Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

tehinternet posted:

It looks like it would be really easy to reproduce for a fraction of the cost.

I was looking at some of the materials they have for it too and lol at some of the leather being pebbled— that’s trash tier leather that someone would pay $9k for.

I get charging (and paying) a premium for something that keeps you from getting Lowtax spine, but charging a bigger premium for what appears to be an okay lounger is just… wut

I gotta figure out how to get in on that level of grift someday
yeah, the knockoffs are only a couple thousand. have you never encountered a velben good before in your entire life? the entire point is that they are expensive, silly goose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I've been looking at a new chair that has replace the old used Aeron I have(and is totally broken and the wrong size for me), and I think I have settled on the Embody. Are those one size fits all?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

TenementFunster posted:

yeah, the knockoffs are only a couple thousand. have you never encountered a velben good before in your entire life? the entire point is that they are expensive, silly goose.

drat, I've understood the concept for as long as I can remember but I was never introduced to the term before! Today I learned.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Zarin posted:

drat, I've understood the concept for as long as I can remember but I was never introduced to the term before! Today I learned.

Yeah, same. I’d never heard the term.

Imagine how empty life has to be that you’ve got to buy expensive things because… they’re expensive

I get flexing on pinky up types like TF is doing, but goddamn. What a waste.

Sorry for the derail, I’m done

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Peachfart posted:

Are those one size fits all?
yes, unless you are clinically tall, clinically short, or clinically fat (so ~70% of these forums)

tehinternet posted:

Yeah, same. I’d never heard the term.

Imagine how empty life has to be that you’ve got to buy expensive things because… they’re expensive

I get flexing on pinky up types like TF is doing, but goddamn. What a waste.

Sorry for the derail, I’m done
cope

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

TenementFunster posted:

yes, unless you are clinically tall, clinically short, or clinically fat (so ~70% of these forums)

Geez, I'm working on it!!!!!!!1

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TenementFunster posted:

Hell you can get one from AliExpress for $500: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/10050...2e-7f45af21dbc3

I almost pulled the trigger on it too before realizing all the reviews were fake and uses stock or catalog photos lol

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

mobby_6kl posted:

I almost pulled the trigger on it too before realizing all the reviews were fake and uses stock or catalog photos lol

The only knock off I'd buy is the aircraft one and it looks like it's not being made anymore.

This is the most recent Eames I had to repair.

Someone had already used some drywall screws on it.

They usually break on the shock mounts, or they sheer off on the dog ear part.

I replaced all the mounts on it and it turned out as good as I can hope for, but I hate that I can't guarantee the repair even using HMs parts because the mounts are literally just epoxied on at angles that cause the plywood to sheer off sometimes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TheGoonspiracist posted:

Oh dang, that looks amazing.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

TheGoonspiracist posted:

The only knock off I'd buy is the aircraft one and it looks like it's not being made anymore.

I replaced all the mounts on it and it turned out as good as I can hope for, but I hate that I can't guarantee the repair even using HMs parts because the mounts are literally just epoxied on at angles that cause the plywood to sheer off sometimes.

$9k and it’s… glued together? Jesus gently caress

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

tehinternet posted:

It's more of a problem with the vintage ones, because the neoprene shock mount just gets hard or the glue goes bad. The new ones have newer versions of the mount and a different epoxy that I'm pretty sure is a variation of a 3M adhesive or something they came up with in house.

But yeah it's got 4 places on every chair that can be a point of failure. It's technically the only flaw in the design. Can't really blame Charles for not knowing Americans were just going to become overweight tubs of lard 60 years later.

Here's one of the recommended glues that I found while doing research if anyone needs it to fix anything crazy.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Is it Eems or Ames? I've only ever seen such posh furniture on Frasier

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

codo27 posted:

Is it Eems or Ames? I've only ever seen such posh furniture on Frasier

Eames

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKVVJSUvYcs

I like the white on white custom one used in Tron Legacy.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

tehinternet posted:

Don't get into a modern airliner if you don't like adhesives

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

Those are superior aviation-grade adhesives though

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Good enough for 9/11, good enough for me :colbert:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

TheGoonspiracist posted:

hell yeah sick work dude. how old is that chair? i need to get the basepad of mine resurfaced after a few years of kitten fights.

tehinternet posted:

i've got bad news about how virtually everything has been assembled since the 1950s.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

TenementFunster posted:

hell yeah sick work dude. how old is that chair? i need to get the basepad of mine resurfaced after a few years of kitten fights.

i've got bad news about how virtually everything has been assembled since the 1950s.

I think it was a 80s model, might be a Rosewood one, but I can't remember when they switched to a more sustainable look alike.

Most the epoxy I use when fixing stuff has a sheer test of 1100 pounds. So when I fix things, if it ever breaks again it's not at the place I repaired it. It might be next to where I glued it if it does, but that's usually because it's a design flaw and it will fail in the same area.

I still need to find different office chair for my home office. I've beem setting up a home studio mixing area for work at home stuff.

I'll just have to deal with my B Aeron and that weird Vitra Figura chair until I find something better. I subcontract for the HM dealer and know the mid century modern dealers in town, so I'll come across something.

I might just have to make some custom memory foam cushion for the knock off Eames aluminum group conference chair I'm using. I like how it sits and it's super solid, but it's horrible for sitting 8 hours straight of computer/mixing work.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A real statement piece.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I went downtown(ish) this afternoon to give my butt a test drive in a bunch of very nice office chairs and I really liked the Cosm. But, I was confused because it lacks a lot of adjustment options that other chairs by the same company can have. Recline tension and limiters, etc. Even the adjustable arms option for the Cosm isn't as adjustable as the Embody's. Very odd.

I want to melt the chairs together in a mad scientist's vat so I can get a comfy seat, back and armrest material plus all the adjustable bits I could ever want.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Roumba posted:

I went downtown(ish) this afternoon to give my butt a test drive in a bunch of very nice office chairs and I really liked the Cosm. But, I was confused because it lacks a lot of adjustment options that other chairs by the same company can have. Recline tension and limiters, etc. Even the adjustable arms option for the Cosm isn't as adjustable as the Embody's. Very odd.

I want to melt the chairs together in a mad scientist's vat so I can get a comfy seat, back and armrest material plus all the adjustable bits I could ever want.

Yeah, it's a strange beast for sure. I suspect it was made more for conference rooms than a task chair, although I use mine as a task chair.

The version you tried DID have the adjustable arms instead of the "leaf" arms?

Edit: Feel free to ask any questions you like; I've been using mine for over a year now, I think. As for the "tilt limiter" or "tilt tensioner", how you sit down in the seat governs that to some extent (it's some auto-thingy)

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
They had one of each arm style. I preferred the leaf over the adjustable and fixed alternatives. I rolled it over to a desk that's the same height as mine at home and everything seemed comfortable enough.

It's the forward and back distance that gives me concern, there's less wiggle room with the leaf style, but I bet I could get used to it. Maybe it's worth a shot. In any case, the arms looked like I could swap them out if I really hated them.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Roumba posted:

They had one of each arm style. I preferred the leaf over the adjustable and fixed alternatives. I rolled it over to a desk that's the same height as mine at home and everything seemed comfortable enough.

It's the forward and back distance that gives me concern, there's less wiggle room with the leaf style, but I bet I could get used to it. Maybe it's worth a shot. In any case, the arms looked like I could swap them out if I really hated them.

The arms are an "option" item (I went with the adjustable) so I suspect it would just be a couple bolts to swap.

Because the chair always wants to recline to some degree, I have a couch-style ottoman under my desk to put my feet up on for Maximum Comfort. Did you try out the mid-back or the high-back?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
They had all three there, I'm going with the high-back once I decide on a color.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Roumba posted:

They had all three there, I'm going with the high-back once I decide on a color.

Yeah, the back support on the high-back version is unrivaled by anything else I have ever sat in.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Pretty sure the brand new replacement cylinder on my Aeron is already starting to fail after less than 3 months. Cool. Just what I needed.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

SkyeAuroline posted:

Pretty sure the brand new replacement cylinder on my Aeron is already starting to fail after less than 3 months. Cool. Just what I needed.
bro, how? must have developed a leak or was never sealed properly in the first place

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

TenementFunster posted:

bro, how? must have developed a leak or was never sealed properly in the first place

Not sure what happened to it, but I've had to adjust it up 3 times in the 4 hours I've been home today just to keep at the same height. Could be something easy to fix, could be an absolute pain in the rear end (I had to get help from a family member to get the old cylinder out, I was able to pull a Leap apart but the Aeron had me defeated). Hadn't noticed any problem before so that much, that rapidly, is surprising.

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal
I know they get a lot of hate in this thread, but I'm pleased with my Noble Icon Chair (in cognac / black). Nice and sturdy, my back feels so much better compared to a decade churning through cheap chairs.
Cleaning and conditioning the leather at the end of each month has become a relaxing ritual.

pic related (but not mine)

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

adeadcrab posted:

my back feels so much better compared to a decade churning through cheap chairs.
Cleaning and conditioning the leather at the end of each month has become a relaxing ritual.
friend, you are still churning.

also, you don’t need to put leather conditioner on polyurethane.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
When a chair's ergonomics consists of "here's a couple pillows", that's usually a bad sign. :shrug:

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

I don't like the chairs either, but presumably they got one of the real leather models...

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal

TenementFunster posted:

I’ll let you know when I move onto the next one.
And yes it’s top grain leather on the back and seat, the black is all PU leather

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

adeadcrab posted:

I’ll let you know when I move onto the next one.
And yes it’s top grain leather on the back and seat, the black is all PU leather

Yeah, not to poo poo on you because I mean, you do you — but those are all made by the same two or three companies. They make chairs for whatever company wants to sell chairs with their branding on them. Cool that you got leather though, that might last a little longer; I hope you got a solid deal.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There are some companies that actually do make their own gamer chairs instead of relying on the same OEMs as everyone else, and they are genuinely better than their competition (Secret Lab is one), though they are obviously not in the same league as high-end office furniture companies like herman miller

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
just stop buying gamer chairs.

we’re all middle-aged. do not buy the race car bed of office furniture.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TenementFunster posted:

just stop buying gamer chairs.

we’re all middle-aged. do not buy the race car bed of office furniture.

With inflation nobody can afford a whole racecar for their midlife crisis anymore. Just the chair.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A guy I used to work with had a seat from a Porsche 944 bolted down to an office chair base, but that was more of a hobby thing and I'm not sure he was even aware that the world of the gamer chair existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There are some companies that actually do make their own gamer chairs instead of relying on the same OEMs as everyone else, and they are genuinely better than their competition (Secret Lab is one), though they are obviously not in the same league as high-end office furniture companies like herman miller

Well, poo poo.