm not aware of. It seems like with the current damage and stun levels you kill anything before you stun it unless you use shriek/grenade. And even with that set up I'm not sure if an extra AP on your whole team beats out having a second murderbot interceptor that kills whole groups on his own.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 17, 2022

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I'm on the fence about this. It sounds like it has the same problem as Mechanicus, where your dudes get so powerful by the end that the game is a cake-walk. Is that fair?

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Zephro posted:

I'm on the fence about this. It sounds like it has the same problem as Mechanicus, where your dudes get so powerful by the end that the game is a cake-walk. Is that fair?

Bane of all XCom-likes, really. I can't really think of a single one where the endgame isn't just a leisurely victory lap, no matter how much poo poo the endgame throws at you. I feel like it's a just reward for eating poo poo throughout the game (although IMO Chaos Gate is pretty easy right off the bat, once you've grokked how it works)

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

bamhand posted:

Doesn't do anything the Interceptor doesn't and can't fly around the map.

how do I get interceptors that purge spawn on every hit and auto-nuke swarms that run up to them while also purging

Zephro posted:

It's an XCOM-like, it has inverse difficulty. Just a fact of life. But it's nowhere near as bad as Mechanicus since Chaos Gate has an actual endgame with scaling threats (and not just in the "they get more health" way that XCOM2 and WOTC kinda pulled) so even with this problem things can still get hairy in the last few missions. You'll be walking all over the random gen generic missions pretty quickly but the plot-based stuff can stay challenging.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 17, 2022

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Psycho Landlord posted:

how do I get interceptors that purge spawn on every hit and auto-nuke swarms that run up to them while also purging

Uh is that something that chaplains do? The interceptor murdering their entire team in one turn seems to do what you're looking for. The +AP on crit skill and item can both trigger multiple times a turn so you have up to 7 AP to work without before you use stratagems or honor the chapter.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

bamhand posted:

Uh is that something that chaplains do? The interceptor murdering their entire team in one turn seems to do what you're looking for. The +AP on crit skill and item can both trigger multiple times a turn so you have up to 7 AP to work without before you use stratagems or honor the chapter.

No, purifiers. Interceptors murder packs and easy bags of HP like terminators. Purifiers purge large enemies that mutate a lot (HINT SPAWN HINT) making them not suicide to attack with other people.

Chaplains are just kinda there and I don't know why you brought them up.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Psycho Landlord posted:

No, purifiers. Interceptors murder packs and easy bags of HP like terminators. Purifiers purge large enemies that mutate a lot (HINT SPAWN HINT) making them not suicide to attack with other people.

Chaplains are just kinda there and I don't know why you brought them up.

Oh whoops, thought you were responding to my thing about chaplains being pretty meh.

For purifiers I was saying the melee version specifically is not great. Seems like everything you mention can be done by the flamethrower version, no? Happy to be proven wrong if the melee version is super useful in some way that the ranged version is not.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Zephro posted:

I finished yesterday at 25 hours and on normal difficulty my squad of Justicar/Librarian/Purgator/Interceptor was the closest thing to untouchable there could be. I entered the point-of-no-return and skipped every mission that popped up while it was cooking because I didn't feel like extra skills would make me any more powerful. The problem is the final mission is actually legit challenging compared to the game beforehand and (mission structure spoilers) you need eight people for it, divided into a boss-killing squad and a wave-killing squad, so you can actually screw up and be pretty hosed if you only have one squad skilled-up to god-killer levels and not two. On the other hand if you rotate your characters properly even this wouldn't be a problem, I was just dumb and lazy and never did because my four primary guys were so strong they never got injured.

I enjoyed the game a lot and the characters and cutscenes were great which I didn't expect at all. I don't have any hot takes besides it's a solid AA game and it's great to see a new Chaos Gate that's good and I hope they make a second that's deeper and better.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 17, 2022

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I honestly can't tell if you're telling zephro to get the game or not

there is a huge variance in skill level as many people, online, are complaining about the game being too hard on normal. so it really depends on how you play the game

personally I'm playing on ruthless with ironman and it's had plenty of challenges. I haven't fully lost a squad member and as mentioned above the more skills you get the easier the game gets but that's a feature of all x-com like games. they are actively updating the game every week and adjusting things. I have pretty high hopes for this one and the future dlc's

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I was on team "This game is stupid hard even on normal" until my guys got a few levels and I stopped playing so defensive and conservative. Once I got my guys out of cover and getting in enemy's taces the game became much easier, although still challenging at times.

Basically if you play this game like XCOM you'll have a bad time.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
The game gives you a lot of strong options and gear to lean into, but at the very start of the game you don't have any of that to work with. Your success in the early game into the mid is going to be dependent on how quickly you can learn and adapt to the game flow; once you're solidly into the mid-game and can leverage higher-level knights and master-crafted gear, you can pretty easily mangle the game flow by leaning hard into a preferred strategy.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Zephro posted:

Yea, but that's true for most games of this type

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Random event took my top three guys for SIXTY DAYS, goddamn.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Thanks for the replies, all. I know inverse difficulty is the norm for x-com likes. It's still kinda annoying. Think I might wait until it's on sale :tipshat:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Sipher posted:

The Emperor Giveth and the Emperor Taketh Away

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Sipher posted:

I'd been very careful about spending req. on items, taking only the bestest, most Can't Miss This ones and always always trying to bank 10 before the grandmaster report.
On the fateful day of the report when I had reached rank V in each category and was almost guaranteed godlike items after every mission in the runup to the endgame, Kai threw a pissy fit and blocked me from the armory for 60 days.

Old fucker.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Grandmaster Kai is a loving dick.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Angry Lobster posted:

Grandmaster Kai is a loving dick.

New thread title

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Filthy Grey Knightses!

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Blocking the armory for 60 days is just really not a fun event and it shouldn't have made it in imo.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
A lot of the random events are tuned to be incredibly brutally harsh and it's weird. Like "you picked the wrong dialogue option so now your research is locked out for 30 days, hee hee" never feels great.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Kanos posted:

A lot of the random events are tuned to be incredibly brutally harsh and it's weird. Like "you picked the wrong dialogue option so now your research is locked out for 30 days, hee hee" never feels great.

Holy shitballs are you telling me. I've had the 60 day armoury ban it sucked. I got the chaos cult spawning on the ship part 1, picked the middle ground w/e it was 3 brothers wounded for 21 days I think?, 30 days later get chaos cult part 2 send in Vakir, -50% research for 60 days, get chaos cult part 3 (oh for fucks sake this is a grey knights strike cruiser!) sent 6 knights in to wipe them all 6 wounded 30 days. Thought well the cuntish random events cant be much worse than that can they?

See chaos cruiser en route to my system, have tangled with them before twice won with Lunette & Vakir getting injured for 30 days in the 2 fights I've had. Stayed in system to fight the chaos cruiser, this cruiser was spreading a compound to the planet below. Vakir realises its firing seed fragments, your choices are: send a strike team, fire on the cruiser, gently caress off, I forgot what the fourth option was (it "put the ship at great risk, action i took did the same) but I went with "shoot some fools".

Screen cuts to black.

Cue an FMV of Ectar looking panicked as explosions begin, same for Lunete, Vakir. KABOOM

GAME OVER gently caress YOU.

:psyduck:

Thank Christ I wasn't on ironman.

That's a new level of gently caress you from a x-com like for me!

edit: if people want the details spoilering, let me know but imo people should know there's a random event that can end your game instantly.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I always upgraded my ship guns and shields so every solution to every ship encounter was "shoot them dead". Sometimes I'd lose like 1 hull integrity or whatever but I had like 6 to begin with so it wasnt a big deal

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

rocket_Magnet posted:

Holy shitballs are you telling me. I've had the 60 day armoury ban it sucked. I got the chaos cult spawning on the ship part 1, picked the middle ground w/e it was 3 brothers wounded for 21 days I think?, 30 days later get chaos cult part 2 send in Vakir, -50% research for 60 days, get chaos cult part 3 (oh for fucks sake this is a grey knights strike cruiser!) sent 6 knights in to wipe them all 6 wounded 30 days. Thought well the cuntish random events cant be much worse than that can they?

See chaos cruiser en route to my system, have tangled with them before twice won with Lunette & Vakir getting injured for 30 days in the 2 fights I've had. Stayed in system to fight the chaos cruiser, this cruiser was spreading a compound to the planet below. Vakir realises its firing seed fragments, your choices are: send a strike team, fire on the cruiser, gently caress off, I forgot what the fourth option was (it "put the ship at great risk, action i took did the same) but I went with "shoot some fools".

Screen cuts to black.

Cue an FMV of Ectar looking panicked as explosions begin, same for Lunete, Vakir. KABOOM

GAME OVER gently caress YOU.

:psyduck:

Thank Christ I wasn't on ironman.

That's a new level of gently caress you from a x-com like for me!

edit: if people want the details spoilering, let me know but imo people should know there's a random event that can end your game instantly.

The game's pretty clear that you need to upgrade your guns and hull

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Starting a game, what are my upgrade priorities for the ship throughout the game? And what type of knight classes should I favor in my team. I gather going no apothecary, melee heavy (Hammers best?) is best.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
The armour-wrights of Titan have clearly succumbed to typo-heresy and are in dire need of a visit from the Ordo Orthographicus. :ohdear:

TheWeedNumber posted:

Starting a game, what are my upgrade priorities for the ship throughout the game? And what type of knight classes should I favor in my team. I gather going no apothecary, melee heavy (Hammers best?) is best.
The Augmentation Chamber upgrades should probably be gotten out of the way fairly early – servitors are a surprisingly limited resource in my experience, and the sooner you start producing additional ones the better. The first Meditation Chamber upgrade, at least, is also worth prioritising as it is a considerable early game benefit to have your Knights ranking up faster.

I always had an Apothecary on my squad and, honestly, never really felt that I was wasting a slot. Granted, most of the healing he dished out came from his medicae servo-skulls, which could have been used almost as well by any other class, but his Warp Speed and Iron Arm biomancy abilities both are pretty handy for supercharging an aggressive melee class like the Interceptor. (However, last I checked, equipping the Apothecarion servo-skull rendered the upgrades of these biomancy abilities inactive, which is probably a bug.) Then again I did only play on Standard difficulty, which is rather forgiving all in all.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

TheWeedNumber posted:

Regarding research, you want to prioritize both servitor-generating techs as quickly as possible so you can maintain upgrading with no downtime. After those (with level 1 and 2 ship generators mixed in as well), Apothecarion level 1 is important to get the wound time reduction to keep your marines going out on missions (not that this is not the leftmost tech in that category, the first two are not prerequisites for the last two). Next would probably be (Edit) Meditation chamber for the xp boost, then Barracks level one to get another four slots, around which time you will start to have additional classes to recruit. From there it opens up and you can pick and choose; you should probably repair the hull/shields/guns at some point soon after that.

I find that two of my four slots for missions will always be Justicar and Interceptor. Try to level up two of each on a rotating basis. The other two are flexible. I find that a second Interceptor is somewhat overkill and that Purgators with guns-only are overrated, maybe when you unlock the abilities to get many, many grenades that changes a bit.

I do get mileage out of one apothecary on some of the longer missions on the second half of the game, carrying the heal servo skull as well as the extractor one. WP upgrades are incredibly important for them so you can use the big heal more than once, and the active abilities (biomancy) are comparatively trash. So maybe bring along and level up one apothecary, but definitely not two. You can send the other one back to titan to free up a slot for a third justicar/interceptor because you dudes WILL get wounded in the early game.

Legendary Ptarmigan fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 19, 2022

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I've only played a little bit of the game (maybe three hours), but it seems super easy on normal. Is it going to ramp up after a few hours or should I go up a notch?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
should i prioritize grimoires, requisition, or servitors?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Psycho Landlord posted:

Upgrading your guns and hull because an event will gently caress you over if you don't isn't fun and doesn't add anything to the game at all

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I thought it was neat

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Psycho Landlord posted:

Level 2 guns level 2 void shields and near max Hull against a cruiser with lv2 guns. Still got blown up.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

rocket_Magnet posted:

Level 2 guns level 2 void shields and near max Hull against a cruiser with lv2 guns. Still got blown up.

I'm fairly sure many decisions are still random, the upgrades just improve your odds.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TheWeedNumber posted:

should i prioritize grimoires, requisition, or servitors?

I haven't had a choice in my last three rounds of missions - they've all offered grimoires. Guess it's time to restart because it's past day 100 and I haven't been able to upgrade anything apart from the basic reactor and servitor maker plus one level of hull.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

JBP posted:

I've only played a little bit of the game (maybe three hours), but it seems super easy on normal. Is it going to ramp up after a few hours or should I go up a notch?

how are you finding it to be so easy? I'm currently on a bloomspawn mission where i took too long to off one of the things and it spawned a full squad of plague bearers. I can't possibly survive the encounter at this point and I've been playing pretty decently I figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

rocket_Magnet posted:

I have never once seen a ship encounter do more than one hull damage and I spent a huge chunk of my late game run hunting chaos cruisers for easy requisition. Did you pick the option that says "the enemy is outclassed" as flavor text?