Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Larry Parrish posted:

oh, it's a rip off of Magic Survival for phones

It's better than Magic Survival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lammasu posted:

Is there any way to change the language to English? Guess not.

I'm assuming you mean for audio? I don't know about that game specifically but a lot of Japanese sub-AAA games of that era only had Japanese audio with text subtitles (see also Yakuza 2-6). It's a lot rarer now because as Judgment, Lost Judgment, and Yakuza LAD have shown, Western sales numbers are way higher if an English dub exists (stores will be more receptive to carrying and promoting it, and will order more copies to stock).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Sad DOA games aren’t on GamePass, I would like a good fighting game. I can’t make heads or tails of the DC superhero or mortal kombat games, and the super moves get so insanely repetitive.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Garou and KoF were on GWG last year sometime. Those games slap.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The current fighting game landscape on Xbox is a little weird but there are some good titles depending on what exactly you want.

The new Samurai Shodown and King of Fighters XV actually uniquely benefit from VRR screens and can go above 60fps, whereas the PS and PC versions are 60fps locked. Note that KoF15's matchmaking has been hosed since launch so it's probably not a good option if you're looking to play online. SS probably doesn't have enough people playing it on Xbox to recommend for online play either, for that matter. Also if you can get it on disc and live in Canada, for some reason the disc version of KoF15 is $60cad MSRP instead of $80 like it is digitally.

I think the other modernish game choices on Xbox are Tekken 7, Injustice 2, Mortal Kombat X/XL and 11, Dead or Alive 5 and 6, SoulCalibur VI and Dragon Ball FighterZ. Tekken 7 runs at a very low resolution (like 792p) because it never got an Xbox One X or Series boost, but it's 60fps locked on any Xbox. All the other games are fine and other than DoA and SC6 probably have enough people playing online to be playable in that way but I'm not actually sure on that, most people playing online are on PS4 with some PC depending on the game.

Retro-wise there's Garou Mark of the Wolves and some older KoF titles that are largely 360 titles that are backwards compatible, the Street Fighter collection, and the Xbox 360 versions of Injustice 1, Tekken 6, SoulCalibur II and Street Fighter IV (although it's a bit weird on XB1 for backwards compatibility, you generally need to get Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition and upgrade that to Ultra SF4).

There are a stack of PC and PlayStation exclusives of varying popularity including BlazBlue Central Fiction, Melty Blood, Guilty Gear Strive (and its predecessors Xrd Sign and Revelator/Rev2), Street Fighter V, Skullgirls Encore and Granblue Fantasy Versus.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'm a filthy casual fighting game player and am super bad at them. The Samurai Shodown has my interest though because I remember that in the neo geo arcade machine wayyyy back when.

Probably my favourite fighting game of all time was Bushido Blade 2 on PSX, a friend and I would have absolutely epic fights with that, it was fantastic.

Also I just want games on GamePass :haw:, I probably wouldn't play them enough to justify a separate purchase.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm still baffled that they haven't ported Samurai Showdown to PS5 yet.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
KOF15 is by all accounts really loving great but it's hard to me as a guy who isn't remotely competitive and just fucks around to justify $50-$60 on a serious fighting game like that. I was seriously considering getting it when it came out because I was watching a bunch of streamers play it and it looked really fun, but then I bought Elden Ring instead and haven't thought about another video game since.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I made the mistake of showing my 10 year old the button combo for the super move of injustice 2 and if I have to see batman's batwing attack one more time I will throw the tv out the window

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm still baffled that they haven't ported Samurai Showdown to PS5 yet.

There are a few weird issues with porting fighting games right now especially ones that are likely to see higher levels of play. There's some weird Unreal Engine bug on PS5 that causes slightly more input lag than there should be that Epic is trying to fix, and there are input lag nuances across all platforms. For example, Guilty Gear Strive has different input lag on PS4 and PS4 Pro, as well as if you run the PS4 version on a PS5 or run the native PS5 version, which is making tournament consistency a whole thing since the higher end consoles are too hard to acquire, too expensive and even too large/heavy for tournament viability right now. This year's EVO is running all games on their PS4 versions and I'm pretty sure that the tournament equipment people just have a shitload of wedge PS4s and PS4 Slims.

And I think Samsho didn't do that well commercially and given how the Xbox and PC ports died immediately for online play I doubt they'll want to throw money away on a proper port.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Not on gamepass but Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 is currently $10 apparently, online's probably deader than the BC games though.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
No one's mentioned the power rangers fighting game.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

No one's mentioned the power rangers fighting game.

It was bad at launch but they kept working on it to where it looks pretty good now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsPXMHasX0M

Some of these DLC characters looks awesome too. I'll probably pick it up when I need a break from Strive and it goes on sale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_tr1M5oNNA

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

univbee posted:

There are a few weird issues with porting fighting games right now especially ones that are likely to see higher levels of play. There's some weird Unreal Engine bug on PS5 that causes slightly more input lag than there should be that Epic is trying to fix, and there are input lag nuances across all platforms. For example, Guilty Gear Strive has different input lag on PS4 and PS4 Pro, as well as if you run the PS4 version on a PS5 or run the native PS5 version, which is making tournament consistency a whole thing since the higher end consoles are too hard to acquire, too expensive and even too large/heavy for tournament viability right now. This year's EVO is running all games on their PS4 versions and I'm pretty sure that the tournament equipment people just have a shitload of wedge PS4s and PS4 Slims.

And I think Samsho didn't do that well commercially and given how the Xbox and PC ports died immediately for online play I doubt they'll want to throw money away on a proper port.

That's a shame. Samsho was the most fun I had with a fighting game since SFIV.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
There's a new Microsoft Rewards punch card for playing and getting an achievement in one of ten games. Here are the games:

Grounded
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Zoo Tycoon
Maneater
Mighty Goose
ARK
TUNIC
Omno
PAW Patrol
and Blinx the Time Sweeper.

Blinx the Time Sweeper is an original Xbox game and doesn't have achievements. Whoops.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
drat my kids have already gotten pretty much gotten every achievement in Paw Patrol I think. Would have been an easy get, still is for anyone else.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Zerot posted:

There's a new Microsoft Rewards punch card for playing and getting an achievement in one of ten games. Here are the games:

Grounded
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Zoo Tycoon
Maneater
Mighty Goose
ARK
TUNIC
Omno
PAW Patrol
and Blinx the Time Sweeper.

Blinx the Time Sweeper is an original Xbox game and doesn't have achievements. Whoops.

I did the one like that last month with Banjo Nuts & Bolts and couldn't get the punch card to stamp despite getting achievements, so it's all the same to me.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

priznat posted:

I'm a filthy casual fighting game player and am super bad at them. The Samurai Shodown has my interest though because I remember that in the neo geo arcade machine wayyyy back when.

Probably my favourite fighting game of all time was Bushido Blade 2 on PSX, a friend and I would have absolutely epic fights with that, it was fantastic.

Also I just want games on GamePass :haw:, I probably wouldn't play them enough to justify a separate purchase.

Bushido blade was awesome and I can't believe some indie dev hasn't made a modern knock off.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Red Warrior posted:

drat my kids have already gotten pretty much gotten every achievement in Paw Patrol I think. Would have been an easy get, still is for anyone else.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The only active and good fighting games out right now are Tekken 7, KOF 15, and Strive (though this game is definitely not for me). DBZ too if you consider it good. They're all on xbox except Strive. There are other good games on xbox but player counts are so anemic as for it to not be worth recommending. Samsho (2019) is the most fun 2d fighter released in recent times but the netcode is a steaming turd and there's no crossplay and a miniscule player base. If you want to play older games where you have to wait minutes to get a match, Garou, the SF collection, samsho 2 are great. Tekken Tag 2 and Tekken 6 oddly have weirdly resilient player bases and I can get a good connection match in 30 second for some reason. SF5 is crap and Playstation did us a favor throwing money for exclusivity on that, word is 6 will be on everything again.

Luckily all new fighting games are coming out with good netcode starting basically a year ago so the next tekken etc. will be better on that end.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I have MK11 or whatever because it was on sale one time. I don't actually play it, I just pit the CPU against itself and watch the mayhem while I'm doing chores sometimes.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Tekken 7 goes on sale constantly and I keep waffling on it

Beastie posted:

I have MK11 or whatever because it was on sale one time. I don't actually play it, I just pit the CPU against itself and watch the mayhem while I'm doing chores sometimes.
same

e: I remember DOA being fun but it might be just too horny

Scuba Trooper fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 18, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/paw-patrol-mighty-pups-cartoon-canines-in-fascistic-mission-1.3893125

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

Its the best fighting game of this generation.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

same

e: I remember DOA being fun but it might be just too horny

Remember when men's rights assholes were saying that SJWs were going to take the horny out of fighting games?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Professor Beetus posted:

Bushido blade was awesome and I can't believe some indie dev hasn't made a modern knock off.

It was really great. I liked both but preferred 2.

pulling out the extremely cheap move of throwing the secondary sword through a guy's face was always an invitation for a real life thrashing on whoever did it :haw:

Along those lines I was a bit disappointed that Trek to Yomi didn't have better fighting mechanics.

Beastie posted:

holy cow this is a great idea, I should try that. It is just really un-fun for me to play (although I have never enjoyed the MK mechanics, always been more of a street fighter fan)

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yeah it was for chores or when my buddy would come over and I'd put some music on and start a fight while we shot the poo poo. It's fun to bet on too.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lammasu posted:

Remember when men's rights assholes were saying that SJWs were going to take the horny out of fighting games?

i didn't read your post history no

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Lammasu posted:

Just glancing at DLC there is no threat to the DOA franchise's horn levels

priznat posted:

holy cow this is a great idea, I should try that. It is just really un-fun for me to play (although I have never enjoyed the MK mechanics, always been more of a street fighter fan)

the only reason I can play MK with an iota of competence is because I love Injustice, but since I have zero attachment to the MK franchise I just let the AI go loose and I explore the crypt krypt. I don't even have the story installed

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
IMO DoA used to be fun for a casual fighting games player like me, but with 5/6 it got transformed into a platform mostly focused on selling overpriced fan service costumes and lolis to horny nerds. I clicked through the sale yesterday and 6 is apparently up to four or five season passes all going for about 50 bucks (discounted) each.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Isn't Doa6 a free-to-play or something?

Checking steam DLC:
'Browse All (461)' :sigh:
1 New character - 8 euros :argh:

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Honestly in this era, DoA is actually less horny than the average fighting game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Dead or Alive 5 switched to a pseudo-F2P model mid-lifecycle where people could play for free with a small set of characters and buy other ones a-la-carte, along with the usual costume deluge.

It must have done alright, because they started off with that model for DOA6... except that one didn't do nearly as well because the series is basically dead now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Lammasu posted:

no I don’t remember, I didn’t really go into this subforum back then

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I wish I liked fighting games but that poo poo so trifling

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

just be bad at them. it's what I do

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

American McGay posted:

KOF15 is by all accounts really loving great but it's hard to me as a guy who isn't remotely competitive and just fucks around to justify $50-$60 on a serious fighting game like that. I was seriously considering getting it when it came out because I was watching a bunch of streamers play it and it looked really fun, but then I bought Elden Ring instead and haven't thought about another video game since.

The online matchmaking is broken with no communication on fixing it. Its pretty hosed and theres a funny down detector parody website about it.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I love that MK11 lets you pin moves from the move list to the screen, I'm not gonna learn that poo poo
do the tower mode against AI, pick 3-4 new kombos every fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Ruffian Price posted:

I love that MK11 lets you pin moves from the move list to the screen, I'm not gonna learn that poo poo
do the tower mode against AI, pick 3-4 new kombos every fight

Ooo I might download it now!