Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

awesomeolion posted:

That's really helpful, thanks! Sounds like Prusa is the way to go. It looks like prusa3d.com is the official site for buying Prusa printers based on Google and the vibes. prusaprinters.org goes to printables.com

Yup. I can recommend the Mini+, very happy with mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I own an Ender 3 v2 and will confirm that Prusa printers look dreamy.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I was 90% sure I would buy the Mk3s+ ... and then within six months buy the Prusa XL.

Therefore, I bought a Voron 2.4 LDO kit and made that instead. I am a sucker for "BUILD THIS FROM A KIT!" anything.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doctor Zero posted:

I would get a steel PEI flex sheet and never look back.

Funny enough I’m going to have to return the printer, not that I don’t love it, but the micro usb reader doesn’t seem to detect anything from memory to Octipi. I think I’m just going to drop a few more dollars and get a bigger model. Honestly I love this stuff so much.

I did see some open box items for 207 for the Ender 3 v2. Normally I’d just get the Ender 3…but I don’t want to get burnt whenever Microcenter offers a $100 off coupon again.

Anyone have any suggestions on the Ender 3 lines that tend to be at around 175-215 or the open box Ender 3v2?

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions and feedback. I can’t stress enough how helpful it’s been and how much I’ve enjoyed learning how things work, beyond hitting slice and then print.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_QLxTVtyng

What the gently caress

awesomeolion posted:

prusaprinters.org goes to printables.com

This is a recent change--
prusaprinters was serving as a model repository, but a lot of people thought it was just for Prusa printers
So now it's printables!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sockser posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_QLxTVtyng

What the gently caress

This is a recent change--
prusaprinters was serving as a model repository, but a lot of people thought it was just for Prusa printers
So now it's printables!

I tried to upload some models to thingiverse but it was so badly broken I couldn't finish creating an account, so I put them on printables instead. I thought it was the de facto replacement.

mewse
May 2, 2006

cruft posted:

I thought it was the de facto replacement.

It almost is. The code behind thingiverse is so bad that prusa was like "might as well put up a model site" and it's significantly better from a reliability standpoint. Just missing the huge back catalog of uploads

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Hey! I did that with the Monoprice Mini Delta printer so that gravity would aid the wonky bed level probe mechanism it had!

(Turn the printer upside down and print things that way)

Honestly you can do the inverted printing thing with any machine where you regularly get good bed adhesion. Just need to secure it upside down on the bottom of a shelf.

Looks like the print size limit is right up there at the point where gravity would pull a print off the build plate though.

Definitely wouldn't want an inverted Voron 2.4 at the 400mm cube print area printing a full area print like that.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So any thoughts on the Ender 3 v2? Obviously this depends on just how much of an open box it is and nothing major or important is missing.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

awesomeolion posted:

I'm considering getting a 3D printer and I'm curious what's recommended in TYOOL 2022. I would be fine spending some more money if that means it actually works and I don't have to gently caress with it constantly. I would be doing the usual poo poo like printing small models I make or find on the internet. I'm in the USA and only use Mac OS. Thanks!

As others have pointed out, this is the exact niche Prusa is good for if you are printing FDM. Depending on what you mean by "printing small models", though, you might be better off with a resin printer; I have no idea what the best it-just-works resin printer is.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Scarodactyl posted:

I don't do resin printing, but do you think I'm right to tell my friend not to spend 10k on one of these for live prototyping of rings? https://www.b9c.com/products/b9-core-series
It seems to me like he could probably export his models and print them on a normal resin printer but maybe there is something I am missing.

I'm sorry I missed this, but just wanted to reflect what you were told. I have the whole setup for a b9 550 at work. While it uses a castable resin (emerald and another one at the moment) we don't use it outside of "here is kinda what your part will look like. But green." It apparently doesn't consistently burn out well. Basically I get to play with the thing because we use a solidscape and projet instead.

If he wants a machine just to show prototype pieces, buy a cheap resin printer 4k or better for resolution if they are intricate pieces.

E: we use 15 thousand dollars of b9 stuff to make poo poo like this for fun because we don't use it much otherwise.

Droogie fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 18, 2022

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Droogie posted:

E: we use 15 thousand dollars of b9 stuff to make poo poo like this for fun because we don't use it much otherwise.

I'm calling HR.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So any thoughts on the Ender 3 v2? Obviously this depends on just how much of an open box it is and nothing major or important is missing.

Are you the one looking to get into 3d printing so you can defeat your brother?

Looks like your brother is gonna remain undefeated at this rate, if so.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 18, 2022

mewse
May 2, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

People advocate prusa machines because they "just work". Enders can be totally acceptable if you know what you're doing, and even really good with some strategic upgrades. Getting an open box Ender is masochistic:

- Someone returned the machine. There is probably something wrong with it.
- You are gambling that there is nothing wrong with it, and previous owner returned it for another reason.
- Nobody restocking the "open box" machine runs test prints to see if there's something wrong with it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There's like a 99% chance an open box Ender has been harved for parts

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well that’s why I’m gonna inspect it and if it sucks I’ll just get a different ender two to replace the SD card issue, Which is legit not working anyway so it was coming back anyhow.

Luckily with microcenter it’s still returnable, if I get it back and it has issues.

Also there’s a chance that it is a floor model instead and they actually do do prints with them at the store, so perhaps they do retest stuff?

It’s just I want that bigger build plate (and it’s glass) and also the end or three just seemed easy as hell if a part‘s missing or needs to be replaced later it’s not a big deal and also the description mentioned only packaging material, but I’ll check and I do appreciate all the advice from everyone and heads up.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Well that’s why I’m gonna inspect it and if it sucks I’ll just get a different ender two to replace the SD card issue, Which is legit not working anyway so it was coming back anyhow.

Let us know how it goes, OP.

FWIW I like my E3v2 a whole lot.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I'm calling HR.

Are you the one looking to get into 3d printing so you can defeat your brother?

Looks like your brother is gonna remain undefeated at this rate, I'd so.

Sorry if my religion makes you uncomfortable.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cruft posted:

Let us know how it goes, OP.

FWIW I like my E3v2 a whole lot.

Will do! I have to disassemble my current one in the back my car so I can return it, but I did get a chance to look inside the box as they opened it for me and everything was sealed and they said whenever 3-D printer comes back it goes back to the company for inspection to make sure the parts work. It doesn’t look like anything is missing or abused. Plus I still have the ability to return it.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Scarodactyl posted:

Thanks! His gemcutting business has been taking off and he's hoping to get into jewelry making (but he'd having casting done by a third party rather than doing it himself, he just needs physical prototypes to prototype and/or impress customers with). I suspect even a cheap resin printer would work for that but I'm not sure. He's apparently been told that calibration and/or alignment are a timesink on other printers. That seemed questionable to me.
Turns out the actual reason is they have DRM on the generated models and you're locked in to using an overpriced printer and particular non-casting resin, and can only have the parent company do your casting for you.
Everyone loves that!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Droogie posted:

Sorry if my religion makes you uncomfortable.

Breastfeeding in an industrial area without proper PPE is an HSE violation, religious beliefs have nothing to do with it.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Breastfeeding in an industrial area without proper PPE is an HSE violation, religious beliefs have nothing to do with it.

Excuse me, but this company has a space for that.

...which while I support, I am just now realizing that it's wild because 90+% of this place is industrial manufacturing and warehouse. Huh. Never seen a baby here.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

came here to post this. Might be my next project after I finish the cnc machine

180x180x180mm print volume, core xy, and fits inside a filament box. He was showing this off a year ago but the files werent available to my knowledge

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I would assume that if it was sent back to the manufacturer and tested and refurbished. I think I’ll be good. Famous last words I know.

That said everything that’s should be sealed is same for the glass bed (in case it doesn’t show.

Well I don’t see a sd card with usb stick, but that’s like not an issue and for all I know this doesn’t come with one.

Well that or under the main stuff lol

Edit: it was in fact under the main stuff.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 18, 2022

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Droogie posted:

Excuse me, but this company has a space for that.

...which while I support, I am just now realizing that it's wild because 90+% of this place is industrial manufacturing and warehouse. Huh. Never seen a baby here.

Bro the baby doesn't go to the warehouse...

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Poking around the settings of a brand new Mono X. I see the UV power setting is at 100% from the factory. Is that something I should reduce, and what considerations are there with that setting?

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

bird food bathtub posted:

Poking around the settings of a brand new Mono X. I see the UV power setting is at 100% from the factory. Is that something I should reduce, and what considerations are there with that setting?

With the caveat that I don't actually own a Mono X - most of the exposure settings I've seen for it have you set the LCD power to 80%. If you search for "[resin brand] Mono X settings", there's quite a lot of information out there that you should be able to use as a jumping-off point. The various Facebook printer owner groups are often surprisingly informative too, but signal to noise ratio can be a bit annoying at times.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i keep mine at 80

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Related to my inconsistent first layer problems is that I'm getting a occasional "wonk" sound on the X-Axis. I think it's some sort of rubbing or harmonic, but I can't isolate it. It doesn't occur with small moves and I can't trigger it with manual axis moves or thru octoprint. I'll try to get a recording.

It's a Mk3s. I recalibrated the axes (again) and adjusted the SuperPinda (again). I've tightened the x-axis belt because it was slightly loose by one tooth. It changed pitch after that and is a deeper sound now. Maybe the idler on the right side?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Deviant posted:

i keep mine at 80

I'll bump it down to that. I assume exposure times in general will have to increase? Current settings with 100% using Elegoo grey ABS like are 6 layers burn in at 60 seconds. Are those settings way out of line? It was 50 seconds based on community values but 6 of 8 test prints stuck to the FEP. At 60 seconds and some sand paper scuffing of the build plate only 1 stuck.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

run an exposure test. ameralabs town, or something. mono x needs a particular filename though, R_E_R_F.pwmx i think.

been a minute but i'm sure google knows

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well I looked over all the parts and everything looks perfectly fine. So I’m pretty drat happy with the deal I wound up getting. That’s said I’m going to wait to assemble it until I pick up the new Springs, nozzle, and maybe the auto leveling kit.

Does anyone have any feedback on the CL auto leveler?

Also anyone with experience with the direct extruder that Swiss sells? I was watching a video on upgrades you can give your Ender 3 V2 and oh man the stuff you can do with this. That said I wouldn’t be getting the direct extrude anytime soon for cost reasons, but it’s definitely something I might want to pick up in the next few months. However I figure that just the nozzle upgrade, along with the springs, and maybe redoing the Cupler on the bowden tube, should suffice.

Finally does anyone have any, “you should print these upgrade stls as soon as the printer is running”, suggestions?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Well I looked over all the parts and everything looks perfectly fine. So I’m pretty drat happy with the deal I wound up getting. That’s said I’m going to wait to assemble it until I pick up the new Springs, nozzle, and maybe the auto leveling kit.

Does anyone have any feedback on the CL auto leveler?

Also anyone with experience with the direct extruder that Swiss sells? I was watching a video on upgrades you can give your Ender 3 V2 and oh man the stuff you can do with this. That said I wouldn’t be getting the direct extrude anytime soon for cost reasons, but it’s definitely something I might want to pick up in the next few months. However I figure that just the nozzle upgrade, along with the springs, and maybe redoing the Cupler on the bowden tube, should suffice.

Finally does anyone have any, “you should print these upgrade stls as soon as the printer is running”, suggestions?

Don't mess with bling until you get some time under your belt.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

NomNomNom posted:

Lazy babies. Jesus.

I will say of the B9 that it's easy enough to use that a stupid lazy baby could operate it successfully. In lieu of a stupid lazy baby, I have little to no issues using it.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Can anybody recommend a mesh editing / nesting / slicer solution for commercial use? Something with a free trial period so we can kick the tires a little?

We’re locked into a particular lovely proprietary CAM/slicer for setup and actually sending jobs to the printers, but the nesting functionality doesn’t even work properly and we’re wasting a ton of time working around it. I want to show people how much easier life will be when we can nest, add supports and do other print setup on a decent platform, export it to .stl, and then drop that into the proprietary slicer at the very end.

Big bonus if this software will also let us add text / build info to the meshes fairly painlessly, we’re having QC issues and want a way to tell which prints came from what printer.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah I figured the key ones will be good to start with and I am so looking forward to that auto level.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

NomNomNom posted:

I've heard people use the rooms where I work for hooking up.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Can anybody recommend a mesh editing / nesting / slicer solution for commercial use? Something with a free trial period so we can kick the tires a little?

We’re locked into a particular lovely proprietary CAM/slicer for setup and actually sending jobs to the printers, but the nesting functionality doesn’t even work properly and we’re wasting a ton of time working around it. I want to show people how much easier life will be when we can nest, add supports and do other print setup on a decent platform, export it to .stl, and then drop that into the proprietary slicer at the very end.

Big bonus if this software will also let us add text / build info to the meshes fairly painlessly, we’re having QC issues and want a way to tell which prints came from what printer.

I don't have much experience with this so someone else will probably have better suggestions, but I've usually heard about MeshMixer when it comes to editing provided STLs. It's usually better to get the fusion or STEP file and edit that rather than the mesh, not sure what input file type you are dealing with.

I have used some software called "ideaMaker" to apply a texture to the outside surface of STL models, it might have the capability to do nesting / supports you are looking for. The UI is terrible.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Prusa XL wheeeeen

I'm sure the Shanghai lockdown didn't help the situation any

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Scarodactyl posted:

Thanks! His gemcutting business has been taking off and he's hoping to get into jewelry making (but he'd having casting done by a third party rather than doing it himself, he just needs physical prototypes to prototype and/or impress customers with). I suspect even a cheap resin printer would work for that but I'm not sure. He's apparently been told that calibration and/or alignment are a timesink on other printers. That seemed questionable to me.

On one hand he could start messing around for 100s of dollars with something from Anycubic, Elegoo, etc, but if it's a business then absolutely pony up for the Formlabs. They know their poo poo, and their poo poo works. If it's a business thing then you're also paying to NOT gently caress around with vat film replacement, print surface leveling, etc and just reliably print instead.

I'm still trucking along with a Form 2, the Form 3 is even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Doctor Zero posted:

When I got my Ender 3 I printed off a bunch of "must-have!" thingiverse upgrades; they've all gone in the trash. An improved fan duct and a little tool bin are the only ones I'm still using but neither is a must have when you're starting out.