Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Lunatics might actually avoid hitting the boat too. Might be safer to just tow it everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Just had a chance to test ride the bike boat trailer I knocked together over the weekend.

Pulls an 70lb sailboat like a dream. Can't wait to pull up to the boat ramp next to a bunch of bro trucks.

very cool! :cool: :cheers:

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Ardennes posted:

On a Prius you can’t even take just the bulb out, you have to replace the entire assembly. I think Teslas are designed so you pretty much can’t replace anything on your own.

we used to have standardised sealed beam headlamps that cost almost nothing, could be picked up at the supermarket and changed in seconds. now every car has bespoke led clusters which total the car when they fail.

Sphyre posted:

tell me about it, i've accumulated a bunch of tools and a bike stand and am tinkering with something or another pretty much every weekend on my bikes because it's fun and easy. whereas i never so much learned how to change the oil on a car. didn't want to get under that thing. it might slip off the jack and crush me

seriouspost: do not ever get under a car which is only supported by a jack, you need axle stands or ramps or you will get flat stanley'd

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Just had a chance to test ride the bike boat trailer I knocked together over the weekend.

Pulls an 70lb sailboat like a dream. Can't wait to pull up to the boat ramp next to a bunch of bro trucks.

:captainpop:

Swap_File
Nov 24, 2004
WIN386.SWP

Horace posted:

we used to have standardised sealed beam headlamps that cost almost nothing, could be picked up at the supermarket and changed in seconds. now every car has bespoke led clusters which total the car when they fail.

I do like simple, but modern adaptive LEDs are more power efficient, more aerodynamic, last longer, and provide more visibility without blinding others.

They do cost a lot more to replace when they fail, but they avoid the continuous replacement cycle sealed beams required.

Whenever one of my halogens burned out, I'd preemptively replace them both, and keep the old functional unit in my trunk as an emergency back up I could replace on the fly. Most people didn't do this, and you'd see many vehicles on the road with only one working headlight, or mismatched headlights as bulbs only got replaced individually as they burned out.

Edit: The return of sealed beams would likely bring the return of pop-up headlights, which I wouldn't mind.

Swap_File has issued a correction as of 14:14 on May 18, 2022

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

El Pollo Blanco posted:

put new brake pads on my bike today, amazing how enjoyable bike maintenance is compared to a car where even something as simple as changing a blown bulb is a loving mission because whoever designed the housing didn't think anyone would ever need to access it easily

older cars are pretty enjoyable to work on bc the engine bay is so large and spacious. Modern cars are like a labryninth designed to eat your tools and burn your hands

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Where do you get a trailer hitch that attaches to the seat post is what i want to know

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Where do you get a trailer hitch that attaches to the seat post is what i want to know

From a trail a bike. People are always donating them when their kids outgrow so they're easy to pick up at a bike coop for like $20.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Sphyre posted:

tell me about it, i've accumulated a bunch of tools and a bike stand and am tinkering with something or another pretty much every weekend on my bikes because it's fun and easy. whereas i never so much learned how to change the oil on a car. didn't want to get under that thing. it might slip off the jack and crush me

A friend of mine died in literally this way. She was changing her oil, but her car was only supported by a jack, it rolled backwards and she suffocated under the car. It's one of those things that I was taught by my dad when I was 6 and saw him working on the car, but I doubt she ever had that opportunity.

If you are going to be under your car, use jackstands and block the wheels that are on the ground.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

A friend of mine died in literally this way. She was changing her oil, but her car was only supported by a jack, it rolled backwards and she suffocated under the car. It's one of those things that I was taught by my dad when I was 6 and saw him working on the car, but I doubt she ever had that opportunity.

If you are going to be under your car, use jackstands and block the wheels that are on the ground.

Fuuuck that sucks

https://i.imgur.com/e7YxhRJ.mp4

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/mathewi/status/1526707770699001857?t=asDXn3rHocCrlcCZ7hMb0g&s=19

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

quote:

Orchestrated engine noise has become a necessity for electric cars, which run so quietly that they can provide a dangerous surprise for inattentive pedestrians and the blind. Federal safety officials expect to finalize rules later this year requiring all hybrid and electric cars to play fake engine sounds to alert passersby, a change that experts estimate could prevent thousands of pedestrian and cyclist injuries.

goddammit

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmXhw2yMIyk

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Ford said in a statement that the vintage V-8 engine boom “has long been considered the mating call of Mustang,” but added that the newly processed pony-car sound is “athletic and youthful,” “a more refined growl” with “a low-frequency sense of powerfulness.”

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

speaking of simulated engine noise, the Dodge Challenger / Charger have that in spades and the people who drive those cars are by far the shittiest, most reckless drivers i see on the roads. No one else even comes close.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

its not that bad, i've heard it on some modern hybrids and its definitely quieter than actual exhaust sound. i'm sure it's quieter than the sound from tires + aero once a vehicle is going more than 30mph.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

its not that bad, i've heard it on some modern hybrids and its definitely quieter than actual exhaust sound. i'm sure it's quieter than the sound from tires + aero once a vehicle is going more than 30mph.

It's even quieter and safer if you remove the car altogether!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure that the sounds you hear inside of any modern car are a carefully-curated experience.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

local residents comparing light rail to I-94 lol

https://www.startribune.com/north-minneapolis-neighborhood-worried-about-blue-line-light-rail-extension/600174382/

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

holy poo poo I just realized why my insight makes a weird windows login sound when I'm going slowly on all electric

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Zerg Mans posted:

holy poo poo I just realized why my insight makes a weird windows login sound when I'm going slowly on all electric

I hate cars like yours because it sounds like a ufo or some shut and it’s much more distracting than a rumble. they should outlaw electric vehicles until they fix their noise pollution issues.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

yeah man how will the fire truck navigate crossing something that takes up the space of 2 car lanes and will probably have a crossing every block

truly a mystery

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

withak posted:

I'm pretty sure that the sounds you hear inside of any modern car are a carefully-curated experience.

my 2014 focus st did the piped-engine noise thing

been around a long time now

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

bmws literally play back a .wav file of an engine noise over the sound system

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

A MIRACLE posted:

bmws literally play back a .wav file of an engine noise over the sound system

Yeah so does Ford and VW and Porsche and Toyota and GM. It's really stupid, but you can disconnect it.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I hope to one day see you on one of the boat ramp fails compilations. Sorry not sorry.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

true except saying it's so inexpensive that having it stolen isn't a big deal is prob not accurate

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I got a new bike and have been commuting to work this week. Ten miles roundtrip, it's kicking my out of shape rear end.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

WaryWarren posted:

I got a new bike and have been commuting to work this week. Ten miles roundtrip, it's kicking my out of shape rear end.

you will be in shape soon!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

speaking of simulated engine noise, the Dodge Challenger / Charger have that in spades and the people who drive those cars are by far the shittiest, most reckless drivers i see on the roads. No one else even comes close.

the challenger is the racist car which always makes me lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
whenevber i see one im like hell yea check it out! its the racist car! imagine if it was like kitt but racist lmao. so many angles to this bit

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
frantically pulling the ebrake and pressing buttons and dials on the dash as the racist car bucks like a bronco and burns out at a crosswalk as a line of minority children skip by with the crossing guard

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
just found out the UK has their own version of the automatic weapons ban, but for bullbars:

quote:

Due to the number of deaths and injuries caused by the rigid fronts of cars, often with metal bullbars (2,000 deaths and 18,000 serious accidents per year in Europe, according to official studies in the UK[2]), the sale of new metal bullbars which did not comply with a European Union Directive was banned in the European Union.[3] However, in the United Kingdom the sale and refitting of second-hand bars manufactured before 2007 or the use of pre-2007 bars already fitted is permitted as per the current MOT guidelines

lol that in England instead of trading for pre-1984 machine guns you buy pre-2007 aluminum tubes

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

actionjackson posted:

true except saying it's so inexpensive that having it stolen isn't a big deal is prob not accurate

it’s almost true in large cities. at least on the east coast there are churches or charities or some other organizations with a garage or basement full of used/damaged bikes you can sort through and take for free or even scavenge for parts. yeah getting your custom ultralight kevlar tire thing stolen sucks but there’s options

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

came here to post this

catering to literal babies who want to feel special. thats why cars ultimately suck, its this hand holding bullshit for the worst people, are they really such a LCD

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

drove for the first time in over a month yesterday, and was reminded of something: i hate cars

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I've almost been run over at least 3 times in the last month while using a marked crosswalk at a 4-way stop in my residential neighborhood.

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

chiming in to say this is also how one of my college roommates died. be safe, take precautions: destroy all cars

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

actionjackson posted:

You can get some shockingly cheap used bicycles that are good. Or a cheap new Walmart bicycle which will suck, but hey, it's a cheap bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

You can get some shockingly cheap used bicycles that are good. Or a cheap new Walmart bicycle which will suck, but hey, it's a cheap bike.

just wander around until a desperate drug addicted person tries to sell you smythe's e-bike for 20 bucks.