Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I have iodine tincture at home in case I need to purify water with it. I rarely use it when hiking for that purpose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

Also doesn't neosporin have antibiotics in it? Wouldn't surprise me if it contributes to antibiotics resistance to use it

probably
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3310646/

but it’s probably better to use it and let your immune system just fight the potentially resistant stuff than end up in the hospital and get mrsa anyway

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mr. Lobe posted:

Also doesn't neosporin have antibiotics in it? Wouldn't surprise me if it contributes to antibiotics resistance to use it

It also turns out a decent portion of people are actually specifically allergic to the antibiotics in neosporin - its common enough that when i was having a serious reaction to something they asked me if i had used neosporin - i had - and they marked it in my chart and said never to use it again.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

silicone thrills posted:

It also turns out a decent portion of people are actually specifically allergic to the antibiotics in neosporin - its common enough that when i was having a serious reaction to something they asked me if i had used neosporin - i had - and they marked it in my chart and said never to use it again.

Imagine all the people allergic to iodine

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

500excf type r posted:

Imagine all the people allergic to iodine

Yeah, imagine all the people allergic to an essential nutrient

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

Wikipedia says 10%! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neomycin?wprov=sfti1

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Yeah, imagine all the people allergic to an essential nutrient

learn something new every day

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It's why salt has iodine put in it because people love salt so you get it in your meals.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Yeah, iodine deficiency gives you a nasty condition called goiter. Makes your neck swell up real bad due to thyroid dysfunction

In unindustrialized places without ionized salt it is a health hazard

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I just use Vaseline on my wounds

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

tater_salad posted:

It's why salt has iodine put in it because people love salt so you get it in your meals.

my blood pressure thanks you

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I use peroxide because the rapid bubbling lets me imagine the pathogens are boiling alive

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I use peroxide because the rapid bubbling lets me imagine the pathogens are boiling alive

It really is hard to beat the satisfaction of frothy microbial death

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Lobe posted:

Yeah, iodine deficiency gives you a nasty condition called goiter. Makes your neck swell up real bad due to thyroid dysfunction

In unindustrialized places without ionized salt it is a health hazard

Iodine deficiency is making a comeback, for a variety of reasons.

We added iodine to our table salt, but most packaged food is without it. The same is largely true at restaurants. These make up increasing shares of our diets.

Another major source of iodine is dairy, but that is one the decline.

Finally, it’s not not helping matters that “natural” sea salt is trendy, and of course adding iodine would hurt sales.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Platystemon posted:

It’s like how a dozen planes could strafe a Zeppelin with machine guns and the beast is just so big that the bleeding is inconsequential.

i wish zeppelins were still around in all their glory
people these days have little grasp at how monstrously large those things were
them flying through the air would be awe inspiring
too bad they don't like weather very much

Evil_Greven has issued a correction as of 02:27 on May 19, 2022

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
It was windy in southwest BC today.

https://twitter.com/earthquakeguy/status/1527036020679532544

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010
I live in Victoria and i can confirm its windy as gently caress op

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
lol this is like every day oklahoma weather y'all got up here right now

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

silicone thrills posted:

Good to know. I'm allergic to the big three (penicillin, tetracycline, & erythromycin) but I don't use neosporin. Apparently I'm not going to start now.

Platystemon posted:

Iodine deficiency is making a comeback, for a variety of reasons.

We added iodine to our table salt, but most packaged food is without it. The same is largely true at restaurants. These make up increasing shares of our diets.

Another major source of iodine is dairy, but that is one the decline.

Finally, it’s not not helping matters that “natural” sea salt is trendy, and of course adding iodine would hurt sales.

Well gently caress. Glad I eat seaweed. Hopefully the price isn't about to go through the roof. I'd harvest my own but this area has had too many leaking septic systems on the foreshore for too many years. Not eating anything on these beaches. :barf:

Can confirm. House was shaking, especially when large chunks of maple hit the ground nearby. They don't like getting hit by storm force winds when they're in full leaf.

Instead of rain the southeaster brought in clear skies. :wtc: We've seen bugger all sun for the last few weeks and when it does arrive it wasn't safe to go outside because of all the flying branches.

100,000 households without power at one point. Fortunately we're not some corrupt privatized third world shithole so most of us were back online after a few hours.

Need to sharpen the chainsaw tonight.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Hexigrammus posted:

Good to know. I'm allergic to the big three (penicillin, tetracycline, & erythromycin) but I don't use neosporin. Apparently I'm not going to start now.

Well gently caress. Glad I eat seaweed. Hopefully the price isn't about to go through the roof. I'd harvest my own but this area has had too many leaking septic systems on the foreshore for too many years. Not eating anything on these beaches. :barf:

Can confirm. House was shaking, especially when large chunks of maple hit the ground nearby. They don't like getting hit by storm force winds when they're in full leaf.

Instead of rain the southeaster brought in clear skies. :wtc: We've seen bugger all sun for the last few weeks and when it does arrive it wasn't safe to go outside because of all the flying branches.

100,000 households without power at one point. Fortunately we're not some corrupt privatized third world shithole so most of us were back online after a few hours.

Need to sharpen the chainsaw tonight.

Yeah was calm in the morning and then we had crazy gusts starting the early afternoon and yeah was weird to see it bring clear weather.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

i use isopropyl because i imagine the searing pain is happening to the bugs instead of me. if it hurts me this much they probably don't like it

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zerg Mans posted:

how do you people remember this

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gently caress

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Tomorrow is going to be hotter...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxrCyqXzHI8

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
This is getting very strange but yes it has been unusually warm and windy.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

peroxide makes you way more likely to scar

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

theflyingexecutive posted:

But scars are cool.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You know what helps prevent scarring? Vaseline.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

so it makes you much more likely to be cooler B)

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/ctnimbus/status/1527130904149250048

Looks like a painting.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

add some sadrap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n25Jvp0zK8

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

lol

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

ok but everyone rememberds that one

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

a haboob so nice I'm quoting it for everyone to look at again

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

tarps got you covered

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

El Laucha posted:

tarps got you covered

ok that’s actually not a bad idea

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Tarp under to protect against flood, tarp over to beat the rain and snow,,, your car is invincible../.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
car galosh

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

El Burbo posted:

Tarp under to protect against flood, tarp over to beat the rain and snow,,, your car is invincible../.

why not just make the whole car out of tarp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

El Laucha posted:

tarps got you covered

huh, so in the right conditions this could turn a car into a boat?